Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Small Isere Resorts 2009-10

Poster: A snowHead
ok this is from around Chamrousse afternoon of the 11/Dec/2009

Casserouse (Olympic Slalom piste is closed) 1400 - 1650 meters: Very poor condition. This is a shaded slope.

Largely skiable from 1650 - 2000m but some zones have been stripped bare by the high winds.

2000m +: good snow but bare areas close to summits and ridgelines. Lots of wind transport in evidence.

There was some powder in wind sheltered areas from 2400 -> 2100. Snow very hard otherwise. Powder from 2000 -> 1800. 1800-> 1650 soft snow. Lower down. Sucky.

The snow is very hard, there is only around 30cm at 2000m but it is like ice and would be a great base if it ever snows again Otherwise the numerous rocks are easy to ski around.

If you like mid-winter skiing you will enjoy things but best conditions on upper slopes.

Chamrousse Sunset

Getting dark, the Casserouse is the large gorge center right by the 2nd pylon of the chair lift

Casserousse Olympic Black with Didcot's twin town down the valley

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 1-02-10 9:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Increased wind seems to plague the Alps more and more. A case for more snow fencing ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm going to Chamrousse in Feb, hopefully it will improve bu then. keep us updated with teh conditions Confused
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Libertine wrote:
I'm going to Chamrousse in Feb, hopefully it will improve bu then. keep us updated with teh conditions Confused
I'm on a family trip last week in March and glad of updates too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There was a big ski testing weekend in Chamrousse this weekend (adverts all over town) which, after the organisers looked at the state of the snow, was cancelled. A real shame for anyone going. However it is -6C in resort now and snowing, I'm expecting 10-20cm which will be good news.

Snow fencing, yes a good idea. They have it a lot in the Massif Central but something to think more about elsewhere.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Friday to Saturday we had around 50cm of fresh snow at 2000m but it was very light, around 100g/M3. Saturday was freezing so didn't take many photos as I didn't want to get my camera out. We were skiing Les Sept Laux backcountry.

I've rarely skied snow as light but the downside is you need a big fat freeride ski and there is little base in places which means all the rocks, treestumps, dead skiers etc are covered. One guy I chatted to had taken out an edge and was very unhappy.

Today we were in St Hilaire du Touvet, the closest ski area to our house. The resort was closed yesterday due to mechanical problems with the ski lifts. The runs go from around 1000->1400 meters. There was about 20cm of snow on zero base on the N/W facing slopes. There was some new snow falling as we left.

Check out the http://www.grangeauxloups.fr/ Restaurant in St Hilaire.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 6-02-10 11:15; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, Good idea this thread - it's nice to hear about the smaller places. thanks. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well as expected the torrential rain has washed out St Hilaire du Touvet and the Col de Marcieu. The pistes were green this morning so it was off to the Collet d'Allevard which has bottom pistes at 1450 m and a top car park at 1650m. A quick look out of the window confirmed that it has snowed a bit from 1750m last night.

Allevard also seemed to be having mechanical problems with ski lifts so Junior and I ended up skiing the upper slopes on the 600m long lac drag. The snow was rock hard, it seems to have been rained on then refrozen. A good base and ok to ski but not a surface to fall on. Junior found it a bit quick and gave up turning, instead schussing from top to bottom until I warned him that he was not able to control his speed properly and risked a crash.

I explored higher up. A bit windy but warm with some spots of rain at 2000m. I didn't go off piste as the surface was 1cm of refrozen rain crust. Skiing on piste there was soft, fresh snow above the 1750m mark and good skiing but you had to take care lower down. I came over one rollover only to find a stretch of dirt and rocks. Shock

Waiting to see what Christmas Eve brings. Meteo France is saying rain to 2400 meters, which will not be great.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, .. Great Thread and great photos ... Very Happy

'Positive Waves' Toofy Grin will make that nasty rain go away ...

Hope you have a brilliant season.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've just been told that the rain crust was load bearing and could be skied on without any problem... so that's something positive.

As Rob or someone says on the Weather Outlook thread, if the rain only lasts half an hour before turning to snow it will not be too bad. I think we are going to end up with a snowpack like in 2007/8 where it was very stable below 2200 and unstable above - we had a case of risk 2 below 2200m all winter and risk 4 above. In a few meters you went from a relatively sound snowpack to something potentially deadly and indeed all the fatal accidents were above this altitude. We'll see.

Hope you are all well in the North, when are you coming over this year?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Given the lack of snow below 1600m we headed for Chamrousse today (bottom pistes at 1650m). We were somewhat reluctant as it is the start of the big holiday week. No snow on the roads until the resort which was pandemonium. The best was a new bronze VW 4x4 (is it some sort of Cayenne thingy?) that was sitting in front of me with all four wheels spinning wildly pointing downhill (how do you manage that?) until he suddenly found some traction and swerved off into a stone wall. Pratt.

It must have been Chav week in resort judging by the people in and around the place. Walking around town in jogging pants with a hole in the butt and yer kecks showing is not a fashion statement.

Snow cover was pretty good. The new gondola has been operating since the start of the season and is easing queues at the Recoin end. Junior wanted to ski through the woods to look for bears, he claimed he'd seen prints from the Bachat Boulod chair, and there was around 5-10cm of light snow on a hard base. Pistes were very hard with fresh snow where we skied. There were no visible bare patches which is an improvement but a few rocks rolling around the place. I picked a few up and lobbed them off piste.

Lots of idiots who could do with taking lessons and very very busy with people skiing far too fast in beginners areas. We really do need US style piste patrols for these out of control idiots. Will post a few photos later.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:
... around 50cm of fresh snow at 2000m but it was very light, around 100g/M3 ...

Now that's what I call a properly detailed snow report! Top marks Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A couple of pics

Here the pistes in the Roche Be. at 1900m look fine

The Recoin seems more windswept

Snow canons were operating in some parts of resort. There is maybe 25cm of snow at the bottom of pistes (the resort is claiming 40cm which is not the case where I checkec) but the snow is very hard after a number of snow->rain->refreeze cycles so is quite skiable.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BTW no reports from the Chartreuse for the time being, all the resorts have been washed out by recent rain. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Off piste above l'alpe du Grande Serre, Sunday

Chamrousse

snow report
davidof, Looks great at AGS - I must get back there again with some stronger skiers this year. Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
davidof, Looks great at AGS - I must get back there again with some stronger skiers this year. Very Happy

My group were pensioners! Of course in France that can mean people from my age upwards.
ski holidays
Rather than start a new thread, I hoped some of the locals on this thread might be able to advise me.

I'm already booked in Chamrousse for the first week of the Easter break (Mar 27th - Apr 4th)

Now the group might be expanding to include a wheelchair using experienced skier.

How wheelchair friendly is Chamrousse?

I can see that much of the area is accessible via drag lifts, which is what I've been asked to check on, and they would be driving around the resort to specific lift points.

Does anyone have personal or 2nd hand experience which might help our decision?
latest report
Just back from Chamrousse. Chaos on the roads due to snow from 1100m on the return the snow level was maybe just a little lower... say 1000-1050m. About 10cm of fresh on a base that is partially refrozen. There is about 10-15cm of snow at 1500m. We were going to the cross country ski area not resort level so assume things were even better higher up. Chamrousse has had most of the resort open during the recent warm, rainy spell but will be pleased with this fresh snow as it was starting to get a bit thin lower down. Heavy snow when we left. I'm expecting 25cm.
snow report
Quote:

I'm expecting 25cm.

snowHead Sounds good.
ski holidays
We decided to head up to the Collet d'Allevard today given the forecast of sunshine this afternoon. Apparently it had been utter chaos this morning, a crash on the way down had blocked the road until 11am and most holiday makers had been trapped in resort. They were still there when we arrived and the resort was chaos. Two restaurants hadn't bothered opening and the others were packed.

Junior and I decided to ski, the sun didn't arrive until 16h30! but there was about 10-15cm of fresh snow at 1450m, maybe 20cm at 1750m which is as high as we skied in the biting cold. Teh missus finally found a spot in Le Timon, not the nicest looking pizzeria from the outside but good food and not to expensive, we came out with 27 euros for 3 pax wiine included.

We skied pretty much on piste where the slopes are globally in good. Off piste things have improved but there is still not much depth.
ski holidays
JimG2009 wrote:
Rather than start a new thread, I hoped some of the locals on this thread might be able to advise me.

I'm already booked in Chamrousse for the first week of the Easter break (Mar 27th - Apr 4th)

Now the group might be expanding to include a wheelchair using experienced skier.

How wheelchair friendly is Chamrousse?

I can see that much of the area is accessible via drag lifts, which is what I've been asked to check on, and they would be driving around the resort to specific lift points.

Does anyone have personal or 2nd hand experience which might help our decision?

Hard to judge if you are not wheelchair bound yourself.

There is a new gondola lift to the summit of the slopes and it would be worth asking if you can take a wheelchair user on this. How is the wheelchair user skiing? In a handisport rig? Normally resorts are getting a bit more geared up for wheelchair users. If you can send me a specific list of questions of what you want to do I will check with the tourist office next week.

This photo is a severely handicapped wheelchair user skiing at Chamrousse

so I imagine the resort is used to this kind of activity but I would still try and get things organised with the resort in advance.

The Roche Beranger does not have any stairs so wheelchair users can get around and it has an inside shopping area (a bit like a small version of Portsmouth's much loved!!! Tricorn center) but still. You can park outside this center. The Recoin also is pretty flat and you can park where the restaurants are. Same for the Bachat Boulod. I assume by easter there will not be much snow in resort.

Apart from the Gondola there are some chair lifts in the Beranger and Recoin area, the drag lifts are more used for beginners and links down at the front neige level.

Hope this helps a bit.
ski holidays
Davidof,

Many thanks for that.

I've passed on a message to my brother-in-law and will get back to you.

Failing that I will contact the tourist office myself, but these things always seem to work better with someone on site.

Hope I get the chance to buy you a few beers as a thank you.
snow report
This is from the Dauphine

http://www.ledauphine.com/accident-l-incroyable-mesaventure-d-un-livreur-savoyard-hier-matin-sur-la-route-gelee-du-collet-il-s-arr-te-pour-cha-ner-son-camion-glisse-dans-le-ravin--@/index.jspz?article=243337&chaine=25

Quote:

A deliveryman Savoyard may recall for a long time January 2, 2010: While he was busy chain the wheel of his truck on the road to the collet d'Allevard, the vehicle suddenly slipped and plunged into the ravine . The father of the driver who accompanied him on his tour just had time to jump from the cab not to take the plunge too!

The accident occurred at 5 o'clock on the RD 109 after the driver of the company Snta Chambery had to stop the snow fell yesterday and the cold polar night had turned the road into a real ice rink .

To continue progress towards the station, the driver decided to stop his machine. He jumped from the cab and prepared to install chains on the front wheels when the truck began to slide backwards ...

The passenger, apparently remained there in the cockpit, felt that the truck more than adhering to the road: it ran out, time to see the vehicle leave the icy roads and switch side into the ravine, where some trees have blocked the vehicle a few feet below.

The road to the Collet rather busy at the end of holidays and the beginning of the weekend, had to be completely blocked to traffic between 9 hours and 11 hours.

A private company equipped with lifting gear has been in effect sought to lift the truck back on the road and make his escape.

Moreover, the very cold temperatures this early in the day on Saturday made it very uncertain viability of access roads to stations.

Yesterday morning it was totally impossible to get Chamrousse, les Sept Laux, Huez or _ for example _ without special equipment.
snow report
Skiing a bit of les Sept Laux backcountry today. Snow is not great below 1600m however things seems fairly stable to 2300m where I stopped. Beware that it has been quite windy from the S/W and this had cross loaded south facing slopes and loaded north facing slopes, at the same time it has left some areas icy.

I only skied about 500m of piste down to resort. The piste preparation and snow canons are doing their job. Avoid closed pistes lower down, they are closed for a reason - you'll wreck your skis.
latest report
I must admit I was a little demotivated this weekend. A return to work for Monday didn't help my mood but in the end we headed up to St Hilaire du Touvet the nearest resort to the house. The weather below 1600-1800 m could best be described as "foggy" around these parts and so it was to be. Junior and I hit the slopes. There was not much more snow than when we were last year before Christmas and it was not too cold. In a reverse to Ski Club advice the slopes were actually better lower down. Higher up the pistes had some bare patches and a lot of stones - this must be due to the steepness with stones naturally rolling onto the slope. Or is it the Marmottes that put them there overnight? I've never quite worked out where all these stones come from when the ground has 30cm of hard snow? Maybe piste bashers digging them up?

The runs were not heavily groomed and the skiing was very good. All the local resorts have now opened so we hope to strike out further afield.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 1-02-10 9:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
davidof, Keep up the good work with this thread. I'm finding it very interesting. BTW my friends who came to AGS last year found it very tiring on the pomas, so we didn't do much more than check out the area. (They aren't very fast either, but are very good company). I would deffo like to go back + still trying to get to Resort X and Les 7 Laux!!
latest report
easiski wrote:
I would deffo like to go back + still trying to get to Resort X and Les 7 Laux!!

Let me know if you get any time off and come down this way.

Today we went up to the Col de Porte, some 20 minutes from Grenoble City. This is a very historic ski area as the first drag lift in France (and one of the first in the world) was built on the prairie where we were skiing today by the carpenter Rossat in 1934.

the scene looks much the same today and the descendents of the original developers of the ski area are still involved in the resort.

Snow was very good on piste but the off piste has a slight crust, even in the forest. We were told by ski tourers that the south facing slopes have a crust at all levels due to the strong south wind. We are expecting snow at 1000m but junior is too tired to go out again and just wants to watch tv! The chair lift still isn't operational but the long chamchaude drag is operating, the first time I've seen it running since 2002! They've built a new hut for the perchman - the lift is diesel powered which is fairly unusual.

The area used to have night skiing on wednesdays and a very popular snowpark but after a bitter legal battle, still not over, with arch rivals at St Pierre they are restarting the area slowly.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 1-02-10 9:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was also up at the Col de Porte yesterday (Sunday), but sledging en famille rather than skiing. My daugher is only just over 2 1/2, hence the sledging (which mum and dad enjoyed immensely too!), but she was taking great interest in the small teleski and the little ones skiing. Unfortunately we forget to take her plastic skis - next weekend. We had a nice lunch in Les 3 Sommets too.

We were also up at Correncon in the Vercors on Saturday. Again not skiing, but walking and sledging in the Ski Nordique / Golf area. There is stacks of snow there now and the alpine skiing area looks to be in pretty good shape. What a difference from Christmas. All this new snow has been good for the small Isere resorts.

RE the off-piste crust; I was in AdH on Friday; condistions were incredible, though we also encountered crust when skiing off-piste down to the Col de Cluy.
ski holidays
Hey Dave, good to hear from you. Please don't hestitate to update us on any of the resorts you visit.
latest report
davidof, Do these places have websites? How about directions? A map perhaps? That would be soooooooo cool. Very Happy
snow report
easiski wrote:
davidof, Do these places have websites? How about directions? A map perhaps? That would be soooooooo cool. Very Happy

Here is a map showing the Chartreuse resorts:-

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Ski-Areas/Chartreuse

not all the names are clickable, I will update it sometime.

The best resort in the Chartreuse is St Pierre which is a nice village but the other resorts are interesting too. A lot of them are too small to have websites but I will update with more information.

Again a clickable map of the Belledonne, which despite being a major mountain range rising to nearly 3000 meters is relatively underdeveloped compared to the Chartreuse

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Ski-Areas/Belledonne
snow report
Hi David. Hopefully there will be a few update over the next few months - a lot depends on the weather when we have la petite in tow. We're desserting the Isere this weekend for a small Savoie resort - Aussois.

I managed a lot of skiing in the Chartreuse, Vercors, and Belledonne last year while on Chomage Partiel. The smallest I skied at was Col de L'Arzellier in the Vercors - one old slow chairlift and a 2 (or 3 on a good day) drag lifts. Very good with kids though with a couple of restos / snack bars and a great salle hors sack.
snow report
I've got some film from l'Arzeillier which I will put up. I've skied some of the couloirs you see along the cliff face there. They are quite steep. The Peyrouse is quite an esthetique couloir just along from l'Arzeillier.

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Isere-Drome/La-Peyrouse-Couloir
ski holidays
davidof, Thanks Very Happy
snow conditions
Friday we were back in Chamrousse exploring some routes we've had our eyes on for some time. Here's Luc in one of the interesting couloirs

and looking up at the bottom of the couloir from the valley

of course what comes down must go up again, we had 450 meters of climbing up to this col, on skins at first but the last 100 meters on foot in some very slabby snow

More images here: http://picasaweb.google.com/david.george/Ski20092010#5430038899359917778

As you drive out of Grenboble to les Deux Alpes these slopes are on your left by the war memorial bridge just after Gavet.

Snow was excellent on east slopes, wind affected on west slopes with a crust or some windslab.

After returning home to pick up junior and the missus it was off to Meaudre in the Vercors: http://www.meaudre.com/

we were staying in the excellent but basic Sabot de Venus hotel:

http://www.sabotdevenus.com/en/index.php

we were in Meaudre to see the national dog sledge championships (the French iditarod). Part of the course actually ran throught the town, in and out of the houses. We then skied having lunch at the Ancolie right on the pistes. Excellent if busy restaurant (and it is January). Snow cover was very good but quite hard in the morning and the slopes are shaded in the afternoon. Junior enjoyed a final run of 600m vertical from the summit of the slopes to the bottom, without stopping. Amazing what these kids can do. But he was like Bambi at the end. Poor wee mite. The missus suffered frostbite reading What a Difference a Day Makes, on the terrace.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 1-02-10 9:57; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
davidof, the website for that hotel is most inviting. I love "Le Sabot de Venus is part of "accueil du parc" which is a quality gear fitting the natural parc whiches." Maybe you could get a few nights free in exchange for translating it into English?
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
davidof, the website for that hotel is most inviting. I love "Le Sabot de Venus is part of "accueil du parc" which is a quality gear fitting the natural parc whiches." Maybe you could get a few nights free in exchange for translating it into English?

ah it is pretty bad, probably the fault of Google translation. You must see a lot of bad English around the place, I'm pretty much immune to it now. I think some people have a higher opinion of they linguistic abilities than is warranted by reality.
latest report
After a difficult week at work I finally got home at 10pm on Saturday night. Luc had called and wanted to do a short tour before he went to work on Sunday afternoon so we headed up to the 7 Laux backcountry. The short tour turned into 1400 + meters and I began to wonder whether taking my new megafatbastardfreeride skis was such a great plan, especially as I only had skinny climbing skins. It was bitterly cold so we headed for a south facing slope, keenly aware of the wind loading these slopes had experienced since thursday.

As Luc said, the more you climb, the more you ski! The descent was fantastic. We've really been spoilt with conditions over the last couple of weeks. No time to do a second ascent, Luc had to get to work and I promised Junior we would ski in the afternoon so it was back home for a quick change (of skis as well) and up to the Col de Marcieu. Junior had been stressed out last week as we'd skied all day with "Super Nanny" and only wanted to go for an hour to please daddy.

Roads were snow covered below the 1100 meter col. Ski conditions were great, if chilly. I've skied some of the steep couloirs above the col but never properly in resort. Here is an aerial view of the main pistes

which are actually quite steep.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 1-02-10 14:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Hi davidof, , nice pics as always Very Happy

I'm off to Chamrousse on 12th Feb, what are the coditions like there ?

ta
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy