Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet YES or NO

Poster: A snowHead
I wear a cycle helmet at all times on my commute to work. It was awkward at first getting used to it but after a week or so I felt vulnerable without it. I know if I get hit head or side on by a car then I am in trouble regardless but I feel I am more likely to come off avoiding a careless driver or come off by being careless myself. I am in my late forties and I definitely do not bounce as well as I used to.
I have seen in the news quiet a few people have been killed in street fights/muggings where a single punch results in death usually as a result of the head hitting the ground. This is what scared me into wearing a cycle helmet and has me thinking seriously about a ski helmet also.

HA HA. Funny, just read my own post and it reads like I am planning a punch up on the piste Embarassed
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The question of whether you should wear a protective helmet when skiing/boarding is surely a no-brainer wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wearing a helmet probably reduces your chances of a serious head injury on a day's skiing from 1-in-100000 to 1-in-500000.

So though it's 5 times safer your chances of serious injury are tiny with or without a helmet.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
xyzpaul, maybe, but probably better/easier to look at it on a per accident basis. Say a person has one big wipe out per trip and one near-miss or actual collision during 50% of the trips. That means, over 20 years of sliding they might have 30-40 chances of receiving a head injury. Only takes one incident!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Also, whilst most of us will never, hopefully, get a serious head injury helmets can help save you from more minor head injuries - e.g. when you slam down onto a hard piste and hit your head on the snow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr Marmot, Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, i think that is really their strong point - the minor bangs, cuts etc., but I prefer not to fall these days Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, made a very good point, all the times you tumble and fall backwards or just hit your head, when your wearing a helmet you just get up and brush yourself down, instead of having to sit inside all day trying to get rid of a painful headache.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes. that was what got me to buy a helmet. I fell over on the glacier at Tignes, banged my head, saw stars and couldn't ski for a bit. Once I tried a helmet I soon discovered that a helmet is the best ski headwear irrespective of any safety advantages. Most of all,it parks your goggles without them steaming up. All the same, headwear, like any other clothing choice is a personal choice.

snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A helmet is much more comfortable than a hat or hood on bad weather days.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a helmet, and typically wear one-especially on crappy days. I hate teaching in it because you can't hear as well nor seem to be as aware of what is going on around/ behind. I am tempted to say they would be safer if they did not cover up your ears.

not much to add for the OP but I would always have the option. I don't feel as secure on ice without it anymore but didn't notice this before I had one.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller wrote...... Only takes one incident!

I was playing football. A team mate jumped to head the ball just as an opposition player did the same. It all looked pretty innocuous. My team mate was left on the floor after the incident. He initially complained of 'seeing stars' and a severe headache so was taken immediately to hospital. Within 12 hours he was in a coma. Fifteen years later, he now lives in a special home unable to walk and talk.

It was the only such incident that I saw in a twenty-five year regular playing career, but it showed me how a bump on the head can have a much more disasterous effect than, say, breaking a leg in a tackle.

I don't know exactly how much protection my ski helmet affords me, but I won't take the chance of not wearing it.

Movement of head + collision with hard surface = potentially serious damage to contents of head. Conclusion: wear protective helmet to reduce chances. Simples.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If someone could assist BMF_Skier, with his quest for a helmet I would be really pleased and so would the two kids that he skis with wink

FWIW I think helmets suit most people wearing them and asthetically I think they look more techno-cool and more cool ski racer-ish than the woolly hat look. I like the way I look in mine - I feel a picture thread coming on!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If someone could assist BMF_Skier, with his quest for a helmet I would be really pleased and so would the two kids that he skis with wink

FWIW I think helmets suit most people wearing them and asthetically I think they look more techno-cool and more cool ski racer-ish than the woolly hat look. I like the way I look in mine - I feel a picture thread coming on!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum wrote:
If someone could assist BMF_Skier, with his quest for a helmet

What assistance does he need? All he needs to do is try on as many helmets as he can to find something that is comfortable for him and the right price, et voila!
ski holidays
BMF_Skier, wrote:

Quote:

I tried an Atomic Pro Tect at the ski show but they didn't have the right size!
Any Ideas where I can try a Atomic Pro Tect (or Pro Tect RS) in L and XL?
snow report
Megamum, ah, I see! Thought he might need help doing the clasp up or something wink

Sorry, can't help with what shop stocks what.
ski holidays
Mr Marmot wrote:

I was playing football. A team mate jumped to head the ball just as an opposition player did the same. It all looked pretty innocuous. My team mate was left on the floor after the incident. He initially complained of 'seeing stars' and a severe headache so was taken immediately to hospital. Within 12 hours he was in a coma. Fifteen years later, he now lives in a special home unable to walk and talk.

It was the only such incident that I saw in a twenty-five year regular playing career, but it showed me how a bump on the head can have a much more disasterous effect than, say, breaking a leg in a tackle.

I don't know exactly how much protection my ski helmet affords me, but I won't take the chance of not wearing it.

Movement of head + collision with hard surface = potentially serious damage to contents of head. Conclusion: wear protective helmet to reduce chances. Simples.

Should footballers wear helmets or should use of the head be forbidden? Or is it rational to say that enjoyment of football with its current laws justifies the element of risk?
latest report
I think helmets look properly gay, but I wear one. I don't for a moment expect it to make me invincible, in the same way I wouldn't expect a transceiver to guarantee my rescue in an avvy or a seatbelt to save me if I drove into a brick wall at 100mph. It's a precaution.

My mate wears one too and it pretty much saved his life last Winter though, according to the doctors who treated him. He was pretty retarded before the accident anyway (which he doesn't remember and nobody saw), but listening to one of your mates dribbling like a vegetable and repeating himself literally every 20 seconds for hours and hours and hours really wasn't funny (he obviously gets mercilessly ripped for it now of course), but it certainly reinforced my decision to wear one and I dread to think what state he'd have been in sans lid.

The way I see it, I'd otherwise be wearing a hat anyway so *shrugs*
snow conditions
 brian
brian
MAYBE wink

ski holidays
 brian
brian
Megamum, let me google that for you ...

WHITE MOUNTAIN SKI LTD
UNIT 5 PILLATON HALL FARM
PENKRIDGE
STAFFORDSHIRE
ST19 5RZ
TEL 01785 713362

Ski Bartlett
1-2 Rosslyn Parade
Uxbridge Road
Hillingdon
Middlesex
ub10 0np
Tel: 020 8848 0040
latest report
Megamum, I don't think he wants one - he's making excuses. wink

brian, good photo. My helmet's exactly like that - but minus the hole.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
If someone could assist BMF_Skier, with his quest for a helmet I would be really pleased !

Perfect!!!!

snow report
Spyderman, Laughing
ski holidays
laundryman wrote:
Mr Marmot wrote:

Should footballers wear helmets or should use of the head be forbidden? Or is it rational to say that enjoyment of football with its current laws justifies the element of risk?

Laundryman, I want to say that in no way is it my opinion that protective headgear for skiers/boarders should be obligatory.

Anyone who feels the risk of not wearing one, is a fair risk to take, has my understanding.

I personally find wearing a helmet very slightly restricting and uncomfortable, but I feel the benefits make it worthwhile.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 2-11-10 17:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Mr Marmot, thanks for your reply.
snow report
Saw this on ebay. Item no: 110605291738 . At 99p I would take a pop only my head size is at the other end of the scale.
ski holidays
brian, both those were at the ski show - and neither could help. We were looking for a bit of insider info.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry about the thread drift.... Shocked
Thanks for the advice.
I've contacted the Atomic main distributor in the UK. As far as they are aware 'no' retailer has the sizes of the helmets that I wish to try. The distributor has confirmed they do have the required sizes in stock.
The actual response was:-
Quote:
Regarding the Protect RS in XL, I’m afraid that no UK retailers ordered this product from us in this size.
I can confirm however, that currently both helmets are in stock in XL in our main warehouse, so any UK Atomic retailer can order this for you directly from us. Unfortunately we cannot sell directly to you, so please contact your local retailer if you wish to purchase one of these.

Here starts the issue..... I cannot find a UK based 'shop' willing to get one in for me to try out ! This difficulty appears to be lost, but basically If I cannot try I cannot buy !

As I asked the distributor, does anyone snowHead know of a tame Atomic retailer, ideally in the north west, who would be prepared to get me an Atomic model helmet to try out?
ski holidays
Why so stuck on the Atomic? Plenty of other lids around at the same price point
ski holidays
Dr John, The Atomic model is the nearest that ticks all the boxes, for me at least.
I've looked at plenty, tried on plenty.
They either look dorky, are uncomfortable or you are paying big money for nothing more than 50p's worth of plastic ! One other issue are the liners that wont last a week before they fall apart!
I thought it would be a simple task to get a particular size, but thats not turning out to be the case. Sad
snow conditions
Can't help you with looking like a dork, but how do you know that Atomic offer any better value for money or their lining won't fall apart?
snow report
And how do you know that other liners WILL fall apart? As I said above, my Giro one has done many, many, weeks of skiing with no sign of falling apart. And if you haven't been able to try to Atomic one in your size, how do you know that it will fit? I found that even within the Giro range, some models - supposedly the same size as the one I bought - didn't fit.
latest report
Dr John,
Quote:
They either look dorky, are uncomfortable or you are paying big money for nothing more than 50p's worth of plastic ! One other issue are the liners that wont last a week before they fall apart!
IMHO, the atomic helmets I've tried on were a better build quality that the plastic shell and velcro liners of many of the other manufacturers. Plus, other than size, they were more comfortable to wear. So, I'm after an Atomic RS Pro Tect. But, everyone to their own. Smile
snow conditions
helmets have only been in use in any mass number for the last 10 years maybe ? have we seen any drop in skiing deaths or drop in injuries generally since their introduction compared to the previous 10 years ?
snow report
pam w, quite right. My Giro has done 4 years/10 weeks and it's lining is still intact and functioning perfectly. I've got a new one this season only because the lastest range of helmets are lighter and smaller (fyi Sweet Trooper; expensive but extremely light, compact and wonderfully comfortable)

BMF_Skier, if you know of particular brands that have a reputation for falling apart then you owe it to the forum to share in the name of consumer advice.

rayscoops, you know what they say about statistics. The only statistic I care about is my own personal sample of 1 i.e. I had a couple of falls where I banged my head and saw stars before I wore a helmet, and couple of falls and banged head but no stars since I've worn a helmet. And as an end note, I didn't report the falls and injuries I took pre-helmet, so they wouldn't appear in any injury statistic table.
snow report
rayscoops, I think (but have no statistics to back me up) that with shaped skis being so easy to go fast on, the brutal grooming AND the growth in snowboarding, AND the increased efficiency of uplift, slopes have become a bit more dangerous, with some fast skiers being out of control and more collisions. also more people are going off piste (again, because modern equipment makes it much easier than it used to be) where contact between head and rock is not unlikely.

So maybe if there has been no significant increase in head injuries, helmets are achieving something.

Anecdotally many of us know someone who feels they have been protected usefully by a helmet - and also, many of us find helmets more comfortable. Plus, I like music (a topic which inspires nearly as much vitriol as helmets. wink )
ski holidays
pam w, i wore a helmet for a year or so and tended to bang my head a lot, on chair lift bars, on the floor when I fell etc but when I stopped wearing it (inner lining became smelly so I washed it and it shrunk and would not fit back in) I found that I did not bang my head at all - I think that maybe by increasing the size of your head (by wearing a helmet) means that you are more likely to bump it because it is simply a bigger lump on your shoulders and your brain forgets to allow for that extra 3 or 4 cm all around your head - thinking 'that would have hurt if I did not have a helmet on', whereas if you did not have one on you would not have bumped your head in the first place.

I have had the same thing wearing a hard hat whilst climbing up scaffolds etc - I always tend wack my head when I have a hard hat on, never wack it when I do not have one on Very Happy
ski holidays
rayscoops, I've postulated that before - and was met with some derision. I do think we have a very good instinctive feel for the size of our head, and an instinctive ability to protect it in some accidental situations. The head is also easier to move with less weight attached. The physics of that says that outside weight is harder to turn than inside weight. Like you, I've hit my head several times in ordinary situations wearing a helmet.

I've only once hit my head skiing (without a helmet) which was when, as a beginner or very low intermediate, an over-zealous instructor decided we had to go off-piste on a powder day - with an exit through an awkward gully. No visible injury and able to continue after a couple of minutes, but a bit shaken up. Since then, I've had several very high speed tumbles (without helmet) but have avoided hitting my head (and any other serious injury).

I'm a recent convert to bike helmets. Now that I've got one (demanded by an event), I almost always wear it - out of superstition to an extent. I did come off and knock it gently on the peak when I came off downhill on rough terrain in September. That's the first time I've ever hit my head cycling (but I've done way more road biking than mountain biking). It's possible my face might have taken that impact without it.

I also never wore a helmet in 20 years of being an opening batsman and wicketkeeper. The only time I was ever struck on the head was diving to stop a ball that bobbled in the outfield.

I think most of my painful head impacts have been standing up into the corner of kitchen cupboard doors or the cooker hood!

Overall, I'm amazed by the number of reported head impacts on Snowheads.
snow conditions
This thread seems to just run and run. me I sometimes wear one and sometimes do not Toofy Grin . Just depends what i am doing. When on skis I wear it mostly doing hard narrow rocky places. When I snowboard I tend to wear it all the time as you hit the ground a lot harder and quicker sometimes. Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy