Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long, gentle and smooth to bolster a frail confidence

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for some advice please, Mrs Bluebull is a..erm..let say a very timid nervous third week skier.
We are looking for a resort where she can have quality instruction in the morning and then we plan to ski together in the afternoon. She is looking for long gentle easy cruises, but away from the nursery slopes to build her confidence.
Advice much appreciated, and European reorts only please.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Corvara
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I changed it to Colfosco as my wife just reminded me that the blue run , is it 8 , coming into Corvara can be a bit hairy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My first thought was top end of the Sella Ronda. Cervinia might also fit the bill. Pila? Italy for sure!

snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Courchevel 1850. Les Saisies, too, though depending on what you mean by "quality instruction" that could be more difficult as group lessons are in French. Good value private lessons, though, and incredibly uncrowded slopes out of holiday times.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cervinia has that sort of terrain, I'm not aware of instruction there though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2nd vote for Cervinia, 90% of the Cervinia side is intermediate cruiser paradise, and there's enough steep stuff to keep you amused in the mornings. Zermatt side also available for more fast cruisers not far from the main cable. The town is compact, friendly and, compared to France, hilariously cheap.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If money of no concern: Megeve
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe megeve with Simon Butler, for the instruction?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, we were thinking private lessons
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
La Plagne
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How about Flaine?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bluebull, private lessons in Italy around 1/2 or 2/3 of the price in France. I don't have a particular recommendation for a coach, but there are plenty there and you'll get one with very good English with a private lesson (which is by no means guaranteed with the group bookings).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How about this trip ?? Excellent instruction aimed specifically at the less-than-confident skiier.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 9-08-10 13:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
La Plagne
snow report
Cervinia 3rd-ed. A million kilometres of nearly flat runs that are amusingly regarded as "red".
latest report
La Plagne
snow report
bluebull, for private lessons in a gentle beginners spot, go for Megeve Mike in, erm, Megeve

Just google "megeve mike" and you can't miss him - local legend owns Ski Pros Megeve and best alpine 'stache for 10 years running - he's American with Belgian parents so you get genuine English speaker plus French as a native (if you can have 2 first languages, Mike does).
Nice bonus with Mike is hanging out in the nicer French spots, as Mike's a proper local and a proper gent too.

He's also one of the most experienced instructors around and has the most calming and "grown-up" demeanour - perfect for a super nervouse spouse, who you'd really like to catch the snow bug!

Megeve is not cheap (some call it the St Moritz of France) but you can get really good value ski holidays there, no problem.
Mike's usually only too happy to help you with local accom advice for free, if you're booking lessons with him.

Always take his lunch advice - he is a gastronome and bon viveur of the old school and will show you the real gems around his mountains - wine him and dine him according to your budget and preferances - unlike many who see it only as a day job, Mike will take the odd evening out with you if you'd like special treatment in the most authentic places.

For a stylish ski resort and a local guide who's a genuine class act... Megeve and Mike without question

(if you call him, say hello from SNOman)
snow report
Try La Plagne
ski holidays
As much as like parts of La Plagne I think it suffers from being a bit too like the M25 - busy and crowded. It might terrify Mr Bluebull.

Serre Chevalier esp. Monetier is quiet and has plenty of wide runs with reds like blues and blues like greens. There is also a British ski instructor there who has a good rep - Gavin Crosby (eurekaski I think). A quick trawl of this site and you should find his details somewhere. January is also a nice quiet time and if this season is anything to go by well stocked with snow and plenty of sunshine.
latest report
La Plagne is good, try that.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, many thanks
ski holidays
bluebull, snowHead When you going, January is a dream. Half term is a nightmare, I skied 1 piste and ran home to the safety of Cham.
snow report
Mid January
ski holidays
bluebull, Perfect, damn near as good as skiing gets there in January. Perfect place to cruise, practice speed and even a dip in the powder. Enjoy.
ski holidays
If you go to la plagne stay in the centre of the resort. The run down to les coches/montchavin was quite icy when we went.

I would recommend going to Les Arcs and staying in Arc 1800. There are some nice blues in that part and also some easier reds.
ski holidays
bluebull, Alternatively take the lift straight to the top of Bellcote and come hurtling down after a few Vin Chauds. That's how I learned. Was removed from the piste for my own safety though!!!! hahah those were the days.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, not me but mrs bluebull, i'm afraid if i go down that route i will be returning on my own
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bluebull, C'mon, we all make mistakes when reading Piste maps. Toofy Grin
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
ajl wrote:
As much as like parts of La Plagne I think it suffers from being a bit too like the M25 - busy and crowded. It might terrify Mr Bluebull.

Serre Chevalier esp. Monetier is quiet and has plenty of wide runs with reds like blues and blues like greens. There is also a British ski instructor there who has a good rep - Gavin Crosby (eurekaski I think). A quick trawl of this site and you should find his details somewhere. January is also a nice quiet time and if this season is anything to go by well stocked with snow and plenty of sunshine.

Gavin and Eurekaski have now become New Generation.
snow conditions
Another Cervinia vote. It made me into a far more confident skier and I got to clock up miles that just wouldn't have happened elsewhere at the same stage. Just wish I'd gone earlier in my ski career!
snow report
Saalbach, or maybe the main part of the Ski Welt.
ski holidays
for something different - how about Lech.. especially staying in Oberlech - lots of lovely cruising blues and almost impossible to get lost...
snow report
Quote:

private lessons in Italy around 1/2 or 2/3 of the price in France

I wonder if that's true, or just another of those generalisations which don't survive careful scrutiny. Prices in France vary, and no doubt prices in Italy vary too. A bit of googling suggests that private lessons in Cervinia (according to skisnowboard.com) are quite a lot more expensive than they are here - 44 euros for 2 people for an hour, for example, compared to 30 here).

The suggested week in LDA is an excellent idea - for more confident spouses, too. Although private lessons with the right instructor should obviously be hugely helpful, being on your own with someone who is just effortlessly brilliant at skiing can be a bit intimidating - even if you're moderately competent and confident. For the learner, the company of other equally nervous skiers is very helpful - too often the nervous skier is used to being with much more confident people - and however helpful they are, it's bound to make people feel that they are the only ones struggling. Some mutual support and a bit of a giggle might be just what's needed.
snow conditions
bluebull, try Wengen in Switzerland, lots of nice gentle blue and easy red run in the area, if she gets really timid she can always meet you for lunch at almost every location on the slopes as they are virtually all accessible by either cablecar or train so she could walk to them, theres a Nursery slope in teh center of teh village to practise on as well
latest report
If you can cope with going to a resort that will result in most people going "eh? where?" then I'd recommend Valloire. It is linked to Valmeinier and both resorts have miles of lovely gentle greens and blues through the trees and along side valleys. I went there for my 2nd week with friends going for their 1st and we were able to travel around the 3 sectors and enjoy it. Downside is that I'm not sure there's any tuition other than ESF in town, and our ESF lessons were totally in French. http://flv.valloire.net/valloire/plans_interactifs/hiver/plan_pistes-uk.htm (We also went in January and it was quiet on the pistes but not dead in the town - they host a big ice sculpting competition there in January.)
snow conditions
bluebull, choose an appropriate instructor or a ski school first, then go to whatever resort they are based in. The vast majority of resorts will have terrain suitable for inexperienced skiers who are looking to improve their control and their confidence, but you might not be able to find a suitable instructor in every resort. The trip that Red Leon linked to would be a good option.
snow report
rob@rar, Solden wink

Alpe d'Huez is good for big wide confidence building blues at resort level
snow report
Thank you all, some very good suggestions
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy