Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your Best Run?

Poster: A snowHead
Quite simply what is your best run and why?

Mine : Avoriaz - Abricotine (blue) from Mossettes to Ardent. About 5 miles with a variety of gradients. From one of the highest parts to one of the lowest in the PDS. Lovely little cafe at the bottom after the run. Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mine : The blue run number 22 in the Jungfrau ski region of Austria at Kleine Scheidegg, becaue its a really nicely created run with tree lined parts and also because it was my first ever ski run Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mayrhofen, Red 7. Long, hugely wide and open at the top with stunning views,its a real motorway for getting some speedy carving turns in. Halfway down it turns and goes through the trees then past a cafe that always has comical oompah music blaring out from it. Also red 17 and the black run off the same chairlift are very nice indeed.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Abricotine brings back bad memories for me. Map reading error on PdS loop, had a lonely ride up on a lift I was convinced was gonna close with me on it, then a looong ski down to Ardent in fading light, whilst overtaking boarders who I'm sure must have been helped down c/o piste patrol. +1 for the place at the bottom selling vin chaud (I needed it).

Do like the red run down to Perrieres when the snow is nice and the rookies are not on the top slightly steepish bit. Ends like a world cup run.

Mine:
Black from Passo Gardena down in to Selva (no idea of the name). Just step on the gas and enjoy the fact that all the hordes have gone down the red Smile
or maybe:
The run down from Marmolada (feel the altitude though).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ricklovesthepowder, hard question, here's one of many answers:

Top pitch of Renard (Linga, PDS). Some of the nicest formed bumps I've seen, consistent, just the right gradient to zip line top to bottom.

Contrasting oddly with the lower pitch which has some of the least pleasant bumps I've seen. Dodgy incline, too steep without being steep enough, ohh err, missus.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whistler for me. All the runs from the top of the 7th Heaven Express on Blackcomb mountain going back to the start of the lift. Great empty runs (l and no queues when I went last year. Heaven.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lake Louise Men's downhill then the Ladies downhill - NEVER in my wldest dreams did I ever think that I, the most unfit, arthritic 48 year-old primary school teacher in the world, would ever be capable of getting from the top to the bottom of these let alone doing it on a bluebird day, whooping and hollering as I went!! Totally, totally fantastic day. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've said before that for me it is the Hiddern Valley run from the Laguzoi cable car to Amentarola in the dolomites.

That run takes some beating, although there care others that are close for me - red run 1 from the back of Kaltenbach down to Hochfugen being one such. Quite a long run, with over 1000m vertical, a variety of pitches and superb views.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tomo54 wrote:
Mine : The blue run number 22 in the Jungfrau ski region of Austria at Kleine Scheidegg, becaue its a really nicely created run with tree lined parts and also because it was my first ever ski run Very Happy

Agree that the blue run from Kleine Scheidegg down to Brandegg is nice and varied (some rollers at the start, a great view of the Eiger and then a tree lined section down to Brandegg).

PS I think you'll find it's in Switzerland, not Austria! wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink, Tomo54, +1 for that run too... especially for the apple fritters and vanillesaus... before catching the train back up Smile nom nom nom...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Routes 5 and 6 from the top of the Nordkette ridge, two very steep and tight couloirs, absolutely excellent in thigh deep powder and accessed directly from the lift! The fact only locals ski there helps too as you don't have to worry about dickheads dropping form above and sending it sliding down on your.

As a one particularlvtime run, the back of the Galzigbahn in consistantly nipple deep pow is the most fun I've ever had on skis.

Piste-wise, the 111 in Westendorf. Nice bar just before the end, although the little schnapps/beer/chocolate stand that used to be at the very end before they changed it with the gondola was ace too. The red run down from the schindlergrat in Anton is pretty special too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was going to say the run down from Schindler, rigth the way to Rauz, love that run.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wow... this is a tough question to answer...

i'm going to think about it for a while Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Difficult to name one, but if you held a gun to my head I think I would have to say Combe de Vallon, 3V
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The red 44 itinerary route in lech part of the Weiss ring was a great run

But best run for me was getting fresh tracks on the "face of bell" in Aspen after six inces of fresh snow in the morning Very Happy
ski holidays
The laub in 15cm of powder, untracked, glorious
snow report
Dr John, just did a youtube search for Combe de Vallon... looks ace Very Happy hopefully it'll have plenty of fresh snow on it in March!

My choice is somewhere on Eagle Ridge in the back bowls of Lake Louise... can't remember the exact slope name. Really (really) steep at the top then in the middle levels out to being just steep and then down into some bumps leading to a gully with loads of wee natural features. We were lucky enough to ski it on some nice spring snow conditions in the first week of April - it was deserted. The views are amazing!

Closer to home, Spring Run at Glencoe with lots of fresh snow on it is a true delight
Very Happy
snow report
Another vote for Wengen - possibly not the run to Brandegg (this would be in the top three), but the various runs to Wengen village. OK, if I have to choose, the blue then on to the red down to Mary's Cafe. The Lauberhorn downhill black is also brilliant.
snow report
Dr John wrote:
Difficult to name one, but if you held a gun to my head I think I would have to say Combe de Vallon, 3V
+1
ski holidays
I can't think of a "best" one. They're all the same, let's be honest.
latest report
Mr Technique, couldn't agree less
snow report
Stockhorn down to Gant on the wide open face of moguls in Zermatt. 1200m vertical, lots of different routes to try and vary the run. Good pit stop just before the cable back up. Has to be March or April to really find it at its best.
latest report
Got to be Mayrhofen - The Ahorn side. Going from Red 4 in to 5. Really long run and with varying terrain and awesome views when descending all the way to town level. To top it off there's a bar at the bottom with a Zillertal beer and Jaeger waiting for you to sit in the sun and relax after a long day.
snow report
The red off the back of Mont Chery in Les Gets - not that long but pretty cool Smile
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Dr John wrote:
+1

what's the other red run from that lift like in comparison - Campagnol?
snow report
i like "double m", "ok" and "orange" runs in espace killy different reasons. "double m" cos it's soooooo wide it gives you space to make mistakes or avoid others making them ahead of you; "ok" and "orange" cos you can pop off them towards the bottom and do some tree riding before popping back on piste to get to the lift/funicular.

my favourite overall though, is the hidden valley in espace killy. it's an off piste run that you need a guide/local to show you where to go so you don't smash your board/skis into little pieces.
snow conditions
shoogly, narrower and more winedy, at the top, opens out a little half way down. Still good, but not so much of a balls-out blast. Advantage of it is that it brings you out at the plan de mains lift, from combed de vallon you have to get the mures rouges back up or continue down the flat and boring ours road to mottaret. Do one then the other, the order in which you do them depends on the direction you're heading afterwards. Suggest doing combe as early as poss to get the best conditions. If you can do the whole run without stopping you're a better man then I am, Gunga Din.
ski holidays
Dr John, spot on.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pierre Blanche - La Plagne.

7km of red and blue, gently meandering through trees, followed by coffee with Cyril in La Ferme in Monthcavin. Joy Cool
snow conditions
Quote:

it's an off piste run that you need a guide/local to show you where to go so you don't smash your board/skis into little pieces.

I wouldn't have said you need a guide, a rope however would be really useful. We did it with neither and found two sections that would be small waterfalls in summer very sketchy. Great fun though
ski holidays
The Dave Murray downhill in Whistler on a sunny day when it's been groomed top to bottom followed by a stop at Dusty's.
snow report
I think on-piste only counts for this, really, so I'd say Pylones at les Grands Montets, when it's pure powder from top to bottom (has to be the first few bins for this but it's pure joy when it happens!)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 21-09-10 14:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Sitter wrote:
I was going to say the run down from Schindler, rigth the way to Rauz, love that run.

If you want to get back up, I assume you'd have to use Schindler's Lift?
ski holidays
I love the Lauberhorn downhill in Wengen. Unfortunately it tends to get very cut up later in the day. But... the best run I remember is an itinerary in Les Deux Alpes, from near the top of La Fee down to the Télésiège du Thuit - on a perfect powder day, of course Happy
latest report
Quote:

Better still if you continue down to Stuben for a well earned beer. Def one of my fave runs
ski holidays
firebug, hard to top that one (having had a couple of runs like that last year)
my other candidate would be Spanky's Ladder on Blackcomb - most "mountainous" inbounds skiing i have skied
latest report
firebug,
Quote:

Pylones at les Grands Montets
Oh, I love that too. The views are just...indescribable. Very Happy
snow report
Best or favourite? Last year a bounce down 74 Chute at Squaw on a storm day and a couple of mellowish laps down East face of KT22.

Favourite - no such thing depends on snow - maybe Siberia Ridge to powderfield to Falling Star or Knot to Anaconda to Bootleg at Fernie or as above anything off Spanky's or a Peak to Creek variant.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 23-09-10 13:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Dr John wrote:
shoogly, Suggest doing combe as early as poss to get the best conditions. If you can do the whole run without stopping you're a better man then I am, Gunga Din.

I accept Very Happy

will let you know in March how i get on!

[shoogly pootles off to gym to build up leg muscles Very Happy]
ski holidays
without any doubt

rollercoaster in panorama

awsome Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy