Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

fat skiis for touring

Poster: A snowHead
I am considering buying a pair of K2 Coombas to set up for touring. I am planning a number of serious trips this coming season, including a late season week long haute route tour.

K2 claim that these skiis are excellent for touring and are specially constructed to provide a lightweight fat ski. I also find the idea of having such a powerful off-pise ski (105m underfoot) very appealling for the descent.

I do however have some lingering doubts about whether such a ski is too much for long climbs. Any feedback from people who have used this ski (or similar fat skis) for tours would be greatly appreciated. Better sugggestions most welcome!

Also I would be interested in feeback on bindings. I have always used Marker Barons - on the basis that they are outstanding for the descent. But will they be too heavy for serious (4 hour+) ascents?

many thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Coomba is an amazingly versatile ski (and not really Fat).

Quote:
lingering doubts about whether such a ski is too much for long climbs. (4 hour+) ascents?

For touring go dynafit - that is where you make the biggest weight saving.
Dyna + Coomba = almost ideal touring rig.
Baron is not a (proper) touring binding, it is for resort skiing.
...thread over.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perfect set up
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i do have a theory that even very light fat skis are more tiring because the increased surface area increases drag when sliding uphill

a lot of people use the dynafit/coomba combination. i'd say that is a little on the heavy side for true hut to hut touring like the haute route but if you only have one set up it's pretty hard to beat for versatility

i have skis with similar dimensions (but lighter weight) for touring. they are great on the way down. they are pretty good on the way up but they are not so great on icey traverses. even with crampons they feel a bit sketchy although i have never actually taken a ride while using them!

coombas with barons would be a nice resort/sidecountry combo but i don't think barons are ideal for longer tours because they are relatively heavy, mainly. people have done the HR on big heavy rigs (eg splitboarders...) but why make it harder than it needs to be?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

...thread over.

Indeed. It is a short step now to "what Dynafit compatible boot?"
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
On paper next years Movement Jackal could be a very nice touring ski.
(light for 100mm)

http://global.skipass.com/gearguide/movement/jackal.html
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gorilla, The one that fits.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I toured the last two winters on Whitedot preachers w/ barons. I only got maybe 6 day tours on them last season, but I thought they worked well, although I'm switching to a dynafit rig this year.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, as if on cue.

For the sake of argument, I'd throw the Mythic Light out there as a mid fat alternative. I'll probably get called names for this but I liked the 8800/Mythic a lot as an all purpose ski. Impressed by the weight on the Movement Jackal, though. I'd be intrigued by how that skis.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are these skis going to be purely for touring? I ask as I'm never keen on the idea of using dynafits for general lift accessed skiing due to the compromised safety. I do value whats left of my knees greater than many though!

Quote:

i do have a theory that even very light fat skis are more tiring because the increased surface area increases drag when sliding uphill

From an theoretical engineering standpoint Increased surface area should not make the slightest difference to drag as the force per unit area on the skin is reduced in proportion to the skin size. So it should all balance out. You do have wider heavier skins though which have greater area to absorb water or snow to ball up on. I'm guessing that might make a noticeable difference.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
scottishskier, that just goes to prove i am turning into an old fat barsteward Mad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
scottishskier, although you may be permanently cutting the trail if you follow people on narrower skis. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm on a Rossi S3/Baron set up for touring and used them all last season, mostly 1-2 hours sidecountry business, but also a couple of 3 day trips hiking 6 hours backcountry a day with 20kg on my back and was fine. I'm relatively fit, but no endurofreak by any means.

S3's are kinda light though, and only 98mm, and while obviously nowhere near as light as a bona fide AT rig, it got to the stage of only being able to take a certain number of set ups away at any one time and having to compromise somewhere.

Oh for the 50kg baggage allowance...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You do get three course meals at the hut on the HR. Eat more, get down the gym and ski anything you like. Or drop a load of coin on some DPS and be done with it - probably cheaper than a gym membership.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anybody tried or know anything about the Scott Powdair? I guess it would fall into this category? thanks
ski holidays
sledger, I got the crusairs with Dynafit for longer tours and steeps. Good skis - light, stiff, traditional shape but still easy enough in powder. Powdair gives you extra width at cost of a bit more weight. Haven't skied it but imagine it's very nice.

Sansnom, I did the Haute Route on Mythic Riders and Fritschis. I was a fat git at the time but it was ok. Coombas plus Barons would be lighter so perfectly ok and Coombas get great reviews. However you are doing a hell of a lot more up than down on something like the Haute Route so if you're gonna be doing lots of long tours you'd be better of pairing with Dynafit as the others have said.
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
sledger, I got the crusairs with Dynafit for longer tours and steeps. Good skis - light, stiff, traditional shape but still easy enough in powder. Powdair gives you extra width at cost of a bit more weight. Haven't skied it but imagine it's very nice.

Sansnom, I did the Haute Route on Mythic Riders and Fritschis. I was a fat git at the time but it was ok. Coombas plus Barons would be lighter so perfectly ok and Coombas get great reviews. However you are doing a hell of a lot more up than down on something like the Haute Route so if you're gonna be doing lots of long tours you'd be better of pairing with Dynafit as the others have said.
sledger, I've tried the Scott Powd'air but only with a downhill binding so far. I'm planning to use them with Dynafit this season. Compared to the Scott Crus'air (which is 10mm narrower) it's obviously a bit more ski, so even better for the deep stuff, though I find the Crus'air great, once you get used to its almost auto-turn characteristics - you really have to do very little to move them. What they share, along with the skinniest in the range - the Explor'air - are carbon, and that they cost an arm and a leg.

I skied some of the biggest days last season on Scott Pures, Stunts and Crus'airs and never regretted the days I was on the Crus'airs even when I didn't need to skin. I also did a week's tour on a pair of Explor'air/Fritschis which were fine, though not as skiable as the Crus'air (they're another 10mm narrower again). They obviously want a Dynafit binding, but I've got all these Scott skis as test pairs for visitors to use here in Zinal, so an adjustable binding such as the Fritschi is essential...

Until recently I skied a lot on a Rossi B2 (was that 78 underfoot?), with Fritschis. I never broke either the skis or bindings, though I used them for everything, including seasons of Fall Line backcountry reports. I always loved them and lots of guides I skied with regarded them as one of the best for the job, though I know people sneer about them cos they're not cool, or something. You'd struggle to find anything that narrow now, but I'd have another pair like a shot if I had space in the ski room. Regardless of how good a skier you are - and whether you really need a truly fat ski to get down deep pitches enjoyably - you've got to remember that anything beyond short day touring is so much more uphill than anything else that it must be weight and skin-width that you worry about first. Plus, even if you like doing big turns, if you've climbed all day for them and you hit powder, you might just want to get a few more turns out of the descent, in which case skinnier is good.

All that said, I reckon Coombas/Dynafit would be great as an all rounder.
ski holidays
Thanks everybody - very helpful
I remain tempted by the Coombas
snow report
Sport Conrad have some great deals on K2 touring set ups at the moment: http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?lang_id=ENG
snow report
Sansnom, If you are thinking of the Dynafit bindings then consider the Dynafit Stoke! Skiied it last year and it was great and light.

The coombas are awesome tho, but for 4 hour + tours I wouldn't use anything but Dynafit binding. I have some Duke's on my Scott Punishers and toured for 5 hours last year and I had to chill out for about an hour before I could even contemplate the ski back down!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy