Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel Companies for U18's?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to go skiing with a few of my friends but we are all under 18. Most high street travel agents that we've tried have said that the trip leader must be over 18 so we don't know what to do. Could anyone advice me as to where to go to book and if it is possible with the three of us being 17, 16 and 16? It would really be apretiated!

Thanks a lot. Michael
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
michaelrowland, welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

I think you will struggle TBH. Certainly, I'm not aware of any operators or owners who will accept - respectively - clients or renters who are under 18. Even with good old 18-30 Holidays, you DO need to be at least 18 Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
michaelrowland, Wlcome to snowHeads snowHead
It will be difficult because the law of contract applies to 18 and over and the holiday firms have to issue a contract.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've heard of friends that are going on sun holidays that are my age but I can't get anything for ski holidays. Thanks anyway Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
michaelrowland, welcome to snowheads. if you haven't already, speak to action outdoors. they *may* be able to help. their contact details are on the left hand side of their home page.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hello there when i was 17 i used a company called snowtrex (think thats what it was called) they had no problems with use being under 18 and their prices were very cheap
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PGL will take groups of under 18's.
The parents must make the booking though.
http://www.pgl.co.uk/PGLWeb/Groups/youth-groups/ski/default.htm
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks you guys. I'll have a look into both of them!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
michaelrowland, if you had a credit card from a parent or something you could just book flights and accommodation yourself... no need to go with a tour op.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are plenty of youth hostels(or equivalent) in Alpine regions - can you not get into those?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
michaelrowland, I'd go the non tour op booking aswell. You could get loads of advice on here about suitable places, good transfers etc and we do need a good thread to get a bit of action on the piste at the minute
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
michaelrowland, I can't help, but I do sympathise - it seems a reasonable request for your ages, considering you could all get married and want to go on a honeymoon.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Edited

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 18-09-10 15:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What could go wrong Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Edited

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 18-09-10 15:16; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
have you found out if there's any local ski clubs that may have spaces available on any trips away... does nottingham not have quite a big dry slope? you could always go and ask there and see if they have any club associated? or was it sheffield i'm thinking of?

either way, good luck! i've been on kayaking trips to the alps when i was younger and we had a blast. as long as you're mature and level headed for your age, it's good to see youngsters trying to get out there and live a little (or a lot!). really would recommend trying to go with a club or like minded group with an older friend present.
snow conditions
You must have very understanding parents/guardians if they are OK with this. There's no way I'd have ever been allowed other than school ski trips with teachers present.

Good luck!
snow report
Wayne, If it is thought through properly then why not? They're not far off 18 - doesn't magically make them mature. If I gave my child permission to go then I would expect them to show me how responsible they were at arranging the big trip. I would, as always, be ready and available for if something went wrong aswell; just as I would be when they are 19.
ski holidays
I was 46 before I was allowed on a skiing trip alone Sad
snow conditions
My parents say that we have to have every single aspect of the holiday planned out but they are ok with it. I'm mature and can cope with many situations but the travel comapnies are the problem. We didn't want to go with a club because you're resticted to four hours of skiing a day and we want to do lots more. We may just have to wait a year for one of us to be 18 Sad
ski holidays
Is getting someone who is 18 to go, or joining up with a group of slightly older people (i.e. 19/20/21 etc) an option?

Either that, or I hear some bloke called Vladivir down my local can get you a dodgy passport for a few quid! wink

It is a bit strange though - I was going on holiday with mates and girlfriends when I was 16/17 and there were no issues with booking it (admittedly it was Summer holidays rather than Winter)
snow report
michaelrowland, I arrange practically all of my holidays myself now - rather than use an agent/Tour Op. I stopped using agents/Tour Operators as I found that I was paying a lot more for little if any benefit. I now book my flights, accomm and transfer separately. I find it no different to going with Tour Op. except I get quicker transfers and dont get hassled by the reps. trying to sell me something. I've been on a fair few holidays and I dont recall ever really needing a rep. These days you often dont even get a rep on the bus. You're just handed a pack of info (mostly useless) as you get on the bus.

-Flights
-accomm
-transfers
-insurance
-ski hire
-ski pass
-ski lessons
-EU healthcard thingy

Not much to it. Like I said you will get loads of help on here regarding accommodation, suitable resorts and airports etc even which shop to book your ski hire from Wink I would recommend accommodation with free wi-fi so you can keep your folks updated.
ski holidays
Edited

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 18-09-10 15:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
michaelrowland,

Wayne is giving very sound advice.
latest report
Wayne, one of these "kids" is old enough to drive. Plenty young are lads killed in cars, should his parent not let him drive. The other two could drive scooters to school/college each day (plenty of them do it round here but I'd never let my kid do it). It really is up to his and his friends parents whether they think he is mature enough to go on holiday on his own or not.
snow report
I don't think it's as black and white as all that. In the summer after my O levels I organised a 2 week youth hostelling trip in the West Country. My parents met our group on the middle weekend, bringing some clean clothes and home made cakes. It rained practically the entire time - we had routes worked out for walking hostel to hostel and it was a great trip for us. At 19 - as a student - I did a similar thing with one friend, through Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, mostly travelling by train (but also some hitchhiking). I'm quite sure I was in less danger on that trip than a few years later when I went on a small motorbike (90 cc!) with two of us, and paniers, through London down to Dover and thence to Ostend and the Black Forest. some very hairy moments on the autobahn.....

Of course things can go wrong. They can go wrong at home, too, and a parent could be down in the Alps within hours if there were a major difficulty. I don't think it's a completely mad idea - I'd rather my 17 year olds were off on a ski holiday than sitting round smoking noxious substances playing computer games (yes, I do know it's possible to smoke noxious substances on the ski slopes too....).

In this era, I don't think a holiday in Austria, Switzerland or the French Alps presents significantly different risks than a holiday in, say, Scotland. I couldn't say about Italy - I have very little experience of travelling in Italy.

In a few months these guys will be free to join the army and get killed, they can get married and have kids, etc etc. It needs thought, but I can't agree that it's irresponsible madness to even think about it.

Action Outdoors/UCPA is a very good suggestion - you can get all day instruction/guiding with experienced instructors - and see areas such as Chamonix, flaine, etc safely.
latest report
There seems some good advice above and the usual polar views which often happen on less than clear cut matters. I have an alternative suggestion which might be worth consideration and it is only a suggestion. How would this spirited group of young people fair if they joined something like a SH's organised bash? Enough independance to have a good time yet, enough presumably resposible adults in the vicinity to assist if the proverbial hit the fan. They could also travel overland and avoid problems with UM's and airports, perhaps even picking up a lift with others that were also going.
snow report
Megamum, jesus, I'd never let my kids on a SH bash Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did a season on my own and then hitched round Africa for 5 months, lots of stuff went wrong. Coped fine. I do understand from an Admin point of view that it can be a problem, but from a maturity point of view I don't think there is a huge difference.

I was only 18, is that so much different from 17?!

michaelrowland,
when you planning on going? Do you not have school/sixth form trips, they are pretty damn fun!
latest report
10 years ago we were allowed to go on a ski holiday with Thomson to Alpe D'Huez when we were all under 17 as long as we had a letter from our parents! One of our group was only 16 at the time
snow report
My sis worked as a Nanny in Germany at 17 Shocked
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
My sis worked as a Nanny in Germany at 17 Shocked

Your parents are bloody irresponsible then. What would have happened if she had been hitchhiking from East to West (down the wrong side of the Autobahn) and a tractor went by with hay bails on the back and one had rolled off knocking down a nearby tree on top of her and killing her to death?! Shame the internet didn't exist back then to tell your sister she couldn't go Sad
ski holidays
scotia, Presumably the family that her sister was working for were responsible for her, and would have been held responsible under German law.

I went on my first trip to the Alps with my ski club at 14 with friends of the same age and have been one of the responsible adults on club trips since, in both cases the adults had known the kids for a long time and were happy to give them a fair bit of freedom.
ski holidays
rjs, I think scotia, is only joking
latest report
michaelrowland, there's a simple compromise - Going with UCPA (via somebody like Action Outdoors) should get you around most of the issues Wayne raises about the lack of an 18 year old in your party.

[edited to remove reference to Italy - did somebody say you wanted to go there? But I can't see it in your post - UCPA is France only though]

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 15-09-10 22:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, I know that, the point is that if michaelrowland and friends went somewhere with a TO then somebody like Wayne would end up being held responsible for them, he has indicated that he wouldn't be willing to accept that responsibility.
ski holidays
Wayne wrote:

I know the internet is just a place to spout your own ideas (this is mine) but to egg-on a bunch of kids to set off on a ski trip with no supervision or oversight is just wrong.

I'm out of this.

& employers wonder why prospective young employees don't display any basic self sufficiency skills? Scotchland by train, yoof hostel etc, train or flight to alps, yoof hostel. Its a rather arrogant assumption that U18s aren't capable of functioning without supervsion.
latest report
rjs, but I'm suggesting he not go with a tour operator. They would be responsible for themselves.
snow conditions
michaelrowland, While I would encourage your independence there are several issue that may/may not be insurmountable. My daughters both organised summer holidays abroad while 16/17 years old and the things they found were:

Tour Ops won't take bookings from under 18s.
Booking Flights, Transfers, accomodation seperately was fine as no-one asked an age as long as they had a means of paying (we paid flights on our credit cards and they gave us the cash).
EHIC - it was E111 then, but they couldn't have thier own so had to take a copy of ours on which they were listed - we were dubious about this but it was the only way.
Insurance - they couldn't get normal travel insurance as an unaccompanied 16 year old. As they both went with boyfriends who were over 18 they got a policy for an adult and a child, the fact that they were unrelated made no difference, it was just like a family policy.
Money - if no-one is over 18 it means no-one has a credit card for "emergency funds".

So - Insurance/Medical is the difficult bit - find one 18 year old to go with you and it will be much easier. If you can sort these essentials first go for it - and as others have said a Youth Hostel may be a good idea as they are used to unaccompanied minors (I believe they take them from 14 yrs without an adult). What about going by train, then stay in a hostel?
snow report
RobinS, The E111 is now a card - even my three year old has her own
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy