Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First family holiday - help - Is it really that expensive?!?!?!?!

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar,
Think I'll bring this up at the AGM down your way -
I propose that BASI should introduce a washing up module (will you second it)
Oh and maybe hoovering as a second disp
See you at Hemel Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 10-08-10 8:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wayne, I have a dishwasher Laughing
I won't be at Hemel for the AGM ( Sad) as I'm in Tignes that weekend ( Happy)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
Wayne, I have a dishwasher Laughing
I won't be at Hemel for the AGM ( Sad) as I'm in Tignes that weekend ( Happy)

Can you sort out the curry before you go (bit disapointing last year)
(rob@rar - tell ya secret - please don't tell anyone else though – in my place in the Dolomites I have a dishwasher as well)

ooops - thread drift - slap hand.

TO v DIY grrrrrrrr Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wayne, Hemel is a catered venue, not a self-catered venue. Maybe DIY when you go there next to make sure food is up to standard?

wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar,
B R I L L I A N T
You and me, next week, dragons den.
We want £50k for product development to run DIY trips to Hemel.
(Is Gillski on the panel of dragons den)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wayne wrote:
shortfat007,
Hi

3 bit of advice.

*One bit of snow is the same as the next at your level. Pick somewhere you like the look of in a brochure/website/etc and go there. I would suggest Austria would be a good option, as the villages look just like you'd expect them to.

*Remember that you are also on holiday as well as the kids - so, unless you really like washing up don't go DIY, it's really not cheaper than going with a TO, what ever you hear on this forum - am waiting for shouts of indignation wink

*As long as you're not going at half term or New Year, it should not cost you more than around £650 to £690 per person (including ski school). Forget about how much adults pay and kids pay, just look at the total cost of the family. Try and get a holiday with everything is laid on for you in the price; flights, transfer, lift passes, ski school, equipment, child care (if needed), meals, etc, etc, etc.

Some more tips about skiing with young kids here

Last - remember it's a holiday, if you go there with an "I'm going to have fun attitude" you most likely will.

thanks Wayne, appreciated.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rayscoops, I think I said the same about 2 pages ago! Laughing Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Can you see a problem with this.

Yes, I much prefer self-catering. One option isn't better or worse than the other, it's just a matter of personal preference. When I was taking ski holidays one week at a time I found that I usually couldn't beat a TO price if I was staying in a hotel or catered chalet, but if I wanted self-catering accommodation it was cheaper to go DIY especially during school holidays.

The hassle factor has never been a factor for me, and I prefer to be in charge of my own arrangements rather than put entirely in the hands of the TO when it comes to things like choice of airports, departure times and transfer arrangements.

Wot Rob said, it isn't a hassle, and if I can't be bothered to cook dinner, I don't have to.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pamw
She enjoys pretending to ski in reality she shuffles around the kids area shouting at the penguins (pictures of not real ones!), but she feels grown up because she has ski boots and skis on and in her mind is skiing. The instructors have the kids play areoplanes and go down the slope and do a pizza (snowplough) at the end.

She is a tough but quite small 3 yr old and very confident and actually quite bossy, I appreciate it wouldn't be for every 3 year old, but since we have to be there anyway with our 7 yr old it makes sense for her to do it if she wants, but I dont think I'd make a trip there specially! Any if she doesn't want to do it I would never make her!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hells Bells wrote:
Wot Rob said, it isn't a hassle, and if I can't be bothered to cook dinner, I don't have to.

Baguette, cheese, red wine open, PJ's on, very relaxed. I can drift there quite happily now Cool
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fogliettaz wrote:
DIY,

2 bed apartment, £750.00 ish
Dover to Alps, £400.00 ish inc crossing and Tolls
2 adult lift passes, £250.00 ish
ski school x 2 £200.00 ish
food £150.00
meals out £150.00
Ski Hire £400.00
Less than £600.00 per head you can load the car with what you want no hassel in airports etc.

completely agree. And not as much hassell as you would think organising this yourself. Local tourist information offices are normally pretty good im my experience.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
you don't have to pay as much as £750 for a 2 bed apartment out of peak times.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:

Baguette, cheese, red wine open, PJ's on, very relaxed. I can drift there quite happily now Cool

Quite agree!

I've just got back and as Rob Rees said Les Arc looks good from Montalbert. Another bonus for renting Robs appartment .... from his balcony you can see mine Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
... as with everything its what you want and what you aspire to. You can always find cheaper options; one persons ideal solution is another persons nightmare. Every resort and every option will have pro's and con's. It's just like in ski teaching... someone will say to me one day its too sunny and the next day someone says to me its too cloudy... even if that person was the same ability. My advice would be to find the TYPE of holiday that suits you, decide HOW much you want to do yourself (e.g. self-drive or all inclusive), decide EXACTLY when you want to go as prices can vary massively from week to week and FINALLY how much space you want e.g. room to yourself or kids share. Put it in the blender and hunt for the best price based around that option after you weigh it all up personally. I know families that love driving even though it takes longer as the family spend time together in the car and take their time, stopping en-route to sight see; its a personal thing in the same way as ski choice is a personal thing.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We have been on 5 family ski holidays. Mixture of independent and Ski Esprit. Independents offer good value and give you a better service. Most will include airport transfers in the cost. Easyjet flights to Geneva, Lyon or Grenoble. £350 - 400 for family of 4 if booked early. Expect to pay £1200 - £1600 for a chalet for 4. Half-board is the norm. Add lift pass (cheaper to buy in resort) and ski hire (book online directly with shop before you go), ski lessons. Shouldn't cost more than £2500 - £3000.

Esprit were all late deals. Most of the people we met in Esprit chalets booked late. Including flights, have paid as little as £1100 for the whole week. Chuck in £800 - £1000 for passes, skis, lessons etc.

It is achievable. Booking it yourself and all the component parts separately using the web is a breeze. Or book late and head to La Rosiere with Esprit.
snow report
dont know whether you are sorted yet but i will add my tuppence worth.
i have done all sorts of ski trips some with family diy to France.
this year with a 5 yo (never skied)and 8 yo (skied twice) i have decided to go for a smaller resort with good child care/ entertainment, not that i plan to use it but would be handy to have the option.
we are going early end of Jan start of Feb to hotel funimation in Katschberg, Austria. It has several pools kids play land etc (check out the facilities) and it is almost all inclusive cost is 2000 euro then Jet2 flights from Manchester to Salzburg for £700.
I am normally tight as a ducks **** but for this year have decided that to get the kids really hooked i would push the boat out and reign myself in, hence the smallish ski area.
check it out and see what you think.

PS only an hour from Salzburg to village.
ski holidays
This topic is a bit of a revelation for me. I thought £5k sounded ok. I calculated my last 6 days on the slopes cost just a tad over £250 per day. Mind you that did include beer tickets.

It's great to hear everyone's tips on getting a good deal. Must try harder to get a better deal this season.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy