Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

one ski for occasional touring/off piste and piste

Poster: A snowHead
Not an original topic I know. But over the years I have always had just one touring ski, but use them whenever I am piste skiing too, when they are flappy on hardpack and hopeless on ice. Currently on 5 yr old Volkl Snow-wolfs. Now they seem to be somewhat narrow too (76 waist). Thinking of going wider, and wondering which skis would be a good compromise. Perhaps the best benchmark is: "What are professional guides using this season?" Also, is there a max width beyond which it creates problems following a skinning track made by others with narrower skis?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe take a look at DPS's narrower (95mm waist) offerings, and probably PM Gear too. Should help keep the weight down whilst still getting fatter.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought the convention was to have two Puzzled

wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bruce leggott, I'm not a guide or expert but I am on K2 Mount Bakers with Barons, at 121/88/108 . Probably more for the side-country, and you would not want to skin more than 2-3 hours on them - but mainly because of the bindings, and I haven't found trouble staying in tracks when skinning, on very limited skinning on them.

more informed people will be along...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Assuming you aint huge or tiny, I'd go for:
~80mm waist
~20m sidecut radius
slightly longer than you'd normally buy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would say 90mm is the new 80 personally, Its a good width for pretty much anything, personally I really like the new Salomon sentinal, although may not be the lightest thing for longer tours but performs incredibly well, If I'm mentioning that I should really mention the mantra also as they are pretty similar. Also the atomic drift is nice and light and ment to be a flat tailed lighter snoop which is an awsome ski! (haven't skied it personally but if its anything like the snoop it will be good!!)

Then the normal list also, scott mission, Atomic nomad renu (very light as no metal in the construction) k2 hardside or coomba,salomon lord...

or if your wanting incredibly light weight skis check out the dynafit skis (i can't remember the 90mm under foot ones name :-S long week) or the scott crusair (lovely ski but pretty dam pricey!)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
one ski for occasional touring/off piste and piste

Does this mean the focus is on piste sking with occassional touring / offpiste. If so why not just buy a second set of piste skis?

I'm also on Snow-wolfs (circa 2006 vintage) and have two pairs in fact (bought second pair much reduced in end of season sales). Hear the latest model that replaced the Snow wolf (Mauja?) is more robust/stiffer but also heavier.

Looking to retire my snow-wolfs to 'rock touring skis' and am also thinking of going wider for deeper days. Many tourers use Head Peak skis (now i.Peak I think 72,74,78,82 or 88 mm wide) for touring as they have a very wide operating band but they are heavy for a touring ski. I have considered going for i.peak 82 with dynafit compatible bindings / boots - the setup should be comparable in weight to my current setup i.e. Snow-wolfs with Fritschi Freerides. The scott crusair is another ski I have considered.

If money was no object then a super light yet stiff carbon touring ski (e.g. DPS Waller 95) would be great but I'd be worried about using these when base conditions aren't great as replacement cost after a core shoot wouldn't be cheap. When selecting an "allround, do it all touring / piste ski" I wouldn't go much wider than 90mm (e.g. Völkl Nanuq) but if you are heavier (than 72 kg) the optimum width might be wider for you.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am on K2 hardside with Fritschi Diamir free ride bindings, you can get K2 skins but I opted for a cheaper set as the ski and binding combination is not cheap!
I am an expert skiier and love these skiis, they are stiff in the tail, i think it has a race ski construction so you can put down the edge hard if you have to. They are wide and with a little reverse rocker in the tip they really want to float. The only thing with this construction is the ski is not as light as others on the market.
On my first trip I took out two pairs skiis to save these for the back country but in the subsequent trips there was no need as the ski is very versatile.
If your wallet can handle it this is a great combination. Check them out!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all these comments. I am on the heavy side: 89kgs, 6 ft. Expert skier. I have a week hut to hut touring each year, and a week with my wife which is typically a mix of piste skiing with a couple of days or a few half days, off-piste in whatever the conditions are. Of course if/when I buy new skis, my Snow-wolfs wd remain as the touring choice. But much of the above suggests that new skis just might be so good, I wouldnt wish to go back to the old 'uns.!! Might well change to Dynafit bindings to maintain lightness with a possible heavier ski.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think (speaking from experience) that if you want a one ski quiver for resort skiing but also some touring (including multi day tours), it's hard to imagine a better ski than a Scott Mission. I've had a pair for the last 4 years (with Fristchi Freerides) and they've survived huge amounts of scottish abuse and misuse, and still ski well. I did the Haute Route in them a couple of years ago and they were fine. This season I am moving onto K2 hardsides with dynafts as a dedicated touring set up but I will be impressed if they ski as well as the scotts.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bruce leggott wrote:
I have always had just one touring ski, but use them whenever I am piste skiing too, when they are flappy on hardpack and hopeless on ice. "What are professional guides using this season?" is there a max width beyond which it creates problems following a skinning track

Scott crusair 90mm 3.3kg or Powd'air 100mm 3.6kg also came out at end of season if you want wider - Crusair review with the promo video here http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/485/

K2 Coomback 102mm 3.6kg - http://k2skis.com/skis/adventure/coomback See also Hardside and Sidestash if heavier is ok for you.

Saw a fair few guides on the Crusairs and Coombas in the Verbier/Chamonix area last season. If you ski in Chamonix you can test both at Sanglard sports.

I tried the Crusairs on this day http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62011 and subsequently bought them. Fitted with Dynafit FT12's and used for for long tours and steeps and they are light enough and stiff enough (due to carbon) for both. They also float remarkably well for a traditional camber stiff ski. The review above is very similar to my experience.

I was recommended between 90 and 100mm for steep skiing. Much wider than that and you'll start to struggle on a steep skin track.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bruce leggott,

You're nearly 20kg heavier than me, can understand why the snow-wolfs might not be sturdy enough for you.

I'd add the following suggestions to your list ....
Völkl Nanuq with dynafit bindings (ca 1.75 kg per ski)
Head i.Peak 82 with dynafit bindings (ca 2kg per ski Shocked )
Head Johnny 94 with dynafit bindings (ca 1.75 kg per ski)
K2 Wayback with dynafit bindings (ca 1.5 kg per ski)

If your boots don't have dynafit inserts then it's going to be expensive (new skis, bindings, boots and possibly skins too)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dynafit bindings great for going up, but I would not like them if most of your skiing was downhill. You would ski with much more confidence with the more alpine style Fritschi binding. You will be able to give them a lot of abuse and if you had a big stack you are more likely to release. Also it is easy to step into the Fritschi binding on a steep slope in 1m+ powder. I had to as I chose to light a DIN.
I have not tried the dynafit binding I admit but I did some research on them before I bought my ski binding package last year and there was a few reports of injuries from them. I was looking for a package for 80% down 20% up. I am happy with my choice.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Downhill Sailor,

Dynafit have much less slop than Fritschi i.e. they ski downhill better but as you say the binding release isn't the same as Fritschi and entry isn't as simple. Fritschi is good for all-round when using one pair of skis for alpine and touring but for dedicated touring common opinion is that dynafit is the way to go.
ski holidays
Last year I had three pairs of skis - which was stupid I know - 186 Rossignol Scratch Steeze with Marker Dukes / K2 Mount Bakers with Dynafit TLT and Scott Missions 178

I was really impressed with the Dukes, let me use my Garmont Axon Touring boot though not there is a debate as to whether you should, as well as my Downhill boots. I only skinned a couple of times on that setup though - the Missions I thought as a ski were superb on every type of snowpack. All my touring was done on my Mount Bakers and the difference between those and the Missions was quite major for me............so having lost one Mission this year I have gone Missions with Barrons as more or less a one ski set up - I'll keep the Mount Bakers, though can not see me using them too much, maybe if we do a long hut to hut tour next year but there again I tend to be a wee bit fitter than my mates so the extra weight of the Missions & Dukes will not be too much of an issue.

Interestingly enough was in my local ski shop where I bought my Barrons and ended up having a chat about what amounts etc they were selling of the Barons, Dukes and the new T26 or whatever they are - they said they were in demand, to which I replied, sort of guessing the answer "so are you selling many pairs of skins" to which the answer was "no" !!!!!!

And no the people buying them are not on the whole changing from an existing touring binding!!

So will be putting the Steeze up on FleaBay soon along with the skins and bindings!!
snow conditions
Weathercam,

There must be a lot of people out there so fit that they can tour on Barons / Dukes without skins. Wink
latest report
DB, I agree, as soon as the Dynafit offer a decent DIN then they will be the way to go, but a DIN of 10 when you are doing serious steeps just isn't enough.
ski holidays
I have a pair of Fischer Watea 78s with Fritschi Eagles which I think would fit your brief pretty well. It's a cracking touring rig (for the up at least, and also for the down in spring conditions) and it will also do the job on piste better than it 85+ brethren. They're very precise, dependable skis and would come into there own on a 1 week tour. Given that your focus is piste I agree with altis that you want something around the 80mm mark. I have two pairs of touring skis - the second are Watea 94s with with Naxo NX22s, which are heavier, and which tend to blow out at speed on piste (although this may be because I'm pretty light at 74kg) but are great in crud and deep snow. I don't understand why you'd need wider, but that might be because I'm pretty light. There is also no way that I would use the 94s for tours longer than 2 hrs, or for piste skiing (although I have Worldcup RCs for that - spot the slight Fischer bias...).

The guys I tour with are mostly on Fischer X-peditions or random Ski Trab jobs with odd tips, both with Dynafit bindings, although a few are on W78s/ Head Peak 78s too. The Ski Trabs/X-peditions are pretty sloppy on piste. For an allrounder I'd go for the W78s or the Heads.
ski holidays
Quote:
as soon as the Dynafit offer a decent DIN then they will be the way to go, but a DIN of 10 when you are doing serious steeps just isn't enough.

^ You do know that the Dynafit vertical has a din of 12 ? Plus the toe can be totally locked out ?
And that most Chamonix extremos have been using them on serious steeps for at least 5 years ?
ski holidays
I used the Salomon Sentinel last season in Andermatt. A proper bushwhaker! It will do anything you want. I'm 68kg, fairly fit. Go for it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy