Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skins

Poster: A snowHead
Help! I'm a little clueless as to what size skins I'll need. My skis are 136 at the widest point. Will 130 skins do? Are there any brands worth splashing out on or avoiding totally? snowHead

Is it winter yet?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
130 will be fine
All other things being equal I'd go for colltex skins but I've had black diamond, G3 and pomoca skins and the only ones I'd avoid in future would be the pomocas
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use colltex aswell and find them to be excellent for the kind of access touring on fats, 130 be about right so your edges aren't covered in skin...making for some interesting situations!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another vote for colltex.
Dont know if skiservice in verbier do it but in Cham you can get them cut to size off a roll, incl the 5mm gap at the edges.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
here ye go.
http://www.departmentofgoods.com/sales/G3-Alpinist-SE-Climbing-Skin/GGG0158M.html?CMP_SKU=GGG0158&MER=0406&mr:trackingCode=3FEAFEEB-8A63-DF11-9DA0-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA&avad=11193_bc4a7b7
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
130 should be fine, you need your edges exposed anyway. I've only used Black Diamond, but they've been great so far.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys, 130 it is! I've got a while before I need them so I'll have a shop around and try to get some Colltex ones. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have Black Diamond ones and they seem to do the job very well!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How sticky should they be ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
david@mediacopy wrote:
How sticky should they be ?

Having your skins come off in a dodgy situation = seriously bad news.

Skins with excess glue and repairs will be heavy.

Skins can easily be re-glued but it's worth getting an expert to do it - removing old glue is nasty, getting a neat job done is much easier with experience. Pay for it.

How sticky? How long is a pair of skis? The reason people love the Colltex skins is because the glue is amazing, it's so easy to pull off the ski base but it stays on the ski in every situation.OTOH I've had other skins that are in good condition but take two people to pull them off the skis.

Maybe as rule of thumb: if you have old skins I would expect that it would take some effort to pull the skins off the ski. If they come off very easy they probably need some more glue or re-gluing. Temperature will effect the glue.

Use skin savers. Yes they take a little bit of extra time to put them away but they do save the glue. Your cool friends will laugh at you for using them. Don't use one saver for both skins, if you only have one length that fits the ski, cut it in half. Colltex skins (and probably other skins of the future) will become inseparable if you stick them on themselves.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CSki wrote:
Thanks guys, 130 it is! I've got a while before I need them so I'll have a shop around and try to get some Colltex ones. Madeye-Smiley

If you're hanging fire for a while, check back with these dudes before you buy

www.clipskins.com.

I'm hoping they will be the bollox, though probably a while off. They are doing active testing, having signed up a squad of volunteers (US). I will pay big bucks for these if they work out - I hate fannying about with skins both in use and in maintenance, refreshment etc.

skinning up on a 130, that's proper 'core Cool , fair dues
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Personally, I rock BCA skins.

Not the lightest in the world but they just seem to suit me in terms of grip, have ace glue and the best tip/tail fixings IMHO - just simple metal loops attached by rubber to the skin: Personally not a fan of BD skins at all - the tail clip mangles twin-tips like nobody's business.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Are there any Skin Re-Gluing experts out there wanting to earn a few quid ?
I screwed my skins big time this year at the Maria Luisa hut Leaving the skins and or ski's to close to a Radiator in the morning I think,Not sure what went wrong really.Glue transfering to the bases of the ski's is not good when your half way through a tour though.

Mark
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
barry wrote:

Oh crumbs is it? Shocked I only want them for the odd yomp to better powder, so I wouldn't want to be standing at the top of an awesome run on skinny things!

Would 125 skins be too small? Only they could be a bit cheaper. Actual ski dimensions are 126-136-115-133-121.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CSki, the skins need to be wide enough to cover the base of the ski under your foot, less a couple of mm on either side so you don't cover your edges. so you could get away with 110 on those skis

having the ski covered all the way to the widest part can be nice on steep icey side-hill bit but unlikely to be necessary for quick yomps for powder
snow conditions
Awesome, thanks Arno!
snow report
Arno, what size skins would you recommend for 122-90-115? Am once more considering (read: dreaming wistfully about) buying back my pocket rockets from CSki Wink
snow report
nbt, depends on what widths are available. 80mm is a common size and would probably be a bit narrow unless you are a real minimalist and have very good technique (or are prepared to make modifications to the skin using a sharp knife Wink ). 90mm would be OK and 100mm quite comfortable

there is a small improvement in terms of ease of use if you have more of the base of the ski covered in skin, but the minimum that you need is for the section under your foot to be covered less a couple of mm so the edges aren't covered. so provided you follow that guide, see what is available and how much you want to spend
ski holidays
Arno, brill, thanks for the info. Will see what I can find / afford, then go home and cry into a pint of beer dreaming of what might have been...
snow conditions
Arno and all, I promise I will hush up and buy something soon but hopefully last question...

Black Diamond 110s come in 174 length maximum. My skis are 175. I know I should buy at least the length of the ski, but they come with the 10cm adjuster. Will that take the length to 175 or will I need to get the 125mm skins that go to 180? There's 20 Euro difference in price!
ski holidays
CSki, i am the wrong person to ask because i never use a tail attachment and cut them off if the skins come supplied with them. you actually don't need much skin on the tail of your ski if you are using good technique (although a bit of skin there is a nice safety blanket)

i have seen things saying that a tail attachment is essential in certain snow types, but I have never felt the need in Yurp or in the little skinning i have done in interior BC
latest report
Arno, my skis are twin tips if that makes a difference? Technique will be far from good. Blush
snow conditions
twin tips often don't work very well with tail attachments so all the more reason to cut em off!

(IMV YMMV etc - some people wouldn't do without tail attachments)
ski holidays
I've only used the tail attachments with my skis (twins), I didn't realise there was any reason to cut them off..?
snow report
i've never had an issue with twin tips and tail connectors (G3 skins). I just ram it on real tight - almost digging into the topsheet just over the top edge and, offski. That said my climbing is generally a pretty laid back affair so maybe not that big a test.

I think you'll be fine with the shorter ones, if your skis are twins do you count the twin in the 175? or is 175 the stated length of the ski? If so the length of base in contact with the snow is a chunk less than 175

I've used the same skins on slightly differing lengths and widths of skis, so you've got a fair bit of leeway (unless you're racing or multi-day touring or whatever where you might want o be a bit more specific-to-ski)
ski holidays
barry, the ski is advertised as 175 so running length will be shorter. Surely the tail attachment would make it more secure? Otherwise it sounds like I could get away with the 174 110 skin and cut it off if need be.
ski holidays
Hmm, the clip skins look interesting! I've been in contact with the guy and he seems pretty confident about his product so I think I'm gonna stump up the cashola and let you guys know how the experience goes!
latest report
CSki, These guys do a skin especially for twin tips. It has the same clip on the front as the back.
https://www.climbingskinsdirect.com/Skins.html#Twin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the_doc wrote:
Hmm, the clip skins look interesting! I've been in contact with the guy and he seems pretty confident about his product so I think I'm gonna stump up the cashola and let you guys know how the experience goes!

Looks a good concept but I'd wonder about the real world. Tensioning seems like it would be critical and what about rocks snagging them etc or edging directly on a clip. Would work pretty well in hero US snow though I think.
latest report
jimmjimm, hmmm, not keen on buying outside the EU. But how would you get those clips on both ends without stretching like mad and possibly pinching frosty fingers?
latest report
They're like BCA skins - tough rubber between the skin and the clip gives enough leeway to hook it on the tail. Easily do-able in gloves and I've never had mine unclip when ascending, even on some seriously steep ass shizzle.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
I've only used the tail attachments with my skis (twins), I didn't realise there was any reason to cut them off..?

it's 100% a matter of taste

overtensioned skins do sometimes (not often but i've seen it happen) come unstuck though which can be a frikken nightmare if lots of snow gets between the skin and the camber of the ski. you can't overtension a skin with no tail attachment
snow conditions
the_doc wrote:

what's the dealie with shipping them to Europe doc? had actually discounted them until he was sorted and more established but you might have tipped me over the edge if i can get them without going mad on shipping/import (and obviously not making a pig's mickey of it when fitting 'em). Reviews I've seen (via teletips mainly) have been good)
snow conditions
Arno,

good point indubetably, though you can still have a clamped down tail fix without being over tight along the skin (on g3 at any rate)
snow conditions
Remember to scrape off ya travel / storage wax at the beginning of the season funny story from a friend of mine who's a guide -

He came across a group and one member was having a nightmare with his skins coming off..................... turned out he'd not scrapped his wax off so the freshly glued skins just ripped off the wax rendering the glue useless as it was covered in a wax crust!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
Topsmoke wrote:
Are there any Skin Re-Gluing experts out there wanting to earn a few quid ?
I screwed my skins big time this year at the Maria Luisa hut Leaving the skins and or ski's to close to a Radiator in the morning I think,Not sure what went wrong really.Glue transfering to the bases of the ski's is not good when your half way through a tour though.

Mark

I'm guessing your skins aren't getting much use right now so why not send them off to get done? I would have thought that the skin manufacturer would have some sort of program for this? I'm sure you'll find someone online who will do it. If not maybe you can convince Spyderjon to learn how to do it and become the UKs first skin re-gluer...
snow conditions
Topsmoke, a couple of places in Scotland might do it for you, try mountain spirit in aviemore or braemarmountainsports in Braemar & Aviemore. I imagine either could at least get you new glue and advise how to get it done yourself (mank manky MANKY job!) as not sure they'd be too keen to do it, but you can try!
snow report
CSki wrote:
barry wrote:

Oh crumbs is it? Shocked I only want them for the odd yomp to better powder, so I wouldn't want to be standing at the top of an awesome run on skinny things!

Would 125 skins be too small? Only they could be a bit cheaper. Actual ski dimensions are 126-136-115-133-121.

125s wouldn't work.
Its really important the skins reach almost to the edge of the ski, otherwise you will struggle to maintain grip if the skinning track cuts across a steep slope.
latest report
Quote:

the_doc wrote:

what's the dealie with shipping them to Europe doc? had actually discounted them until he was sorted and more established but you might have tipped me over the edge if i can get them without going mad on shipping/import (and obviously not making a pig's mickey of it when fitting 'em). Reviews I've seen (via teletips mainly) have been good)

To be honest dont know the deal for shipping. Gonna use them for my more slackcountry rigs (WhiteDot Preacher's and hopefully the new Ragnarok's!) but they're pretty squared off tips so Kaj said he'll keep me posted when a suitable attachment becomes available.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy