Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens Review

Poster: A snowHead
Blewyn, guess you didn't find the Blanchot - excellent Savoyarde food and cracking wine selection. There are a number of other good restaurants dotted around town mixed with some bad ones - Like the Tex Mex!

But then it is not targetting you but rather the many young Dutch and Scandies who ski hard all day and drink all night.

Zermatt is a special place but you need $$$ to stay in a decent Hotel, lunch at Zum See and dine at the Omnia.

I've had many equally memorable days skiing VT, lunching at the 2 lacs, dining at the Blanchot and making a few shapes to a live band in the Malaysia.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are 3 reasons to go to ValT; It's high, it's (relatively for it's height) cheap, and, er, no sorry, make that 2 reasons. Some of Blewyn more edgy comments notwithstanding, it's difficult to disagree with what he/she says. It is a dump, and it trades on it's geographical location to the detriment of almost everything else.

BobinCH, I've also had several memorable day's skiing there, cracking lunches at 2Lacs, but I've always been thankful to be able to get the hell out of dodge and back to civilisation.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dr John, can't say that I find it particularly cheap, but agree on the great lunches at 2lacs.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hells Bells, slope-side SC apartments can be very reasonable, hence the preponderance of young Dutch, Scandies and Brits in the place. Nothing else is, mind you....

While we're at it, doesn't anyone else think that ValT is an odd location for the second Fole Douche bar? I know it's packed every day, but how many of them are actually spending any cash? I'd have though that somewhere in the 3V with last runs down to Meribel or Courchevel would have increased the bar turnover significantly.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I want to go back to this point about the rain, and sitting in the rain, and being livid about it, or just being a mug.
I have no idea how anyone can despise a resort because one day a warm pocket of air came across the Alps along with some cloud and decided it was time to drop its load. That clearly is just moronic, to blame Val Thorens - no doubt it was raining at altitude across quite a wide area on that particular day, but to sit there on your chair like a bleating little kid and grizzle that you haven't saved your hard earned money to come to this vile resort 'WHERE IT RAINS' just makes you sound like a mug.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FranzKlammer, you've got it wrong. He said he was appalled and livid and sad and let down and disappointed and throwing all his toys out of his pram because it rained in Chamonix. At 1000m. Can you imagine? That's terribly, terribly, unlucky, isn't it? You'd be cross too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, - sensible response. I couldn't decide whether or not Blewyn was a troll but i think he might actually be really angry.

As to the main topic, Blewyn is sort of right in his description of VT. It is fairly drab and soul-less. I wouldn't say it is totally awful though. The terrain is pretty excellent, and it's a great base for getting to and from the 3V. Some of the restaurants are pretty basic but there are some little gems too - particularly some of the cafes up the slopes.

When we stayed there last March we ate out every lunch and dinner and had mostly great dining experiences. I'll grant you that we didn't stop for lunch in VT village itself but there are lots of great cafes close to the slopes which are all pretty accessible. We had a cracking long lunch in the wee traditional place in St Martin de Belleville (can't remember the name but some knowledgeable snowHead is bound to correct me).

Overall, as i went there for the skiing, and the likelihood of good snow, i was very happy. Sure i'd prefer it if was a bit nicer and there was a bit more soul to the place but like rob@rar says, it's rare to get everything in one package.

PS Belwyn - where are you going this year?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Holy raindrops, pam w, thanks for pointing that out. Drizzle at 1000m ? I'd never go there again.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Reminds me of the time I went to Oman and the bloody sun wouldn't stop shining.
The amount of money I had to spend on suncream........
And that was money I had to work for.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr John, SnowHeads were very disappointed with the Folie Douce , as we couldn't take over the terrace like we had on previous occasions.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
..... so we took over the Montana insetad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well one of the key selling points for VT is exactly why Blewyn went there - it's very high. Of course it's drab up there - so is Tignes. Cosy places with nice pretty chalets and trees aren't snow sure at the end of April.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nbt wrote:
Schuss in Boots wrote:
Blewyn wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking forward to re-visiting VT in mid April 2011 and staying at Oxalys with the FaSB I take it you're not one on the 'paid up' snowHead group? wink
I don't even know what that means....

You might want to look up the SFaB (or more importantly the EoSB) in the snowEvents.... and then you might also understand why sHs are rather keen on Val T.

It may be all the things that you have said, but when push comes to shove, it has rather a special significance for a lot of snowHeads and you won't change that no matter how strongly you feel that you've paid for it to snow as part of the package price. rolling eyes

why SOME sHs are rather keen on Val T.
fixed that for you.

I'm a snowhead. I've been to VT. I've been to the EoSB. I enjoyed the EoSB part of it, but probably won't be going back until / unless it moves to another resort (or for other reasons, I've limited choices). Remember that other people are entitled to their own opinions, and not liking VT is a perfectly valid one.

Actually, you should have corrected it to...

why SOME snowheads are rather keen on THE Val T EXPERIENCE.

But then I thought I'd made that clear in the following sentence. I was trying to make the point that it was not the resort itself but the company and ensure that a relatively new poster was informed of the history. I guess I failed. Confused For clarity, I don't particularly like the resort of Val T, whilst the skiing is great the resort itself is not exactly a stunner. However, I would go back to the EoSB for the great company, atmosphere and the great skiing, particularly for late season. I certainly wouldn't give all that up on the basis of the resort not being picture perfect.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Anyone who pays money to sit in the rain is a MUG

some people might say that a MUG is someone who goes to a ski resort without understanding that there is a direct relationship between altitude and the likelihood of precipitation falling as rain.

Like I said, anyone who pays money to sit in the rain is a mug. I include myself in this. It only happened once.
Quote:
It rains a great deal at resort level in Whistler but that doesn't mean it's not a great ski resort.

Yeah, it does.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH wrote:
Blewyn, guess you didn't find the Blanchot - excellent Savoyarde food and cracking wine selection. There are a number of other good restaurants dotted around town mixed with some bad ones - Like the Tex Mex!

Right enough I don't remember a Blanchot, thanks I'll remember that if I ever get dragged back there in a group or something...
Quote:
Zermatt is a special place but you need $$$ to stay in a decent Hotel, lunch at Zum See and dine at the Omnia.
I have never dined at the Omnia !! I think my credit card would melt if I even set foot in the place Happy It is possible to stay in Zermatt for less than a king's ransom - last time we were there we took an apartment and never at in the same place twice (apart from Le Gitan - the double lamb with dauphinoise is legendary) and used the Alex's bar for late afternoon/early evening chillouts. In fact The Alex is pretty much my ideal hotel, apart from the HB thing...
snow conditions
Blewyn, can you name a resort where rain during the season is guaranteed NOT to happen?
ski holidays
On this one, I agree with Rob and the rest. Rain happens. I've had several days rained off in Flaine, and that's not exactly low
latest report
pam w wrote:
FranzKlammer, you've got it wrong. He said he was appalled and livid and sad and let down and disappointed and throwing all his toys out of his pram because it rained in Chamonix. At 1000m. Can you imagine? That's terribly, terribly, unlucky, isn't it? You'd be cross too.

The trip had been arranged by someone else - someone whose father actually LIVED in Argentiere. So you can understand I was more than a little annoyed that this "sitting in the rain" thing hadn't been explained. I guess not having intimate knowledge of weather patterns at 1000m in a foreign country in late March makes me a mug..... rolling eyes
snow conditions
Quote:

Like I said, anyone who pays money to sit in the rain is a mug.

Each to their own, I suppose.

But, as keen mountain bikers - guess what? We regularly ride in the rain.

As keen hikers, we often walk in the rain.

And, as a couple who cannot get enough turns in in the winter (we squeezed in 60 days last season), dare I whisper that we have skiied in the rain? On several occasions as it happens....

Being in the hills and mountains and experiencing the elements (whatever they may be) is what it's all about as far as we are concerned. It certainly beats sitting at work IMHO.

Mugs R Us!! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
rob@rar, i have been rained on in no less than La Rosiere
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

Good grief, is there nowhere safe from the urine of the snowgods?
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

Good grief, is there nowhere safe from the urine of the snowgods?

This is what happens when you read a post but forget the thread. I was explaining why I chose VT in the first place - because it was high (no rain) and not Zermatt. I wasn't protesting about rain in low-altitude resorts per se....but if you want to chew on that particular bone, knock yourself out. I was livid with my friends (who, admittedly, I had entrusted with arranging the holiday) for having the "musn't grumble, we'll get by" attitude. We could easily have gone to a higher resort.
latest report
Blewyn, I'm not worried about you protesting about rain in low-altitude resorts, I'm simply pointing out that this
Quote:
high (no rain)
is not a valid statement. To say that you or anyone else who skis in the rain must be a mug is to not understand mountain weather. It's unlucky to have to ski in the rain, but it does not reflect poor judgement.
snow report
jimmjimm wrote:
Reminds me of the time I went to Oman and the bloody sun wouldn't stop shining.
The amount of money I had to spend on suncream........
And that was money I had to work for.

I'm confused. Are you saying that one should expect rain every day, at a ski resort ? Or that the fact that Oman is sunny is covered up ?
snow conditions
I like Val Thorens at Easter. But that could be because I just go self catering and ski as much as I can for as little money as possible! I'm not sure I would have booked it at all if i was the more 'upmarket' type of skier Puzzled
latest report
monkey wrote:
PS Belwyn - where are you going this year?

Front runners so far are Tignes (just because the Montana looks nice, or L'Ecran du Tignes), Obergurgl (great runs by the looks of it, but v small resort/town), Zell am See (a few days in the hotel at 2300m then the Grand...?) but I'm really drawn to seeing the Eiger and the mountaintop restaurant at Murren. It doesn't look like either Murren or Grindelwald are enough to justify a 7-day stay, so I'm thinking about staying 3-4 days at each.....

Also going back to Tignes I want to have another crack at skiing all the blacks in the area in one day. I tried it 3 years ago, starting at Le Ferret as soon as the lift opened, and I made it as far as Les Campanules by early afternoon when my legs went on strike Happy
snow report
Blewyn, do be warned, it rained on me in Murren.
snow conditions
garethjomo wrote:
I like Val Thorens at Easter. But that could be because I just go self catering and ski as much as I can for as little money as possible! I'm not sure I would have booked it at all if i was the more 'upmarket' type of skier Puzzled

I think VT would be ideal for that. I'd love to do that myself...and the Snowheads deal at the Oxalys is tempting......but that doesn't change anything in my review.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells wrote:
Blewyn, do be warned, it rained on me in Murren.

What month were you there ?
latest report
Blewyn, Most people who want to ski both Murren or Grindelwald usually stay in Wengen . In 7 days you will cover all the pisted runs in the area.
snow conditions
Blewyn, March, same time we stayed in VL in Wengen, whole place was shut for the day. But that could happen anywhere, also happened in Whistler. Luck of the draw. In most places you just need to get on a lift and go higher for that rain to become snow.
snow conditions
French people miserable and rude?
I can only speak of the two places I've been, LDA (out of season) and La Norma, in both resorts everyone we met was very polite and cheerful.
ski holidays
Blewyn,

I am aware that Mountainaddict and his Mrs went to Tignes a couple of years ago in January and it p****d it down.

And they were rained on again when they skiied there this morning....
latest report
Blewyn, can't argue with Zermatt. We're there soon so will look up the Gitan. Also love the après ski on the cowhide couches and billiards table at the Alex. Think you could have done better at VT but heyho...
snow report
youspurs1, they're polite and friendly round our way too, but I think they do sometimes struggle faced with the relentless boorishness and ignorance of a certain kind of Brit brat punter in the big resorts. They don't tend to react brilliantly to the "I'm paying good money and I've bought you and if you bow and scrape enough you'll get a big tip" attitude. Walking into a shop or a bar without a polite greeting, for example, is likely to get you a slightly frosty reception.
latest report
Fair enough. We were there during the quiet week before the big Dutch party for the Queen's Birthday...

RE Zermatt book ahead for Le Gitan and have a night at the Whymperstube as well, and have a drink at Elsie's bar and a Martini at the Mont Cervin Palace bar or the bar at the Zermatterhof Happy The fondue at Cafe Du Pont is awesome.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
He said he was appalled and livid and sad and let down and disappointed and throwing all his toys out of his pram because it rained in Chamonix. At 1000m. Can you imagine?

In a SKI resort ! A place where it is supposed to be SNOWING. Pardon me for not having intimate knowledge of France's weather systems.
snow report
pam w wrote:
youspurs1, they're polite and friendly round our way too, but I think they do sometimes struggle faced with the relentless boorishness and ignorance of a certain kind of Brit brat punter in the big resorts.

Perhaps if their service level and general attitude was better - more like Switzerland or the US - they would find their customers in a better mood. I agree with you with regards to the friendly 'bonjour' as you enter a shop or bar, but IMHO it doesn't make that much difference.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Blewyn, can you name a resort where rain during the season is guaranteed NOT to happen?

Wondering if you're able to answer this...
snow report
I've been rained on in VT. Twice, different years. I'd still go back though. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy