Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your Best Run?

Poster: A snowHead
Alastair Pink, Oh my god what a muppet! I don't even know why i said it's in Austria when i know fully well it is in Switzerland.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What was my best run?
I think, the last run we did during a week in Zermat with Lord Whitenoise.
We'd made a couple of friends, one of whom turned out to be someone I'd met on snowHeads previously.

Each day we'd stop for a gluhwein (just the one) on the last run home and each day, we managed to put ourselves a little further up the hill when the lifts closed, giving us a longer home-run apres the apres.
On the last day we were, bar-wise, about as far up the hill as we could be at the end of the day so, having stopped for our customary, we stopped again at the bar we'd been to the day before. We then found, for the first time that week, the obscure entrance to the route that took us directly home avoiding the bus and what dya know? There was this cute little piste-side hotel with blankets on the chairs to put over your knees. I suggested another [cheeky] gluhwein. "But it's getting dark" said Emily.
"No problem, it's a full moon" I said.
So, one more gluhwein later, we took off, down a secluded run with the moon casting tree shadows across it - the very definition of serenity.
Then there was the bar we came across near the bottom... why break a habit?
Best run ever! snowHead

Which run do I like best generally though? That's a tougher one. There are so many but I do quite like the run from the top of Saulire down to Le Praz: the way it starts all lunar and craggy, gets down into the trees, past hotels and bars, when u get to Courchevel 1850 it's so busy it's like 'urban skiing' then, under the bridge, over the jardin enfants and away from the crowds, tree lined red-run that's usually deserted all the way down (and a crépe at the bottom).
Do off piste routes count too though?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Col de l'audzin in Val Thorens
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Le Face , Val D, first thing in the morning on the GS skis before the moguls form. May not be the quickest but it is a whole lot of fun.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jackson Hole - Down through Rendevouz Bowl and then The Hobacks.

3V - Jerusalem
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

"But it's getting dark" said Emily.
"No problem, it's a full moon" I said.
So, one more gluhwein later, we took off, down a secluded run with the moon casting tree shadows across it - the very definition of serenity.

Ooh yeah night skiing is always special. One full moon in St Anton we hiked up form the St Cristoph side, arriving at the top of the Galzig at dead on twelve (as some other guys let off fireworks), lights from all the villages glowing down in the valley, time for a few refreshments before skiing down kandahar by moonlight, amazing experience!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nickski wrote:
Jackson Hole - Down through Rendevouz Bowl and then The Hobacks.

3V - Jerusalem

another vote for 3V Jerusalem !! great run
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If we're talking about one single descent rather than a run over a period of time, then notching up over 3600ft of descent in Scotland at Nevis Range last season has to be up there, esp dropping below the ski area cranking up big GS turns on windpacked powder under the Gondola above the tree-line, to riding the berms of the world cup mtb single track Nevis Downhill on planks through the forest!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That red whatever it's called from halfway up the cable car at Les Arcs. Horrid little path to get in and then sooooo wide that you can go like a lunatic and have room to spare.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any run when i'm trying a new design for the first time after it's only been out of a press for a couple of hours. Even designs that don't work. It's still a rush.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Any run when i'm trying a new design for the first time

Er, of what exactly Puzzled Norwegian-style jumper home knit by granny? Daft jester hat?.....Or the usual crotchless underwear Toofy Grin ?
-
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict wrote:
Or the usual crotchless underwear Toofy Grin ?

Don't give him more ideas for merchandising Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
3V Jerusalem +3

also notable in the 3V;

Christine - VT
Creux - 1850
Combe sailire - 1850 (but only first or last thing, otherwise it's jammed with blue run heros "having a crack at it")
Chapelets - 1650
Mauduit - Meribel (only if it's quiet)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can never remember names of runs. Is it Belvedere which is the blue that ends up running past Les Grandes Alpes Hotel into Courchevel 1850 centre? I like that as a family run as Eve and i have a blast doing the little bumps around the sides of the piste markers and through the trees.

For ph and I, the best is Aigle (sp?) which is Eagle in English, which we did skiing from La Giettaz. A really mental mogully black. So much fun getting the chair back up and watching everyone else as stuck as we were Laughing only saw one person (instructor) ski it properly.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another vote for Jerusalem, its strange that its so recommended but usually quite empty, which is a good thing!
snow report
Les Creux in Les Gets. Steep, wide, and often, quite smooth. Does help its claim (in my eyes) that it was my first ever black run. Often some good powder to be found off to the side too
latest report
marmotte or crete in france, number 7 or 32 in Austria, who knows what any runs are identified as in italy (or who cares) and anything with super as a prefix in the US. rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

Any run when i'm trying a new design for the first time

Er, of what exactly Puzzled Norwegian-style jumper home knit by granny? Daft jester hat?.....Or the usual crotchless underwear Toofy Grin ?
-

the usual crotchless underwear Very Happy
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, bellecote or jardin alpin I think, easy cruising blues past some of the most expensive properties in Europe, never mind the Alps.

DavidYacht, cos it's hidden round the corner, innit, only really cool people like us know about it. You've got to watch it over the rollers though, I miss-judged it once and nearly landed on the up slope of the next roller, certainly earned my wings
snow conditions
rambotion wrote:
The laub in 15cm of powder, untracked, glorious

I would go along with the Laub as well.

You probably know the Galtiberg off the back of the glacier at the top also. Roughly twice as long as the Laub however in terms of an ideal run, it's a shame about the tricky bit in the middle, which the groups I have been with have always had to negotiate slowly and side slip one at a time. I know I am being extremely picky, but my ideal run would be one which can be properly "skied" almost continuously assuming you had the stamina, which of course in theory is possible on the Laub.

One of my favourite piste runs would be the long red/black from the top of Les Arcs all the way down to Villaroger. Again its a shame about the path you have to take after you come off the glacier, before you can start to enjoy the lower part of the run. Again I do admit I am being very choosy.
ski holidays
Dr John, Bellcote Very Happy thank you!
latest report
Fresh Powder + Bluebird day + Blackcomb Glacier = WooooooooHooooooooo!
latest report
Another vote for Jerusalem. And Creux, particularly first thing in the morning (ie before the crowds get to it) when it's just snowed, on a bluebird day.
snow report
Has to be the Laub in Engelberg. About four years ago we skied it in shoulder deep powder, the first few skiers on the run after a huge dump. The Laub is over 3000' of uninterrupted vertical, mostly about 30 degrees, some a little more, some a little less and as far as I've seen there's nothing like it.
ski holidays
the left hand side of hemel ....
ski holidays
+1

Quote:

my other candidate would be Spanky's Ladder on Blackcomb - most "mountainous" inbounds skiing i have skied

Though to be honest I sh@t myself on Spanky's ladder - its the run from the top of it (Ruby bowl) that got my vote (including the yellow snow at the top of the Ladder - honestly you cannot wait to walk any further away; luckily my wife was not so frightened by it!)
snow report
jesus i have just lookad at the tunnel run in Alpe D Huez, that is a big no no for me if i go this season, what a view though when you emerge!!!
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, definitely my worst experience on skis on the Tunnel. I was in one piece when I got down, but more by luck than judgment. Skullie
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder, where did you look at it?
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, try this: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/181/385990504_64cb6a5e6d.jpg?v=0
As in the picture, the slope being rammed with incompetent skiers (including me, on the day I was there Embarassed) makes it particularly delightful.

Other pics on Google Images eg
http://theskitrippage.com/Exit-of-Tunnel.jpg
snow conditions
The pink run.
latest report
The 'James Bond' run from the very top of Seceda right, right back into Ortesei, not St, Christina. It has it all, fast wide pistes, narrow shutes, 3kms of narrow frozen waterfall fast trail and the Coruna Hutte restaurant, Heaven. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
here you go Shimmy Alcott,
http://youtube.com/v/x8lft7Xiu_o What a cracking view from the exit of that tunnel. I really dont think i would go down that, i would get to the top and literally freeze stood there.
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, that video doesn't really give you an idea of the piste itself though. is it quite icy and mogully? it looked like there was some fresh over the top. or is it an itinerary/unpisted run? i can't say the tunnel itself is appealing - it seemed to go on forever.
snow report
double M - Tignes - just long and cruising and you know you are on the way home / bar / bed at the end of the run if you need it - you can let the Throttle go there.
ski holidays
One for GM fans : Faust in Flaine, end of day as sun is fading. Great red cruiser top to bottom. If you're tired and staying in Foret you can peel off to the right just before the bottom steep section and use the two way link to get to the lower green. Great.

My most memorabe one-off run was in Arinsal, tiny resort in Andorra, Easter Saturday 1998. At the time there was no link to the adjacent "Pal" area. Two feet of powder had fallen overnight and everyone had gone to the more challenging Pal area. Except me. So I had the top run to myself. On Easter Saturday. No-one on the drag, just me. Can you believe that? So I had this wide open powder snow field to myself. I'm no off-piste skier but hell I enjoyed every inch of that descent. Unforgettable.
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, erm, don't want to come over all Johnny Big Bollox or anything, but how is that any more difficult than Mont Fort Verbier? The approach to Mont Fort is certainly a hell of a lot more tricky than that, and the pitch doesn't seem any steeper, possibly less so.

*Sits back for the inevitable flaming*
snow report
Early season when it is nice and quiet..

Zauchensee down to Zauchensee/Flachau Winkl... nice and long.. varying degree of pitch and massive banked corners to carve round whilst going 'WOO-HOO'!
latest report
Dr John, i wouldn't say either is much more difficult than the other. the tunnel is a bit of a shock when you emerge from the tunnel onto the tiny platform (used to be smaller) with a steep slope dropping away from you usually plastered with "extreme intermediates" slithering around on their backsides
ski holidays
I so regret not chucking myself down that Tunnel jobbie last season when I was there. I've been to AdH twice now and not even looked over the edge of it Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy