Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pyrenees 2010/2011 Snow Report

Poster: A snowHead
Just skied Ax les Thermes, good on-piste, ski destroying off-piste!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Guests were at Peyragudes today and had the perfect day.

Cold but clear blue skies, the pistes were in fantastic condition and above 2000m there is still a little off piste to play with. Not perfect from our perspective but compared to some we are in very good shape indeed.

Baqueira tomorrow and Thursday, and fresh snow due from Thursday onwards.

Looking forward to fun on Friday Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The day-by-day forecast is still looking a bit unpredictable for the weekend, but there's definitely going to be some action on at least a couple of days between Thursday and Sunday!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On piste conditions across the central Pyrenees at the moment are fantastic, very cold temperatures this week have meant all resorts have been making snow to suppliment the 10 - 20cm that fell on the 21st. Slightly milder weather welcomes a change with some snow expected tonight and through to the early part of next week.

Freezing levels will wander up and down, but snow should fall to somewhere between 1000 and 1200m.

Superbagneres: 55cm H, 45cm L

Peyragudes: 65cm H, 25cm L

Baqueira Beret: 80cm H, 40cm L

A lot more snow is needed to provide safe off piste unless you are very high.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski Guide wrote:
On piste conditions across the central Pyrenees at the moment are fantastic, very cold temperatures this week have meant all resorts have been making snow to supplement the 10 - 20cm that fell on the 21st. Slightly milder weather welcomes a change with some snow expected tonight and through to the early part of next week.

Freezing levels will wander up and down, but snow should fall to somewhere between 1000 and 1200m.

This morning we were pleased to see that the forecast for a change was spot on. 25cm of powder fell at Peyragudes (the access roads were carnage), Superbagneres registered 10cm. More snow is forecast overnight and on Monday.

Fantastic skiing way into next week with cold weather continuing for a few days yet Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Why are so many of the runs at Peyragudes closed? Tempted to come across but reluctant to for half a resort! Missed out on both the snow fronts here!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
LasLaous wrote:
Why are so many of the runs at Peyragudes closed? Tempted to come across but reluctant to for half a resort! Missed out on both the snow fronts here!

Don't let the number of closed runs fool you, the majority of the better longer runs are open with over 70% of the domain being ski-able. Most of the runs closed are the shorter exposed runs with no snow-making. The very long red the Vallee Blanche is rarely open anyway.

Still snowing here this morning, probably down to 1000m if not lower as it is 2 degrees at 630m. The downside is that there is no visibility at all - hopefully it will keep the weekenders off the slopes and leave everything in good nick for tomorrow when it will be very quiet indeed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peyragudes has just reported another 10cm overnight following the 25cm the day before. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Monday looking good!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://videos.tf1.fr/jt-we/le-retour-de-la-neige-dans-les-pyrenees-6244424.html
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski Guide wrote:
Peyragudes has just reported another 10cm overnight following the 25cm the day before. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

After 3 days of light to moderate snow (another 10cm yesterday) and poor visibility the resorts of the central Pyrenees are now bathed in milky sunshine and cold temperatures. Excellent conditions and empty pistes, it will be another great day on the mountain today. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Peyragudes: 70/40cm

Superbagneres: 65/55cm

Baqueira Beret: 80/40

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The eastern Pyrenees got even luckier this weekend, with snow falling from Thursday night, through Friday and into the night... and both Saturday and Sunday were mainly sunny, with a small snowfall in the evenings. Monday was superb. Extensive off-piste was available to the careful (plenty of dangers lurking under the recent layer of snow; I'm gonna need to patch up the board this week!) with the resorts nearer to the centre of the range offering thoroughly enjoyable off-piste thicknesses. All resorts have taken full advantage of the last week of low temperatures to run the snowmaking flat out; the coming week of sunshine and higher temperatures will keep the piste-lovers happy!

Strange old season it's turning out to be, though. The coming high pressure front looks like it'll hang around for the next couple of weeks. The next powder day looks like it might come in two weekends' time.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hello, does anyone know how the French school holidays affect the slopes in the Pyrenees? I am going to Luchon/Superbagneres on 12th Feb for my first boarding holiday and as a novice wanted to get an idea of how busy it is likely to be. I've checked the web and only 2 areas are actually on holiday this week (zone C)??

I have spent the winter learning indoors...and literally cant wait?

Advice?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mrgallacher wrote:
Hello, does anyone know how the French school holidays affect the slopes in the Pyrenees? I am going to Luchon/Superbagneres on 12th Feb for my first boarding holiday and as a novice wanted to get an idea of how busy it is likely to be. I've checked the web and only 2 areas are actually on holiday this week (zone C)??

I have spent the winter learning indoors...and literally cant wait?

Advice?

Hi Michael,

The French holidays do see a massive uplift in the number of skiers in the resort, and Peyragudes. However the reality is this is still generally quiet compared to alpine resorts that are totally over run not only by the French but hoards of Northern Europeans.

Timing will be key, avoid the bottle necks (I will be briefing you on this when you arrive). Don't try and get the gondola after 9.15 as this is when the families with their kiddies all go up so that they are there in time for ski school.

The quietest time on the slopes is while the same families have their lunch - a French religion. And avoid trying to catch the gondola down at the end of the day as you can queue for a long time.

Mike
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep, the Pyrenees are great because both the French and Spanish have the whole lunch religion thing going on (which is of course one of the reasons I love them – but come on, surely it's possible to live without it on snow days!). You can ride in almost total solitude on piste during lunch hour, even at the weekend. Happy Best hour of the day.
snow report
Amen to that.....first lift......coffee/beer at 11.30.......call it at 4. Morning stay high, lunchtime most popular areas, early afternoon stay low!
snow conditions
Look you lot, for some reason you think that skiing is the reason people are there, get real, lunch is primary, skiing is just to make it more worthwhile. wink
ski holidays
Someone today sent me a photo from La Molina, Spain, from about 2 weeks ago.

The whole mountain between 1300m to 2000m was brown, with a few fake-snow whitestrips down it.

It looked like they hadn't seen any freshies for weeks or months.

Can anyone confirm this was the case? Has La Molina improved since mid-January?
latest report
Whitegold, They had now new snow sience 27 january, but nearby Masella, http://www.masella.com/ linked together with La Molina by a gondola, are best in europe to make their own snow, they have the longest season in europe for resorts with no glacier, all the vertical drop is open 935m and 70% off the slopes are open, the black runs are closed
snow conditions
Whitegold, La Molina is one of Spain's worst "important" ski stations when it comes to snow cover; although it's predominantly north-facing, it sits on the top of a rather flat hill with moor-like terrain rather than mountain terrain, and it has little tree cover. (As freeheelskier says, its neighbour Masella always has far better conditions, thanks both to the more mountainous terrain which keeps the sun hidden and to the extensive tree cover. [I think nearby Font Romeu famously gets the prize for best snowmaking though!])

The description you gave more or less sums up La Molina for me.

I was at both stations on Sunday; temperature was about +12 and the unbroken sunshine was almost burning! Masella's keeping well though, with the majority of the mountain open and in good conditions (hard with a decent artificial powder layer) but turning spring-like at lunchtime. The closed areas are at the two side extremes of the mountain where there is no snowmaking. La Molina was in a much worse state, with snowmaking being the only reason that they're able to open anything. I went down one of the supposedly "open" pistes which links the two resorts (Comabella) where there is no snowmaking, and I had to take off my board at one point and walk over a two-meter gap where there was no snow at all. Frankly, La Molina's a bit of a disgrace in the way it opens runs that are in terrible shape.
snow report
BTW, scorching conditions are predicted to continue until the end of the weekend, but we might see some more promising weather action taking place next week when Spain's second anticyclone of the year looks like it will break.
ski holidays
^ Thanks, dudes.

I had thought brown hills and halfcovered trails were a thing of the past but it sounds like La Molina is really suffering in the heat.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
^ Thanks, dudes.

I had thought brown hills and halfcovered trails were a thing of the past but it sounds like La Molina is really suffering in the heat.

It is not just La Molina, the lucky thing for us in the Central Pyrenees is that though the sun exposed slopes are brown lower down, the pistes are in superb condition thanks to the decent fall of snow last weekend, especially until about 1 or 2pm. The lower runs do get soft in this heat but there isn't any ice or bare patches and no debris on the slopes which with almost empty slopes it is good to ski on the runs that are open.

Cooler weather and snow possibly from Sunday/Monday Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Moderate to heavy snow overnight and during today has delivered between 10cm and 15cm in the resorts of the central Pyrenees. The snow line is now down to between 850m and 1000m depending on aspect though this may rise as temperatures are still above seasonal norm.

Piste conditions are excellent though low lying pistes that do not have snow making are closed. Off piste apart from high, north facing couloirs is non-existent or dangerous due to a thin hard base.

Snow is forecast to continue on and off for the next couple of days which should along with artificial maintain snow depths for a good few weeks still.

Current depths:

Superbagneres: 65/50 (15cm new)

Peyragudes: 70/40 (10cm new)

Baqueira Beret: 80/40 (3cm new)

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Snow predicted for today and Saturday, which should make tomorrow and Sunday good days to be out there (and just in the nick of time for all resorts in the eastern Pyrenees).

But the damned high pressure is back again from the middle of next week. It's been a fairly mediocre season so far; here's hoping that the Pyrenees pulls off its frequent March trick of some late season dumpings.
latest report
Heavy snow falling in the Central Pyrenees, 15cm at Superbagneres by midday today with even heavier snow falling during the afternoon. This on top of the 15cm that fell earlier in the week means that conditions are going to be excellent for a while yet. Snow falling down to 600m this afternoon but settling at approx 800m.

Sun predicted tomorrow with more snow on Saturday. Should be an excellent weekend Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Constant heavy snow all day since 7am this morning here in Bareges (Hautes Pyrenees). It started with fine snow and soon turned to a big flaked white out! Still going strong as I write. Clear skies forecast for tomorrow, should be spectacular!
ski holidays
in garbure we trust wrote:
Constant heavy snow all day since 7am this morning here in Bareges (Hautes Pyrenees). It started with fine snow and soon turned to a big flaked white out! Still going strong as I write. Clear skies forecast for tomorrow, should be spectacular!

As expected today was awesome. 25cm of fresh fell yesterday leaving almost waist high powder in steep, deep swathes of off piste at Peyragudes. Mostly tracked out by the end of the day but well worth pushing off for an early start.

All of the central Pyrenees resorts received a good amount of powder which after the snow early in the week has left everything in superb condition in preparation for the main school holidays.

Superbagneres: 80cm H - 70cm L (25cm fresh)
Peyragudes: 90cm H - 50cm L (20cm fresh)
Baqueira Beret: 100cm H - 55cm L (20cm fresh)

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski Guide, I have say before, and I say it again, Pyrenees is the place Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Yup 35cm in the end this side.

Good conditions on and off piste, but could still do with some more to get the formely uncovered off-piste up to speck (there is never enough!!!). Was good today but I do wonder how long it will last if conditions warm. Be interesting to see what occurs this weekend... Could be more snow which would see a return to true top form...snowHead
ski holidays
Ski Guide, Do you hang arround with a tripod all day! Cool pics Happy
ski holidays
in garbure we trust wrote:
Ski Guide, Do you hang around with a tripod all day! Cool pics Happy

Now you know me - anything for a good photo Very Happy Very Happy Though the tripod hasn't had an outing on the slopes yet, I did think about taking a day on some snow shoes with my SLR and the tripod but then thought better of it.

Was out on the bike this afternoon, 10k at 10%..

Hope you are all (reference to the little ones) having some fun in the snow Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
We too had a great Friday in the eastern/central Pyrenees, although as in garbure we trust says, the snow that fell was merely covering the bare hillside in many places off piste. (I spent most of Friday evening pessimistically melting p-tex into core shots :-|) There was good snow to be had if you worked very hard to pick out your routes though!

A little bit more snow fell on Saturday evening, and unbroken sunshine today which was nice, but a strong southerly wind which was less nice. It seemed to be school holiday week in Spain though, since there were kids everywhere (relatively speaking; I think Saturday at half term in the Pyrenees is like a quiet January Tuesday in the Alps judging from what I read elsewhere on snowHead!

Forecasts are currently indicating that the dreaded high pressure that was predicted for mid next week is going to get forced out into the Atlantic nearer the end of the month, with some real low pressure fronts coming in at lasts... it's all far too far out to be reliable yet, but optimism is good for your health, right?
ski holidays
Very heavy snow across the central Pyrenees today (Superbagneres, Peyragudes & Baqueira), snow line down to between 1200 and 1400m. Wind is causing some problems however the poor visibility is keeping people off the slopes which should make for good fun tomorrow morning.

Baqueira reports 20cm yesterday, with lots more coming down at the moment.

snow conditions
Still snowing here in Bareges, been at it for for 30 hours now - expecting some serious powder higher up, all a bit slushy down here (very near the mix line at around 1200m). I expect something in the region of 40cm of new snow... some more carrying on tomorrow but warming and clearing.
ski holidays
A friend in Baqueira at the moment reckons maybe 40cm of fresh up top Happy Shame I couldn't make it Sad
latest report
50cm of new snow in the resort confirmed by the Regi/Marie this morning. Avalanche risk at 5 out of 5 though... some more showers expected today followed by cool temperatures with sun and light snow showers for the next 3 days. Coooel. snowHead snowHead
snow report
david@mediacopy wrote:
A friend in Baqueira at the moment reckons maybe 40cm of fresh up top Happy Shame I couldn't make it Sad

Fantastic dump across the central and western Pyrenees yesterday and overnight. This following the other decent amounts that fell earlier in the week have left resorts with fantastic depths which should last well until the end of the season.

Latest reported depths:

Superbagneres: 130/110 (50cm fresh)
Peyragudes: 150/80 (60cm fresh)
Baqueira Beret: 185/115 (50cm fresh)

Snow a little heavy at the moment due to light drizzle, however clear blue skies forecast for tomorrow and colder temperatures returning for the weekend. Should be fantastic for a while yet.....

ski holidays
Forget the old estimates: It was epic!Shocked 1m of new snow at the Col du Tourmalet (2100m), 80cm at 1800 and 50cm at 1500m! Nice - Pictures of the days events to follow!
latest report

Dig out that sign Fred... they also had to carve teh Toumalet chair lift out of a 3m snow drift...

The conditions are now really cool though with a hard top (not breakable), making a day for amazing off-piste conditions, you can ski anywhere on a fine crystal snow on top of the banks of new stuff. I have skied in places I have never skied before (after 7 years of being here!!). People were having fun with the speed skiing too!
snowHead snowHead

New snow due next week too, welcome back winter!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy