Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lake District And The Pennine Resorts 2010/11

Poster: A snowHead
So, another winter season is upon us, and with the cold weather today it felt like it was already here. This morning at 7am it was 3c in Manchester, pretty cold as its only September. Lets hope that this year will be as good as the last one in Northern England. Below are some usefull links that will keep us all up to date with the current conditions of the weather, the resorts and the roads. Have a good season everyone!

The Resorts

http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/

http://www.skiweardale.com/

http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/

The Weather

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/nw_forecast_warnings.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/325

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/default.aspx

http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/scotland

The Roads

http://www.trafficengland.com/map.aspx?long0=-255.5421367449095&lat0=3358.5788365561893&long1=-17.062136744909367&lat1=3259.4562941833083

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/local/cumbria.shtml
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'd be missing:

http://harwoodski.webs.com/ - traditional pennine skiing with a 400m (ish) rope tow. Top end of Teesdale, good if the road is blocked at the county boundary. Which hopefully it will be a few times Very Happy

http://www.ski-allenheads.co.uk/ - short tows and 5 mins from the pub / cafe. Note the comment about membership limits / field limits on the website.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What do you mean grear if the road is blocked? how do you get there in this case?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OAP means if the B6277 is blocked at the watershed between Teesdale and Tynedale then access may still be possible to Harwood from the Teesdale side.

Anyone seen the history of Yad Moss page yet ? Makes interesting reading if you are into 'English skiing archaeology'. Note however that Weardale was the first established site in the Pennines in 1963 presumeably followed by Allendale, Teesdale and Harwood. Yadmoss was a late starter snowHead The very first permanent ski tow in England was probably the rope tow on Raise in the Lake District in 1953.

http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/history
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's brilliant Peter S, thanks for that. Is there any plans in the future to upgrade the poma to something a little less tempremental?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No Plans to upgrade the Poma but it is getting more and more reliable as its 'restoration' continues. Three of the big sheave wheels from Pylon 1, 2 and 7 have been shotblasted and restored this summer and the motor has been taken down and serviced. the rope was replaced last year and most of the pylon fenders have also been repaired or replaced. We now have an adequate supply of reconditioned Pomas. We have also regraded the approach ramp to make getting on easier, particularly for snowbaorders. The top two sections of signal line have been undergrounded so they should be less prone to icing. All this should help make the system slightly more reliable but if you're thinking detachable chairlift.......then no. snowHead

Hopefully the new Leitner piste basher will be arriving before the start of the season and this should be better for piste prepartaion than the Kassboher, assuming we get enough snow to push about. In theory the Leitner could probably tow most of the queue in the event of a tow breakdown although we would need to manufacture a suitable tow rope Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank god that ramp has been sorted out, i struggle on skis let alone the tea tray surfers!!! it sounds like thanks to the amazing season last year you have been able to do lots of stuff up there. Shame i couldnt make it up to help i was really busy over the summer. In the event of a breakdown the idea of towing people up the hill using a piste basher is brilliant, im sure the pathetic health and safety guru for the local area wouldnt be to happy though!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If the road is blocked it means there's a lot of snow, until this winter gone it hasnt really been closed since the early / mid 90's and then nothing like the frequency of the 80's when several weeks at a time were quite possible. Anoyingly quite a lot of last seasons closures were due to Cumbria council not clearing the road past Yad Moss to the county boundary. On the Durham side they clear upto the boundary, so it is possible to get to Harwood.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OAP, its not too far to walk from the boundary but it does rather depend on digging off the road and then hoping that it doesn't blow in beind you !

I have found that on less extreme days they will eventually plough up from the Cumbrian side later in the day, but i agree there is little point in having a road pass only open to one side of its summit! They have at least got better as they realise that people now want to get up theer in the snow and actually last years effort was pretty impressive I thought, considering the depth of snow around.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A few shots from last winter.

Just to ilustrate the decision to walk in shouldnt be taken lightly but also look at the snow depth. Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weardale membership now full. Must be the first time this has happened at the start of the season for 20 years. Looks like its Harwood and Yad Moss for the day trippers in the Pennines.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I cant wait for this season, hope there is lots of snow!!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
I cant wait for this season, hope there is lots of snow!!!

doesn't everyone.. wink Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The tow was tested on Saturday and is now already to run. As reported above, a lot of work has been done this summer though much of it will not be apparent to the casual observer, including cleaning out the composting toilet Shocked

We found a volunteer for that one.

The Kassbohrer PB 200 has now gone to Weardale where no doubt it will greatly improve the skiing surface there as it did for 9 yrs at Yad Moss. We have however now replaced it with a new (to us) Leitner LH500, the first one in the UK. The Leitner is a lot more powerful than the old PB and should be more than up to the job of making the most out of whatever snow we do get this year.

As we left on Saturday night it was snowing hard but not sticking. There is currently a weather warning out tonight for heavy snow over the Pennines tomorrow although I doubt there’ll be enough just yet. Here’s hoping anyway for a season that is a fraction as good as last year.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter S wrote:
a lot of work has been done this summer though much of it will not be apparent to the casual observer, including cleaning out the composting toilet Shocked
We found a volunteer for that one.

Brave man! And it will be apparent to the nose at least Happy
I was up in the Lakes this weekend and saw some tantalising white tips this morning but I thought it was only frost, glad you saw some snow fall though!
My season ticket has pride of place on my desk, ready for action (well it'll be the only ski season ticket I can ever afford, so I may as well Razz )
ski holidays
Looks Like raise get the honour of the first skiing off the season
[www.winterhighland.info]
ski holidays
wow

fantastic

the sky looked superb
ski holidays
Peter S, Hey - we think we might have spotted someone on Saturday - I guess it might have been you then!. The DH was very keen to have a reccy of the Yadd Moss lifts etc, so we had a drive up. What a lovely day it was too, and we were excited to see the snow on Great Dun Fell. Had a picnic in the car park. However, when DH saw the slope from the road to the lifts he got a bit ...er...precious about it. Laughing Will there be a special service for middle-aged men who moan about walking in ski boots?

We also had a great conversation around buying some second hand skis, so that was nice. [Not that we have first hand ones...]. It could be the season for our first ski in England [well mine anyway].
latest report
Quote:
We have however now replaced it with a new (to us) Leitner LH500

So cool Cool
snow report
Raise has claimed first uplift of 2010/11 for the UK:

http://youtube.com/v/WVUQv_tsSFg
latest report
LOL, hoots mon ye beat us! Wink

Nice one! snowHead
snow report
Ah my video is getting around a bit....... Great day on great snow for so early in the season. Also think Raise may be able to claim the first non glacial tow assisted skiing in Europe this year, nice.....
ski holidays
Welcome Gordie!

I love your videos.
snow report
Heading back up to the lakes for christmas......may have to bring my skis and check out the slopes. Happy
snow conditions
http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2344
There was skiing on Raise yesterday, though a tad thin away from the main drifts snowHead

Insufficent cover for skiing in the Pennines .....but The forecast is a peach with north easterly winds and the possibility of significant accumulations, as long as the showers push far enough inland.

There is a possibility of skiing at Yad Moss by Sunday though it looks windy and extremely cold. It then stays colder than average, out as far as 22nd December.

Standby rolling eyes
ski holidays
Peter S, does Yad Moss open weekdays, people to run the lift permitting!! I now have a season pass, AWD car with snow tyres and chains, so ready to go!!!
snow report
kitenski, when are heading up? I have 1 day of holiday to take and I will hopefully be using it for a Yad mass day. Fancy going up together and sharing petrol money etc?
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, depends when it's open vs any job appointments I have, but yes in theory!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Might be a good time to establish Car Pools for Snowheads who want to share the Petrol costs, Picking up and dropping off en route to and from the Pennine Ski Club 'Resorts'.(More snow shovellers and car pushers to help out if you get stuck)

Do you think this is perhaps best organised on the respective Club websites or centrally here on SnowHeads via a 'Pennine Car pool' thread (if the Mods are happy to go with it)?

Y'never know, It might even institute another Snowhead 'Bash' in the Pennines .

snowHead

Posted this in 'Solo Skiers v Groups - Organising Trips '

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 26-11-10 17:38; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
There is me and 2-3 others that mentioned we would share driving from Manchester earlier this year. Immmore than happy to pick people up en route to save on parking spaces and a share of fuel money etc.
ski holidays
My Route is from Loughborough, M1 ( J23 ) > A1 > A68> A689 and back again.
snow conditions
Latest update on Yad Moss website:

Snow Report

. . . is it worth a trip?

08:00 Sat 27th Nov. The latest webcam pictures show a further cover of snow from overnight showers. We intend to open today from around 11o'clock for any of you who want an early season slide. Conditions are likely to be thin with grass showing through. The weather forecast indicates the possibility of further snow over the coming days which will hopefully improve conditions.

Might have to change my plans this morning Cool
snow report
http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/snow-and-weather-report

Looks like people are skiing and some pisting has been done. Still thin conditions but given the cold it will be powdery and the grass will be well frozen. Tomorrow mornings heavy showers should top things up nicely although there is disagreement about the windspeed with MWIS going for whiteouts and the BBC light winds Puzzled I'll go with heavy shwers and light winds Laughing

It will definatly be cold with predicted temps in Penrith down to -10C tomorrow morning !

Next week snow cover at YM should gradually improve as strengthening easterly winds blow snow into the runs on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday snowHead Meanwhile the existing 10 inches plus of snow in the North York Moors and Cheviots will be whipped into huge drifts !

Hope to be at YM first doors Sunday, but will check the website tonight for intended operation.

PS. don't forgey your shovel and headtorch. Its pitch black by 4:30pm.
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, yes, I'm still up for sharing a lift.

I walked up to Raise yesterday as had never been there before (only to Yad Moss). The tow was running and a few were out on skis and board. Thin cover in places but apparently 6th day this season. Very Happy
snow conditions
Might seem a silly question, but what's the usual preferred way up to Raise? Park up nr Helvellyn YHA, then trek up Greenside mine? Or is there a better way?
Was fun MTBing up there in august, even though it was blowing a hooley.
latest report
Reports today from Weardale, Yad Moss and the Lake District via Gordie:

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,128269
snow report
Andy,

Details of route up to Raise here;
http://www.ldscsnowski.co.uk/page17.html
latest report
andy, yes, that's the route we took. Nice walk in. Will be a bit of a slog with skis (we were just out walking yesterday) but would be worth it.
ski holidays
Peter S, wigan, thanks. Was mountain-biking up that way in august, and saw the drags. And yes that was a bit of a slog with bikes (but a jolly good walk). Would be fun to get some slides in though, in the unlikely event that I'm over that way in winter.
snow report
All looking very Pennine, it feels a bit early 90s at the moment. Lots of snow but not in the right place. Doing exactly what the long winter forecast said it would. North Pennines are long over due for a big snow fall - days and feet rather than hours and inches.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy