Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whats wrong with snowblades / skiblades / short skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Whenever someone posts about snowblades a large proportion of replies are negative and say that its not "proper" skiing - But why?

I've searched the forums for info on blades as I fancied a set for some fun days on the piste, but was amazed at some of the posts Shocked
Does it really matter what a person has under their feet as long as they are enjoying the snow?

Well despite the amount of bad press on here I am now the owner of a brand new set of Head Salamander 94cm blades (newer version of the Head Shape 94 / Big Easy)and I'm looking forward to using them snowHead

Anyone else willing to admit to owning a set of blades?

www.theski-shop.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=214&Item='HEAD Salamander Snowblades + Tyrolia Bindings'

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will you use poles with them?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Will you use poles with them?

(The right answer is "no").

charlichoo, yes, we have a pair of blades, but they have the old non-release bindings and I shall be putting them to the Decathlon "Troc" later this month (for sale, that is). But have fun and ignore the insults. Get yourself a nice long bag and you can save heaps of money on ski carriage, too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
so long as you can enjoy the snow whilst not being a danger to others, sadly those on snow blades are more often than not dangerously out of control, not the fault of the items underfoot but more to do with the owners.

skinanny, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have a set of Allz 94cm for playing with at the Snowdome, good fun, easy to transport, nothing wrong with them for mucking about on and perfectly controllable, nice and sharp turning (very handy in the restricted space of an indoor slope) yep you see some out of control muppets on them some times, no different to skis and boards!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Can't say I've noticed more bad skiers on blades, if anything I've seen more boarders out of control but I wouldnt slam snowboards for it.
Must admit I'm a pretty tame skier, its not about getting down the hill as fast as possible, I like to take my time. Plus wifey not the fastest skier in the world!

I'll be taking mine to Castleford Xscape for a try out and did think the short length would be useful on an indoor slope.

And I've already thought about saving on paying extra for ski carraige on flights!

POLES - now that is something I've not considered Puzzled

Poles would be handy for progress in queues but would they look stupid on the slopes?

I also have an old pair of Saloman Minimax 99.9cm blades that I picked up cheap while waiting for the the new season Heads to come in stock.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
charlichoo wrote:
Poles would be handy for progress in queues but would they look stupid on the slopes?

Not at all. Use of poles is actively encouraged to ease movement on flatter sections and in queues.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
make sure you achieve the optimal gap between goggles and hat too wink

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ROFLMAO

That is soooooooooooo not the look I'll be going for Laughing

Although I'm far from a fashion icon
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Everytime you use them, God will kill a kitten.

________

They're useful as a training tool to get people out of the backseat, but other than that they have no advantage whatsoever. Other than as a fancy dress item.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
charlichoo, where was that? nice snow. If you get a good fresh snowfall when you are on holiday you will find the blades a bit of a liability. Especially once it's been chopped up. they're excellent on hard moguls but grim in the huge soft mushy ones you get when pistes have been busy for an hour or so after a fresh fall of snow. It was experiencing that (and my refusal to tow him any more) which persuaded my brother in law to move from blades to short skis (a totally different thing). It was difficult on the steeper bits and completely impossible on the flatter bits where he would normally have skated. The blades just came to a halt, basically. After that he never went back. He still won't use poles though.

I found blades much harder on my knees than skis - despite the obligatory forward balance. not sure why - more dynamic use of legs, I suppose. On skis you just stand and go, in comparison much more restful.

I despise people who despise blades on principle. But I have to admit that blades and poles are the ultimate uncool.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
charlichoo, as Pam says above, imho you will get more stability, speed, and a better all round experience on proper sized (for you) skis than blades.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999 wrote:
Everytime you use them, God will kill a kitten.

________

They're useful as a training tool to get people out of the backseat, but other than that they have no advantage whatsoever. Other than as a fancy dress item.

Don't believe in a God, so the kittens are safe wink

I'm not wanting them for any kind of advantage, just to have fun on!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
charlichoo, where was that? nice snow. If you get a good fresh snowfall when you are on holiday you will find the blades a bit of a liability. Especially once it's been chopped up. they're excellent on hard moguls but grim in the huge soft mushy ones you get when pistes have been busy for an hour or so after a fresh fall of snow. It was experiencing that (and my refusal to tow him any more) which persuaded my brother in law to move from blades to short skis (a totally different thing). It was difficult on the steeper bits and completely impossible on the flatter bits where he would normally have skated. The blades just came to a halt, basically. After that he never went back. He still won't use poles though.

I found blades much harder on my knees than skis - despite the obligatory forward balance. not sure why - more dynamic use of legs, I suppose. On skis you just stand and go, in comparison much more restful.

I despise people who despise blades on principle. But I have to admit that blades and poles are the ultimate uncool.

Thats Austria Sportwel ski amade, top of the Grafenberg looking towards St Johan im Pongau.

The ones I've bought are quite a fat ski blade with a wooden core and get great reports (off of this forum anyway!) and are not to be confused with the early foam cored snowblades that were quite narrow.
Our friends (who are Austrian) have multiple sets and often use them. It was talking to them that made me decide I'd like some too!

I do find some people are "length snobs" and they must always have the longest possible skis to prove they are good skiers.
Whereas lenght to me is not important, I'd sooner ski better on a shorter ski than look like an idiot on too long a ski.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If I'm wrong and I hate the blades, then I'll hold my hands up and confess all.

But if I love them, I'll also be posting!
snow conditions
Each to their own. Look forward to see how you got on with them.
ski holidays
Easier to get away with bad technique on blades than it is on skis. If you ski them well they can be a bit of fun, but ultimately a bit limiting with what you can do with them as they are a bit of a one-trick pony.
ski holidays
Snowblading is to skiing, what the Fast walking thingy is to Track and Field.
snow report
I had nothing against blades on principle then I went on holiday with people who use them. They're easier to turn but they look like so hard work in anything but perfect piste conditions, you need to have better balance as well and there is no way you can ski deeper snow without being in the back seat which is absolutely knackering. I feel my dislike for blades is perfectly well informed NehNeh
snow report
I have a set of snowblades.

I keep them under the stairs along with my Glee DVDs, rainbow flag and Jimmy Somerville records.
ski holidays
in a PVC box?
snow report
oz5000, do you have a little leather waistcoat in there too?? Very Happy
snow conditions
Maybe some platform shoes...
ski holidays
Hey im new here so dont wana make enemies but i think they look SILLY hehehe
ski holidays
Sainter, welcome to snowheads! snowHead I think you'll fit right in. Very Happy
snow conditions
sainter, no sillier than your living room
ski holidays
graeme, nice cross-thread referencing Smile
snow report
charlichoo, there is nothing wrong with them *
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
* If you come near me with them I'll kill you by shoving them laterally down your throat.

BTW, you'll look like a tossssssser. (Insert Rimmer salute.) But it really isn't my problem so I don't care.

But, just for the record. You'll look like a complete tossssssssser.

Interestingly it's only men who say that length isn't important.
snow conditions
everything
snow report
FlyingTosser wrote:
* If you come near me with them I'll show myself as a tosser by trying to shove them down your throat and failing.

BTW, you'll NOT look like a tossssssser. (I Like Rimming ) But it really is my problem so I care.

But, just for the record: I look like a complete tossssssssser.

Interestingly it's only men like me with a short willy who say that length is important.

snow report
FlyingStantoni, bit of a late night was it?
ski holidays
I'd prefer to ski real skis on dendex than I would blades on snow
snow conditions
I would like everyone to know that SMALLZOOKEEPER, stole my Snow Blades and keeps them for POw days as he likes to sink into the beauty that is Mont Blanc.

I would simply like to add that skiing is for fun, so use what you like, wear what you like and do what you like.

However, that doesn't mean ski on blades!!! And for the love of sanity, please don't start using poles with them too!!!!!

Take a few private lessons on skis with a decent instructor instead of spending money on the blades and I am sure you will enjoy your skiing no end!

FlyingStantoni, Mental, but fair Smile
ski holidays
I had a go on some blades last season just to see if they were really as bad as i'd heard...

they were worse. totally unstable and dangerous at any decent speed. mind you, they were an old set with old crappy bindings.

maybe it was the bindings that were the problem, but i won't be rushing to use any again.
snow report
Agree with most of what's been said here; good for eradicating back seat driving, and good fun for popping jumps and learning switch. That said, I'd stil steer clear because they encourage more bad habits than they cure (lazy skid turns being the main culprit).

My main issue with them is there is nothing, and I mean nothing, you can do on them that you can't on normal length skis. Opting for blades show's your lazy, nothing else. You'll also have to develop a thick skin to deal with the sneers and derision you'll attract all over the mountain, from everyone. You really are the lowest form of life on the hill. And as for those twunts to use poles with them, may the lord protect us...
snow conditions
Quote:

My main issue with them is there is nothing, and I mean nothing, you can do on them that you can't do better on normal length skis

Fixed it wink
latest report
clarky999, GP,WM
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

My main issue with them is there is nothing, and I mean nothing, you can do on them that you can't do better on normal length skis

Fixed it wink

I disagree, there are lots of things you can do on blades that you can't do on skis.

Here's a couple.....

1. Automatically lose your friends without personally offending them
2. Become jeered at by any credible skiier, for no other reason that you have blades.
3. Find out how using poles with them makes you even more hated, yet on skis, poles are fine.
4. Put ones self in dangerous risk of injury, either falling or become the target of various flying objects
5. Wear the oldest, brightest all in one and not look worse than you did without it.

99. Eventually find out that 99% of people on Snowheads were right and one glorious day you will be skidding down the hill and a ray of light will shine upon you. You will feel guilty, but not sure why. You will feel robbed, but not sure why. You will be compelled to Blade in to the nearest tree at full speed in the full 'I'm on the toilet' position, yet not sure why. Then while you are laying there, with a sore head and half a tree around you, it will hit you....... it's the BLADES that have ruined my life.

None of the above will occur on skis.

Disclaimer - The above cannot and will not be verified or upheld at a later date. One cannot accept the resposibiliites of ones actions and you have been warned my the Snowhead community. None, who have tried to help can or will be held resposible for said actions.

Smile
ski holidays
Whats wrong with snowblades / skiblades / short skis?

Usually the people on them. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy