Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance. Anything comparable, but cheaper than, dogtag ?

Poster: A snowHead
I have just received my renewal price from dogtag for the family travel / ski insurance and it has increased to £195 from £138 last year for the same cover, without any claims. This is for 2 adults and 2 children at their base level of cover, eg no cover for delayed departures etc. but it does cover sport at the 'extreme' level which I think is necessary for competitive mountain biking, in Europe, which the kids do. Also I am still trying to have a go at ski touring and this, I think, also comes in to the extreme category. I don't want to skimp but money is money and I am not a serial claimer. I have not made a single claim on the myriad of business, motor, household, travel and whatever other policies I have had in 20 years at least. Maybe when i do it will be a big one.....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skitow, they have to pay for the adverts somehow Little Angel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skitow, May be cheaper out there but my previous cheaper insurance took 6 weeks and no end of phone calls before sttling our claim. Dogtag paid out within 14 days and I didn't need to call them beyond checking they had received the claim paperwork. I guess you get what you pay for.
Some of the price increase maybe because of an increase in tax.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops, Of course they do. I would just prefer that they put it on someone else's account. Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skitow, one way to get something comparable to Dogtag but cheaper is to use the special snowHeads' discount link:
Dogtag ski insurance discount
That should take the cost down by 5%.

(and super-snowHeads get a larger discount)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boredsurfing, That is very good to hear. you are right of course, but I would not be happy unless I had tried. I don't think insurance premium tax (IPT) has gone up from 5% has it ? I have just renewed our Business Insurance and Fleet Insurance and they were both 5% IPT, and actually had not gone up themselves either.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
admin, Thanks for that. I will try that and report back. Everything helps.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skitow, IPT is goung up and of course VAT goes up in January as well so buy early!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jun/22/budget-insurance-premium-tax
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, IPT is going up to 6% (from 5%) in January. There is no VAT on Insurance premiums.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skitow, ah, never let the facts muddle a good line Laughing
PS. Dont let the coalition here about the lack of VAT Skullie

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 5-10-10 8:42; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
admin, Ok that does get down to £180 but that is still 31% more than last year. I really do wish I could get a 31% increase in my prices, even 3% would be nice. Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, If they paid out your claim in 14 days I am not surprised you are pleased with them. For travel insurance that sounds exceptional.
Was it for a big problem ? Or is that not for the public domain ?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skitow, It was for a broken wrist (wifes), La Plagne medical centre and hospital costs etc etc, The previous one was for a broken leg (Daughters) The latter was for slightly more as a piste recovery charge was incurred.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skitow wrote:
admin, Ok that does get down to £180 but that is still 31% more than last year. I really do wish I could get a 31% increase in my prices, even 3% would be nice. Sad
We do what we can Little Angel

FYI super/mega-snowHeads get double discount. So it's not exactly cost effective for you to subscribe for that reason alone, although you do get a nice warm feeling of being special added into the bargain Wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
(caveat for any snowHead feeling insecure after my last statement: - yes, every snowHead is special, even you)
snow report
admin, maybe if the snowhead cost was lower the warm feeling would be a more than just luke warm wink
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, even U can't squeeze sour grape juice from a stone.

I think a 10% discount is quite generous. You said yourself that the service is good. I can't advise whether it's a good choice as I'm not a financial advisor etc Confused
Are you saying that it's too expensive to become a super-snowHead? Surely not? It's entirely optional after all.
An increasing number of people each season find that subscribing saves them money. I even had someone, last Summer complaining that, after attending a couple of bashes, she'd saved 'too much' as she'd originally subscribed to support the side.
Clearly, the logic you should read from this is that if your motivation is to save money, you should come to the EoSB Wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 5-10-10 9:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
admin, Laughing Superb, and as always U know I would if I could snowHead
latest report
admin wrote:
Boredsurfing, even U can't squeeze sour grape juice from a stone.....

O ye of little faith. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
admin wrote:
skitow, one way to get something comparable to Dogtag but cheaper is to use the special snowHeads' discount link:
Dogtag ski insurance discount
That should take the cost down by 5%.

(and super-snowHeads get a larger discount)

Spoke with DogTag who "revisited" the quotation, it appears their "algorithms" were playing up. Have now bought the insurance through the Snowheads link with the 5% discount. I think we are all happy now. Very Happy
Based on my conversation with them and the comments by boredsurfing they seem like a very genuine bunch.
latest report
skitow, so, are you saying you they reduced the price?
ski holidays
Layne, In truth it now appears that the "algorithms" were fine, it was just that I inadvertently increased my cover level under one section Embarassed This was compounded by the smaller actual increase in the premiums that there has been to make the 30% I was talking about, wrongly Embarassed
Taking this off and using the Snowheads discount makes it much more acceptable Very Happy
I probably should have contacted them before posting on here, but then I would not have learnt about the Snowheads discount......
ski holidays
skitow, take a look at my discussion section and the thread on Insurance.

( http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=134900026541300&topic=150 )

There is a post about DogTag insurance and i would be very interested to hear what they have told you about cover for your ski touring i.e. off piste.

I shall be updating the off piste insurance thread on snowheads once all the policy wording details are available.
snow report
skitow, have you tried Snowcard? they do quite a few extreme sporting options. The only reason we don't use them still, after very many years is that they don't cover longer trips (I think there's a 30 day limit).

Having walked very gingerly yesterday, with two walking poles, down a very steep, narrow, rough and twisty track which is used for mountain biking if I were an insurer I'd exclude all MTB claims. wink
ski holidays
At Halifax and if you have an Ultimate Reward account, you can pay £12/£13 each month and this will give you travel insurance including winter sport etc (family). Another benefit is car breakdown cover (we have 3 cars). Plus another strange thing is they credit your account with £5 each mont!! Do belive they have other benefits but those two are greater value for money than paying out individually!!
snow report
Well considering it includes worldwide cover for me and the kids, plenty of time for skiing and cover for very daft stuff I need like offshore search and rescue cover as I'm crewing a yacht in the Fastnet race next year (the one thing that ruled Snowcard out) I think the Dogtag price of just over £150 for Pro level, extreme sports cover (with snowheads discount, thanks admin!) is very reasonable.
latest report
Not available to the over 64s though - clearly Dogtag think those of us who have reached extreme old age are a high risk.
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
Not available to the over 64s though - clearly Dogtag think those of us who have reached extreme old age are a high risk.

No, they must just believe in equality - you get a free bus pass don't you? And a pension? There should be a discount on stuff for taxpayers... Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Monium, I do have a free bus pass - though I find the concept a bit strange, and the only times I have tried to use it I found that it would be quicker to walk home (which I did) than take the bus. It does feel a little odd finding that I would have been fine last year, but according to Dogtag, I am an uninsuarble risk now. However, I am quite content with my BMC insurance, so I don't have a problem, personally.
snow report
If you get a big hike in your renewal premium, it's worth phoning and haggling. I did that with my travel and car insurance, successfully (you have to really mean that you will take your business elsewhere though).
snow report
Strange they will cover me for daft stuff like offshore racing (though not for Polo which is something else I plan on trying next year!), which the search and rescue costs would make the bill for a chopper to get you off the slope look like small change, but not experienced skiers just because they've passed a certain birthday! Would certainly consider my kids a higher risk than someone with years of experience!!
latest report
pam w wrote:
If you get a big hike in your renewal premium, it's worth phoning and haggling. I did that with my travel and car insurance, successfully (you have to really mean that you will take your business elsewhere though).

Yep, certainly goes for all insurance and is why I've never paid the advertised rate for my BT broadband since the first year.
snow report
skitow wrote:
Boredsurfing, IPT is going up to 6% (from 5%) in January. There is no VAT on Insurance premiums.

Actually, IPT on Home and Motor is at 5% (going up to 6% on 04/01). IPT on travel insurance is in fact at 17.5%, going up to 20%.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/budget2010/bn19.pdf (PDF warning!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy