Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing "Levels"

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Would it help to have some video of the type of drills people would be doing in the different coaching clinics

Iski, perhaps, but we tend not to video drills for reviewing with people as the drills themselves arent the outcome we care about but rather tape short medium or big turns before and after doing drills to highlight what the drills did or didnt do for people... there are million drills (fastman has 6 DVD's worth of em !! )

New gen do a what level am i type of video but they use an instructor pretending, if we have time we may compile a "typical" set of level x, y and Z clients making turns... but everyone has different strenghts and weaknesses, as most people will say i can do some of level x and some of level Y...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret,
Quote:

but everyone has different strenghts and weaknesses, as most people will say i can do some of level x and some of level Y...

Reading the comments exactly the same applies to your descrptions, there are a lot of people saying I am at level x in some parts of the description and level y at others.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret,
Quote:

we tend not to video drills
thank heavens for small mercies. rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
T Bar, hence the difficulty... wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle wrote:
skimottaret,
Quote:

we tend not to video drills
thank heavens for small mercies. rolling eyes

My thoughts exactly! Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think the level descriptions are the best I've seen....and I've seen loads this year. But the weeks experience can be misguiding....it's the quality of the experience, rather than quantity that is important IMHO.

I'm exactly a 6, even though my ego thinks I'm a 7...and there remains the problem - how one perceives oneself CAN be different to the instructor's perception.

The video examples idea is quite good.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ALQ, I'm quite sure a 6 is a fine level to be at, in fact I'm quite pleased to be a 6 - I never ever thought to get off level 1 no more than a few years back. Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Civilised answers? What's got into everyone? You're giving skimottaret and rob@rar far too easy a time of it if you ask me Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Axsman wrote:
For the rest of us the definitive grading system has already been established by Messrs Axsman and Horizon. I refer of course to this thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44563

Thanks for posting that. It's my favourite thread of all time! Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
slikedges, I've got to be nice bearing in mind I finally get to go and see them in a couple of weeks. I don't want to give them any excuse to get me doing evil difficult things.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, They don't need an excuse Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum,
Quote:

I don't want to give them any excuse to get me doing evil difficult things.
Dream on.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JONG, hope TGR don't get wind of this. Good , you will know yourself or learner surely? To many beginners calling themselves intermediate, not learning. The instructors on the forum must spend so much time with people who confuse getting down a red/black with true ability. Me included. Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Iski, anyone would think we'd had some bad experiences. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll probably regret asking this question, but what is 'JONG'?
snow report
I can't say it to a lady such as yourself so http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jong
snow conditions
I did not mean to be rude, just bored with people who cannot ski, but think they are good. Be real accept your ability and enjoy or learn and train. I play golf every week , it is not paying my mortgage so therefore not an expert, go skiing 4 times and everyone thinks they are great?
ski holidays
tiffin, ah, thank you. Very Happy
snow report
lightningdan, oh you kill joy!

however the SBS is the standard by which all shall be judged.
latest report
snowcrazy wrote:
As someone, think it was arno said, not sure what trying out snowboarding etc has to do with it.

If you are reading levels 10 or 11 from an instructor point of view, the snowboarding and other stuff are important for getting your qualifications.
ski holidays
Megamum, sorry, when people start discussions about skiing levels round here, it's not just a tradition but the gawdam law to give them a hard time

lightningdan, keep up the good work
snow report
Megamum wrote:
ALQ, I'm quite sure a 6 is a fine level to be at, in fact I'm quite pleased to be a 6 - I never ever thought to get off level 1 no more than a few years back. Laughing

er....having re-read the levels and thought about it for a few more seconds, i'm definitely a self-delusional 6 Sad
....started skiing again last year after a looooong time and have been watching too many freeride clips on youtube.

If I keep watching that Klaus Maier clip enough times, I think I'll promote myself to a self-delusional 7

Laughing
ski holidays
skimottaret, Been said a zillion times before ... but however many 'grades' you give it the last two (12 & 13 in your case) covers at least twenty-fold the number of grades preceding them. They are all 'Marketing Hype' , nothing wrong with that as we all enjoy pigeon-holing ourselves.
Yes, you are right. Those in the last two categories can not be arsed to respond --- and the more levels between 1 & 11 (or 1 to 2!!) catalyses us poor punters to strive for more!

Yes .. I am a cynic!
latest report
Agenterre,
Quote:

catalyses us poor punters to strive for more
That's a very good point. For those of us that don't want to go through the rigmaroles of BASI, these levels can act as a useful incentive to improve. I don't really know what I am now, probably a low 8, but am - I hope realistically - aspiring to 9 and less realistically to 10 (but no higher.)
ski holidays
You forgot

14: You have been skiing for at least ten years and have been down every major run on four continents. You have employed the best instructors the world can provide and yet you find that none of them has been able to bring you to quite the level of finesse you desire. This is because you are a terrible skier who will never actually do what the instructor tells you and honest to god we wonder how you manged to get up the steps to get in here because you NEVER BEND YOUR KNEES!!!

You were promoted through the grading systems of other ski schools so that the intructors could get you the heck out of their classes in case whatever you have is catching.

If we take your money you will spend your time arguing with the instructors and making excuses for not doing the drills so that you go away skiing as you did before, blundering to and fro like some kind of malfunctioning Dalek who should be shot and chucked down a crevasse.

I know you can't really tell people this, but don't you just want to sometimes ?
snow report
thirty06,
Quote:

making excuses for not doing the drills
Is the instructor doing his best to pull your arms out of their sockets a legitimate excuse? Toofy Grin
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68415&start=40#1625638
snow conditions
I'd be very happy to put myself in level 5, got me down to a tee.
snow conditions
hmm "malfunctioning Dalek" sounds like a worthy addition to the list Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, you do know that if you do that drill to much that you will need shorter ski poles Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
To turn things around a little, where would you put your clients on the scale?

For example, I have attended 3 of your clinics but you have never seen me ski in the real world. So if you can remember any of my skiing where would you place me.

I invite anyone else whom I have attended clinics with to also grade me, I'll try not to be too upset Toofy Grin
snow report
tiffin, To turn things round even more I asked Rob where he put himself on his scale. After careful thought he told me. I'll leave it to Rob to decide whether he weants to share his answer with the world.
ski holidays
tiffin, I've just had a quick look at some video of you and I'd say you're a L6 on our scale.
snow report
Spud9, Maybe we should grade them? I'll wait till after the 15th though Wink
snow conditions
rob@rar, yeah thats about what I thought. Not so bad with only 2 weeks under my belt.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 4-11-10 10:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Spud9 wrote:
I'll leave it to Rob to decide whether he weants to share his answer with the world.

After a bit more thought I'd say 11 when I'm skiing well (although I struggle to make fat skis do good things on piste wink), 10 if I'm having an off day.
ski holidays
tiffin wrote:
rob@rar, yeah thats about what I thought.

Phew...

wink
latest report
tiffin, OK. I'm there for the clinic on 15th as well. It's probably best to be circumspect until after the skiing's finished. The topic of the day 'Balance' gives RobnScott plenty of opportunities for punishment drills. (Backwards, eyes closed, on one ski, no poles and outside edge turns all at the same time, maybe Crying or Very sad )
snow report
Spud9 wrote:
(Backwards, eyes closed, on one ski, no poles and outside edge turns all at the same time, maybe Crying or Very sad )

Haven't written the lesson plan yet, but top marks that's a cracking good start...
latest report
rob@rar, I knew you'd say that. Why not add unclipped boots to the drill as well.
snow report
Spud9, it gets better and better...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy