Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens Review

Poster: A snowHead
About me - intermediate skier who likes blacks and hard reds, like to eat lots of cheese, ham & potato and drink lots of wine, and I like warm, cosy swiss-style hotels (open fire, jacuzzi etc etc). Not a fan of 'faded grandeur' or economy skiing.

We went in late April last year and chose VT because it was the only snowsure option apart from Zermatt, with which we're overfamiliar. We stayed at the Hotel Sherpa, which is 3*. The hotel itself is not bad at all - nice bar area with big open windows onto the terrace, open fire. There's a large jacuzzi and a small sauna. Otherwise it's 3*, and the staff pretty much have a 3* attitude to go with it. Most times when you approach them you are made to feel like you're interrupting. There is supposedly free wi-fi but signal strength is weak and you certainly can't watch anything on iplayer etc.

VT itself is the most ugly, drab resort I have ever stayed at. It's very much aimed at the pie&chips&beer skier, but asks gourmet prices. The reason for this is mainly that the gourmet option simply isn't available (apart from the Michelin-starred Oxalys). The local wine really sucks, and anything else will cost you your right arm. Service levels are mostly French (take it or leave it). The most ridiculous example of this that I saw were the 4 grumpy locals lounging around on the skidoos in the centre of town, who wanted more than £100 for a 1-hr ride. They basically just didn;t want to bother, and would rather turn customers away than have to make an effort. The whole resort was permeated with this attitude (notable exceptions - the charming chap that runs his own supermarket down the steps just opposite the central "mall" on the valley side, and the couple that run the Kinabalu Restaurant).

The skiing is pretty good - not as good as Zermatt / Cervinia, but definitely good. Lots of blacks and reds.

The local supermarkets are of course awesome (it's France) and you can get your reblochon vac-wrapped for the long journey home.

In summary I would avoid the place like the plague. Overpriced, staffed by grumps and butt-ugly. Far better value for money to be had elsewhere.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blewyn, why did it take you so long to get that off your chest?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Blewyn, Our experience and enjoyment is totally opposite to yours.....perhaps because we stayed at the Oxalys, indeed we did for 3 consecutive seasons snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Blewyn, maybe you need to be a bit more assertive with the staff and locals to get what you require Little Angel . The local supermarkets - if you mean in val t itself - are just what you'd expect in a resort - this is what we've got, take it or leave it. I don;t need my reblochon vacuum packed, I can buy it in Tesco cheaper. As long as the staff are butt ugly that makes me look good - result!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx wrote:
Blewyn, maybe you need to be a bit more assertive with the staff. As long as the staff are butt ugly that makes me look good - result!

Holidayloverxx , haha very good.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think La Ros has a possible new fan in Blewyn Twisted Evil

But let's be plain, you get out of a resort what you put in, people are rude if you are rude to them and I've got to say that soooooo many tourist are horribly rude, sadly all too often through wilful ignorance and obdurateness to the culture they're guests in. And let's be honest, there are at best a dozen truly pretty ski resorts so I have to ask; Do you ski for the exhilarating sport or to have smoke blown up yer butt by obsequious serfs?

VT has good terrain, some good restaurants, industry standard prices, not bad (for a resort) supermarkets . . . and, from personal experience, personable and friendly locals. Also, if you go at the right time you may meet many visitors that aren't complete proles.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing wrote:
Blewyn, Our experience and enjoyment is totally opposite to yours.....perhaps because we stayed at the Oxalys, indeed we did for 3 consecutive seasons snowHead

That doesn't alter the fact that the other restaurant options in town are poor, and the town itself is very drab and concrete. I agree the Oxalys is very nice indeed....but the pool needs to be bigger..and there's no open fire in the bar......Doi yourselves a favour and visit Zermatt. You'll never talk about VT again.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque wrote:
I think La Ros has a possible new fan in Blewyn Twisted Evil

But let's be plain, you get out of a resort what you put in,

Rubbish. Resorts trade on their name, inflating prices and dropping service levels etc to maximise profits. It's just that some do it more than others.

Who/what is La Ros ?
Quote:
people are rude if you are rude to them and I've got to say that soooooo many tourist are horribly rude

A great many tourism workers don't seem to understand that their customers are just that - customers. Not friends, neighbours or people you just met on the street. They are paying for a service, most often with money they worked hard to obtain. They expect to be served properly, and to be made to feel like the service they're paying for has been delivered. The swiss (especially the german-swiss) have this down, but the French seem to believe that taking your money means they are doing you a favour....
Quote:
And let's be honest, there are at best a dozen truly pretty ski resorts so I have to ask; Do you ski for the exhilarating sport or to have smoke blown up yer butt by obsequious serfs?

For the sport, the food, the weather (I live in the middle east), the architecture, the wine, the open fires and warm gluhvein/vin chaud, the jacuzzis and saunas. In the middle of paying for all this and having it brought to me at my table, I don't expect to be made to feel like I'm interrupting, or an inconvenience.
Quote:
VT has good terrain, some good restaurants,

Name the good restaurants. I'll give you Oxalys and the last place on the right in the little mall-style drag next to the main slope area.....but otherwise ?
Quote:
industry standard prices,
Like I said in my review - industry standard gourmet prices for three-star food. Case in point - the tex-mex place in the centre.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Blewyn, the worst, most surly, and unfriendly service I have come across was in a hotel in Switzerland (yes German-Swiss) , even serving us drinks at their over-priced bar was an inconvenience, as was having reception open for us to pay our bill when we left at 8am. Many of the party skipped dinner for the bar or went and ate elsewhere.
I've certainly not found the French in VT take it or leave it. We had excellent friendly service at several of the mountain restaurants, although I would give the restaurant we had the SnowHeads meal at last year a wide berth, but I could say that about the Schiltorn restaurant who insisted we pay for the meal we had ordered, despite telling us immediately after serving it to us, that we had to leave due to high winds.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx wrote:
Blewyn, maybe you need to be a bit more assertive with the staff and locals to get what you require Little Angel .

When I go on vacation it's because I've worked hard for some considerable time to save my money, and now I'm spending those worked hours to have a good, relaxing time. I don't want to have to be confrontational or assertive with people just to get them to deliver the service they should be as a matter of course - that will get in the way of the "relaxing " bit I mentioned earlier. As I have already pointed out, there are resorts where the business owners/managers have cottoned on to this - that their job is to deliver a good time. Most of VT's haven't.
Quote:
The local supermarkets - if you mean in val t itself - are just what you'd expect in a resort - this is what we've got, take it or leave it. I don;t need my reblochon vacuum packed, I can buy it in Tesco cheaper.

If you read my post again you will see that I was complimenting the supermarkets. I love French food, and the supermarkets were great, especially considering their size. I need my relochon vac packed because a) it's not available here in Muscat, and b) it's warm here. It keeps better.
Quote:
As long as the staff are butt ugly that makes me look good - result!

I meant the resort is butt ugly, not the staff. Sorry to hear about your unfortunate conditon. May I suggest a stay in Aberdeen, skiing the Scottish "resorts"...?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Blewyn, why did it take you so long to get that off your chest?

New on snowheads...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Blewyn, I'm not clear why - given what you like - you went to VT in the first place. You say because it was the only snow-sure resort other than Zermatt but that's hardly the case, is it? Tignes, Val D,Isere, Obergurgl, Obertauern, Les Deux Alpes, Chamonix/Grand Montets, Saas Fee? And the nature of VT is very easily appreciated from reviews - I've only spent a day there but it was exactly as I expected - and I enjoyed my day despite having forgotten my socks and skiing for the first time in bare feet (it was a very warm day....).

Nobody goes to VT for a cosy and upmarket ambiance, or an array of world class restaurants, or Swiss-style service or chocolate box chalets. They go because it's high and snow sure with lots of skiing available till late in the season. It does what it says on the tin. When I went there (in a very warm early April) the whole valley was green until Les Menuires but VT produced good snow and good skiing. I paid far too much for a very unimpressive French (sic) onion soup but should have had the wit to take some cheese sandwiches.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells wrote:
Blewyn, the worst, most surly, and unfriendly service I have come across was in a hotel in Switzerland (yes German-Swiss) , even serving us drinks at their over-priced bar was an inconvenience, as was having reception open for us to pay our bill when we left at 8am. Many of the party skipped dinner for the bar or went and ate elsewhere.

Which one was it ?
Quote:
I've certainly not found the French in VT take it or leave it. We had excellent friendly service at several of the mountain restaurants, although I would give the restaurant we had the SnowHeads meal at last year a wide berth, but I could say that about the Schiltorn restaurant who insisted we pay for the meal we had ordered, despite telling us immediately after serving it to us, that we had to leave due to high winds.

I'm not basing my opinions on just one event - we have skiied in France about 10 times, and Switzerland 4 times. My experience has been consistent - French lazy and rude and expensive, Swiss polite, efficient and not so expensive. Believe me when I tell you I'm not some entitlement-obsessed toff or football yob that's out to rub people up the wrong way - I just expect decent service and, not value for money but not a blatant bait-and-switch either.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Blewyn, it was the Victoria-Lauberhorn in Wengen.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Blewyn, I'm not clear why - given what you like - you went to VT in the first place. You say because it was the only snow-sure resort other than Zermatt but that's hardly the case, is it? Tignes, Val D,Isere, Obergurgl, Obertauern, Les Deux Alpes, Chamonix/Grand Montets, Saas Fee?

Not snowsure in late April. I went to Chamonix in March 2000 and had to catch my 1st chairlift in the RAIN !! The f***ing RAIN !! I was livid - to have paid actual money earned through actual work to sit in the rain, while my friends did the usual British "oh it's not so bad" thing.

Quote:
And the nature of VT is very easily appreciated from reviews - I've only spent a day there but it was exactly as I expected
I wasn't expecting Zermatt or St Anton, but neither was I expecting quite the chavvishness of the place or the indifferent service and ripoff pricing.

Quote:
Nobody goes to VT for a cosy and upmarket ambiance, or an array of world class restaurants, or Swiss-style service or chocolate box chalets. They go because it's high and snow sure with lots of skiing available till late in the season. It does what it says on the tin. When I went there (in a very warm early April) the whole valley was green until Les Menuires but VT produced good snow and good skiing.

Agreed. Good skiing but like you said it does what it says on the tin. And what it says is "Butt Ugly Resort, Decent Skiing Ripoff Prices". Not sure why so many of you on here seem to think it's wrong to point this out. I consider it a service to my fellow skier. As I said already, don't take my word for it, try Zermatt. You'll never go to VT again.
Quote:
I paid far too much for a very unimpressive French (sic) onion soup but should have had the wit to take some cheese sandwiches.

OMG did I really read what I just read ? You PAY your OWN MONEY to go somewhere then chide yourself for not having taken CHEESE SANDWICHES ??? I have NEVER, EVER, EVER walked out of a mountain restaurant and thought "well that was crap, serves me right for not bringing my own cheese sandwiches !"
latest report
Blewyn, I know you were complimenting the supermarkets; I was just taking a contrary view.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
Blewyn, it was the Victoria-Lauberhorn in Wengen.

Tripadvisor agrees with you....Looks like the attitude has gone downhill since the hotel went corporate. Thanks for the tip !
ski holidays
In fairness, I support the OP. I went to La Tania many years ago and after that said I wouldn't bother going back to the 3 valleys. I went to VT with the eosb as I reasoned that I'd not skiied VT, we never made it that far over. I can't say I'd be in a hurry to spend my own money to go back, although at the eosb the company more than made up for the shortcomings elsewhere

and to the OP, if it's service with a smile you want, try skiing north america. They *really* understand what customer service means
snow report
Blewyn, look forward to hearing more of your posts...
snow conditions
Blewyn, Sorry you had such a bad experience in VT. That differs significantly to my many recent visits. I agree it's not the cozy pretty environment in some Swiss or Austrian resorts. But if you went there thinking you were going to get that, then you were wrongly advised. BTW, if you want to compare drab, try Flaine !
It seems the only thing you can compliment in VT is the supermarkets, how sad. Sad Maybe that's a plus to for the many self catering visitors.
I've stayed at Hotel Bel Horizon and Hotel Le Val Thorens. the apartments at L'Oxalys and Les Olympiades. Olympiades were basic apartments with a lot of the hustle and bustle associated. At all the other accommodation the staff were very helpful and with the odd minor exception, the food was good. BTW, I have not yet experienced the Michelin star restaurant, maybe next April. Very Happy

I'm only responding as ( stated above) my experience differs so widely from yours.
It's highly likely, therefore, that I've got such low standards that the area ticks so many of my late April skiing requirements. If you were after a higher quality hotel, maybe you should have chosen the Fitzroy rather than the Sherpa?
ski holidays
nbt wrote:
and to the OP, if it's service with a smile you want, try skiing north america. They *really* understand what customer service means

I agree ! Skiied Lake Tahoe in 97 and yes indeed amazing food, great service, great lifts, no complaints at all. It really is tempting to subject myself to the 20-hr journey from here in Oman to - say, Blackcomb - but surely I can find somewhere that fits the bill in Europe ?
ski holidays
BMF_Skier wrote:
I'm only responding as ( stated above) my experience differs so widely from yours.
It's highly likely, therefore, that I've got such low standards that the area ticks so many of my late April skiing requirements. If you were after a higher quality hotel, maybe you should have chosen the Fitzroy rather than the Sherpa?

But the Sherpa was the closest we could find to what we actually wanted - cosy, open fire, jacuzzi etc. I did kick myself for not trying the FitzRoy but when we went there for drinks we weren't that impressed. The place was obviously designed to look 4***....but it was kinda spartan. No real love of the place was evident. All the Sherpa needs is some attitude readjustment for the staff...
snow report
Blewyn, Flaine may be drab but we did actually enjoy great food and great service there. Unfortunately the hotel is no more, and is now a UCPA hostel. It has a fantastic open fire in the bar.
snow conditions
Blewyn, I'll repeat, 'my experience differs so widely from yours' , I have also been in the Fitzroy, (I believe it's the partner hotel to Le Val Thorens) and again our experiences differ. I'm a budget price skier, maybe that the difference?
My experience of US 'service' was sicking 'have nice day' hypocrisy, with one intention of receiving a gratuity (tipping) but then that's where many state side employees make there basic rate up. I understand that and say 'good luck' to them! Blewyn, shall we agree that, I stay clear of the USA and, you stay clear of France and VT, and every one is happy? wink
I'm looking forward to re-visiting VT in mid April 2011 and staying at Oxalys with the FaSB snowHead organised visit. Very Happy I take it you're not one on the 'paid up' snowHead group? wink

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 14-11-10 21:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
BMF_Skier, I did enjoy Banff, but didn't find it quite so 'American' as Whistler, which wasn't even amazingly family friendly. We had a 16 and 17 year old who weren't even allowed into a lot of the restaurants in the evenings. As we didn't want pizza or Chinese every night, we were well annoyed. Kids preferred Banff too, and they were welcome everywhere we went with them.
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
BMF_Skier, I did enjoy Banff, but didn't find it quite so 'American' as Whistler, which wasn't even amazingly family friendly. We had a 16 and 17 year old who weren't even allowed into a lot of the restaurants in the evenings. As we didn't want pizza or Chinese every night, we were well annoyed. Kids preferred Banff too, and they were welcome everywhere we went with them.
Hells Bells Hey, I was 'carded' in the USA when I was 30+. coz it was the 'rules! And they still expected a gratuity! rolling eyes BTW, it was declined !!! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Blewyn wrote:
I went to Chamonix in March 2000 and had to catch my 1st chairlift in the RAIN !! The f***ing RAIN !! I was livid - to have paid actual money earned through actual work to sit in the rain, while my friends did the usual British "oh it's not so bad" thing

You can get rain at resort level, and much higher above, at just about any time of the season. It's mountain weather so you can get livid about it, or you can accept that the snowgods mostly giveth but sometimes they taketh away. Either way there's nothing you can do about it other than invest in Goretex and MTFU.

You have a much wider choice of resorts than just Zermatt and VT if you want to improve your chances of end of season snow (I was skiing boot deep powder on 9 May in Hintertux, for example) but generally the quaint, 'traditional' village ski resorts are found at lower altitudes. It's therefore difficult to combine high, chocolate-box and late season snow. You can normally perm two from three, but not have the lot.
ski holidays
BMF_Skier, I have a friend now in his 60's who was refused a drink in a New Orleans hotel because he couldn't prove his age. He is bald, white-haired and overweight. He got out his driving licence, but it had no photo ID. His passport has been taken by hotel reception for registration purposes. When they finally all got their ID back, they weren't even allowed to buy more than one drink without taking all of the passports to the bar on each occasion. I'll stick to France I think.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells, Minimum_2, bought hs first beer in Les Arcs 2010, he was 7 years old at the time!
His vocal 'une grande bière si vous plait' brought gasps from the enesembled grunge crew behind him. Particularly when the 'proprietor' said oui monsieur!
BTW it was for me, ( a ski service debt) but the effect was epic! Laughing
latest report
BMF_Skier, France have tightened up on 'mineurs' buying alcohol, law is now 18 in supermarkets and bars, but not sure how it works in practise though if you are with an adult.
snow report
Hells Bells, I understand about the rules.
I was 3 people behind him in the queue, and the proprietor did give me the nod. Minimum_2 wasn't aware of this and neither were the others in the queue. It was conversation stopping!
BTW, we had been in there nearly every day and the kids had been practising their french with the the staff. Another example of excellent customer service. I can guarantee this would have never happened in the USA though!

We just need to stop Minimum_1 from ordering Xante\apple juice each time she goes in there! Laughing Laughing
latest report
BMF_Skier, I'm not implying that there was anything wrong with him buying the beer, just wondering if he would be able to any more.
snow conditions
Hells Bells, There was plenty wrong with him buying beer! wink It just showed the manager had a sense of humour! Very Happy At one beer per ski service, he still owes me several! So I hope the quality of French bar service continues. Very Happy wink Laughing Laughing
snow report
BMF_Skier, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
You can get rain at resort level, and much higher above, at just about any time of the season. It's mountain weather so you can get livid about it, or you can accept that the snowgods mostly giveth but sometimes they taketh away. Either way there's nothing you can do about it other than invest in Goretex and MTFU.

Anyone who pays money to sit in the rain is a MUG.
snow conditions
BMF_Skier wrote:
My experience of US 'service' was sicking 'have nice day' hypocrisy, with one intention of receiving a gratuity (tipping) but then that's where many state side employees make there basic rate up.

There's no more sincere form of gratitude.
Quote:
shall we agree that, I stay clear of the USA and, you stay clear of France and VT, and every one is happy? wink
Er...no. This isn't a competition. We are'nt supporting rival 'teams' represented by our preferred ski resorts !! I'm trying to help my fellow skiers from making the same mistake that I did - choosing VT because it has late-season snow. Obviously some people like VT, but I think I've described it fairly.
Quote:
I'm looking forward to re-visiting VT in mid April 2011 and staying at Oxalys with the FaSB I take it you're not one on the 'paid up' snowHead group? wink
I don't even know what that means....
ski holidays
Blewyn wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking forward to re-visiting VT in mid April 2011 and staying at Oxalys with the FaSB I take it you're not one on the 'paid up' snowHead group? wink

You might want to look up the SFaB (or more importantly the EoSB) in the snowEvents.... and then you might also understand why sHs are rather keen on Val T.

It may be all the things that you have said, but when push comes to shove, it has rather a special significance for a lot of snowHeads and you won't change that no matter how strongly you feel that you've paid for it to snow as part of the package price. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Blewyn wrote:
Anyone who pays money to sit in the rain is a MUG.

I wouldn't know; if I'm skiing in the rain it's because I'm being paid to. On the other hand I do know that anyone who thinks that only idiots ski in the rain is an inexperienced skier who doesn't know much about the mountains.

If you don't want to ski n the rain that's perfectly fine. It's not a brilliant experience and there are probably better things to do on the rare occasions that it happens, like chill out in that impossibly perfect B&B in the impossibly perfect resort that we're always searching for. But getting "livid" just seems a bit silly.
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots wrote:
Blewyn wrote:
Quote:

You might want to look up the SFaB (or more importantly the EoSB) in the snowEvents.... and then you might also understand why sHs are rather keen on Val T.

It may be all the things that you have said, but when push comes to shove, it has rather a special significance for a lot of snowHeads and you won't change that no matter how strongly you feel that you've paid for it to snow as part of the package price. rolling eyes

why SOME sHs are rather keen on Val T.
fixed that for you.

I'm a snowhead. I've been to VT. I've been to the EOSB. I enjoyed the EOSB part of it, but probably won't be going back until / unless it moves to another resort (or for other reasons, I've limited choices). Remember that other people are entitled to their own opinions, and not liking VT is a perfectly valid one.
ski holidays
Quote:

Anyone who pays money to sit in the rain is a MUG

some people might say that a MUG is someone who goes to a ski resort without understanding that there is a direct relationship between altitude and the likelihood of precipitation falling as rain. It rains a great deal at resort level in Whistler but that doesn't mean it's not a great ski resort.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy