Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Career gap ski instructor planning - advice / guidance / thoughts and suggestions welcome

Poster: A snowHead
Just had a look at the start of the ISTD video and that was one of the videos I'd seen last night when I was looking for some ISIA ones.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimottaret, by the way I'm not surprised that some people find the ISTD Technical tougher than the Eurotest, or a different kind of tough, anyway.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
In bumps.....the real 'they pass' one is tipping
This is where you actively tip the ski downward as you go over the bump so the front of the ski maintains snow contact and hence can steer effectively
For most people it feels like pulling your feet back up underneath you.

Ha! That sounds familiar skimottaret/rob&rar Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cathy, glad you remember! it is a good thing to work on...

VolklAttivaS5, personally speaking i found the jump from L2 to L3 is a lot lot bigger than 1 to 2. at L3 you need to have precision in your skiing and be able to easily switch styles and demo new tasks that show you have a complete skills set. good sound skiing isnt enough.. for instance could you make 5 short turns using a cross under transition followed by 5 with cross over then 5 by cross through? Did you feel you were one of the best skiers in your L2 group? can you high speed GS small bump fields and chopped up powder? can you absolutely hammer a rut line on a blue pitch without coming out? Is your fitness good enough to not get injured over a two week intensive course?

early in the season after my L2 took a general ISIA training course and wasnt near the standard but i took and passed my Mountain safety and coaches course. for about 18 months after my L2 i did at least an hour personal performance in the snow domes several times a week and tried to master as many drills as i could and passed my coach course first time which was really tough... Did common theory which i actually thought was a pretty good course baring a few things, took another general ISIA training course and then a weeks bumps course with mainly ISTD candidates just to get near to standard before sitting the Tech. I took the teach first and was absolutely shattered at the end of the teach which surprised me and then went straight on the tech which i passed reasonably comfortably, without the training and 4 months in the gym i wouldn't have stood a chance and yet still picked up a minor injury... 3 weeks of basi wiped my out for a good month....

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=64111#1521151 is video of two ISIA level skiers making short turns....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They are supposed not to do rut line stuff any more
They did some cross comparison stuff with the French guys who said ...
... Cue corny french accent ...
"Why do you ski ze rut line, you would not make your clients ski a rut line"

Whether there is any truth in this, you'd have to ask someone whose done an ISTD Tech recently !
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alan McGregor, defo no rut lines in the L3 tech i just mention as a good measure to see if your ready
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
Great that you feel you can take this break. I have many friends who work as lawyers in the City who would love to do the same sort of thing, but simply daren't. Sad

is that because of the current climate or because they are scared to break the norm?

i took 6 months out from being a city lawyer to go skiing a few years back and it certainly doesn't get looked upon as a negative thing IME (although I do take the attitude that an employer thay views it as a negative thing is probably not the employer for me)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret, are you asking me those questions or anyone? I haven't done the L2 course anyway. I thought it would be good for people to see some video though so they can see what ISIA level skiing looks like for themselves. Often videos speak louder than words, especially as words can be interpreted differently by different people.

I think most people find the difference between L2 and ISIA much bigger than the difference between L1 and L2 from what I've heard.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, here is video of an ISTD tech exam taken by a BASI trainer
http://youtube.com/v/noDNnerNbpk

doesnt say how many, if any, passed but if they rocked up they musta thought they were ready.

L4 technical is a very demanding week from what i hear especially the bumps rut line. a couple guys i have trained with who had passed the eurotest thought the tech was tougher.

I've no idea who any of them were, but I'd hazzard a guess that all in black with light coloured boots would deffo have passed, blue jacket and light bobble hat probably passed, blue trousers, grey top and all in black with dark boots deffo fail. I could be way out (probably am), but those were the only two I can really compare with the other recent ISTDs that I know. Guy in black with light boots was really good!!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
VolklAttivaS5, more of a rhetorical ? but i had assumed from your posts you were interested in ISIA exams and thought you where an L2 soz..
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, nah, no L2 here. I did the L1in summer 2008, but from Jan 2009 I had applied to uni to start in Sept 2009, so doing the L2 fell by the wayside really what with having plenty of other things going on, and the cost involved of course. I tended to use the money I could have spent on L2 (probably about £2k by time you've added course fee, 2 weeks lift pass, 2 weeks accomodation and food plus a bit of spending money) on skiing trips instead when I had the time off uni to go.

Might carry on with it at a later date though, never say never.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, I dont know 100% but im told 1 person passed from the group.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Alan, hope yous well. When i did my CSIA 3, got severely beaten up by the coaches for skiing the rut-line (thought i was being clever lol). Said i would fail if i did it in the assessment......In the real world they asked me how many clients would i expect to teach skiing rut-lines?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dunk, just had a look at that clip you posted of the ISIA training but all the way through. There is a marked improvement from the beginning to about 1.30 in on the bumps, his arms and upper body are a lot quieter later on for one thing. Not so good again in the last bit of bumps though, before the pencil lines test. I don't know what I'm talking about though.

Has he gone on to get his ISIA now since it was video taken in Nov 2009?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
VolklAttivaS5, I do not know, but would guess not. I met him in Dec 09 on a course (APC 1) , I do not think he was ISIA standard then.
latest report
What's a rut line?
snow report
Dunk, that's only a month later so probably not.
snow report
boardiac, the rut line is the gulley / valleys between the bumps. It looks quite cool to ski the rut line, but you have to be very flexible and quick footed. I'd say there's more skill involved taking a rounder line over the top of the bumps.
snow report
In terms of BASI courses, a rut line is as beanie1 describes, but made infinitely worse by the whole group repeatedly skiing it !
It becomes this inescapable groove with cliff like drops in it.
My comments actualy refered to the Level 4 ISTD Technical.
You will definitely be expected to ski the fall line in bumps on a Level 3 ISIA
I would have thought you would be expected to do this on a Level 2 as well, just not as big bumps, or a little slower
After all, this is the best way to ski bumps and you would expect to be trying to teach a parallel skier how to do this.
(Hi GreyCat, still trying to get paid by Skiing Europe !)
latest report
To add to Alan McGregor's comments, the difference between L3 and L4 bumps is not only in level of skill, but also on steepness of pitch. For L3 it's roughly a red run pitch, and L4 a black run.
ski holidays
This is how to ski bumps
http://youtube.com/v/ZeCnXIB60RM

His missus is pretty hot as well....

http://www.natives.co.uk/news/2006/03/chamjam/kimplakec600.jpg
latest report
How was the skiing at HH?
latest report
beanie1 wrote:
To add to Alan McGregor's comments, the difference between L3 and L4 bumps is not only in level of skill, but also on steepness of pitch. For L3 it's roughly a red run pitch, and L4 a black run.

Quite right. However Level 4 bumps you will be expected to show versatility e.g. a direct line through the troughs, a rounded 'steered' line around the bumps as well as a more direct line absorbing the bumps and of course to show the ability to blend it all together in a game of cat and mouse (for example) in the bumps. If you can do all that then they may ask you to ollie a couple of moguls (for good measures) and then get back in the fall line... the wording they sometimes use is 'instructors being inspirational to other instructors!'
snow conditions
jjc, That would be the guy dressed inblack with the light boots then. He looked like an ISTD! Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy