Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Snow Report 10/11

Poster: A snowHead
Looks like we are set in for some decent snow fall now!
In the Salzburg region snow is down to about 1000m after a wee sprinkiling over night.

Planai now look s a lot more healthy! http://www.planai.at/winter/en/Home.html#tab_6236
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks quite good in Ischgl today:

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Less than 1 month till I'm in Ischgl!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
slipper wrote:
Less than 1 month till I'm in Ischgl!

1 month and 9 days snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
~16 days until I'm in St. Anton Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Got a chance for a cheeky trip this Sunday through next Friday (26th).

Flying in to Munich.

Where should I go in Austria please?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Pow, Hintertux would be my suggestion.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
and mine.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks guys.

Any lodging and lift deals I should be looking at?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Where should I be staying? Tux? Finkenberg?

Thanks
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow, Train to Innsbruck and then take a look at the situation

From there you can get trains/buses to any of the best regions: I've skied Sölden (2 glaciers in perfect condition)

Stubai - Swirly's reporting excellent conditions

Hintertux - in good nick as well.

Alternatively hire a car and base yourself somewhere centrally in the Inntal (cheap accommodation) and roam! Unfortunately I can't meet up with you as I'm back in the UK for a funeral Crying or Very sad

Beware though the forecast is currently showing bitterly cold conditions next week

wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Samerberg Sue wrote:

Beware though the forecast is currently showing bitterly cold conditions next week

wink

Not before time!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Pow, if it was me (going to Hintertux) I'd stay at Tux or Lannersbach, so as to be closer to the lift and the Hohenhaus Tenne. Others prefer Mayrhofen for the options being in a town offers. If I wad there for a whole week I'd be tempted to split my time between a couple of places along the lines Samerberg Sue suggests.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all. Much appreciated.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We did the Hintertux and Lannersbach thing a few weeks ago.

Recommended.
snow conditions
Stunning pictures from Obergurgl on the 14.11 here
ski holidays
stubai is looking good at the moment! some good skiing to be had, and some good on snow conditions, getting cold though!!
snow report
I skied on the Kitzsteinhorn at Kaprun on Wednesday and was again blessed by good weather - the sun shines on the righteous! Very little wind and quite warm when the sun was out. This week the Kristallbahn was running which opened up another run ...

There had been a couple of centimetres of fresh snow overnight (a little more up the top) though the rocks weren't far below the surface (see below). Here's an action photo of me ...

Oh, no - that should have read: here's an action photo from me. If you want a photo of my action, see this one - the result of hitting a rock and being catapulted out of both bindings (always good to know they work at the start of the season) ...

Finally a general shot, taking in the afternoon with the shadows stretching over the glacier. Wasn't too busy, no queues - the advantage of mid-week.

BTW, I saw pictures of Obergürgl on television this evening. It was snowing moderately and the conditions looked good.
latest report
mmmmm snow is good, been heavy all afternoon on the slopes at stubai!
snow report
This is the first real winter week in Austria. Cold and snow are coming from tomorrow, many resorts open this week.
snow report
Some Austrian resorts have seen 60cm fresh already Cool

http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/schneewerte/?sort=BergNeuschnee24,DESC
latest report
Getting giddy, ONLY 52 sleeps until hitting the Arlberg........................OMG is it that long to wait?!! Sad
latest report
We'll be in Ischgl/Kappl from the 17th Dec till the 26th.

Plan to ski on Xmas day too.

Looks great over there.

All we've got to do is drive there........... wink
latest report
Just got back from a few days on the Stubaier Glacier, we had a round a foot of fresh pow on Friday (best 'first day of the season' I've ever had!!), with drifts of upto about 2 feet in places (incidentally my new pow skis are schweeeeeett!!), and it was snowing fairly heavily on Sunday, looking like it's set to continue for a few days too. Looking good for this season so far!!
latest report
Obergurgl 30cm fresh yesterday (119cm total base uptop).
latest report
Non-glaciated off piste terrain good to go?
snow conditions
Mike Pow, Krippenstein is said to be a good one
http://www.krippenstein.com/en/winter/freesports-arena/freesports-arena/
snow conditions
Thanks kerekip, but was looking at current non-glaciated conditions in Austria to see if it's worth heading over this weekend.

Which resorts are open and delivering good early season conditions and terrain?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow, this weekend... Obertauern is opening... Wagrain is opening and Zauchensee is opening...Schaldming is also open but only a tiny bit!

consider that all of these will have restrictions and not be fully open.
Obertauern is having its opening party the weekend after next... and i think saalbach is too... 80's specatacular with The Hof, Bonny Tyler, Nena (naturally), bloke who sung eye of the tiger and apres with otze....
snow conditions
Obertauern the weekend after next could be the call. Many thanks.
ski holidays
hi, i'm a newbie here.
after lurking for a little while i've finally got round to registering.

i'm thinking of snowboarding for a week very early season - either from the 5th or 12th of december.

thought i'd give austria a try this year as i've heard great reports from others & the french alpes are just getting more & more expensive.
which of the austrian resorts generally do you think would have the biggest likelihood of decent snow this early in the season.

after some looking on the net st anton, being high, seems like an option.
i'd just like some info from people with first hand experience & knowledge.

cheers,

jc.
snow conditions
Hintertux. Problem solved!
latest report
Hintertux doesn't appear to have seen much new snow (it's been around the 150cm mark for weeks) but it could be that the wind has blown the new snow from the peaks and so lower conditions have improved.
snow conditions
bythesea, welcome to Snowheads.

Ischgl got plenty already and it should be rather busy in terms of spres ski in December.
Obertauern is smaller but should have good snow and apres. I have been there 3 years ago in third week of December and it was brilliant.
You can try glacier resorts - Kaprun, Stubai, Hintertux. They all doing well now.
Same with Solden, Obergurgl. St Anton should be fine.

Or just hold on and see how weather develops and most of the resorts might be good. I have seen some good deals for Mayrhofen before Xmas.

I was in Livigno in Italy last December and it was great as well. They offer free ski pass with most accomodations before Xms. Not a big place but easy cruising good for lower intermediates etc. Tax free so fairly cheap as well. (www.livigno.eu)
They have tones of snow now.

Ischgl, Obertauern, Obergurgl, St Anton are not cheap by Austrian standards but probably better than France.
Mayrhofen or Livigno are cheaper.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 23-11-10 15:44; edited 2 times in total
snow report
bythesea, being a boarder bear in mind tha tthe glacier areas do have a few T-bars....

Well on the 5th... Obertauern is having its opening party so it will have a good atmosphere!
Going to gtive some more info next week.. going for an Amadé tour....
latest report
thanks for your welcome & all your replies. extremely useful. i'll be looking at stuff on the net tomorrow re resorts, accommodation etc.
any more info will be gratefully received.

thanks again - seems like an excellent forum.

Very Happy
ski holidays
Awesome!
Snow down below 800m (just)!
The valley is alive with the sound of echoeing snow cannons....
And it is chuffing cold... all set for things to come!
snow report
flangesax, so snow on the roof and not the garden, are you not at 800m?
ski holidays
Obergurgl is looking good ......
http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=37074&sid=b91e3cc1dae692b6eff24df717542d96
latest report
waynos, the garden snow has burnt off now... but it is still snowing (just)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy