Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lake District And The Pennine Resorts 2010/11

Poster: A snowHead
Could be an opporunity for someone local to Yad Moss or Weardale to offer a Skibus 'Shuttle' service between the local main road towns and the ski club car parks.

With both Yad Moss and Weardale Ski Clubs sporting Full Memberships coupled with the Snow conditions and popularity i believe there is a market for such a service.

This would ease congestion at the car parks (and in the ditches) during busy week ends .
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What's the weather doing up there folks?'just been from Manchester to bury to Blackburn and it's raining and 5c!!! I imagine it's only going to fall as snow up there?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hi guys roads are still looking pretty bad. Hartside is open but with the wind forecast tonight and tomorrow it will just get filled in again. Not sure what to do really. If i was to go up the A1 towards catterick which roads are open from that direction?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ricklovesthepowder, was good to speak to you yesterday! I'm not going to try for Sunday though. I have had a good look at the forecasts and it seems to be cold but not snowing half as much next week, so I'm going to leave it a few days and allow the roads to clear as my car is no more suited to driving up steeps on snow then yours rolling eyes as I found out last year. I'm flexible next week so crossing my fingers for a Wednesday or Thursday opening.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wigan, no probs. That snow wont go anywhere like you said. I have 1 day of holiday to take aswell so if we could arrange to book it off together we could maybe go one weekday? I will speak to milnerhome aswell to see if he can do the same thing.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think all possible variations on how to get people to the tows have been thought of by the different clubs over the years. Weardale a shuttle wouldnt get round the problem of not being able to pass or people not having chains and getting stuck. The road works well on days like today where everyone is going in one direction upto around 1pm and the other after that. I'm fairly certain one of the recent weardale news letters was talking about sorting the parking a bit more.

Yad Moss the problem isnt really the road - well it is but only if you're coming in from the East. Its nearly always passable from the Alston side to the tow, even if its not first thing. There is a suprisingly large amount of roadside parking at Yad Moss. From the entrance gate back down the road to Alston as far as the little bridge is level, covered with chippings and wide enough to get the car off the road. People just seem to run out of enthusiasm for digging about half way through. If everyone dug in a little more each time the car park would clear in a day or two. It also helps to knowing when to call a spade a spade and not a shovel. Shovel - good, spade - bad!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
oldagedpredator, what are the roads/conditions like up there today and tomorrow?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From the East - clean to the boundary then a mound of snow and then blocked to Yad Moss. Was blowing in a bit before the police closed signs in Harwood. Harwood ski tow ran today - 25people apparently.

http://harwoodski.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=10518387

Cover looks good, rope tow so old english skiing dont wear fancy, dangly or white!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok thanks for the info OAP will get to yours by about 8am if possible.

regards,
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hopefully making a trip to Yad Moss tomorrow if they open up, assuming roads are ok now from Leeds to there? Never been but route looks like A1 - A66 - B2677 through middleton past high force
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If anyone is looking for budget accommodation next to Pubs and Shops in WEARDALE then here's a link.

http://www.thisisdurham.com/site/accommodation/search-results/cromer-house-camping-barn-p285631
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There are a few more links from www.skiweardale.co.uk website. With conditions the way they are its worth a scan of all the club websites as theres a very very high chance of Weardale, Yad Moss or Harwood being open on any day. Today Yad was resting up but Weardale was open. If you havent got chains to tackle the weardale tow road then an appeal via facebook page is a good start.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
New Ticket Rules At Yad Moss

Just noticed this on:
www.yadmoss.co.uk

Day Tickets
. . . . . new system, take note!*

If you have been to Yad Moss lately you will know that we have become very popular, especially at weekends. This has resulted in long queues and, worse still, wasted journeys for people who sadly arrived too late to get a ticket. We want to do something about that.

We are going to start selling day tickets on line when we anticipate busy days. This is an extension of our successful Season Ticket purchase system. It will only be used at certain weekends and Bank Holidays. The number of ticket will be limited (initially to 100) and will be available from the time when the opening is confirmed on the Snow Report until they are all sold.

A Purchase button will appear on the Snow Report page and will take you to a secure transaction site.
The first time you buy on line you will be asked to provide your name and address etc. You will create a password which will enable you to avoid this step in future purchases or amend your details.

The payment will be made using a debit/credit card through a secure server.

You will receive an email with a unique registration number. You should print out the email ( or make a note of the number) this is your proof of purchase and will enable you to get a “sticker” from the ticket office.
We are also confident that this change will improve the experience of Yad Moss for all of us.

The prices will remain:

Weekends & Bank Holidays: Adult: £18, Junior (16 or under): £10

Weekday tickets will only be sold on the hill : Adult: £15, Junior (16 or under): £8

If you have any questions about this system please use the Contact Form on the right. Some FAQs are listed below.

Will this system operate every day?
No. When you check the snow report you will be told whether advance purchase will be necessary or not. We only expect to use it on weekends and Bank holidays when we expect to be busy.

Will I be able to get a refund if the tow doesn't run?
Yes. Your card will be credited soon after the closure.

Will I get a refund if I don't manage to get there?
No. So check your route before you buy.

Does this mean the queues will be shorter?
We are doing this to restrict the number of tickets sold?

Will I still be able to buy a ticket on the hill?
Not normally, but there may be exceptions made at the discretion of the Ticket Office.

How will this affect the reciprocal agreement with Weardale?
Weardale members will not need to book in advance. Present your membership card at the ticket office and pay £10.

*Does this affect Season Ticket holders?
Not at all. Season ticket holders are guaranteed turn up and ski anytime we are open.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great idea. Well done to the organisers.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great idea. Well done to the organisers.
latest report
report from yesterday here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1661627#1661627
snow conditions
A very good call cutting the numbers will hopefully see the back of a weekend av of 2 runs an hour with a 25min queue. Although its often quoted the poma does 600 people per hour thats 10 people a minute. One person every six seconds launched up the hill!!! Not allowing for falling and faff.
snow report
Can't see as that will be a problem this weekend seeing as much of the Snow at YAD MOSS and WEARDALE has gone with the Thaw. I wouldn't think there is any point of either of them running the tows 'till they get more snow.
snow report
cc_7up, has it really all gone Shocked i thought it would have stayed ok up there Sad
snow conditions
I doubt it has all gone, check the webcams in the morning, the Yad Moss one from lunchtime today had some brown patches, but if the drifts are still there and it gets colder I am assuming they can farm some snow....
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
I doubt it has all gone, check the webcams in the morning, the Yad Moss one from lunchtime today had some brown patches, but if the drifts are still there and it gets colder I am assuming they can farm some snow....

Weardale and Yad Moss Tows are not running this weekend.

http://www.skiweardale.com/ski/current.aspx

http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/snow-and-weather-report

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 11-12-10 11:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Jesus it's actually warm here in manchester, 10c at 7am in the car then.
ski holidays
At last. Everyone else has had snow except the five English ski clubs. Finally Yad Moss has just about scraped enough together to open tomoorrow. It'll be thin at the bottom but at least it will be skiing.

The irony is I head up to Edinburgh tomorrow for Christmas no doubt along the A1 which is loaded with snow rolling eyes
ski holidays
Weardale website also indicated last night that it was to open today - 23.12.10. Did anyone go? How were conditions?
ski holidays
Weardale wasnt up to much, apparently, or thats the way I read the facebook update. Tows not running on Christmas eve. If this is a proper 'old style' winter then the attempted return of milder air should drop lots of snow on the pennines but thats not the way people who really understand forecast models feel its going Sad
snow conditions
Well, after a bizarre snow-famine while the rest of the NW was knee-deep in the stuff Yad Moss looks like it will be open again tomorrow Happy I'm going to head up as I missed the early Dec days as was too busy, better grab this bit while it's still there!
ski holidays
Good news YM open tomorrow. Thin but skiable snowHead
20.15 5th January. It is intended to run the tow tomorrow, Thursday from around 10.30 a.m. There has been fresh snow this afternoon, the snow cover is thin in places but drifts have been pisted out to give reasonable conditions.

Advance day ticket purchase will not be required.

http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/snow-and-weather-report
ski holidays
I was up at Yad Moss today. I nearly turned around and went home at Penrith as it was 5'c and raining, with no sign of snow on the Howgills as I went up the M6, then there was not even that much on Hartside, and Alston was snow-free. Even half a mile from Yad Moss I was having doubts, however... the tow itself is well positioned and has caught what snow has passed by in the last few days.

Snow (and visibility) conditions were the worst I've had there (but I've only been 3 times) however I had more FUN snowHead than ever before. Snow is a mixture of ice, compacted snow, frozen bog and grass, but "powder gully" is living up to its name, and there are a few other nice lines. The only pisted skiing available was to ski down the up-track, but with only 2 or 3 people on its 600m length at any time that's not a problem. There were less than 20 people there, including volunteers, all day!

Big thanks to the volunteers who run it and who spent the hours bashing ice off the pylons so the tow could eventually get running.

They said they are hoping to open again tomorrow, so get up there while the queues aren't!
snowHead

Edit: Website now says not opening tomorrow as today's snowcover was thinner than expected. More snow forecast though so keep an eye out for Saturday.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thought you guys might be interested in "Another world" based over in halifax. Facebook page now available. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Another-World-Skiing-and-Snowboard-Centre/139343429452940
snow report
19.10 7th January. The tow will run saturday from 10 30am. Snow conditions will be variable. The bowl webcam shows a thin cover, the summit looks more promising. It should be worth a visit !

At last we've finally caught some more snow tonight. Will run tomorrow. It'll be thin but this weekend could be the last chance for a while since it gets very mild middle of next week for at least six days.

Will update with some pics. Anyone coming up ?
ski holidays
Quote:

Anyone coming up ?
Would have been there - but having to make do with Espace Killy instead Smile ....Fingers crossed for getting up there sometime after 16th January......
latest report
Would love to do two days out of three but have you seen the price of petrol lately? wink Enjoy!
latest report
Has anybody here ever skied at Harwood?
The tow is just a few miles down the road (south) from Yad Moss, I've driven past and seen the cars before, but I had thought it was a lesser slope/facilities etc than YM, and have never been. I got talking to a lady at YM on Thursday who often skis at Harwood and she sold it to me quite well... Apparently it's a rope tow, and the website says 500m, so that's a bit shorter than YM. Worth a visit some time? Does it catch snow when YM doesn't and vice versa? (Photos on their site of today seem to show a fair bit more than YM has.) http://harwoodski.webs.com/
snow report
Glad to see Harwood is still going. I learnt to ski there in 1979 when I was 4!!!!
Does not look like much has changed other than it looks like they are down to one tow. Must go and ski there again one day. Just a bit of a trek from Cornwall.
latest report
After the long drought in the Pennines and Lake District the snow has FINALLY arrived in sufficent quantities since early December to enjoy skiing again.

Report from Yad Moss with pics on Sunday
http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2503

and Raise where the westerly snow has really dumped a lot, particularly above the engine hut. a fitting day fro the club's 75th anniversary and Bernie Warriner, that keenest of English skiers 75th birthday. many happy returns.
http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2504

Unfortunately though the rain and mild temperatures are arriving and here south of the border we are going to see a persistant thaw this week Sad Hopefully it'll be a milder snap within an otherwise cold winter Puzzled
ski holidays
Hi wigan

Quote:

Does it catch snow when YM doesn't and vice versa? (Photos on their site of today seem to show a fair bit more than YM has.)

Yes it can do. Its more or less the same height but faces south so as the pics show it can pick up snow well from a westerly. yad Moss suits snow from the north east through to the south/south west.
This is one of the advantages of having five seperate areas to ski. One or other will usually hold whatever snow we do get, but we do need some in the first place snowHead
snow conditions
It was blowing straight across the slope at Harwood, the fences there were in just the right direction for a huge build up. Its also got a massive fetch to the tow from the west - 13km of 600m ish and above. Very simillar cover showing on the website pics to early season last year. Shame temperatures are really on the way up as it would easily have seen off a minor mild bump but not so sure about the current forecasted rises.

One small section of fence at Yad Moss must be on broadly the same alignment as the build up was huge behind it. The wall backs on Yad Moss also had good build ups.
snow report
Bad news from Raise. The gearbox has seized up and will need to be lowered and flown out by helicopter for repair.
See http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/
snow report
Yikes, that does not sound like a 5 minute job, nor does it sound cheap.
ski holidays
English skiing isn't always about bouncing down through wind packed powder under cobalt skies with a carefree smile..... snowHead

Sometimes things are a bit more fundamental .......

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2522

....Hope they get some better luck and its fixable. Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy