Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My Non Skiing Friend Wants a Skiing Honeymoon?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,

I have been tasked by a friend to research a skiiing honeymoon. He and his future wife have never been skiing before but like the idea of a holiday in the mountains and learning to ski. Skiing will be not be the most important thing on this holiday but it is an excuse to spoil themselves and get the chance to try skiing for the first time.

In the first instance I'm looking for resort choices to give them some guidance, but if anybody is a chalet onwer then please let me know what you can offer. - Thanks!

The requirements are as follows:

Good for beginners- Obvioulsy!!

Picturesque/Spectacular - I'm thinking Austria? - Custom built resorts are a definite no.

A private hot tub - Mountain views preferable (It is their honeymoon!!!)

A few bars/restaurants within reach

Around Febuary has been mentioned but flexible

Total budget around £2,000 (package deals and DIY)

Please let me know any suggestions and I will pass them onto the happy couple.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wardster00, They've lost the plot.

New Wife/Husband - Major Stress -- Learn skiing Together? --- The possibility that MAYBE one of them hates it ...... Divorce the day after

Be a good mate and send them to Mauritius so that their (hopefully) long marriage kicks of with a bit of self-indulgence. If they must do the 'Challenge' thing then send them sky-diving for one day of that.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agenterre,

To be honest it's more about the mountains and scenery than the skiing. Skiing is just a bonus. If they give up after a day then fine I'm sure that a newly married couple will find some other activities to keep them amused!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wardster00, Then the answer is Zermatt -- loads of 5* hotels .. just take €1000 more spending money. Greatest mountain views "In The World" ( a la Clarkson) and the beds don't squeak.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hotel Albert Premier in Chamonix. Nursery slope is not too far to walk to, but needs snow at town level.

If you don't mind travelling to the slopes, try Zermatt or Cortina.

Not saying these are the tip top, but they can start the ball rolling so that others jump in with far better places.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
maybe chateau whistler Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think if they want luxury, and let's face it a honeymoon is 'supposed' to be a once in a lifetime experience, their budget is probably not going to get them very far. A couple would easily spend that on a normal skiing holiday and I'm guessing this pair do not want to self cater in a high-rise French shoebox.

They'd certainly find a 'normal' fully catered ski holiday in a chocolate-box pretty resort in Austria, but the private hot tub might be a bit of a stretch. Somewhere like Zell Am See would would tick all the boxes, the view of the lake from up high is pretty spectacular. Or they might want to consider the Dolomites in Italy for truly stunning scenery. January or March are generally much cheaper than February. When is the actual big day?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ah - I didn't notice the budget...probably wouldn't be enough for chateau whistler.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lake Tahoe
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia, Wardster00, yes I agree, take out the private hot tub bit and the rest is probably achievable, and poss avoid February depending where going Very Happy

Wasn't our honeymoon, but we 'discovered' skiing by wanting a snowy, mountain holiday and decided that we might as well try skiing while there Laughing Now look at me, it's taken over my life.

ps have they thought about registering as snowHeads yet?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agenterre, how old are you then? Nothing particularly stressy about being newly married these days - there's a try before you buy policy going on now. Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If I cast my mind back to my first ski trip at the age of 20....

Went with my girlfriend, and we were full of energy for many activities ( wink )at that time.

Learning to ski was so knackering that we went the week with minimal other activities as we were just too tired in the evenings.

Bad idea for a honeymoon I think!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd suggest the Trofana Royal in Ischgl, but not on that budget....total budget of a grand each, all in, in February, with private hot tubs on the balcony? I wish them the very best of British luck in their quest....

Oh, and you forgot to say '....within an hour of Geneva'
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow, Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds like a recipe for disaster, Friends of mine had their first joint skiing holiday for his 40th, they went to Canada, and after 2 days lessons she gave up, and spent a miserable week in the hotel, plan was her to gain the basics and join him for some crusing later in the week!
snow conditions
cockerhoop, not the same thing though - the OP's friends are both total newbies so will - as it were - lose their virginity together on honeymoon (an old fashioned concept)

Zermatt is not a good chioce for beginners IMV, dolomites a better bet perhaps - fly to Venice and have a couple of days there at the end of the ski-week?
ski holidays
red 27, in Zermatt one could stay in one of those hotels on the slopes - perhaps they have in-house tuition on gentle slopes nearby?
latest report
Yes, like everyone says, budget completely inadequate for what they want, which should include top, top, top, class tuition.

No need to avoid France (though avoiding it during the French school hols would be a good idea). France is often where the best instruction is to be found (provocative statement I know).

How about Megeve, where there is now a branch of the BASS? Accommodation for all budgets except low ones, lovely car free town centre, posh shops, absurdly posh restaurants if they're into that. Easy transfer from Geneva. Mont Blanc in yer face. Plenty to do apart from ski.

I don't stay in Megeve (cos our place isn't far away) but a number of snowheads do and could probably recommend nice chalets etc.

First week of February recommended.
snow report
Jasper park lodge. One of the loveliest places i have ever stayed.

Loads of wildlife, hot tubs, croos countrysking, snow shoeing, ice canyons, skating on frozen lakes with hot chocolate and fire pits.

Reasonable skiing, spectacular mountains, good instruction.
latest report
I can't think of a much worse idea for a honeymoon. They could hate it. It's unlikely, but it will be exhausting, it is not a teambuilding activity - it is one where usually someone progresses quicker than someone else due to natural ability, and I don't think they realise how much their spec is going to cost.

For what you want, in a place that I would actually consider acceptable with the privacy you'd want on a honeymoon, double your budget. And put spending money on top of that. £2K each makes it possible, but that's assuming it's not a peak week - from late January to March you may struggle for that much.

I'd also be very careful about getting caught in the middle here. Even if you just give them the options, if they hate it, it could turn on you pretty quickly as the couple look for someone to blame...
ski holidays
Agreed with everyone else, if it wasn't for the budget I would suggest Zermatt, we felt that this place had the most for non-skiiers over the other ski resorts we had been to.

Given not, maybe Austria, fantastic scenery without a doubt, but as I said, I agree with all the previous comments.
snow report
>Major pimp<

Arc1950

They might not get exactly what they want for the budget, and you may have to share the tubs (occasionally), but it is a superb opportunity for up-market ( read large), slopeside accomodation with spectacular views, a great range of restaurants either in or nearby, the chocolate box (some say disneyfied) surroundings, inclusive street entertainments and parties, and a ski school and domain that can cater for your needs. And if they hate skiing (? not sure why? wink ), well, there's the swimming pools, and sauna and R&R lounges, and cafes, the snow shoeing, the huskie sleds, the fireworks, and up at 2000 the bowling and cinema.

Magical.

/>major pimp<

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 4-11-10 14:16; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Thanks all for your recommendations so far. The budget is just for accomodation and flights and if they forego the hot tub, this can be just about done.

Monium - I take you point about thi being somewhat of a poisoned chalice, so I have put a fairly strong caveat that I am just pointing them in the direction of recommended places and the decision is theirs.

The big day is at the end of november but they are not looking to go on honeymoon straightaway. I have had an initial search and found the following that sit around the budget, if anybody has personal experiences of these places then please let me know.

http://www.igluski.com/grindelwald/grand-hotel-regina_p1995?holidayid=25587825

http://www.igluski.com/kitzbuhel/hotel-erika_p22597?holidayid=25151173

http://www.igluski.com/seefeld/astoria-relax--spa-hotel_p4127?holidayid=27826633

http://www.igluski.com/kaprun/tauern-spa-hotel_p30819?holidayid=27180371

Cheers
snow report
Kitzbuhel or Ischgl Kitz maybe has more non-skiing activities, and the Wilder Kaiser mountains are pretty special. Budget might be a problem though.

Or maybe Innsbruck? Gorgeous romantic city surrounded by stunning mountains (can't wait to get back up Nordkette), lot's of nice little ski areas around with short free busses (on the same lift pass) that are all cute and chocolate boxy, plus the Stubai glacier if snow is a little thin on the ground.
snow report
Wardster00, Grindelwald is a good idea - mountain scenery second to none (literally) and it's a pretty village with a nice exclusive feel and that hotel is certainly in a great location and I think is meant to be one of the best in the village - although I haven't stayed there.

Switzerland generally has great hotels and service levels - out of those 4 that would be defintely be top chioce for me. Kitzbuhel might be too lively/rowdy for a honeymoon perhaps?

I love the idea of a ski honeymoon - better than going to the cliched Maldives and suffer the locals ill-disguised contempt for you wink
snow report
I've not been there, but have read recently that Garmisch Partenkirchen in Germany is supposed to rather nice. Perhaps someone who knows the place could comment on whether it meets most of the criteria.
snow conditions
Wardster00 wrote:
I have been tasked by a friend to research a skiiing honeymoon.

I wouldn't mind doing a bit of research. I'd be OK with the skiing but would need honeymooning practice.
snow report
Wardster00 wrote:
I have been tasked by a friend to research a skiiing honeymoon.

I wouldn't mind doing a bit of research. I'd be OK with the skiing but would need honeymooning practice. wink

Seriously, forget the skiing. I think the idea of snow outside the window and a roaring log fire very romantic, better than sweating on a beach. What about the White Horse Inn, a romantic spa hotel by Lake Wolfgang in Austria ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lechbob - The White Horse looks great , I'll pass it on.

I agree with the research part, looking at all these fantstic hotels in the mounatins is killing me! I'll just have to put up with sharing a self catering appartment somewhere with 5 other blokes drying their sweaty socks on the radiator. Jagermeister and a grostl dinner generally takes your mind off the accomodation though.
latest report
How about a Scandinavian resort? I don't have any experience, but I've always imagined that if I wanted pretty huts and plenty of non-skiing activities (husky-sledding) with a bit of skiing thrown in then Norway, Sweden or Finland would be a reasonable option...
ski holidays
ChrisWo, Abisco, Sweden - Telemark to forest huts with all the primitive conveniences miles from anywhere - now THAT is a honeymoon! Why? Because the winter nights are about 20* hours long. wink

* time of winter depending.

You can also learn to ski at Abisco. A good time to go if a beginner - because it would be very unchallenging once you've learnt.
ski holidays
Why don't they go to some small less well know resort, much more likely to get luxury for their budget. A friend of mine stayed in a chalet with a hot tub for NY week for about £150. It was near somewhere bigger like Morzine I think but wasn't lift linked and required buses to get to a big ski area but would be ideal for beginners. Bigger, better know resorts tend to be more expensive so why pay for all those slopes that you're not going to ski, particulalrly as thye want more of a winter holiday than a full on ski holiday.

I would also recommend group lessons for the reasons someone said above about someone being better than the other. I went my first skiing holiday with my boyfriend and he picked it up much better than me, however I got on better than loads of other people in our group so I still felt pretty good, might have been slightly more depressing if it was just the two of us with an instructor, him doing everything right first time and me not Sad They'll have plenty of time on their own outside of lessons.
snow report
ChrisWo, Another vote for a Scandinavian option - I think Norway might be out of the budget, but you could definitely get a nice little private, triple glazed log cabin with a real fire and snowy woodland view in Finland. Beginner ski tuition is excellent, and there's plenty of other snowy activities on offer like husky riding, reindeer outings, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, Northern Lights walks etc.

Going later in the season will allow for more daylight, and there won't be a problem with a lack of snow! Not sure which resorts would be best for restaurants etc. Maybe Rjukan, Yllas or Levi?
ski holidays
lynseyf wrote:
Why don't they go to some small less well know resort, much more likely to get luxury for their budget. A friend of mine stayed in a chalet with a hot tub for NY week for about £150. It was near somewhere bigger like Morzine I think but wasn't lift linked and required buses to get to a big ski area but would be ideal for beginners. Bigger, better know resorts tend to be more expensive so why pay for all those slopes that you're not going to ski, particulalrly as thye want more of a winter holiday than a full on ski holiday.

Not sure I agree with that one - do complete beginners really want the hasssle of getting kit together and pulling boots on, walking to the bus-stop and then hanging around for bus etc when they're in rush to make the morning lessons...only to fijnd they've left their gloves / hat / sunnies / lift ticket back at the appartment

Not for me - if i was a beginner
snow conditions
Why do people keep suggesting dog sledding as an alternative 'romantic' experience? I can't see the attraction in staring at a mangy dogs 'arris for a couple of hours, particularly as all that exercise tends to make them a bit 'regular'. Still, I suppose nothing says I love you as much as picking dog turds out of your other halfs' frozen moustache.....
ski holidays
The Voice of Reason, you're supposed to look at the snow-covered trees, beautiful scenery, pretty birdies etc etc, while tucking a rug solicitously round your beloved's knees and sharing a flask if Irish coffee. Not stare fixedly up the trailing dog's ringpiece. You buffoon. Laughing Laughing
latest report
Lizzard, It's human instinct - first your nostrils twitch, as they are hit with the stench of things long dead, and your eyeline is drawn to the direction of the source, just in time to see the bomb doors crimping one off.....

Oh no, wait, that was my honeymoon, and no dogs were harmed in the making of that film
snow conditions
The Voice of Reason wrote:
Why do people keep suggesting dog sledding as an alternative 'romantic' experience? I can't see the attraction in staring at a mangy dogs 'arris for a couple of hours, particularly as all that exercise tends to make them a bit 'regular'. Still, I suppose nothing says I love you as much as picking dog turds out of your other halfs' frozen moustache.....

We did it in Norway and other than "we've ticked that box" I didnt really think anything positive of the experience. The dogs bark non stop until they get going and then - yes they do shoite all the time. Horrible watching their back ends as they try to half squat half run Sad
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, Did it myself in Canada, and learned a tip which I should pass on.......when you harness the dogs up, do not then wear the same jacket when coming back through customs in the UK. The Sniffer dogs try to mount you, resulting in the snap of latex gloves as the burly customs official takes you into the special consulting room.....
snow report
The Voice of Reason wrote:

Has your other half got a big moustache?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy