Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long, gentle and smooth to bolster a frail confidence

Poster: A snowHead
There are butterflies in La Plagne.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SMALLZOOKEEPER, as soft and gentle as a sigh?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm so ancient I don't remeber being a 3 week skier but would reccomend staying in Plagne Soleil or Belle Plagne for beginners particularly outside of the school holidays as it has lots of blues and greens and bars and restaurants the accommodation is virtually all piste side and as the name suggests gets more than it's fair share of sunshine, so important when one is learning. Similarly the transport connections are very good so that having skied down there are always several options for transport home again! Another major benefit of a large French resort is as confidence develops slightly more challenging slopes are easily found and the ski schools have instructors who speak very good English and even the Esf have increasing numbers of British instructors. Although I haven't used them for several years Oxygene continue to attract good reviews and I met several instructors who have English as their mother tongue last season.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 13-08-10 13:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh yes and this was the crowded slopes of La Plagne on Sunday February 14th this year.

Pic taken from a chairlift that passes over one of the Plagne Centre beginner areas.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boredsurfing, Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I think the solution might be to find someone as nervous as my OH and they can go off and have their Eureka moment together

Hence the LDA week being organised by Butterfly snowHead

Its a nice idea but I don't get enough holiday as it is and my OH would be very unlikely to let me use up two weeks worth for skiing Sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kosciosco, I think there are two separate weeks - you don't have to do two weeks. And there's some fantastic skiing at LDA and La Grave for you, and you'd have company and could share guides etc if you wished. I get the impression that several of the "nervous" skiers have partners who aren't. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kosciosco, I think there are two separate weeks - you don't have to do two weeks. And there's some fantastic skiing at LDA and La Grave for you, and you'd have company and could share guides etc if you wished. I get the impression that several of the "nervous" skiers have partners who aren't. wink If you PM butterfly you'll get all the details.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Courchevel 1850. Les Saisies, too,

seconded.....Les Saisies would prob be cheaper and less busy option that Courchevel, but you'd have to DIY the holiday....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would second Alpe d'Huez
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would first La Plagne.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Yep La Plagne first.

Time for another La Plagne pic.

The descent to Bellecote from Belle Plagne snowHead
Taken on Monday 15th February this year.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another view on Sunday snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing, what are those hundreds of ant like people shapes in the bottom of the pic around Plagne centre Wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kosciosco, don't forget that an added bonus of La Plagne is the beautiful architecture. You can see that in one of Boredsurfing's pictures.wink
latest report
Hurtle, Hey, don't get me wrong, I loved La Plagne, just the OH and I also love all that retro architecture, Arc 2000 is my very favourite looking resort, much better than the resorts with no plan whatsoever, eg Meribel, Courchevel 1850, etc

pam w, I didn't mean I would spend two week's on Butterfly's course, I meant that if I did that week, I might not get another one
ski holidays
kosciosco, well you could do a lot worse if you only get one week. At that time of year snow cover should be excellent and I guess the La Grave area could be at its best. There should be some good skiers to hang out with and you wouldn't have to feel guilty about the OH because she'd be having a ball, getting excellent tuition and discovering, quite probably, that there are people even more nervous and apprehensive than herself.
snow report
having read all these reviews about nervous skiers thought i would share my experience with you, my first time ski holiday was in lapland where on the 3rd day ever being on skis i totally ruptured my cruicate ligament - not a good start spent the rest of the holiday in hospital, after a recontruction and a year of rehab decided to have another go (didn't want it to beat me) i went to Kranjska Gora quiet slopes and some good instruction, but i am still as nervous as hell for me one of the most important things is to have uncrowded slopes, this year i am trying Austia, again what is suppose to be a nice quiet area (Niederau) i am more nervous this year than last, but as i love the whole ski thing will just take it in my own time its about enjoying your holiday not scaring yourself to death Laughing Laughing
snow report
Another vote for Cervinia, Italy, most of the runs are like motorways, very wide, very gentle, but can be prone to bad weather as so high, and no trees to beak the wind, but for confidence boosting I found it a dream come true (just avoid the odd ancient chair lift, they take a bit of getting use to) Shocked
snow conditions
debski, good luck with your next trip. Take local advice about when the slopes will be least crowded - sometimes there are local holidays which can mean normally uncrowded places get busy. I agree that having too many people round you is very unsettling.
snow report
debski, couldn't agree more! Smile
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
Boredsurfing, what are those hundreds of ant like people shapes in the bottom of the pic around Plagne centre Wink

It's not La Plagne centre it's Bellecote snowHead
They are mainly French and heading back to their appartments for a 3 hour lunch break Laughing
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
kosciosco, don't forget that an added bonus of La Plagne is the beautiful architecture. You can see that in one of Boredsurfing's pictures.wink

Hurtle quite and that architecture has along with Aime 2000 been given the French equivalent of Grade 1 Listed building status, not only because of it's architecture but also because of it's place in modern French socio-economic history.
A little light reading around the subject if you wish http://www.fondation-facim.fr

I guess The Barbican, The South bank and Battersea power station in London are now subject to conservation orders as well, but only for their architecture wink
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, no accounting for tastes, though I do agree that certain buildings, whatever their aesthetic appeal, need to be preserved for historical reasons (the brutalist Soviet architecture in St Petersburg springs to mind). For the (aesthetic) record, I think both the Barbican and the SBC are hideous - and have worn very badly - but Battersea Power Station does not deserve to languish in its current state, it was beautiful and could be again.

Your post spurred me to Google around HLM and the like: I was amused by this, in wikipedia:
Quote:
Architecturally-speaking, the acronym HLM has almost become synonymous with the image of an unglamorous and unsightly concrete highrise block
ski holidays
Hurtle, Time for a photo,

We were gazing across here last week, the Red Club Med building makes quite a contrast to the now protected and historic Aime 2000 building snowHead
ski holidays
As with most things....a better view from the Montalbert side wink

latest report
I like the two ESF instructors in the foreground. Nice touch.
latest report
paulio, Laughing

Boredsurfing, the Club Med building is a particular blot on the landscape Confused Maybe less so in the snow?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
debski, spot on!

Niederau is just what you need & you can make it even better by adjusting your timing...

... instead of lunch, take elevenses and then have an early tea or vin chaud in the afternoon, so you're enjoying empty slopes while the rest queue for their lunch and their fraught service from harrased staff

its amazing how much your day on the hill changes, when you do the opposite of everyone else - swim against the tide, thats what I say!
ski holidays
La Grave.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy