Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Race training for adults in UK

Poster: A snowHead
Well, I went!
A very enjoyable and useful morning at Castleford, only two hours but I learned more than I have in the past year. Friendly bunch of people (including spyderjon of course!), you could see they were having fun. The instructor coaching the advanced group is an excellent skier, it was quite amazing to see him carving up (down?) GS gates.
I got a lot closer to taming my new Rossi 9S skis. Spent most of the time with my buckles undone, after a couple of wobbly runs managed to get in a few decent turns.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MartinH, snowHead

Down here in the south we had our first 'regional' race of the summer. Remembered skis, sticks, waxing bench, tools, helmet, lunch.

Forgot boots........... Embarassed
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ski, Did you use hire boots? (yuck)
It's one of these things you do without thinking, like replacing the petrol cap or locking the door. I had a few music students turning up to exams without instruments or books.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any Snowheads fancy putting together a team to race in our series (we don't do training though):
Kings Ski Club
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MartinH, no....didn't see the point, wouldn't be able to ski as well/at all. Kept myself busy sharpening and waxing club members skis wink

We got a gold in the Ladies Vets (out of two entries), and our other Lady (a Senior) got a gold as part of the fun dual slalom event...so not a bad day in the end. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MartinH, So is it just the "recreational" instruction in the morning sessions and race training on Monday nights?

I'd like to join in, but would be concerned to make sure I was with the right group.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill,
There were all standards on Sunday, race team were busy practising for a selection later on, so I'm not sure what happens 'normally'. I don't know about Mondays.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sherlock Chalets, Aren't we a bit late for this year ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Start thinking about next season - Natives took a while to get off the ground with a team but were at the top of the points in the London & Southern League this year.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski, Was that at Southampton? I always loved that day out, and it always seemed to be sunny and warm. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, This one was at Chatham - you were right about the weather though ! snowHead snowHead

Sherlock Chalets, ok - I'm always up for a bit of racing ! Toofy Grin - anyone else ? Puzzled
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marc gledhill, The last couple of Sundays have been the usual 'recreational instruction' as you describe it but the race training has been on hold due to the training drills they were doing for the squad trials. However, I believe the normal Sunday race training schedule will resume next week.

The Monday evening session is race training only. I went for the second time last night & it was great fun - although my right hand is still a bit sore from a heavy fall. The majority are teenage kids & there is only one 'group' all doing the same drills, irrespective of ability level. However, the instructor feedback is then different for each person.

You ought to try it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon, sounds like a plan Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, do you know if they're meeting this Sunday. It isn't shown on their site, and it's a Bank Hol of course.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marc gledhill, I'm 90% certain that they are, although I won't be there myself as I'm doing an ASSI orientation session in the afternoon. I'm not at all sure about Mon evening as again it's Bank Holiday. I won't be at that one either as I'm not at work at Harewood.
You could try emailing Graham Beck via the web site to confirm.
ski holidays
After reading this thread, and Mark Hunter's linked to by Ray Zorro I appear to have joined the race team at Aldershot. Pretty good fun, and they don't seem too high-powered (which suits me fine) - although it's never going to compete with being in the mountains. As mentioned by several above it seems as if plastic is pretty ruthless in revealing deficiencies in your technique, but there are indications that it'll come together before too long. After having bought new skis this year with the reasoning I'd never need them for racing, it looks like I may be after some slalom skis before too long rolling eyes .

easiski wrote:
...it can't possibly hurt...
Puzzled
(last week's bruises have not yet gone - and the hand guards were searched out v quickly after the first verticale run today)
latest report
GrahamN, When are the trainindg sessions at Aldershot ?
Puzzled
snow conditions
ski, 8.00-9.30 each Saturday a.m. (after which there's a session for the kids), and there seems to be a more ad hoc session on Wednesday eves about 8 p.m. (although not necessarily every week)
ski holidays
GrahamN, Thanks - may have a new job in Aldershot..so Weds pm sounds good.
snow conditions
ski, If you go to Aldershot let me know - my old stamping ground, and a good excuse for popping over to visit!!
ski holidays
Is there any race training activities at Bracknell slope? It's my nearest dry slope and might be tempted to give it a try.
snow report
easiski, I will... just waiting on the new job....
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, it would appear so from http://www.bracknellskislope.co.uk/skiracing.php . The other one to look at may be High Wycombe, which has a 300m long slope.
snow report
GrahamN, thanks for the link. Might give it a try (although will need to retreive a pair of ski boots from France before I ski there!).

Any snowHeads visit Bracknell?
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, Very nice slope and big. Has a chairlift, beginner slope and mogul slope (or used to). When they opened they paid more than most and got really good staff. Some of this may be a bit out of date though. My impression is that although no as long as High Wycombe it's wider.

GrahamN, are you sure about the 300m? That would put it on a par with Hillend and it's not that big. could it be the total length of all the slopes added together??? Confused
snow conditions
HW is very long - but the bottom is very flat, and often perfumed with the smell of burning skis.... rolling eyes Why not go to both ?
ski holidays
Don't like High Wycombe much. You either have to schuss the bottom half of the slope, or you have a looong walk at the bottom. At least it feels long. When on a short slope, additional time spent neither going up nor down always feels wasted. And then there's the flattish bit at the top resulting in the true useable length of the slope probably being nearer 150m rather than the 300m which I'd guess is measured from beginning of rather copious matting to the end of it. 300m of mat rather than 300m of useable slope. I'd rather have a 150m slope and cut out the flat at the top and walk at the bottom.

Have been to Bracknell a few times. Nice wide slope with chairlift and good incline and no walking. Around 150m?Too far for me to use regularly now though. Probably the best I've been on south of Sheffield (which I think might be the best in the UK? when I went (once) to Hillend the matting was sooo worn and lifting in many places).
snow conditions
spyderjon, MartinH, Russell,

So, have you been going along to the Lions sessions on Sundays and/or Mondays? I'm really keen to start coming along but I am currently mid-dissertation that's due in on 25th August so wouldn't be before then.

Would love to hear how you're getting on!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1, I done a few of both sessions. I work in Leeds most Monday's so I've tended to do the Mon evenings on my way home. Apart from a recent Sunday morning with rockyrobin I haven't been for a while - hopefully will be getting back to it soon.

There doesn't seem to be much of a formal training programme going on but the last couple of Mon sessions I did was around the time of the Yorkshire trials which seemed to affect events somewhat.

I'm planning on going again next Mon (25th) so I'll let you know more after then.
latest report
what sort of standard was the race training on monday nights, and how many adults were there?
snow report
beanie1, I haven't been to a session yet was unable to go last Sunday due to things clashing I hope to go on the 31st July or the 14th of August I can only make every other Sunday.
ski holidays
beanie1, On Mon nights there's only race training & their instructor training. The racers are virtually all teenagers plus a few old duffers like me (mid 40's). Min standard of attendance is the ability to make competent parallel turns on a red piste. Helmets are compulsory - which Xscape provide foc.

Like I said I'll let you know more about the training programme after I've been next week (hopefully).
snow report
thanks!
snow report
I am getting back into the Monday Night scene now, and a few RAF adults should be coming along on a weekly basis from now on.
snow report
paulhothersall,

what sort of things do you do on the monday nights?

oh, nearly at 200 posts!!
snow report
paulhothersall, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
kuwait_ian, thanks for that.

beanie1, There is usually at least a gates course put up, and at least 1 instructor or coach to go through out of gates training as well. I have not been skiing for 6 months, due to a knackered knee from January, so am not sure what has gone on in the meantime.

Personally I am trying to make the most of the time over the next few weeks to get back into gates before the 20/21 August races, having found that atempting to go straight back into racing is not that sucessful! After that I will be able to spend a lot more of my time coaching.
latest report
paulhothersall,

Oh right - so are you one of the coaches for Lions then?
snow report
paulhothersall wrote:

beanie1, There is usually at least a gates course put up, and at least 1 instructor or coach to go through out of gates training as well. I have not been skiing for 6 months, due to a knackered knee from January, so am not sure what has gone on in the meantime.

There were slightly fewer kids than usual on Monday, the format was the same as it has been for the last few months
though.

There were a few more adults than spyderjon seems to have noticed on those weeks that he was there.
latest report
rjs, is that you Rob?

beanie1, Yes I am a coach, although with other stuff and injury I have not been around at lions really this year. Work has also a bit of a pain for me to get accross from on a Monday in the past.

As I said before I will be being quite selfish and concentrating on gate skiing for the next few weeks for myself, but after that coaching. i am really quite keen for people to start following tailored programmes specific for their skiing, [not that I am saying the same drills for all are bad], just that with another coach it makes it easier to work in more detail with each person. It also makes it possible to have week on week pull through if you are with the same people for a while. It depends on what individuals want to achieve, as "race training" is really advanced skiing coaching along with the whole ski gates thing.

If you are up in the meantime come up and say hello, [i will be the glasses wearing one, red salomon race boots and Dynastar 63 omeglass skis)

]
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy