Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is everyone paying for their 2011 trips ? ( outside school hols in Jan/Feb)

Poster: A snowHead
£1700 was that for one week or two in St Anton?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
marksovereign, Club Med - Les Arcs. Really really nice looking. All inclusive - everything including lessons, lift pass, beer is only £2k per person for Christmas week!!! So £1700 before you even pay for beer, not in one of the busiest weeks of the season, is a bit of a silly price.

Im starting to realise that we're paying too much!
So which Chalet are you pimpimg?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stanton wrote:
£1700 was that for one week or two in St Anton?

Just the one!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Neilski wrote:
£4567.00 pp for whistler 1st march 2011 7 nts + 2 nt stop over in vancouver R/O . SO I AM A EUROPHILE FOR EVER Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'm hoping that's penthouse suites at the Four Seasons, Westin or something similar. Don't think a season in Whistler cost me that much.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You have to ask yourself what do I get for my money apart from a bed?

I would say that is a rip off.

You can stay Halfboard for 2 people in one of the 4* Hotels for around that price & probably negotiate a price for the 5* Hospiz Hotel in St Christoph!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Currently looking at a big-ish resort in the Southern Alps for Feb Half Term.

Costs look to be about £450 - £500 pp for inclusive flights, transfer, s/c accommodation, lift pass, and ski hire.

So with a bit of petrol/food/booze on top of that should come in around £750pp total spend as usual. I hate how expensive half term is.

Not in a position to actually book yet unfortunately, as am still herding the people.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marksovereign, Not sure it would be your cup of tea as there isn't much night life (chalet bar, couple of local bar/restaurants - though if I recall correctly one did have a band) and a five min drive to the main lift (chalet has its own minibus that'll take you). But if you want some more details I'd be happy to help. (The pimping thing was a joke, i have nothing to do with the chalet other than i was a very happy customer last year).

http://www.chalet-la-giettaz.com/The-Chalet/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
£ 180 to go to Tignes, inc lift pass, ski test, transfer, accomodation & food.

I'm being paid to go to Pila & Champoluc. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1700??? are u for real?? we just paid 265 pp for flights accom and transfers to Soll lift pas 150 own equipment , staying in the schindlhaus apartments. if ud like the site pm me
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just booked for end of January 2011, Morzine - £575 catered, chalet with hot tub + sauna, free beer and wine till 11pm. Price includes flights, transfers, accomodation, catered, lift pass.
Got own equipment. Never normally book this early but it's always down to me to sort and I couldnt be bothered with the stress this year

Last year paid £460 - halfboard, only in Bansko though, price included lift pass, transfer, flights etc, through crystalski. Booked 7 weeks before going.

In 2009 paid £580 first week of feb to Tignes, catered place, included flights, transfer, lift pass. Booked 7 weeks before going.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nbt, This is exactly what I normally aim for now - 110-120£ per actual day of skiing (after all expenses, even those like airport parking, alcohol etc).
Some of my DIY holidays in Austria worked out even less than that.
I had some weeks in the past where total bill was well over 1000£ due to lots of nightlife mostly.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bookham_mat wrote:
1700??? are u for real?? we just paid 265 pp for flights accom and transfers to Soll lift pas 150 own equipment , staying in the schindlhaus apartments. if ud like the site pm me

Let me clarify - thats is for flights transfers chalet ( half board) lift passes and beer vouchers so cira £1400 for the holiday and £300/ £350 beer vouchers
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marksovereign, still sounds a bit on the steep side. Beer vouchers?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells, I concluded he meant cash set aside especially for beer... Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hells Bells, Shimmy Alcott, oh come on!!!!

Beer Vouchers
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, not necessarily cash set aside especially. Under the right circumstances any notes can be transformed into beer vouchers Toofy Grin
ski holidays
that price pre-supposes a more upmarket holiday experience than most of us are talking about here. It's perfectly easy to spend £500 or £5000 or a good deal more on a week's chalet holiday. In 10 minutes on-line you could readily find examples of a whole range, in a whole range of resorts. If you have an expensive basic package, in an expensive resort, then go out drinking in bars all night, it's not going to be cheap, is it?

Bit of a daft question really. How much do we all spend on our cars? Some of our cars costs thousands a month (including depreciation), others are old bangers, most are in between. Depends what you want, and what you can afford. Not rocket science.
ski holidays
Laughing I loved this so much - think achilles posted it the first time i saw it - it has to be done again

http://youtube.com/v/THNPmhBl-8I
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, excellent Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, Laughing Laughing
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, As a rocket scientist in a past life it made I laugh, Ta Laughing
snow report
At the moment costings are coming out at £1900 pp for flights, B+B and lift passes + vehicle hire for 15 days skiing in Utah Madeye-Smiley

Going to hit probably at least 8 resorts maybe more depending on conditions. Costs are going to be roughly what we paid last year or less as some of the accommodation are offering discounts on last years prices Toofy Grin
latest report
7 nights in les Houches , flights , hotel , transfers in early Jan , £800 for 2 , still got passes and evening meals to add on , off to Meribel first week of April , £1500 for 2 , half board from manchester , so I would guess on average around £750 per person per week.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
that price pre-supposes a more upmarket holiday experience than most of us are talking about here. It's perfectly easy to spend £500 or £5000 or a good deal more on a week's chalet holiday. In 10 minutes on-line you could readily find examples of a whole range, in a whole range of resorts. If you have an expensive basic package, in an expensive resort, then go out drinking in bars all night, it's not going to be cheap, is it?

Bit of a daft question really. How much do we all spend on our cars? Some of our cars costs thousands a month (including depreciation), others are old bangers, most are in between. Depends what you want, and what you can afford. Not rocket science.

Pam I think you've put into words what i was trying to get at!
Yes the Chalet was great but i just think it was too expensive - i just want some where clean and half decent food I dont need or want every conceivable mod con! I go to ski!
So what should I be paying?
latest report
marksovereign wrote:
The topic has come up again in conversation - next years Ski holiday(s) where , when how much !
A group of us went in a fully catered chalet ( Absolute Ski) in St Anton this year beginning of Feb - Great holiday but it was expensive ( i think) about £1700 each inc flights, llft passes etc. Ok the Euro's on its Ass but we also got raped in Meribel the previous year in fact that experience put us off France because they were taking the p@ss particularly in the bars £7 beer etc.
My question is simple - what is everyone else paying /prepared to pay ? Has anyone got any recommendations for a decent chalet ,ski in pref in France/ Austria with a decent ski area and fairly high which isnt going to break the bank. I want a bit of Ammo when people are saying £1700 is the going rate - ive already made it clear I wont pay that much again. Id love to hear what you all think
Do you get a better deal waiting for the late deal ??? or do you book early??
Cheers
Mark
Ps isnt i great when all of a sudden its time to think about it again

Ski-vacation quality, like all goods and services, is tiered by price.

From the UK to the European Alps, one-week per-person of travel + transfer + acc + liftpass should be roughly:

Ultra-low = Under £500;
Low-end = £501 - £999;
Mid-range = £1000 - 1500;
High-end = £1501 - £1999;
Premium = £2000 - £5000;
Ultra-Premium = £5000+.

About 95%+ of vacations are gonna be under £2000 pppw.
snow conditions
Whatever it takes.
ski holidays
St Anton season Pass 2010/11 this season is very long 26th November to 1st May (157Days)

The skiing will only costs €4.52 per day, really not bad value

Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Whitegold wrote:

Ultra-low = Under £500;
Low-end = £501 - £999;
Mid-range = £1000 - 1500;
High-end = £1501 - £1999;
Premium = £2000 - £5000;
Ultra-Premium = £5000+.

Ultra-low for the win. I don't think I've ever even crept into "low-end", except maybe fractionally.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio,
Quote:

Ultra-low for the win

Puzzled
It depends on how you compute these things, which is what makes this sort of thread a bit pointless anyway. Not very logically, I throw everything in to my total holiday cost, including all food, all the cash I've spent (irrespective of what I've spent it on) in resort, car parking in the UK and so on, nor do I make allowance for what I would anyway have spent had I stayed at home. I've always been in mid-range on this basis, but then I am not interested in the oneupmanship of being seen to spend the least, or the most, possible.
latest report
With the exception of heli trips and maybe access to some very good guides who know some genuine secret spots ( which personally I doubt) you don't actually get better skiing conditions at the ultra premium end compared to the ultra low budget so evrything else is about how much pampering and convenience you want/need.
latest report
First week of Feb, non school holidays, La Tania.

2 adults, 1 child, 1 baby.

£2400 for all of us, including flights, transfers, chalet, half board, day time child care for both, 2 adult courchevel valley lift pass, ski hire.
snow conditions
snowscreen wrote:
Just booked for end of January 2011, Morzine - £575 catered, chalet with hot tub + sauna, free beer and wine till 11pm. Price includes flights, transfers, accomodation, catered, lift pass.
Got own equipment. Never normally book this early but it's always down to me to sort and I couldnt be bothered with the stress this year

Snowscreen, can I be nosey and ask whether this was booked through a TO or if you specced it up yourself? The idea of a chalet with sauna and hot tub at that price is very tempting??

Nick
snow conditions
Wayne, I sympathize. On your ad, you should say that anyone cutting and pasting anything off natives, or mis-spelling the name of the resort, gets chucked straight in the bin. Reading application forms, it's always so obvious when people have standard blurbs they put on every application, and have given no thought at all to the application in hand.

Kids today. rolling eyes My daughter is a teacher - gave a geography assignment last year sometime, specifically telling all the kids that anything cut and pasted off the internet would be an instant fail. some of the so-called brightest kids in the class still did it. Beautifully "presented" (ie clever computer skills and nice equipment at home) but duly failed. One little lass who had tried very hard and dun it in her own pawly speld wurds, and put sum thort into it, got a good mark.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Wayne, I sympathize. On your ad, you should say that anyone cutting and pasting anything off natives, or mis-spelling the name of the resort, gets chucked straight in the bin. .

It does on various pages on the application form. Not in so many words "will get binned" but it specifically says " do not cut and paste".
Oh well, done now. Read diligently though em all, and offered 30 an interview.

Interviews in a few weeks, may not be as malicious as last year (or may be?? Toofy Grin )
Last year took em all out to a club in Manchester even gave em some cash for drinks “after reminding them that the interview was still running”. At midnight gave them a letter saying that the Flight from *** airport had been changed, so it will land in the hotel car park at 5am and they were tasked for transfers. At 5:05am they sat down to a maths test. We most of em did – the ones that got out of bed, saying no more.
ski holidays
Hurtle, "for the win" is just a neologism meaning "this is my preference".
ski holidays
Wayne, that sounds like an excellent job-related selection procedure. The ones that get through are probably pretty good!
snow report
Wayne, Excellent interview. Does it result in more focussed staff?
snow report
Boredsurfing,
Who knows. We tend to get the right people for the job. "The Job" being working for us, using our methods not other companies. Note to anyone going for a job as a rep (or any job for that matter). If you are told the interview last from## to ## then between those time you are being interviewed, even if you're not being asked questions. We want to give you a job, but if you give us a reason not to, then we'll give it to someone else.

Anyway, back on topic. Just booked to Val D'I (it's in France, the space between the end of the Euro Tunnel and the start il traforo del Monte Bianco) in Nov - £700 inc hotel, flight, meals but plus lift pass and course fees.
Not too bad, seems OK to me. Very Happy
ski holidays
Wayne, your interview techniques are more interesting than this thread. wink
latest report
pam w, hear hear!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy