Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz / Morzine / Les Gets / Chatel - 2010/11

Poster: A snowHead
Like it FlyingStantoni, ...had a great little rando yesterday morning with thigh deep powder on the way down. Mr S&T had his first face plant (apparently the dogs fault!) and also lost the first bit of kit for the season!! But it was well owrth the walk up.....loads more snow forecast for Wednesday so looks like a cracking start to the season.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
summer, you might want to have a look at this Facebook group. A bunch of telemarkers based in Morzine.

I think they're meeting up for a ski the weekend of 10th December based around the Avoriaz ski test. Unfortuantely I'm not out until the following weekend.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FlyingStantoni, at my age?? Little Angel
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
robauxgets, where there's a will....... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
robauxgets, you don't look a day over 21... wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
50cm + and it's still coming down.......................

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31940260&l=57cdd4853b&id=1268417246
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i am out for a viewing visit to les gets on the 11th and 12th dec and i am after any local info that may aid my search for a apartment in les gets and also if anyone one has availability in a b&b or chalet for the 11th please let me know. i am flying into gva from the first flight out of liverpool(fingers crossed) so would have an empty car if any one neeeds a lift as far as les gets

neiltilley@mac.com

cheers neil
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowandtrek - oh my word Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Neilski, DallyPaul is possibly your man. Otherwise you could try www.mozinelets.com - in the Rhodos.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FlyingStantoni, ... should have gone to specsavers, eh rob? wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I see Les Gets is opening that little known ski area called Mont Chery this weekend...

From the Les Gets website:

Ski area open

Week-end 4th and 5th December 2010

The resort will open next weekend 4th and 5th December 2010.
On Mont-Chéry side only (cable car of Mont-Chéry and La Pointe and Chery Nord chairlifts).
Special price : 15 euros/day for adult and 10 euros per day for children.
The lift office and the lifts will open from 9 am to 4.30 pm
More information : 04 50 75 80 99
Possibility to reload your skipass : http://www.skipass-lesgets.com
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowandtrek, what depth of snow is around the 1000m - 1200m mark? Am thinking of coming over next weekend and might look to do some touring? Good conditions higher up? Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowandtrek, Looks like a lot of fun.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
All looking very good. Looking to head out for a few days early season leg loosening in a couple of weeks, under the guise of undertaking essential chalet maintenance. Looks like the skiing will be good and the maintenance will have to wait!

Very Happy
snow report
garyscott20, I am so jealous... Mont Chery. I wonder if they are opening there first to give more time on the loose ends on the other side Confused
snow conditions
Is the rain now coming on Sunday?
ski holidays
Pic taken on Mont Chery today. Not by me sadly ...
latest report
... and Lou you're spot on there are a few "loose ends" on the Chavannes side still. Keep 'em crossed for the 18th ...
latest report
Quote:

loose ends

did they actually put in the new red bubble replacement? saw pics of them demolishing the old lower station etc., but those pics were from not that long ago.

must go back there sometime.
snow conditions
Lou, ctskifam, what loose ends?
snow conditions
Is there any news on the progress of the Chamoissiere lift? Not quite as easy to see from the webcams as the red bubble
ski holidays
garyscott20 wrote:
Is there any news on the progress of the Chamoissiere lift? Not quite as easy to see from the webcams as the red bubble

That picture was from around the 22nd.
snow conditions
garyscott20, I was going to say (before Jamesc's photo!) that I had the impression that the new Chamossiere lift was well underway/completed Very Happy

ctskifam, are the new eggs in the vicinity yet? Thought they might be at the top? Well I suppose there is the one on show by the tourist office in worst case scenario though the uplift numbers might be a bit low Toofy Grin

MoodyFFS, the old bubble from village to chavannes has been replaced over the summer and if you look at the Front de Neige webcam you will see that the crane is still in situ and there is still work going on. This has meant that they have also had to move the Boule de Gomme poma slighty which is right beside it.
New lift has gone in on Chamossiere to replace old 3 man. Have reservations myself as that area was always somewhere good to go at busy times (challenging for me, but good all the same, the Arbis is in my top five runs)
Also new Boarder X course going in on Mont Chery I think, though first report I read gave the impression it was on the Chavannes - ctskifam?
ski holidays
Lou, thanks not heading back to the PdS this season (i don't think!) but have loved both my trips there and interested in what's happening Smile
snow conditions
MoodyFFS, I'm only there once myself this season Sad Sad but am really looking forward to two completely new areas to try Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Jamesc, Looks like there was still a fair bit to be done. IT wasn't long after that, that the snow arrived up near the top. Thanks for the photo.
ski holidays
Lou, will be on the ground tomorrow (was meant to be today ...) and will report back!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What's the story with the forecast? snowforecast is forecasting about a yard of rain starting Sunday but valdilliez.ch isn't forecasting any.

Wishful thinking or political correctness?Any other theories?

Cheers Tim
ski holidays
Snoworecast is now showing 48 hours of rain with the freeze level above 3000m followed by a plunge back to snow. Probaby what will happen, but might not be as extreme as predicted. Either way, not a problem long-term unless you are trying to ski in the rain!

While I'm here, if I buy a 6 day pass for Chatel and environs, can I upgrade it on a day by day basis for the whole PdS? I know this is usually uneconomic, but might suit my Jnuary trip - my first time in the PdS.

snowHead
ski holidays
Chris I dont know if you can buy a 6 day pass for Chatel or not. On the Swiss side, Morgins etc you can only get a two day "local" pass, after that you have to get the full PdS.

But the different resorts do have different policies and Chatel may well be a bit more flexible.

If you are definitely going i think you can buy online and if you are quick you might get a discount on the PdS pass so it wont cost much more.
snow report
advice please Smile i am out to les gets for a quick visit next weekend , and i am driving from GVA for the first time and wondered which was the best route, i have been told to avoid the motorway to Cluses, but my route planner says otherwise, so would appreciate any travel tips snowHead
snow report
Chris Bish, You can't upgrade. If you are not sure where you will ski you could just buy day by day. We usually do this on our lads' trip. Quite a few of the "local" areas are big enough for a day - for example Chatel includes Torgon and the La Chapelle runs on the East side of the valley road. It also allows purchase of a half day or 5 hour ticket if you are slow on the move one morning for any reason. Might save you a few Euros and allows for a trip to Verbier or Chamonix or one of the unconnected local resorts (Bernex, St Jean d'Aulps) to be fitted in.
snow conditions
DJL, Thanks. I am a typical "Km hungry intermediate" but we will be with people who might not want to do huge distances. Think getting the PdS 6 day online with a advance discount might be simplest. I assume getting around from Chatel to other villages is quite easy?? The snow looks great at present. (Last gasp attempt to stay on-topic, there!)

snowHead
snow report
Neilski, Cluses, Taninges, Les Gets unless the roads are really busy - can't imagine they will be. It costs a few Euros but makes for an easy journey - you are straight on the motorway from GVA Swiss side
snow conditions
Chatel to Morgins, Torgon, Montriond is easy (couple of lifts then ski down) Champoussin, Les Crosets, La Chapelle Avoriaz fairly easy (couple of lifts then ski down x2) Morzine and especially Les Gets is quite a long way unless you are fast moving and know where to go. Mont Chery too far (but good skiing!). If you want to ski Les Gets and have a car I would suggest driving to Morzine or Les Gets (takes about 45 mins) that way there is no panic to get home. We have done Chatel to Mont Chery and back in a day but it is no fun and no chance to try any nice looking runs you see on the way.
ski holidays
Neilski wrote:
advice please Smile i am out to les gets for a quick visit next weekend , and i am driving from GVA for the first time and wondered which was the best route, i have been told to avoid the motorway to Cluses, but my route planner says otherwise, so would appreciate any travel tips snowHead

Neilski,

Take the exit off the motorway immediately after the first Telepeage station and follow the signs for Samoens. Keep following signs for Samoens until you pick up the signs for Les Gets, Morzine and the PdS. This is a much better route than motorway to Cluses and very straightforward.

Bob
ski holidays
Ardoyne, that is the route i have been told the taxis take, thanks
DJL, cheers, good to have an alternative
ski holidays
DJL, Good info. Thanks.

Any further rcommendations for an eager but unskilled lardy who can travel at a reasonable pace will be appreciated. I am a big fan of the 3V and I am told PdS is even better as long as you have low snow. Really looking forward to it. Jan 22nd cannot come soo enough. All this snow outside is making me twitchy!

snowHead
latest report
Neilski, It's also the route that FlyingStantoni told us about. The Ardoyne one that is. Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy