Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Barefoot/Natural running

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone do this or know much about it?

I keep seeing/hearing about it, the theory being it is more natural and better for you than pounding down through your heel and using cushioned running shoes...

Just read an article in the dentists this morning in a triatholon magazine where one guy reckon it helped him massively with becoming injury free.

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
greg,

goto http://www.solutions4feet.com/news_item.php?wnID=2183 and click on the link in the page, there is a video of lee saxby explaining it
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cheers CEM, that backs up what I have been reading about, so if you believe that video we should all be doing it for running, and therefore when I play sports like hockey etc I should be on my forefoot.....

Do you have a personal view?

regards,

Greg
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
not quite barefoot running, but it is meant to mimic it, i have a pair of Nike Free Run shoes that are designed to give your lower leg and foot muscles a bigger work out than more traditionally soled running shoes. Took a bit of getting used to, but i actually prefer running in them now to my fitted Saucony shoes.

the more you work the muscles that cushioned shoes normally protect and negate, the stronger they get and the more less likely you are to picking up annoying injuries.

i wouldn't run any great distance in them, but i really like them.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can imagine bare foot running outdoors might be a bit dangerous, probably lots of glass etc lying around that might get stuck in soles of feet, plus stones etc might be a little painful

Dunno what the rules are in most gyms but my gym apparently bans you from going in shoeless as I discovered today, even if you have nice clean socks. Health and Safety apparently.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
barefoot running should be done on a soft surface, sand earth or soft grass. still glass, horrible stuff lurking around though
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
apparently as shoogly, says there are minimalistic shoes so barefoot running style doesn't have to be barefoot!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shoogly, what do you mean by 'great distance', how far would you run in them? Would you run a half marathon for example? A full marathon?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 22-09-10 13:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, true in part, the main benefit is runing on a surface that comes up to meet the foot and supports it, across it's entire range of motion different, each time. a soft minimalistic shoe will reditribute thie support to try and force a similar patern of gait each time, so not the idea IMO.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, cheers, so you subscribe to the time and place theory, it appears there is plenty of hype around that barefoot style should be used everywhere, on road, off road etc etc
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I remember being at a conference a few years back when Nike were launching their lunarglide or whatever it was called back then. They were waxing lyrical about the studies of African runners foot biomechanics and injury free running, all of which I was enthusiastically digesting until they showed a picture of said runners foot. Because the runner had from what I could tell, never worn shoes his forefort had spread and was freakishly wide. Not great for skiing unless you know a good boot fitter! wink

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 22-09-10 13:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, I don't think there are any hard or fast rules, we see africans winning on hard surfaces in the OG all the time, most prefer to wear shoes so i think that something has to be said for it. Wearing a shoe on a hard surface. Each person has very different feet and tissue types i can imagine certain cobinations totally destroying feet and some others that might be able to endure it, onse thing that is for certain, ut that we all enjoy running on the beech, so do that if you can.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
my OH used to kick a football around with a lot of African kids. He was the only one in studded boots; he thought it was his skills which kept them at bay. wink What price white supremacy?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Changing your gait when you're older can lead to injury. If you're a heal-striker (like me) switching to barefoot running probably won't do you any good at all. As for injury-free, I'm injury-free already.

Running barefoot on soft surfaces negates the point of doing it. You may as well be in a pair of cushioned shoes with decent support and grip.

I saw a bloke on the weekend running barefoot alongside a dual carriageway. He was miles from anywhere and, while not going particularly fast, was making good ground.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Batman_123 wrote:
shoogly, what do you mean by 'great distance', how far would you run in them? Would you run a half marathon for example? A full marathon?

i wouldn't run more than about 10k in them. Probably more likely to be half that on a regular basis.

one good point to make is that they make great walking shoes, ie. walking on tarmac or easy forest paths, anything more technical and they'd be silly as they offer naff all support.
latest report
shoogly, how come no further than 10km, do you reckon it would start to hurt legs/shins or something?

Would seem strange to buy a pair of what I assume are quite expensive running shoes which you can only really run 10km in. Are they specifically made for running shorter distances or is it just personal preference to run shorter distances in them?
ski holidays
When I came to the UK from NZ I was so used to being barefroot that I could run on gravel drives, concrete, stone tracks etc with no problem. Even had my forst time in the snow in bare feet... until my mum forced us to wear wellies Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

Would seem strange to buy a pair of what I assume are quite expensive running shoes which you can only really run 10km in

Not as bad as buying a 4 x 4 for the school run. Actually, those Nike shoes look very good - for walking. I'm not a runner, but might try on a pair. Some good colours, too.
latest report
Scarpa, gumboots mate. you're forgetting your roots Very Happy
snow report
Dot., indeed - Cliff Young, gumboot-wearing endurance athlete.
snow report
Dot., Laughing Laughing Laughing

Reminds me of Fred Dagg's gunboot song
http://youtube.com/v/5tAWwqKNI7g&feature=related
snow report
Gumboots....now there is a word from my youth that I had forgotten about.

I wonder if it is purely an antipodean thing? My mothers family were australian, and although we were always in the UK, we called trhem Gumboots too.
snow conditions
Batman_123 wrote:
shoogly, how come no further than 10km, do you reckon it would start to hurt legs/shins or something?

Would seem strange to buy a pair of what I assume are quite expensive running shoes which you can only really run 10km in. Are they specifically made for running shorter distances or is it just personal preference to run shorter distances in them?

no further than 10k as i think that if you're running any more than that you're likely to be looking for more support and cushioning than these shoes offer. I actually got them in Nike Town Seattle and the very helpful guy that fitted me there said that they're really designed to be used to help with working muscle groups that are normally dormant but only over short runs and walking.

My legs certainly get tired quicker running in these than my other shoes.
snow conditions
It was some years ago now, but I was on a beach with the kids in a breeze and a ball got loose and caught in the wind and started down the sand. I was barefoot in lightweight clothing at the time and certainly not fit, but I still recall pelting down that beach on firm wet sand and I must admit that running like that had/has never felt quite so free and easy in comparison to running with shoes/trainers on. I had to go some distance to catch the errant ball. It made a significant impression on me, so much so that I can recall the event years later and I think it was the lack of shoes that made the difference.
snow conditions
Megamum, conjures up pictures of those slo-mo shampoo adverts of yester-year. Was there a horse cantering through the surf alongside you?
snow report
pam w, You know what? I've always wanted to ride a horse at a canter through the surf in true advert style and have never had the chance to do so Laughing
ski holidays
Megamum, There's a certain cow about the adverts that thinks it's a horse Laughing
snow report
Scarpa, I'm not sure that's an entirely flattering analogy Confused Shocked wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy