Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wide feet ? High Volume - Be sure to try Tecnica Boots....

Poster: A snowHead
Simple bit of advice... That I have never seen mentioned here before.

If you have wide or high volume feet then make sure to try Tecnica ski boots the next time you buy.
The reason I mention this is because very few UK shops stock Tecnica boots (especially the top end models such as Diablo).
*Apparently* due to industry politics the smaller shops dont get offered the same trade price as the big boys?
And obviously shops that dont carry them may be reluctant to recommend them over other brands...

Yup - I am expecting to get flamed for this.
And obviously Tecnica wont be the perfect solution for everyone.
But people with wide feet would be crazy not to actively seek a store that stocks them... No harm in trying them on?
(Sadly, depending on where you live, it might mean a trip to Snow & Rock or Ellis Brigham though!)

Doug.

p.s Post based on this Fall-Line blog here....

http://www.fall-line.co.uk/blogs/a-painful-kick-up-the-back bottom
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
well, falliner needs a kick up the bottom too as he has failed to grasp that all important fact that a 103mm shell in a 26 will be around 107mm in a 27 and 111 in a size 28, if the back of his foot was as wide as the front them he would need a high volume shell but what he needs is a boot which fits his rearfoot and have the forefoot punched out....but he knows that, he just likes to insite debate Toofy Grin

yeah they may still require a bit of a stretch, but that is the easy bit, the most important bit is how the heel and ankle fits and the SHAPE not WIDTH of the toe box, there are many boots out there whichy feel much narrower than they are in real life just because theyare a bit pointy in the toe box which makes the toes feel squashed

other wider boots at the upper end are

Btech 120 from atomic, the new Lange RX and RS wide fit although measured at 100mm are much more spacious than that in real life due to the square toe box

Haggis_Trap, for your information there is no politics about pricing and tecnica and independant shops, normally you gain discount by buying volume, (same in all industries) not by bribing the rep

the bigest problem is that there are so many boots out there and many retialers look at RRP and match price points to their ranges rather than buying what shapes they need, the dragons are not the widest boots out there, but they have a squre toe box and loats of volume in the back end...is that good for everyone NO, is it good for a few yes sure
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
normally you gain discount by buying volume

For sure... but that also means the small shops (where you might prefer to buy something like boots) simply cant compete on price.
End result is that some independent stores no longer stock certain products.

My wide feet have had 3 pairs of Tecnica boots in the last 10 years (icons and diablos)
They have all been absolutely brilliant - in terms of fit and performance...
Obviously I would be reluctant to change next time I need to find new boots.
But my choice of store is now seriously limited - assuming I wanted to try on any Tecnica models?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Quote:
normally you gain discount by buying volume

For sure... but that also means the small shops (where you might prefer to buy something like boots) simply cant compete on price.
End result is that some stores no longer stock certain products.

But my choice of store is now seriously limited.

nope, they just accept the fact that they will make less margin than the big boys, thats business we have to accept it

tecnicas retail prices are quite hgh anyway comepared to some brands, but to be honest i didn't find any boot in their range which did soemthing /fitted differently from stuff i could get from another manufacturer

the other factor which we have to consider is delivery, in the past they have been renown for delivering boots in olate october and even into november.... i have sold 1/3 of my boots for the season by then so it isn't a great place to start

by now you will have educated yourself enough that you can walk inot a big box store and pick up the model and size you need, check it with a shell check and walk out knowing that if you need an adjustment you can find a fitter to do that

i have never seen your feet but i am pretty sure we could find an alternative that would work as well if not better, the fact that they fit you "out the box" woudl suggest that they aren't as perfect as you think they are
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
nope, they just accept the fact that they will make less margin than the big boys, thats business we have to accept it
tecnicas retail prices are quite hgh anyway comepared to some brands, but to be honest i didn\\\'t find any boot in their range which did soemthing /fitted differently from stuff i could get from another manufacturer
the other factor which we have to consider is delivery, in the past they have been renown for delivering boots in olate october and even into november.... i have sold 1/3 of my boots for the season by then so it isn\\\'t a great place to start

^ funnily enough this response is very similar to the one I got in my local ski shop (that no longer stocks Tecnica).

I am 100% sure that other brands could fit my feet no problem. Especially with tweaking.
But the performance / comfort of the Tecnicas has always seemed that little better to me (for my own foot shape and requirements).
Plenty alpine guides and instructors seem to agree that they make great ski boots.
Its just a shame they can be so hard to find in the UK... especially in Scotland.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

But the performance / comfort of the Tecnicas has always seemed that little better to me.

what else have you tried???
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would just like to add that the Icon and the Diablo are not the same fit.

There are different fits within the models of technica boots.

As someone hwo used to order them for a Ski shop I must admit that I wouldn't now. The RRP's are too high compared to other brands. The fit they offer can be acheived elsewhere, however I will admit that they do accomdoate well for the high instep.

However, in many of their boots the standard insoles are nearly half an inch thick as they know their boots are generally too big in the wrong places for the majority.

If it works for you then that is great and is why I used to buy them for customers like yourself.

Unfortunately if they are the right size and have not been stretched at 103mm they really aren't the widest boot out there and I would therefore come to the conclusion that actually your forefoot is not that wide.

I visited a store, for fun, last year to see what they thought was a good fit for me. They looked at my feet and told me they were wide due to teh shape. However, I have quite narrow feet, just an even narrower heel that makes the forefoot look wider. Hence why I ski in a 98mm shell, not the 104mm they were suggesting.

As someone who doesn't have a shop or stock to defend and someone who has bought tecnica as a buyer I really don't feel it is a necessary brand. Even the big boys don't stock every brand and believe Head to be a much more versatile brand and one of the main players don't stock that due to politics!

Sometimes the big retailers take products becasue they are offered such a good price as no independents want to buy it. I'm not saying that is the case here, but food for thought.....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last time I needed boots I tried on several of the usual suspects... Nordica Speedmachine / Doberman, Salomon, Dalbello, Atomic etc
In the end I specifically went looking for some Tecnicas (as I knew they worked for me in the past) - and for me they just seemed that little bit better.
Of course this is just my opinion. I am sure that other boots would have been OK too.
But the Tecnica Diablo has been fantastic - can ski them all day with no pain (including short hikes) and they offer superb responsive performance in variable snow.
Why would I want to change when I already know what works well?

Quote:
I really dont feel it is a necessary brand

Fair and interesting points - but Tecnica do make very good high performance boots.
Possibly one of the more popular brands amongst ski instructors & guides who have to wear them all day too!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 8-10-10 11:54; edited 4 times in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I often need a kick up the a**e, and CEM, often delivers it. Mind you, I shall throw it back with "why didn't you write that bit of wisdom in your bootfitting piece, eh". Eh? Honestly, these busy people...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Last time I needed boots I tried on several of the usual suspects... Nordica Speedmachine / Doberman, Salomon, Dalbello, Atomic etc
In the end I specifically went looking for some Tecnicas (as I knew they worked for me in the past) - and for me they just seemed that little bit better.
Of course this is just my opinion. I am sure that other boots would have been OK too.
But the Tecnica Diablo has been fantastic - can ski them all day with no pain (including short hikes) and they offer superb responsive performance in variable snow.
Why would I want to change when I already know what works well?
Of course it not everyone! but for certain foot shapes looking for high performance its a very good option...

Quote:
I really don\\\'t feel it is a necessary brand

Fair points - but Tecnica do make very good boots (IMHO).

Oh they do and as I said I have bought them before and would always consider them, currently they would just miss my short list for the reasons mentioned.

At least you have tried others and they work, which is great! Happy skiing Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We don't stock Tecnica.
1) They don't offer anything that is different, like for like than any other brand.
2) The quality of like for like models in buckles, liners, plastic etc isn't as good as any of it's competion.
3) Like for like, they are more expensive than comparitive brands at purchase and retail.
4) Not good marketing, endorsement or image as other brands, occasionally this is a factor when choosing between similar products (fit) between brands.
5) It sadens me, our rep is awsome.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fallliner wrote:
I often need a kick up the a**e, and CEM, often delivers it. Mind you, I shall throw it back with "why didn't you write that bit of wisdom in your bootfitting piece, eh". Eh? Honestly, these busy people...

Us busy people that spend our glorious lunch time and evenings on here always makes me laugh a little.... Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good point. CEM, write us some more wisdom instead of surfing...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fallliner wrote:
Good point. CEM, write us some more wisdom instead of surfing...

i don't have time for surfing, just 'fing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fallliner, Where can I see the article, I don't/am not able to get Fall Line, can you post me, email me the article???
snow conditions
besides, not done a piece this year, no one has asked for one Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

1) They don\\\\\\\'t offer anything that is different, like for like than any other brand.
2) The quality of like for like models in buckles, liners, plastic etc isnt as good as any of its competion.
3) Like for like, they are more expensive than comparitive brands at purchase and retail.
4) Not good marketing, endorsement or image as other brands, occasionally this is a factor when choosing between similar products (fit) between brands.

Interesting comments and justifications from all.
And I obviously expected a little bun fight / lively debate Wink
But hey - thats what web forums are for right ?

Not so sure about number 2 (IMHO the quality is excellent - mine have lasted very well. load of nice features too).
1,3,4,5 may be true to varying degrees.
snow report
Didn't you have to keep TNT's in the dark or the colour would fade?
ski holidays
I have very wide feet and have ended up getting a pair of Atomic B90s. Got fitted for them at Rivington Alpine. They fit really well without any tweaking so far (104mm wide). Still have to put them through their paces over a few days skiing. Theyve only seen the chill factor slope so far.
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
Didn't you have to keep TNT's in the dark or the colour would fade?

No you have to keep them in the dark to stop the shells exploding!!!

While working with SmallZookeeper I saw loads of these falling to bits, very funny stories come with them sometimes!

Saw a guy in the UK last year who asked if they could be repaired, made me giggle just a little when the entire forefoot had cracked up with a piece from eitehr side missing!

Even better was that he said he only noticed as his feet got cold very quickly, I responded with a very puzzled ' That's when you noticed??????'
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Quote:

1) They don\\\\\\\'t offer anything that is different, like for like than any other brand.
2) The quality of like for like models in buckles, liners, plastic etc isnt as good as any of its competion.

Interesting comments and justifications from all.
And I obviously expected a little bun fight / lively debate Wink
But hey - thats what web forums are for right ?

Not so sure about number 2 (IMHO the quality is excellent - mine have lasted very well. load of nice features too).
1,3,4,5 may be true to varying degrees.

For number 2 i think the CEM means in comparision to the similar priced boots, tecnica are a little overpriced for hwat you get. Also, it is really difficult to tell different type of plastics by eye, but it makes a big difference to flex consistency and durability of the boots. Pbax Vs PU for example.
ski holidays
Tecnica are part of the same group and use the same factories as; Lowa, Nordica, Dolomite and themselves. By their own admissions, Tecnica is a brand aimed at serving (within the groups stratergy: Primaraly: Italy, USA and Japan. Take away the Real race based boots and they will tell you they are all hyped and full of gizmos and gadgets, aparently the markets mentioned adore this. The cat flap, dual pivot points, carbon inserts. These things are all factors when chosing boots for us fitters. Personally I like to keep it simple. So would only buy the race series based boots, however, here, Nordica, Lange, Atomic are more interesting for all the forementioned reasons. Eg stretching the old Icons was a nightmare, the dual pivot on the Diablos would fall out, the cat flap destroyed rebound and function. The boot shapes are ambigious, not particulay anatomic, and generally the boots are faffy and over complex.

Take any boot comparable from any manufacturer and I can tell you that Tecnica looses in these basic principals. A Nordia SM over a Dragon, a Dobermann over a Diablo Pro etc.
When it comes back to fit, i'd rather work a boot for a few hours that holds up to the stress than put someone in a tecnica without mods.
latest report
Jimmythefoot, ahhhh, i miss you nez de cochon. Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:
When it comes back to fit, id rather work a boot for a few hours that holds up to the stress than put someone in a tecnica without mods.

At this point I would say stop! ...Then go find a Tecnica stockist to see what they had to try on.
Admittedly because I know for a fact that Tecnica, plus super feet, worked great for me in the past.
IMVHO its simply a great mix of comfort, fit (for wider feet), and performance.
Even if many UK stores dont stock them anymore for what ever reason.

Yup - I know you are going to disagree here Wink
And I am sure you could probably find something else to do a similar job.
snow conditions
Slightly off topic, but whilst we've got the bootfitting gurus in Tecnica mode please indulge me - I've got some diablo fires that CEM put some lovely zipfits into last year when the conformable liners started to break down. They are great boots (for me) and the zipfits have made them even better.

The only problem I have is one of the metal dual pivot plates keeps falling out. I've got some spares from the nice importer people in Kendal, but the new ones keep popping out. Should I try putting two of the securing bolts in? There only appears to be one and a blanking plate on the other three, but this is really frustrating me. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks Steve
latest report
^ yeah that happened to mine.
and admittedly a minor issue...
a little dot of glue on the screw head solved the problem nicely for me.
snow conditions
Steve Sparks, threadlock, you can get it form halfords or similar auto outlets comes in 3 strengths, doesn't matter which you use but try and avoid the very strong one incase you need to tkae it out at some point
snow conditions
[sticks head above parapet//] I have some Diablos, and what I like about them apart from the fit, (I too have wide feet) is the progressive flex, they initially have a reasonably soft ankle flex but will catch you if you go too far, plus the flex seems to be achieved with out a lot of distortion in the boot that I have had with other boots. [retracts head/]
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap, CEM, Cheers guys!
ski holidays
I have some Tecnica boots, fitted by Easiski's bootfitter, Cedric about 3 years ago . As they are for very wide feet, does that mean that these are not the right boots for me? I have very narrow feet, which Easiski described as weird as they don't have the usual lumps and bumps that other feet seem to have.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, like ALL boot manufactures tecnica make narrow and wide boots and some in between, generally though they are medium to wide in their range and high in volume...impossible to tell without seeing the feet in question

other than their race range the tecnica boots tend not to work for narrow feet
snow report
Not sure I should post 'foot porn' on here on a Friday evening.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
Not sure I should post 'foot porn' on here on a Friday evening.

maybe not, wink wink

what model boot is it???
latest report
CEM, this one http://www.alpinsport-bg.com/products.php?795&manufacturers=63&language=en_US&osCsid=60a420583eced2b80c7b7b511ff8cdfd .
ski holidays
oh, need to get my thinking cap on, from what i remember it was a 99mm last, so medium rather than narrow, very high in the instep and voluminous in the rear foot

certainly not a narrow boot but it all depends on foot shape and perception of narrow
ski holidays
CEM, I am definitely not voluminous in the rear foot, quite the opposite I would think, which is probably why I have so much heel lift, particularly in my left boot.
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
CEM, I am definitely not voluminous in the rear foot, quite the opposite I would think, which is probably why I have so much heel lift, particularly in my left boot.

yep
ski holidays
I have followed this thread with interest and myself have a pair of Tecnica Diablo Magma HiPer Fit (orange/ white) mondo 27 since 2007 and can honestly say that they are the comfyest performance boots I have ever had, I have a wider than average foot plus a high instep and when a custom insole is deployed they are totally comfy, no cramping etc. I can rip all over the mountain, sit over lunch, odd beer or 2 at the end of the day without loosening clips etc and they are IMO the business! I know comfort is not everything, but pretty important in my book. I have had them since new, and have just replaced them with new heels and toes (never seen snow), manufacturer spares from Tecnica.............................good as new.

However, I am looking for a walk mode, and my Diablos dont have this - and have just bought a pair of Black Diamond Factors (comes with walk mode) in the off-season so the Diablos are looking for a new home, any interest please contact me on marknor29@aol.com. I am looking to move them on, albeit reluctantly (they have served me well and have taken me to some awesome places) but will only sell for a good offer, please remember these are £400 new boots. Also they are not oderous (polite way of saying I have non-smelly feet and change my socks regularly!)

Can email photos if required, early next week - away for the weekend.
snow conditions
Markymark29, you might have better luck selling them in a new thread in the Buy Sell zone, rather than on a thread where 3 different bootftters are less than generous with praise for them Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:
...on a thread where 3 different bootftters are less than generous with praise for them

^ Aye - but only because they are trying to sell you an alternative brand Wink
Many other people swear by them, including 4 people in this thread.
Like i said before - take a look what many alpine guides / instructors / patrollers have on their feet every day. A remarkably high % go for Tecnica.

To my mind there is no debate about the high quality / performance of the boots. Especially for people with wider feet who need top end performance. Though I perhaps understand a little better why not everyone stocks them.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 9-10-10 10:20; edited 2 times in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy