Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My Non Skiing Friend Wants a Skiing Honeymoon?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
lightningdan, He has, yes.....I like my men burly and masculine, not feminine and girly like you
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Voice of Reason, man, you're on fire this morning - some first rate last few posts - Laughing Laughing Laughing ROFLMAO
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not Chamonix - the skiing is not suitable for beginners and the steep mountains keep the village in the shade for much of the time. Switzerland is very expensive at the moment.
In general the small resorts are better value (and they don't need a big ski area or demanding runs). Austria has lots of places but the French Haute Maurienne area is also good value.
However, talking about the famous places: from Kitzbuhel I know you can do a day trip by bus to Saltzburg and the mediaeval town centre is picturesque.
The Sella Ronda area is probably the most spectacular scenery and most of the skiing is easy so you can get around a bit when you have got past the total beginner stage.
Wengen is traffic free and half way up the mountain and you can go up the mountain on the cog railway (and then down to Grindelwald, or accross to picturesque Murren with its revolving restaurant at the top of the cable-car - featured in the James Bond Movie) - and continue up the cog railway through the Eiger (stopping to look out through a window in the famous North Face) to glaciers at the top. All this without even skiing if you don't want to. Mind you, being Switzerland it may be too expensive - I haven't been there for a very long time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowball, for honeymooners not focussed on skiing, a few afternoons messing about on the nursery slope is probably fine. Les Houches is an option for ducks-to-water.

See http://www.nomadicski.com/winter/beginner_slopes.php

Quote:
LE SAVOY
The Savoy slope is situated within walking distance of town, at the foot of the major ski area of Brevent.. It has two drag lifts, the larger of which is adjacent to the Brevent car park. There is also a free magic carpet lift for those who have just graduated from walking up the hill.

The snack bar is known to do a good hotdog.

LES PLANARDS
The other beginner ski area in Chamonix town is Les Planards. It boasts a chair lift as well as two drag lifts and offers the biggest variety for a mixed group of learners. It has Green, Blue and Red runs as well as the best restaurant of all the beginner areas. Ideal for big groups with different skill and energy levels.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Voice of Reason wrote:
lightningdan, He has, yes.....I like my men burly and masculine, not feminine and girly like you

Excellent , p1ssed myself laughing, found something that will make me as masculine as you like them....

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.beardhead.com/images/lumberjack.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.beardhead.com/lumberjack.html&usg=__giMYWbWu-gAi1ods0rgsGrtkAEk=&h=500&w=500&sz=78&hl=en&start=10&sig2=AYhELV38ZwPVLPpyrvrwhA&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=wZE7JnnPEnuQAM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlumberjack%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=bQLUTICBBZG7jAe52vnMCQ
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lightningdan, Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you Chasseur, I might get one for fun, you want me to order you one? snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bertie bassett wrote:
lynseyf wrote:
Why don't they go to some small less well know resort, much more likely to get luxury for their budget. A friend of mine stayed in a chalet with a hot tub for NY week for about £150. It was near somewhere bigger like Morzine I think but wasn't lift linked and required buses to get to a big ski area but would be ideal for beginners. Bigger, better know resorts tend to be more expensive so why pay for all those slopes that you're not going to ski, particulalrly as thye want more of a winter holiday than a full on ski holiday.

Not sure I agree with that one - do complete beginners really want the hasssle of getting kit together and pulling boots on, walking to the bus-stop and then hanging around for bus etc when they're in rush to make the morning lessons...only to fijnd they've left their gloves / hat / sunnies / lift ticket back at the appartment

Not for me - if i was a beginner

I meant it would be ideal for beginners as they don't need a huge area so wouldn't need to get a bus but would probably be happy with small local slopes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agenterre wrote:
Wardster00, They've lost the plot.

New Wife/Husband - Major Stress -- Learn skiing Together? --- The possibility that MAYBE one of them hates it ...... Divorce the day after

Be a good mate and send them to Mauritius so that their (hopefully) long marriage kicks of with a bit of self-indulgence. If they must do the 'Challenge' thing then send them sky-diving for one day of that.

Skiing is more important than a marriage.

Go to Zermatt, Switzerland, for 2 weeks in early-March.

Budget 5 - 10k.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If they're going to fall apart as fast as some of the pessimists in this thread suggest, then I'd say the sooner the better. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
How about Megeve, where there is now a branch of the BASS? Accommodation for all budgets except low ones, lovely car free town centre, posh shops, absurdly posh restaurants if they're into that. Easy transfer from Geneva. Mont Blanc in yer face. Plenty to do apart from ski.

I don't stay in Megeve (cos our place isn't far away) but a number of snowheads do and could probably recommend nice chalets etc.

First week of February recommended.

You could try Simon Butler Skiing, but they may not have availability then. The plus point is that tuition by British instructors is part of the package, which is pretty good value for money. They have two chalet-hotels - you'd want the Chalet d'Antoine for the luxury element.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

with the privacy you'd want on a honeymoon, double your budget.

Not sure what the above means really. Puzzled

We spent our honeymoon on the Isle of Arran in 1986 in a (then) £7 a night B & B.

We had a great time and it was certainly private enough for (cough) our requirements... wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No I don't know what that's supposed to mean either - unless the alternative were an 8 bedded UCPA hostel surely even honeymooners only need a room to themselves? These folks have said they'd like to go on a skiing holiday together. Why are so many people who don't know them from Adam and Eve assuming that they're crazy?

I'd have loved to be able to afford to go skiing on my honeymoon. We had one night in Chipping Norton then went to stay with the OH's aunt and uncle who lived in a very nice house in East Anglia. We made do with just the one room. wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow wrote:
Lake Tahoe

I could think of worse honeymoons than a weekend in San Francisco before or after spending midweek in Tahoe...could even have a night or lunch in Napa Valley. Airfare would be the trick given the budget.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy