Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

VIST 412 Binding Adjustment

Poster: A snowHead
I have just purchased a pair of Whitedot Preachers with a VIST 412 binding from a fellow snowhead ..... thanks.
Can someone tell me the maximum acceptable clearance between the skiboot heel and the binding heel piece. Or alternatively the distance of heel piece movement backwards when the boot is locked in.
I have wound the adjuster right in and whilst the boot seems to fits OK, I am worried it may be a little loose when I ski on it.
I currently have about 8mm of clearance with the boot resting in the heel cup and about 4mm of heel piece movement when locked in.
Any views ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure spyderjon will answer your question properly but your referenece to an adjuster screw sounds like the forward pressure adjustment. You need both the binding to be mounted at the right length and the forward pressure set correctly for the binding to function properly. Slop is bad - no point having a performance ski and binding then bodging the fit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The adjustment screw should stand proud of the binding when the binding is "open"

when the boot is locked into place, the adjustment screw should be flush with the binding.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ditto - nbt
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK that sounds clear - I will check the flushness tonight !

I take fatbobs point - but the skis have been redrilled once and I would prefer not to do so again if I don't need to.

The adjuster screw I refer to moves the whole heel piece back and forwards - to accomodate different size boots - I guess that the forward pressure adjustment is a separate apparatus within the heel piece. If you set the adjustment right to get the screw flush, then the pressure will be correct.

The problem I have is that I would ideally have the heel piece a couple of mm further forward but can't because it is on the stops.

If the screw is still proud by say 2 or 3 mm with the boot locked in place ..... is that OK ....... not ideal I know ........ but worth redrilling ???
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
if the screw is still proud when the binding is closed, your heel piece is too tight and you need to move it back 2 or 3 mm - I think. Don't have my bindings in front of me to verify though
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nbt wrote:
if the screw is still proud when the binding is closed, your heel piece is too tight and you need to move it back 2 or 3 mm - I think. Don't have my bindings in front of me to verify though

Yep, if the screw is proud (of the end of the hole in the back of the binding that it goes into) then the binding is too tight and you will not necessarily release at your DIN setting. If the screw is recessed into the hole your binding is too loose and you can get pre release. Be careful using the screw adjuster at the limits of its travel as a mate stripped one of mine trying to adjust a 325 mounted set up down to his 317 boot sole, the Vist jig goes 320-330 so he was trying to operate just outside its intended limit of adjustment.

Now I've actually written this I'm doubting myself, and it could be the other way round Embarassed
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PBJ, actually rereading your post above it sounds like nbt & I might be getting it back to front (or maybe when you check tonight the screw will be recessed) and you trying to get a smaller boot into a bigger set up (like we were this last season) if thats the case then the problem you would experience is the pre release, if you don't seem to be suffering then...............................

Careful not to strip it, and think on about the fact that you'll be moving the centre point of your boot forward of the intended mark on the ski by pushing the boot forward.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi midgetbiker, I think you are right. It actually works the other way round - the screw starts off proud of the housing by about 5mm and I think when the boot fits correctly ends up flush. With my boot, the screw is still proud by about 3mm - there is definitely some forward pressure on the boot as I can see the heel piece move back a few mm when the boot locks in. Question is will it be enough to prevent a prerelease.
Not too worried about the centre issue - the redrilling done on the skis so far has only moved the heel piece back so the boot could do with coming forward a little anyway.
I guess I will take it out next season and see how it goes.
Was considering new boots next season anyway - as mine are a bit of a tight racy fit and despite lots of work are still not that comfortable. I think a pair of new Garmonts will probably come out a little longer than my current boots ..... but its an expensive way to solve the problem !!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like you guys finally managed to figure out which way to turn the screw rolling eyes wink

PBJ wrote:
......With my boot (in), the screw is still proud by about 3mm.....

Technically, the 'flush' requirement is actually the minimum forward pressure adjustment on Vist's as the screw head can be anywhere 'within the shoulder' & still be fine. Personnally I always set Vists flush as everytime I've torque tested them (I've done well over a 100 pairs) they been absolutely spot on with the screw head flush & it's a very easy visual indicator to check when in use. 3mm proud is definately insufficient forward pressure & you're highly likely to get pre-releases, especially if the ski if heavily flexed (bumps or landings) as you'll simply 'walk out of the toe piece'. Note that you should NOT turn up the din setting as this will not reduce the chances of this kind of release. Get 'em sorted properly.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Jon - was hoping you would give the expert view.

Do I need to be concerned about having the heel piece remounted again - 3 sets of holes in the skis ?

How much do you charge for the job ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PBJ, Any chance the previous mounting holes might suit your BSL?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They might - I am told they were originally drilled for 314mm sole and have been filled. Not sure how much adjustment there is - my current BSL is 326mm ..... the existing mounting is for 340mm.
I think spyderjon did the mountings ....... so will await his comment !

Am thinking more about new touring boots ..... so might wait until get those sorted before I make an unnecessary change.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PBJ, when I looked at a pair of Garmonts in a comparable size to my Nordicas they were 18mm shorter in bsl.

Pretty sure the Vist jig is in 10mm increments, so it will be set 330-340 at the mo and hence your 326 leaving the screw about 3mm proud, that means the origonal set up will have been 310-320 so still no good for your 326 Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The lad who borrowed the HSFR from me last season was running the screw 3or4mm out, as I didn't want them redrilling for a loaner. He did report the odd pre release but could also land drops hard enough to start delaminating the front of the skis without stepping out, good job he bought them in the end (not sure they weren't the pair that spyderjon just about ripped the bottoms off at EOSB'08, so maybe just a 'weak' pair wink ).

PBJ, it's got to be your choice, the yarn above is true, but so definately is spyderjon's assertion that you will get some pre release as your outside the working range.
snow report
PBJ, I mounted these skis previously & the Vist jig is infinately adjustable so it can be set to the exact BSL. A third set of holes will be ok & they'll fit nicely between the existing 314mm & 340mm mounts. A remount is £25.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy