Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel Companies for U18's?

Poster: A snowHead
Lizzard wrote:
Winterhighland, I know that. However, since the youngster in question gives his location as Nottingham it's hardly relevant, is it? rolling eyes

Nor is most of your and Waynes drivel in this thread but that's not stopping either of you and actually it was relevant to the point you were making a sweeping general statement as if it applied everywhere, so my point was relevant to my previous post of 'look north'.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Winterhighland

SmileyCentral.com
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno wrote:
in fact i think quite a few of my buddies spent their school summer hols interrailing aged 17

Add imprisonment in multiple jurisidictions, currency exchange scams, theft of luggage from racks on a cross-border train ride (which police force has jurisdiction?) and STDs to the things which make this unpossible!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Wayne, you need to give Michael a bit more credit - he actually said he decided not to go. Probably the very sensible young sort of guy that should be going.

Hopefully this is a bare faced lie and this thread has had no impact on his decision and in fact its made him more resolute to defy the naysayers. If he's been put off by a few well intentioned comments or because it can't all be laid on a plate for him by a TO he's probably not mature enough anyway wink

Just because I wanted the tour operator to arrange everything does not affect my maturity. Why should I put hours of time and effort aranging a holiday when I can get someone else to do it. For you to question my maturity for using a tour operator is wrong. My grandparents use tour operators rather than spending time doing it on their own. Does that make them unmature? No, of course it doesn't.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jesus Be Nice please! christ...

michaelrowland, plan the holiday out, discuss it with your parents and come to a conclusion. It all depends on how badly you and your friends want to go.

I am sure that you are more than able to go at 16/17. I encourage you to do so. You will learn a lot from the holiday alone. IF you live life like how Wayne wants you to you will never have a tale to tell.

Regarding your initial post:

The non-to route would probably be best.. it's not as difficult as you may think - especially with the internet.

1. Pick a resort
2. Find out how to get there - closest airport (most resorts will have this info on their website)
3. Find out how to get from the airport to the resort (again.. resorts will have info on how to get there, including which train/bus you need to get)
4. Pick a hostel (you can call/email the tourist office and get a list of hostels)
5. Enquire how much ski/board rental will be
6. Enquire how much the ski pass is
7. Sort some sort of travel insurance out (although I never have in the past, I should probably suggest you do)
8. Calculate cost of the trip
9. ENJOY!

That's really it... It will take you no more than 5 hours. I organised a trip for 12 people within hours.

If you get stuck along the way feel free to ask us, maybe then you don't get a flurry of judgemental posts. Also, the resort's tourist office will be very helpful in any enquiries. I would personally choose a larger-resort over a smaller one.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 18-09-10 0:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
michaelrowland, Sorry that was a wee bit of a joke at the attitude of some of the advice on here but not great & I thought you'd been put off by some of the naysayers in which case I was advocating 2 fingers at the TOs and go DIY rather than not go at all.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tiffin wrote:
I think your all missing the point. Who will be buying the beer?

They can buy their own if they go to Austria.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is the drinking age still 16 in Austria? Because I know Germany changed it to 18 a couple years ago.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, aw, that was a nice apology
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
michaelrowland, I love organising my hols!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Christ there's some crap written in this thread!

I'm surprised the TO's are turning you down - 3/4 years ago a group of 20 of us (all aged 16-17) went to Magaluf with Thomas Cook, no problems whatsoever with age. Same year a couple of mates also did a TO ski trip to Meribel, can't remember who with though.

I think you'd be perfectly fine going on a ski holiday on your own. If you can't go the TO route, find cheap flights to an airport near the Alps (Salzburg or Innsbruck for Austria, I'm sure others can recomend places in France)*, use public transport to easily and cheaply get to resort, have a hotel/youth hostel booked, sorted. Go and hire some skis form the local shop. Make sure you have insurance obviously, and it sounds like you should all book into ski school too (I get the impression you're beginers?). I think the drinking age in Austria is still 16, but I've noticed many bars will only let over-18's in now.

I'm amazed people are questioning the maturity/ability of 16/17 year olds to look after themselves, given that (in England as well as Scotland) at 16 you are legally allowed to live by yourself etc.

*Never had a problem flying on my when when I was under 18, I think it's when you're under 16 that you may have issues.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999,
Quote:

I'm amazed people are questioning the maturity/ability of 16/17 year olds to look after themselves,

Most, if not all, of the people on that side of the argument were doing no such thing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timmaah wrote:
Is the drinking age still 16 in Austria? Because I know Germany changed it to 18 a couple years ago.

It's 16 in France and Switzerland.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I still think a SH's bash would have been a good idea.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999, Timmaah, It has been 16 in Germany and Austria for Beer, but 18 for anything like spirits (Weinbrand it's called in the Jugendschutzgesetz) for as long as I can remember. Even wine was limited a while back too, but people under 18 still got hold of it, as they do!

I worked for Piggle in the 70s, 80s and part of the 90s in the UK, France and Austria - we always had unaccompanied kids but I think that the contracts were with the parents. The standards of instruction are very variable, depending on the number of customers and availability of the part-time staff. On the whole the company tries to use only qualified staff, all the time I was full-time with them we were all fully qualified to teach our sports. The Welsh National Sailing coach was head of sailing when I started and I started with a future English National sailing coach. We also had all BASI or locally qualified staff at the resorts I worked in. However, they were/are never ones to turn away a buck and in peak periods, a lot of unqualified but "enthusiastic" staff did work in the locations I was in. Mostly in a glorified child minder role, but certainly not delivering quality instruction. I do not know what it is like now, but feel from what I observed in Austria last season, the leopard has not changed its spots!

Sue wink
latest report
Samerberg Sue, I could have sworn that a year or two after I left school in Hessen (2007) that they changed the drinking age to be 18... But a google proves that this isn't the case, I guess it was more self-imposed by the bars in the Frankfurt area then...
snow conditions
geepee wrote:

It's 16 in France and Switzerland.

Cant comment on Switzerland but France is 18!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy