Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pyrenees 2010/2011 Snow Report

Poster: A snowHead
i was wondering if anyone want to start a pyrenees snow watch page. i think im a bit new to do it!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 26-10-10 19:04; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
raymann, I'm sure folk will join in, but you'll need to edit the spelling of Pyrenees in the title (and I suggest you put Snow Report in the title as well

Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
baqueira already has some early snow! whos going to be the first resort to open?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
where is that?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.baqueira.es/

About 2 hours from Toulouse, slightly closer from Pau.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
happy days. where is normally the first resort to open in the pyrenees?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Warm warm warm Sad

Last weekend's rain fell as, well, rain. And with temperatures perhaps as high as 6º or 7º during the day this week, even that early snow at Baqueira (right in the heart of the Pyrenees) is going to disappear fast.

However, low pressure is forecast for late weekend and early next week, bringing low temps and snow. Let's see how things are looking this time next week!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
anybody any news yet?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well we could ski down the main street in Bareges village at 1250m (Tourmalet resort), yesterday. It has got a bit warm though and street piste conditions have degraded some what Madeye-Smiley Things are due to head back to cold and snowy again Sunday night (have to hope the snow plow guys are a bit lazy!). The resort is due to open officially on the 26th of November. The don't tend to change opening/closing dates here based on snow levels... This time last year (I think it was the 9th), we had 50cm in the village and we were getting worried as our baby was due! All worked out well though and I had a nice little pre-season ski tour too snowHead Havent had as much skiing as normal since last year though for some reason....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No such luck in the Eastern Pyrenees Sad. Last weekend's Atlantic storm headed northwards before making it this far, as is common. No indications of opening dates from any of the resorts here yet, but that's usual since conditions are always a lot less reliable than over at the western end.

The snowmaking's been on all week though, trying to get a base ready. Let's see if we can get anything from that upcoming storm on Sunday; there's not much else on the horizon until the end of next week.

Still, can't expect to open in mid November every year... we've just become spoilt after the last two seasons wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
is there a resort seen as the most reliable for early snow?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Loads of snow across the Pyrenees yesterday and the day before...

http://www.nevasport.com/noticias/d/20145/imagenes-de-la-nevada-en-el-pirineo

http://www.arinsal.co.uk/photos/main.php?g2_itemId=782

I hope it continues over the next 2 months as I'm out in Soldeu third week in Jan!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ah, the baqueira site has changed my photo above - I'm guessing that's from the last few days.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That's a great set of photos.
snow conditions
And so it begins! (Very) limited opening announced for this coming Saturday at La Molina, Masella, GrandValira and Porté-Puymorens. Don't get too excited though; this is the typical eastern Pyrenees opening race with not so much actual sliding on offer. Just a tiny handful of kilometers (and merely 600m at La Molina!).

Not sure about Porté, but Masella is opening its season for real. GrandValira, however, will close on weekdays next week and reopen on the 27th, on which date most other Pyrenees resorts will open in preparation for the long Spanish public holiday period from 4th-8th December.

A little bit more snow is forecast for tonight and heavier stuff across the weekend.

It's a mere €12 for 12km at Porté this Saturday (without doubt the best offer for this weekend). See you there, weather permitting!
ski holidays
i live in hossegor in france. can anybody recommend me a good resort in the western pyrenees. is there a resort that is seen as the biggest/best? there seems to be lots of small ones but i really want to find one and sort of make it my default option, possibly getting a season pass.
latest report
Hi raymann, I've not actually been to either, but Grand Tourmalet on the French side and Formigal on the Spanish side are the largest resorts near to you. I guess the French side will be somewhat easier to reach. Are you a skier or boarder, and what level are you?
ski holidays
im a boarder, and i have done a season before in the alps and would class my self as very confident. surfing is my life, im in everyday its any good, so physically i should be well set for the coming season.

i actually went to formial a few years ago but found the terain a little to flat for snowboarding. astun in spain however was a very tidy little resort.

does anyone know if there is a season pass that covers multiple resorts?
snow report
How about this

http://www.nevasport.com/noticias/d/20145/imagenes-de-la-nevada-en-el-pirineo

snow report
It's snowing in Soldeu today
latest report
raymann, yeah I guessed from your location that you'd be a boarder wink

Your opinion about Formigal matches what I've read. If I make it over to that end then I'd certainly be heading to Astún or Candanchú given the choice on the Spanish side. I think that these two have a shared day pass, so I guess they share a season pass too. The French resorts have shared pass because they are owned by the same company. I also found this which looks like a discount card for day passes.
ski holidays
Andorra; 26cms forecast between now and next tuesday, bit of relief as we are off there second week on jan and were starting to get bit concearned!
ski holidays
Will be in Baqueira in a few weeks...
snow report
cbowls30: don't be too concerned, it's been a fine build-up to the season! The fact that virtually all Pyrenean resorts are opening in November means that for the third season in a row we're on good form. The current snow levels are nothing to worry about at all for this time of year (and are maintainable thanks to the prolonged cold snap and corresponding non-stop snowmaking).

But yeah we should definitely be on the look-out for those coming storms. Those in the know seem to think that this season Europe will be colder but drier than average. All the pistes will be doing just fine in January, but the snowfall in December is what'll dictate the quality of the off-piste for the first third of the season.
ski holidays
Just been out for a wander with the little Garbure (Jenny), things are looking good and more snow due. I will grab some touring pics when I get the chance - things are all a bit hectic before the season starting this weekend....

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 27-11-10 14:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
cbowls30, Just got back from Soldeu last night (Wed 24th) when I got up yesterday morning on my balcony there was 6cm of fresh on top of the 15cm that was already there, there had been no mention of it in any forecast. The Mountain looks good and is due to open this weekend.
latest report
wahey!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Opening day today and we have just got back from checking out the slopes:

And it is all looking pretty damn good snowHead
snow report
in garbure we trust wrote:
Just been out for a wander with the little Garbure (Jenny), things are looking good and more snow due. I will grab some touring pics when I get the chance - things are all a bit hectic before the season starting this weekend....

Like the facial hair Rob, oddly enough tried to do exactly the same last month but the laughs were too much to take Happy Have a great season guys!!
snow report
Baqueira open, Peyragudes and Superbagneres opening next weekend. Very cold and snow down to 500m the last few days with colder weather and more snow forecast for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Conditions should be perfect for the Spanish holidays next week, and plenty of time to gets the ski legs going before the main UK ski season starts.

Excellent start to the winter Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Ski Guide, Yes there have been a few laughs! I'm getting a bit bored of it now though, despite being known in the village as the "barbe de Bareges"... Might have to send it on holiday when the guests arrive.

Things are going in well in Luchon then, bet you can't wait to get your skis back on!

See you around snowHead
snow conditions
looks great!
snow conditions
Snowing quite heavily at the moment down to 600m. More forecast overnight which is great for the start of the season this weekend at Superbagneres and Peyragudes. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
The day forfeit is free at GranPallars tomorrow! We're heading up early and getting a sneaky head start on the Spanish holidays. One day there, and then to... who knows snowHead. Baqueira looks like it's got great conditions, although Cerler has the greatest amount of snow (120cm) on the higher slopes.
ski holidays
Ski Guide wrote:
Snowing quite heavily at the moment down to 600m. More forecast overnight which is great for the start of the season this weekend at Superbagneres and Peyragudes. Very Happy Very Happy

Further snow this morning, 10cm fell in just an hour or so. Still very cold but the benefit is the superb dry powder that has accumulated even at low levels.

All of the resorts of the central Pyrenees are reporting excellent snow depths:

Superbagneres - lots but no official depths published
Peyragudes - 110/50
Baqueira - 80/50

Opening day tomorrow Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Baqueira yesterday was superb - a fantastic bluebird powder day Happy. What with the weather forecast consistently predicting a worsening of the weather today and tomorrow, we just went flat-out and had what will possibly turn out to be one of the best days of the season. And that was on what was more or less the opening week! My legs do not function today Toofy Grin

It was also the coldest day I've experienced in the Pyrenees, with temperatures on the top at a nippy -15C. An extremely abrupt temperature rise came in today though, and now there's a bit of melting predicted for the next few days. The forecasts aren't showing anything too interesting in the run-up to Christmas, although this weekend at least looks sunny with possibly a bit of fresh powder on Friday.
snow report
off-piste near Tourmalet
Pic du Midi from Laquette
Some pics from yesterday. Things now due to be warm and sticky until Thursday, but the pisteurs are looking forward to seeing an icey base layer developing after it chills again which should give a great hard base for the season.
Touring conditions are nice
Bareges side
snow conditions
does anyone know a good resort in the western pyrenees for this weekend? i was a little surprised that the recent snow seems to have disappeared!
ski holidays
1st couple of runs in Baqueira today. Snow seems in reasonable condition but getting worn & icy in odd places.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy