Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wide feet ? High Volume - Be sure to try Tecnica Boots....

Poster: A snowHead
Ha, guess so - I'll cover that one off also thanks, but bootfitters fit boots not wear them is my view, and could be swayed by what they can get a supplier dealership for not what is best -Tecnica boots have a great following and I just thought someone might see them here. Also RRP is not always the key buying criteria, yes they may be more expensive but IMO you get what you pay for!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The only problem I have is one of the metal dual pivot plates keeps falling out. I've got some spares from the nice importer people in Kendal, but the new ones keep popping out. Should I try putting two of the securing bolts in? There only appears to be one and a blanking plate on the other three, but this is really frustrating me. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks STEVE

This is a common problem, the issue is the internal insert is made of a very soft alloy that strips quickly, then the screw/bolts fall out, tecnica have sent spares to many shops made of a harder alloy, this will solve it, warm up the plastic and smash it into place, replace the screw, and cover if you haven't lost it and there we go.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Quote:
...on a thread where 3 different bootftters are less than generous with praise for them

^ Aye - but only because they are trying to sell you an alternative brand Wink
Many other people swear by them, including 4 people in this thread.
Like i said before - take a look what many alpine guides / instructors / patrollers have on their feet every day. A remarkably high % go for Tecnica.

To my mind there is no debate about the high quality / performance of the boots. Especially for people with wider feet who need top end performance. Though I perhaps understand a little better why not everyone stocks them.

4 out of how many on the forum?????

patrollers & instructors tend to go for what they get for free or cheap , not what they should be in
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

patrollers & instructors tend to go for what they get for free or cheap , not what they should be in

As Charlie says, here in Cham, it's Lange, Lange, Lange, unless they swing by and swap them here.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER - I never had a problem with mine, but know there was an issue with earlier Magnesium models. A friend of mine had this issue and he got replacement plates and bolts from Kendal also, and simply put locking fluid on them and all OK. Sorted on late models, and this is easily fixed.

CEM - Yep Lange great boots also but I believe them to be a narrower race boot fit. IMO its what fits, and also yes commercial aspects do come into it...........it you looked in St Anton its a 50/50 Tecnica/ Lange split............I suggest its all down to which comapny does the best deal with the ski guide company.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
^ I would definitely consider Lange the next time I need ski boots.
The RS130WIDE also looks like a great performance option for people with wide feet.

http://www.langeskiboots.com/GB/GB/rs-130-wide_LB01050_product_men-boots.html

Quote:
4 out of how many on the forum?????

Errr... 4 out of the 10 people who have gone to the effort of expressing an opinion on this topic Wink
Looking at peoples feet around alpine resorts its pretty clear that Tecnica have a following amongst good skiers.
Got mine heat fitted, added super feet, and never looked back or suffered from boot issues since.
Though I am happy to acknowledge there are probably other similar / good options.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmmm, gonna stick my head on the block a little here,
Quote:

Errr... 4 out of the 10 people who have gone to the effort of expressing an opinion on this topic

The thread title mentions tecnica and will attract those defending their purchase, non?

Quote:

Looking at peoples feet around alpine resorts its pretty clear that Tecnica have a following amongst good skiers.

I disagree, can't say i see any one brand that stands out, if we're talking about Good skiers, Freeride, freestyle and Alpine, I'd say tecnica are the least represented.

Quote:

Got mine heat fitted, added super feet, and never looked back or suffered from boot issues since.

This is the case, for all people buying boots from me, except the superffet bit, we fit custom only, not one of them have Tecnica boots.
Quote:

Though I am happy to acknowledge there are probably other similar / good options.

Negates the thread title.
Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^ Obviously I thought this thread might rock the boat a little Smile

Just making the point that Tecnica is a very valid option for wider feet / high performance ? non ?
So far no one has denied that - however I also find the reasons why people don't stock / like / recommend them interesting.
There are obviously some other very valid wide foot suggestions here (Lange / Head / Atomic plus others).
No harm in looking around to find what works best for you ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think I will add what I was going to put a couple of days ago, in the interest of brand fairness for companies that do models that fit wider feet, do the bootfitters think we ought to mention the Head Edge? IIRC I'm sure I've seen the odd bootfitter around here confirm that they a wider fitting boot - bootfitters please comment. I know I have a wide foot (and high instep - its a bu%%er shopping for fashion boots) and I was fitted to a Head Edge 8.8
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, Head Edge is a great boot, wide yes, but massive in Volume. It's a good choice if to minimise work, personally i'd go for another boot and stretch the boot to fit.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It is very rare in life that those with a commercial interest display so much honesty.

CHAPEAU (X)/(S) to SMALLZOOKEEPER, and CEM, long may you both keep each other honest ! snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Just making the point that Tecnica is a very valid option for wider feet / high performance ? non ?

Is that the case for all models in the Technica boot range?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, Boom. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is the plastic that ski boots are made of inherently designed so it can be made to stretch with, I guess, the application of heat (that must be how you do it, isn't it?), or could/does the application of heat compromise the shell in any way, or are the boots so thick to begin with that it doesn't really matter?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, All of the above. Gently gently
latest report
So... The 2010/11 Snow & Rock brochure dropped in my door with a thud today...

On page 215 they have a ski boot summary that compares all this years boots in one table. Check it out.
Under 'mens / expert advanced' category they have 21 different boots (which is a decent range).
Can anyone guess what the *only* boots they recommend for wide feet or high instep are ?
Will give you a clue - they stock Atomic, Black Diamond, Dalbello, Fischer, Nordica, Salomon, Scarpa and Tecnica
The orange ones aren't even the most expensive either.

For what its worth - would much rather buy my boots from a small local store if possible (no snow & rock in Scotland).
But number one priority would always be finding the best boot for my feet.

Doug.

p.s Am I a very bad person for bringing this up again. Twisted Evil
Flame on!
ski holidays
NO? BUT WHO CAB TELL YOU IF YOU HAVE A WIDE FOOT WITH A HIGH INSTEP? I RECKON MOST PEOPLE HAVE ONLY EVER REALLY PAYED ATTENTION TO THEIR OWN FEET SO WHERE IS THE POINT OF REFERANCE,
snow report
wot he said ^^^^^^ loads of people tell me they have wide feet, we measure them and they have a C width (medium at best)...often people have foot which functions wide, it pronates heavily and that causes the foot to splay out and seem wide..or they have lack of ankle flexion which has a similar effect
snow conditions
^ for sure.

sadly though not everyone can make it to Bicester or Chamonix to get their boots fitted.
in Scotland there are some very good ski / boot fitting shops - and also others maybe not so good wink
pretty sure it is the same the world over.
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, not saying you ca or should, just get onto a mondo point brannock measure and get correctly measured then say what width your foot is, all i am saying is that loads of people THINK they have a wide foot when really they don't

classic example tecnica diablo 99mm last not exactly wide but it has a rear end that you could park a bus in
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap, hummm I don't think ya gonna change any of the retailers minds Shocked I still have tecnicas on my shelf that are 4 seasons old that I can't budge! even at stupid prices people still go for the other brands! they maybe good boots for the right foot type but there initial fit isn't the greatest... yes there are good boots in there range but the problem is you have to stock a range in ski boots! and I personally don't think I could pick a range in there boots!

my 10 pence on it anyway... you never know they may have something exciting next year!
ski holidays
+1 for Tecnica. My feet are like a duck's; wide and flat at the front, narrow at the back.

SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
WHERE IS THE POINT OF REFERANCE,

Personally, from trying on lots of boots. I can soon tell if they're too narrow or voluminous - and I consider myself to be the the best judge of that, as although I'm not an expert bootfitter, they're my feet. Happy

Not that other boots mightn't work just as well, but my Tecnicas have given me long life and great pleasure. No problems losing the pivot plates either, although the logo pieces on the toes have gone. Doesn't seem to affect performance. wink
ski holidays
andyph wrote:

Personally, from trying on lots of boots. I can soon tell if they're too narrow or voluminous - and I consider myself to be the the best judge of that, as although I'm not an expert bootfitter, they're my feet. Happy

there might be the first error, normally when people try on " a lot of boots" it is in a shop which is giving them a size up from the shell that they really should be in

i am still at a loss how your skinny heels and low/flat instep are held well in the tecnica

BTW i am not Anti tecnica or any other brand, but some of the descriptions of how they fit just don't match how they feel to me and most other fitters who have tried them , sold them , worked on them
ski holidays
CEM wrote:

classic example tecnica diablo 99mm last not exactly wide but it has a rear end that you could park a bus in

They sound perfect for the OH Blush Shocked
ski holidays
andyph wrote:
+1 for Tecnica. My feet are like a duck's; wide and flat at the front, narrow at the back.

Which Tecnica do you use for those.....

Flat and narrow at the back doesn't sound like much of a match up to me!

Interesting how some seem to claim Tecnica are the most visible brand, perhaps they are when you are looking out for them! A high % of Ski Patrollers etc according to Haggis Trap, I would like to know since when.................

Nothing against Tecnia, but so many better alternatives for shop buyers (I'm not one FWIW, just a boot geek!)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy