Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whats wrong with snowblades / skiblades / short skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Oxyrox, you would be more likely to fall backwards on blades or skis with minimal tails.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mish1953, figls are old news. You need RAX... google that - or "Tom from Austria" and you will find out Wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I learned to ice skate before learned to ski - about 1962-ish , cant lean too far forward or too far back - same goes for short skis / figls , got to get your balance right.

Stoatsbrother - thanks for that those RAX 's they look interesting but I'll stick with what I got .. the figls were bought in Austria in June 1988 while 'mucking about ' on the Tiefenbach Glacier near Solden , stupidly slow but a giggle in slushy couloirs .
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
im a new member here and used to be a proper skier lol. I now love using my blades and my ski boards and my short fatties. the reason i stopped using long skis was shear utter boredom. im not rubbishing long skis because on the mountain most people use them and enjoy there fun in the snow. the same goes for boarders and those of us that love to use shorter skis. please dont rubbish shorter skis because clearly you dont know how to use them and probably never ever been on them. what was that statement on here! "anything you can do i can do better" well actually no you cant. no matter what type of wood you use to have fun on the slopes they all have things that they can do better and worse than others. i use different skiboards dependant on the conditions im skiing in. powder no problem! 125cm summit ski boards if its deep and if its just fresh power on pisted runs say 6" then my salomon SB9 99cm are perfect, for just about everything my favourite and best all round skiboards are sporten Marvins 80cm. never mind the rubbish about skidding turns lol hands up who can make a proper carving turn in 3mtrs!!! Long skis no chance! maybe 15mtrs! yawning just thing about it uugh!. Take a look at youtube at just how versatile these types of skis can be. By the way the idiots that youve seen out of control coming down the mountain on blades as you call them are probably proper skiers who think they can use the same techniqes as they use with long skis lol well you cant its as simple as that! as for injuries well in my time on the slopes iv seen many a long skier crying for his momma! hell iv even stopped many a time to help them get there long skis with those self release bindings back on there boots. i can ski blacks reds greens, moguls eat them for dinner! there is nothing more laughable than watching a long skier trying to get round those tight moguls lol woops a daisy! again and again lol. there are some skiers who can ski anything because there bloody good ! but for the most part most long skiers bladers and boarders are just ordinary because we spend our time working hard all year just to get our beloved week or two on the slopes once a year. the question about release bindings, well if your buying boards under 110cm only use not release bindings there safe enough and as for poles well whatever turns you on but for those who do want to fit release type bindings to ski boards or blades remember this! without poles how are you gonna get them off your boots? long skiers use the poles to also get the release bindings to release lol . outside of that poles are a pain in the bum and totally unnessesary for skiboarders.. Skiing is all about what turns you on and whats good for some is not for others! but that does not give you the right to rubbish others sport!
I will continue to have fun on my chosen weapon of fun and by the way will always be available to help anyone back on there feet when they have a spill even the biggots on this thread lol . enjoy your 2016 season and stay safe no matter what you ski on Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The above post has got to be the best troll of all time!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The above post has got to be the best troll of all time!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Short skies are totally awesome!!! I stopped using my long skies 15 years ago, they were 210cm and lots of speed, but that was all. I have been using Figls and more recently skiing on 92cm boards and having way more fun. skiing in and out of trees and quickly around moguls on steep black runs watching the long board skiers try to look cool as they stumble and tumble down the slope. i have been looking at the "Sled Dogs" snowskates and have to get me a pair. I also learned to ice skate before skiing and played ice hockey even though I am in Australia. Short skies require excellent balance you actually have to have your weight over the center of your boot and ski. Long skies are very forgiving which is why most people never learn to ski well they can lean back or forward and still stay upright. If your weight is not over the center of your boot then no matter what the length of ski you will never become a very good skier, just average. For those out there with poor balance and poor skiing technique do not try short skies you will hate them. For the rest of you try it you will be surprised……… as always hit the white stuff and have fun. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Loved mine but found them harder work, and my knees were not keen on them. Original Snowblades

Was fun seeing reactions when ski leading was available and you weren't at the back.

Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Laughing Not this again.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Short skies are totally awesome!!! I stopped using my long skies 15 years ago, they were 210cm

You were using 210's in 2002?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What ever happened to Rax????
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@the_doc, I'm 5'6" and have fresh new 204s to play with this season...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's nothing wrong with blades - except that mine were stolen after I stupidly forgot them and left them lying Sad . But I'm all for anything that is fun and I believe trying any alternative gear on snow can only help. Variety is the spice of life Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fun thread.

I think "what's wrong with blades" has been well covered and I tend to agree with the majority sentiment. I've certainly never thought "wow, that guy/girl looks so cool on those blades" and that's without doubt the most important thing on the mountain. Fun is so overrated.

My advice would be to grow a big beard, get a check shirt and simply blame the blades on being 100% hipster.

Oh, and wear a bow tie.....obviously.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@the_doc, I'm 5'6" and have fresh new 204s to play with this season...

To be fair I've been looking for some straights on eBay. Must be over 2m for sure!
snow report
@Charlichoo, to actually make a serious comment rather than the massive extraction of urine going on here Very Happy a great deal has to do with your size & weight, a small light person on blades is not a lot different to a large heavy person on skis. My daughter skied The Swiss Wall on blades with no problem at all, but she hates normal length skis, normally skis short skis, 120 Salomons IIRC, but then she's 5' 2" & weighs less than 8 stone. She always uses poles as doesn't like sliding about in the middle of a big lift Q on a slope!

The biggest problem I have with blades is some of the people on them, as others have said, you'll see someone over 6ft weighing 18 stone on a silly little set of blades, which basically means they have limited control & virtually no brakes at all.

They are great fun for a day or 2 on piste or in a snowpark, but I would never dream of using them as a permanent thing, short skis are a LOT more usable, again depending on your size/weight, but obviously if you're venturing even slightly off piste then forget either blades or short skis
latest report
threadbumptastic

agreed, they're toys for half a day's laugh (even 6 years later) Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy