Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

An Interesting topic on Ski Technique

Poster: A snowHead
Hurtle, tiffin, please can I join your exclusive 'difficult to get up club?'
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, not exclusive at all, which is why, in all seriousness, this could be a genuinely useful topic. (Though I suppose that it isn't a 'ski technique' as such.)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We would have to measure your arms first.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is it worth my starting a separate thread on side slipping or is the topic not "interesting enough"?

Maybe I should expand - if these skiers are unable to develop the subtle control of edging, pressure and stance required to initiate and maintain a parallel "side slide" at an angle to the fall line for a distance of at least 10 metres, without an unintended change of direction or speed, will they ever be able to ski at the higher level to which they aspire?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, tiffin, We have actually been there http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=748603&highlight=stranded+whale#748603

In fact a look at the search searching for posts that I've made as an author, and including the words "stranded whale" Laughing will bring up a number of similar postings Laughing However, I do still struggle Laughing The trouble is I think is seen a laughable subject, particularly if I personally bring it up as a subject - however maybe if you two were to start a thread...................
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar, someone you know (knew)? Shocked

Me Embarassed

More seriously, one thing that can help you get up when in deep snow is to lay one ski pole on the snow then place the other one across it to form an X. You can then push against the two poles where they cross over each other and get a little bit of assistance as the poles don't sink into the snow too much.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yoda,
Quote:

Is it worth my starting a separate thread on side slipping or is the topic not "interesting enough"?

Yes, it's both interesting and important. I'm not too bad at side-slipping but, occasionally, start to move forward a bit, unintentionally. I can see that this could be very dangerous in certain circumstances, so I'd welcome learning how, reliably, to avoid doing that.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you move forwards or backwards when sideslipping it might be that (a) you are not standing centrally on you skis (either too far forward or back) or (b) your upper body is rotating in an effort to stay balanced and is forcing your skis to rotate a bit.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Is it worth my starting a separate thread on side slipping

Yoda, i dont know is it? how thick is your skin? will anyone get anything out of it probably yes, will you get loads of grief probably yes,
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, oops! Laughing
Yeah, that's what I meant by the crossed poles thing. They did sink. Um, perhaps I should lose some weight. Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle wrote:
They did sink.
They will sink a little bit, but less than just sticking your arm in to the snow.

Quote:
Um, perhaps I should lose some weight. Embarassed
Or longer poles?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle, You could practice side slipping where you deliberately go forwards and back - a bit like the old falling-leaf - and you will get a better feel for control. When I am coming down cat-tracks I will often initiate a high speed partial side slip as practice of direction and edge control.

oh god.... more than 1 post in BZK in a day. I'm doomed Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I'm doomed

to become a better skier through deeper understanding of the sport?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, no - only spending money on shiny things does that...

Time to start my annual failure to read the whole way through Ron Le Masters book.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoatsbrother, never mind, at least you've seen the light where cars are concerned Toofy Grin Are you going diesel or are you Clarkson?
snow report
I can see a Dragon's den product here. A small device that could be carried or even clipped to a ski pole with a sprung formed piece of nylon on it (like a pop out clothes basket or childs sun shade on a car window often used) which then forms a solid screen that could go under crossed ski poles in deep snow to provide an increase in surface area to push against - it might be useful to anyone falling in deep snow. Such a mechanism could be made very light - or maybe something with large surface area that could be temporaraily inflated to push against.
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
Such a mechanism could be made very light - or maybe something with large surface area that could be temporaraily inflated to push against.

what... you mean like this >>>>
snow report
shoogly, Err...not exactly Laughing
snow conditions
stoatsbrother wrote:
Time to start my annual failure to read the whole way through Ron Le Masters book.

His 2nd edition is a bit more readable.
snow report
Yoda, POWER...!

well diesel actually

Megamum, this?
snow report
stoatsbrother, Well, OK if you really want to be seen blowing that up on a mountain in front of your mates I guess that and shoogly's, suggestion would suffice, but I was thinking something like a minature lilo actually, buy hey! whatever floats your boat!! Something that functioned like a brolly would also help, but be larger to carry.
ski holidays
Yoda, Perhaps it is down to an overly heavy focus in getting weight to the downhill ski early on in their learning process? uneven weight distribution coupled with a lack of focus on feeling when the skis are truely flat on the dendex due to a desire to move students into turns and demonstate progress before they are completely ready?

How about going back first to straight running with no poles and two fists between their knees and getting them first to feel how truely flat skis behave in a straight run on a gentle slope. Then as previously suggested move to a falling leaf or Baraguage drill where the will at least have some momentum to keep them moving. Then ask them to try a straight line traverse but to release their edges for the middle 1/3rd. Then finally go back to a pure side slipping.

Dendex is a horribly unforgiving surface for side slipping excercises especially if it is dry, or worse if there is a dry mat somewhere on your line on an otherwise wet slope.

(dons and asbestos suit and waits for the feedback) Toofy Grin
snow report
kevindonkleywood wrote:
Dendex is a horribly unforgiving surface for side slipping exercises

The lack of lumps and bumps helps though.
snow report
tiffin, Toofy Grin stray wires and lurking dry patches make up for that
snow report
fair point Very Happy
latest report
Well, here I am as well, proving the point that there is interest in posts on ski technique. More ski technique geekery please.

Enjoyable thread nontheless.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy