Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Small French Resorts 2010-2011

Poster: A snowHead
A thread for those out of the way places hardly anyone ever goes to (follow-up to this thread last season: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=58388 )

Pipay (les 7 Laux) today at 1650 meters

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A fine looking heifer.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cows are cool.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wonder if les 7 Laux will be the first / earliest French non glacial resort to open again Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Davidof, any particular spots on the hitlist this year? I can recommend Col D'Ornon if you havn't been. Seems to be empty on when it does open.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only 3 slopes there as I recall ??? But a nice little locals station. Alpes Grandes Serres always worth a visit too -
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfing wrote:
I wonder if les 7 Laux will be the first / earliest French non glacial resort to open again Very Happy

There was snow down to 1300 m today, but not that much. Forecast is for a dry, cold winter Sad, that could favour the South/Montgenevre or even Scotland.

Erm where are we heading this season? Notre dame de Vaulx and Rencurel are on the hit list if there is snow in the Isere.

The Col d'Ornon is looking uncertain, the local council plans to close it and remove the lifts.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Here is a quick look across to the 7 laux this afternoon from the "webcam"

http://youtube.com/v/3NlGk8PzPG8

probably about 10cm of snow on the ground. I guess much will melt before the season starts.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
Here is a quick look across to the 7 laux this afternoon from the "webcam"

http://youtube.com/v/3NlGk8PzPG8

probably about 10cm of snow on the ground. I guess much will melt before the season starts.

Have we just found out about a secret life you're having there......I'm sure that link has nothing to do with a webcam...... Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
here this is better

http://youtube.com/v/fXFw-tTIvyo

and the same date last year during the snow canon tests

http://youtube.com/v/4Luux1F7rv4

just as a comparison (the video is a bit fuzzy for the first 5 seconds)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
there has been snow at Montgenevre this week and this morning on the town centre webcam the first snow make up the main resort piste could be seen being tested, later shots show its effect on the hill side
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
View from the office window this morning

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, nice Cool
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For anyone in Grenoble, the 7 laux will open tomorrow (beating The Lecht yet again, sorry guys Happy
snow report
davidof, are you popping up for a ski?
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
davidof, are you popping up for a ski?

No I've got meetings tomorrow.
snow conditions
hi davidoff - wish i was there! back in the Uk for now Sad Will be following this wonderful thread throughout the coming season: and will certainly be back in the area again as soon as possible. We never did make it out for that beer!
snow conditions
Didn't go up to the 7 Laux today but here's a photo taken from across the valley.

resort open again tomorrow but rain forecast to 3000 meters on Saturday.
ski holidays
How lovely!
latest report
Dumping it down in Puy St Vincent(near Serre Chevalier)at the moment. Snowline above 1600m but at least 20/30 cms.
The southern French Alps looks like it's putting down a good base which bodes well. Very Happy
snow conditions
If it is going to be a cold dry winter in the North my money is on the Southern Alps, again, esp. the PSV/Montgenevre/Serre-Che snow triangle.

Snow level is around 2300-2500 meters around Grenoble at the moment Sad. Will drop to 1500m tomorrow.
latest report
After last weekend's foehn which stripped all the snow below 1800 m (N) and 2300 m (S) it snowed again on Monday to repeat the cycle.

This may finally be the true start of winter, certainly the pisteurs at Allevard thought so and were busy preparing the pistes for opening

Photo copyright Xavier Dorel

Slightly less preparation at les 7 Laux, we may head up there Saturday, depending on opening

Photo copyright Delphine Forcade

ah these French teachers with their Wednesday's off.
snow report
Not looking bad on the Olympic Black at Chamrousse

Photo copyright Franck
ski holidays
davidof,
Quote:

Allevard
Gosh, is that a ski resort? My mother's family hid there during the War.
snow conditions
Nice place to hide. The ski club dates from the early 1900s, the lifts from the 1950s. Here is some video if the "wee mite" skiing at the end of march last season.

http://youtube.com/v/GS5YctVmlxI
latest report
Any news on villard?
snow conditions
davidof, lovely (and the wee mite too!)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
great idea this thread Happy obviously we don't want to make too much noise about the less well known ones though or some of those paying through the nose for mainstream resorts might cotton onto the lack of inflated pricing, small queues and good snow lol
snow report
skinutter, Very Happy wink
ski holidays
Looking promising in La Norma http://www.viewsurf.com/vue-224-La_Norma_-_La_Norma_2000_Metres.html Toofy Grin Very Happy snowHead Toofy Grin Very Happy snowHead
snow report
After some fairly serious dumpage this week a number of resorts are opening on Saturday. First of all les 7 Laux has been open for some time but is opening parts of all three sectors. There is around a 60cm of snow at the top of the resort and 40cm at the base of the pistes.

This photo is from yesterday looking over at the Bedina bowl and the Jas de Lievres summit

There has been another 30cm since then.

Today I was up at St Hilaire du Touvet leaving a few tracks in the 30cm of pow, the piste patrol took great delight in rapidly bashing these down to nice uniform corduroy

The resort opens tomorrow, almost unprecedented.

Le Collet d'allevard also opens partially tomorrow. You can see the piste preparation in one of the photos above.

It is quite cold at the moment, the powder is light and fluffy, conditions are like February. Take care off piste, there are still some rocks not far from the surface and avalanche risk at altitude with some windslab forming over the last couple of days above 2000m. There were strong winds at the start of the recent snow cycle.
ski holidays
In the Massif Central La loge des Gardes (the guard house?) is opening tomorrow. I believe that this is the closest ski resort to Paris.

Also open is Aillons-Margériaz in the Bauges (another regular early opener as is Montgenevre in the Hautes-Alpes with 1 meter at the top of the slopes).

Auron and Isola 2000 are also open.

In the Pyrenees you can ski at Barèges / La Mongie, Cauterets, La Pierre St Martin, Les Angles, Luz Ardiden, Piau Engaly and Porté Puymorens.

Grand Bo. in the HS is also open as is la Clusaz.

That's it for the small resorts.

Enjoy while you can, torrential rain forecast to 2300m on Tuesday.
snow report
Hi davidof, Just picked up on this thread. my pops has a chalet out there so i go out to les 7 laux quite a lot, with all the snow around its a shame i have to wait another 3 weeks to get out there!
snow report
davidof, who's forecasting that? Seeing snow everywhere at the moment.
snow conditions
Meteo France is forecast a lot of warm air and rain coming up from the med on Tuesday. We'll have to see what the snowline is but the local resorts say that some high level rain is a good thing for them to form a base for the rest of the season so do not despair.
ski holidays
Le "tot" on the pistes of St Hills yesterday morning

latest report
A report from Claire Chazal about Montgenevre

http://videos.tf1.fr/jt-we/a-montgenevre-deja-un-metre-de-neige-et-des-skieurs-ravis-6166216.html
snow conditions
Yesterday headed up to the Col de Porte with Anny for an afternoon under the sun. We toured to the summit of Chamchaude

Still a few rocks near the ridge - the wind had worked the snow and there was only just enough fresh at that altitude to hide but not cover the rocks. A few meters lower down and we found some great snow condtions.

The Col de Porte is not yet open for the winter and there is no information on the website. Wait and see. It is a good little ski area and the rumour was that the chair lift which accesses "secret powder bowl" would reopen this year. However there have been a lot of legal disputes as part of the ski area lies in a neighbouring communes land and they want to take over the area.
snow conditions
Lovely. I really want to explore more of these this season
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy