Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet YES or NO

Poster: A snowHead
Probably been done before but!!

I normally ski in a wooly hat, I am not a brilliant skier, i would say i am a good intermediate, I can ski 98% of pistes Red and Black, I am not a mad off pister or a snow park loony coz i am 45 years old. I have done about 15 weeks skiing in total.

However last year i witnessed a head to head collision where one guy was knocked out sparko, and someone last year at my work got a head injury and was in a coma for a while,

So i was wondering do i need a helmet and will i look like i am trying to be a super cool dude or a knobhead in one
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only you can answer that question as it depends on your attitude to risk.

Lots of people wear helmets these days so the knobhead factor has diminished to nothing IMO.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As was said to me at the same decision point a few years ago, you'll look even stupider with your brains all over the snow Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timbobaggins, I wear one, but it's a personal choice. They are becoming common, so you will not stand out as either super cool or a knobhead.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Completely personal choice; helmets are becoming more and more common now, so you won't look out of place either with or without one.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, Agree, they were in the majority in Austria last season.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

will i look like i am trying to be a super cool dude or a knobhead in one

this thread is useless without pictures. Post one of you in your wooly hat, then we can try to imagine a helmet instead, and give you an answer to your question. Some people in hats look cool, some look like knobheads. Some people in helmets look cool, some look like knobheads. It generally isn't the headgear that does it. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I see far fewer people looking like berks wearing a helmet than wearing a wolly hat.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w,

Ok Dokey, I will try nd attatch a piccy, I can assure you i look a knobhead in my hat rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wait a minute.... Is this actually a helmet thread where everyone is being REASONABLE??!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timbobaggins, no offence, but if you need an anonymous internet messaging board to tell you what you look like in a wolly hat and whether to wear a helmet or not, then you really are a knobhead.

clarky999, there, fixed it for you.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm surprised no-one has come out with a helmet that, well, looks like a "helmet". There's at least one strategically placed ventilation slot designed in already.

And you wouldn't have the hassle of offering in a range of colours either, just maybe a selection of stickers to accessorise it in the disease of your choosing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
but does a helmet actually prevent injury in most accidents?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr John,

Cheers mate, helps a lot, I am guilty as charged wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BCjohnny,
Quote:

well, looks like a "helmet"

Little Angel Little Angel

Just remember to do your strap up wink
ski holidays
Must be a big KH coz i cannot work out how to attach a piccy.

I am sure Dr John will help
ski holidays
scotia, depends what the injury is. Broken leg, probably not. Concussion after stacking on hard piste, maybe.
snow conditions
arggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mad

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 31-10-10 9:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Timbobaggins, not a clue mate, I'm a bit of a KH when it comes to that sort of thing.
latest report
Quote:

I can assure you i look a knobhead in my hat

well in that case a helmet can only be an improvement! I wear one, and find it very comfortable (though it's crucial to get the right fit; mine is Giro but most of the Giros didn't fit me - just the one I bought).

I don't think I look a knobhead in my ski helmet. I definitely do in my cycle helmet, but I still wear it.

My brother in law was concussed after falling backward from a bit of a height onto a hard piste (beginner - held on too long to the drag lift button....). He was wearing a helmet. I think he'd have been pretty seriously injured without it - as it was he couldn't remember what had happened and was vomitting for several hours. I took him to a doctor who checked him over and told me what to look out for, and what to do if he deteriorated.

I have music in mine, but that's a whole other contentious thread. rolling eyes

I don't know why people get so arsey about helmet threads. they're not as dim as the ones about whether a bit of snow in early November means there'll be terrific cover in February.
snow report
pam w,
Quote:
they're not as dim as the ones about whether a bit of snow in early November means there'll be terrific cover in February
True, but even those are surpassed by the 'Do I need winter tyres in Austria' threads!
ski holidays
'Give me a J, give me an O.....!'

Has anyone heard of these 'Hestra' gloves and should I buy a pair?
snow report
Quote:

Never. What a novel idea for a thread.
snow conditions
Swirly wrote:
Quote:

Never. What a novel idea for a thread.

Cheers, i like to be origional.

By the way has anyone done a "Do i buy red or blue ski boots" before NehNeh
snow report
oz5000, they are the gloves of my dreams- but very pricey- so I don't have any- Alpine pro army leather three finger mit is what I lust over in my most personal secret fantasies.

http://www.hestragloves.com/#/en/handskar/alpine_pro/army_leather_gore-tex_threefinger/

Timbobaggins, what a brave man you are!
snow report
ed123 wrote:
oz5000, they are the gloves of my dreams- but very pricey- so I don't have any- Alpine pro army leather three finger mit is what I lust over in my most personal secret fantasies.

http://www.hestragloves.com/#/en/handskar/alpine_pro/army_leather_gore-tex_threefinger/

Timbobaggins, what a brave man you are!

Brave, stupid and rock hard, also very thick skinned. Whilst on origional threads, Does anyone know if i should buy some snow chains Toofy Grin
ski holidays
The bigger question for me is can you take it on as hand luggage ?
ski holidays
OOooooh yeah, and will my goggles fit if i get a helmet Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timbobaggins, I've been skiing for 20 years on and off, never worn a helmet before except for the odd occassion when I'm out of bounds (use my sons for this).
Really I've always been pretty confident in my own ability to ski correctly, in control, and my ability to select lines and so on.
Last year I realised that whilst I may be all of the ability, experiance and etc, there appears to be a lot of people out there who do not.
Figuring that the objective is actually to reduce the risk of serious injury from others and accidents I've invested in a helmet which I plan to wear each day, rather than on special occasions.
Hopefully I'll never need to test the helmets life preserving qualities.
As rob@rar says, depends on your attitude to risk.
snow conditions
Bob, seems to be a common way of thinking now, in so much that a helmet is more to protect you from others hurtling down pistes totally out of control, and not from your own errors.

Never used to wear a helmet myself, and never wanted to either. Now I wouldn't ski without one.
ski holidays
Bob,

Bob, yes i agree. I am quite happy with my ability, its the other loons that worry me. Last year i saw a skier just standing still and a snowboarder go smack into him, knocked him clean out, the boarder was ok coz he had a lid on.
latest report
Timbobaggins wrote:
Bob,

Bob, yes i agree. I am quite happy with my ability, its the other loons that worry me. Last year i saw a skier just standing still and a snowboarder go smack into him, knocked him clean out, the boarder was ok coz he had a lid on.

Something similar happened to me back in a March. An out of control boarder smacked into me while I was standing at the side of a piste. I just saw him at the last second so I dropped my shoulder to protect myself. When he got back up he was very apologetic and slowly boarded off like a bendy toy that had been left in front of the fire for too long. I suspect he wished that he had been wearing helmet. Or at least not crashed into a 20 stone (ex) rugby player.
snow report
if you dont like helmets try one of these http://www.cutebitz.com/ignite_d3o_beanie.htm i wear one but have not had any collisions yet so i cant really say how safe they are but
i do get lots of women touching my head Toofy Grin
ski holidays
YES, NO
ski holidays
Who stretched the thread!
snow conditions
Winterhighland, 'twas Dot. Twisted Evil
snow report
I think the other thing about more and more people wearing helmets is if some beginner or out of control person does hit you, and they are wearing a helmet and you bump heads the person without the helmet will come out much worse off.

I am currently trying to buy just the right helmet for the first time. Needs to be nice and cooling, I get a very hot head when skiing Smile
snow report
Smokin Joe wrote:
The bigger question for me is can you take it on as hand luggage ?

A couple of years ago I saw a couple checking in at Schiphol Ariport (KLM flight to Zurich) wearing there ski gear , Boots, jackets, pants, helmets !

They checked them in !
snow report
Winterhighland, even threads are about width NehNeh Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Timbobaggins, If you buy snowchains check that you can take them as hand luggage.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy