Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soft shell jacket

Poster: A snowHead
I'm now the proud owner of one of these. Bit of a revelation to someone who's used to bulky jackets. Really hoping I get the right sort of day to ski in it at some point. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen bodecia, I love mine (Arc'teryx) - but I don't use it in foul weather. Late season sunshine is it's thing. Oh, and lots of apres ski/etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen bodecia, looking for one for JulesB. He does ski in the right sort of weather, but always ends up hot and sweaty in his ridiculously heavy Spyder jacket.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mine is from the bike shop where I work. We stock the Halvarssons/Lindstrands range of motorcycling clothing, which also has a few pieces designed for snowmobiles.

http://www.jofama.se/snowmobile_wear/product_details.php?lang=6&id=71&cid=3
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My Aldi one is fine for not too cold days and was dirt cheap but keep looking for one that matches the Killy softshell trousers I picked up for next to nothing in Skiwear4less's end of season sale (which was just in time for the EoSB last year.)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells, pricey, but you could do worse than http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets/Gamma-AR-Jacket#Softshell
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a cheapish one and it was perfect for summer skiing. Not sure it'd stand up to winter conditions. However having said that, Richard E skied the whole week in one in March in LDA and said he was perfectly warm enough.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
Hells Bells, pricey, but you could do worse than http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets/Gamma-AR-Jacket#Softshell
Nice, and will be added to the shopping list. We've got the avvy stuff to buy first seeing as he's turning into a gnarly dude.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Butterfly wrote:
I have a cheapish one and it was perfect for summer skiing. Not sure it'd stand up to winter conditions. However having said that, Richard E skied the whole week in one in March in LDA and said he was perfectly warm enough.

My Aldi one was fine for EoSB conditions with no thermals under (forgot them!) and only when the temp got below about -10 did I use my Rossi jacket at Feb half term. Tacky Max had some (didn't look too close, don't need another unless it is a Killy!) and if he isn't too brand conscious Trespass make some decent ones.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hells Bells, I'm on my 3rd - they're practically indestructible but theft dealt with the 1st, then I decided I'd mis-sized (don't buy too big) - anyway, it's 9 years (!!) later and probably due for an upgrade.

Fantastic bit of kit.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have the Mountain Equipment G2 Ultimate Jacket and Pant:
http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/clothing/softshell/
(About 1/3 price at an OSC sale)

Yer, they look nice and are quite tough (although there are some pulled threads where they've caught on stuff) but, TBH, I'm more comfortable in a thermals, fleece and Pertex windshirt. The combination is more flexible (in both senses), breathes better and is much lighter too.

Some 'light' reading (though mostly relevant to hard shells):
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=2688
http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/breathability.pdf
http://www.mountainadventurecompany.com/index.php/eng/content/download/374/2338/file/Soft%20shells,fleece.pdf

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 23-10-10 21:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have been doing a little research on soft shells wink with hard shell jackets and pants most makers publish how waterproof and breathable they are however can this or is there the same ref for softshells? or am I just missing the specs Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maybe I've misunderstood the definition of 'soft shell'. Mine's a fraction of the price of the posted links above. Admittedly a nice staff discount but still much cheaper at full price. However, mine is essentially a windproof/waterproof zip-up hoody. Perhaps not quite 'soft shell'. Still I reckon it would do the job on those bluebird only just below zero days.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Got mine from Lidl last year. About £16. Skied in it last Easter - couldn't fault it. Even has lift pass pocket in the sleeve.

The quality of stuff from Aldi/Lidl is often remarkable.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dw832, Yep would probably need to a zero to the end of the price for a big name! Mine was about a tenner, found discounted on the rail of random clothes from previous offers in my local Aldi
snow conditions
Love my soft shell for late season skiing, a lot more breathable than my hardshell (although not very waterproof at all!). Got it for a bargain £50 from the Helly Hansen shop at Bicester, down from £150.
latest report
I got one of these http://www.estore.tog24.com/Mens_Softshell/ZORIN.html

only 60 quid. And I think it is great.
ski holidays
Salomon soft shells are as waterproof as goretex and more breathable (Climapro). Mines on its third season and I love it. Warm when you need it, very durable, still looks like new. Matching trousers very comfortable and kept me dry digging snow caves and playing in deep wet snow off piste. Oh and it stretches so is very comfortable

Not all softshells are equal, they range from full goretex eqivalents trough to pac a macs
snow conditions
madmole, full goretex isn't a soft shell. If it has an internal membrane (a la goretex) it's a hardshell. Just some hardshells feel soft on the outside.
snow conditions
clarky999, apart from goretex soft shell

http://www.gore-tex.co.uk/remote/Satellite/products/garments/soft-shell
snow report
shoogly, indeed, very pleased with my Arcteryx Goretex soft shell, as waterproof as the hard shell Smile
latest report
shoogly, Pretty sure technically that still counts as a hardshell, due to the membrane (the bit that makes it waterproof). The goretex windstopper is (I think) a true softshell though. Obviously that's basically just semantics, but apparently 'dems da rools' (according to my mountaineering flatmate who works at cotswold outdoors and gets trained in all these specs and stuff by the different manufacturers), and it's more than just feeling soft and and not rustling like a 'normal' hardshell.

Not that any of this really matters lol.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy