Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix with Remy Lecluse

Poster: A snowHead
Some pics from Chamonix this weekend. We hired a guide called Remy Lecluse an expert in steep descents. He did not disappoint....

Up to the Col de Belvedere above Flegere

Tim ropes into the lower couloir

And makes it half way down alive...

Great snow all the way down to Le Buet

Up the other side of the valley via Vallorcine and squeezed in a run back to Le Buet

First cabin up to the midi and down the Envers du plan for a look at conditions on the Aiuguille du Tacul

Beautiful morning

Too much snow for the Aiguille du Tacul so up to Grands Montets for a Pas de Chevre, Rectiligne couloir

Very tight entrance but superb conditions in the couloir

Opens up lower down

The Dru towering over the exit

La foufoune Toofy Grin

Got the last cabin up to the mid station. Fresh tracks still to be had at the end of the day

Great weekend. Legs are tired now....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very nice, the Rectiligne looks amazing. Pretty jealous here.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swirly, Col de Belvedere was better. Beautiful hike up (with Remy breaking trail Very Happy ). Scary steep (50 degrees) at the top and then a fabulous 1500m descent to Le Buet. Not another track in the valley.

We were hoping to do Aiguille du Tacul this morning (1000m skin up the other side from the salle a manger) but unfortunately there was too much snow/wind and he thought it was too risky.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bobinch, Looks fantastic - majorly envious here right now. Wow!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bobinch, great stuff. I had the same problem heading for the Aiguille du Tacul in Jan Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good job!!

Are you using the rope at the entrance to the couloir by avalanche danger?? Or due to couloir stepness??
The snow looks really good
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AlTom wrote:
Good job!!

Are you using the rope at the entrance to the couloir by avalanche danger?? Or due to couloir stepness??
The snow looks really good

Only steepness. It was 50 degrees at the top and we had never skied anything that steep before. It is quite intimidating when you go over the lip and I guess he didn't want to kill his clients on the first morning! There was also a bar of rocks below so falling would have entailed an uncomfortable ending....

It was a great experience and I think my skiing technique improved more than in the last 10 years skiing off piste. It has certainly given us more confidence to get out of difficult situations but has not made me any more eager to ski really steep stuff as he makes crystal clear that the implication of a mistake can be very serious.

He has skied the front side of the midi 8 times. His best time down including the rappel is 20 minutes Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bobinch, Great pics again, thanks for sharing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bobinch, very nice indeed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bobinch, Wow it looks like you had a fantastic time. v envious. I'm in Cham quite a bit in March/April - could you forward Remys contact details? I take it you recommend his services? I'd like to learn about lift-based touring (am a strong off-piste skier, but no experience of skinning) would he be the right man or do i have too much to learn about going up the hard way?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bobinch, Nicework, looks awesome. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ww166no, IMHO if you're just getting into it I wouldn't start with Remy. I'd join a group like the sort of thing that mountain tracks does and build up your experience on touring equipment and fitness if necessary. Call Remy once you're confident, fit and want to really push yourself. His details are at www.remylecluse.com

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 23-02-10 9:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RPF, got your Naxos yet? Spring is on it's way and there's some great touring to do!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bobinch, superb, it would have been good to record your heart rate at the top of 50 degrees, I trust you celebrated the day in good style!?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
norris, have you done the Aiguille du Tacul route before? He was pretty excited about doing it so I assume it is a bit special "Grandiose" was his description! Brenva glacier is next on the list. It also got the "grandiose" description Very Happy
snow report
bobinch, No Sad Think I'll pick up some Dukes at a good price this week and get em mounted.

There is snow forecast for this week if you are around. I'm sure Gorilla and Swirly will be up for a blast too if there are tracks to be made.
snow conditions
bobinch, sweeeeeEEeeeeeet. Nice. I've skied with Remy a few times, awesome guy. "eeeeh, don't fall 'ere, OK?"

ww166no, try First Tracks, Nick Parks (he posts on here sometimes, someone will tell you his username) is the man. Remy works for Nick sometimes. Tell Nick what you need and he'll hook you up.
snow conditions
Of course you're right bobinch, what was i thinking! ability to decend far exceeds both fitness and obvious lack of upward skills/knowledge. . . Still, got to start somewhere, any more pointers on where/how/who to start with in the Cham valley?
ski holidays
Great pictures. Looks like you had a good time. I skied the Belvedere about 15 years ago with Roland Steiger and he also roped us in.

I love skiing with Remy but don't go to Chamonix much now since it gets skied out so quickly. But when Cham is good it is still very very good.

ww166no, Nick is good, but you might also consider Roland if he is available. A big personality.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 23-02-10 9:38; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
ww166no, www.offpisteskiing.com he posts on here as offpisteskiing.
Great instructor and wonderful guy to ski with. He ran a weekend intro to touring course in December for a few Snowheads. It was my first time on touring kit, I got a lot out of it.
He based that course in Cham and Les Contamines.
perhaps if you can get a group together he might be able to do something similar.
ski holidays
RPF, is offpisteskiing.com several guides? I assume by "he" you meant Nick rather than Roland?
snow conditions
bobinch wrote:
Swirly, Col de Belvedere was better. Beautiful hike up (with Remy breaking trail Very Happy ). Scary steep (50 degrees) at the top and then a fabulous 1500m descent to Le Buet. Not another track in the valley.

Did that route a couple years ago - was volunteered to go over the edge first. Guide told me to detach from the rope when I felt comfortable. Ran out of rope before I felt comfortable - still, I guess it was character building Smile
snow report
snowball, No its Simon Christy I'm referring too as offpisteskiing.
Sorry it look like I was answering parlor, about Nicks user name.
Simon runs the courses himself and sometimes works with other guides.
latest report
ww166no, I can't give you a personal recommendation for another guide in Chamonix as I'd never used one there before. But Remy runs some courses for Mountain Tracks who offer options at all levels. http://www.mountaintracks.co.uk/winter I would suggest you give them a ring and see what they have going on when you are there. I believe it was started by Nick Parkes, the guy Parlor is referring to above. They could probably also hook you up with a private guide if that's what you are looking for. I'm sure the personal recommendations above from RPF and Snowball will also be good.

Note: don't underestimate fitness (including fitness at altitude). It is a big part of touring. Doing conversions on a steep slope at high altituide ater a long ascent is quite a challenge in itself. Then skiing down, usually starting in good conditions but often ending up in avalanche rubble, tight trees, heavy stuff or often a mixture of the above works your lungs and legs like lift served rarely does. If I were you I would be looking for someone patient who is not going to kill you on your first day and will take the time to teach you properly with a good sense of humour. There are guides out there who bug off ahead barking instructions and scream at you for minor indiscretions. When you book a guide don't overstate your level and don't be afraid to ask for what you want.

The option to stick some skins on and hike opens up a whole new set of possibilities. If you have a sense of adventure, enjoy skiing off piste and getting away from the crowds there are few things that rival it IMHO.
ski holidays
I take your point regarding fitness and over-optimism bobinch,

Thank you all for the advice, just so I've got it straight:

parlor, and bobinch, are recommending Nick Parks (First Tracks/Mountain tracks), user name?
RPF, is recommending Simon Christy, 'offpisteskiing'
snowball, is recommending Roland Steiger

Sounds like what RPF, did with offpisteskiing is what i'm looking for, i'll get in touch. Off-piste and away from the crowds is exactly what i'm looking for more of!
ski holidays
Great pictures, the entrance does look a little on the steep side!
snow conditions
Nice pics. Looks like you had perfect conditions. Saw one of this guy's "lesson"on
http://youtube.com/v/_E2wBno6kpU&feature=related no doubt many people will recognise where this was shot.
snow conditions
I also agree with Nick Parks (I don't know Simon). I'm not sure if he puts people together or just does private bookings. I'm fairly sure Roland just does private bookings and since he was the first guide to break away from the official organisation and go private he is quite famous and will probably be booked up. I'm assuming he still works - it is 10 years since I skied with him.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy