Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg snow report 2010/2011

Poster: A snowHead
A bit of late summer, early autumn snow... and a bit more to come, before temps get up to normal again...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 1-09-10 8:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
we had frost this morning (just outside Glasgow) Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here is a bit of news. Very Happy Very Happy

It looks like the the link up between WarthSchröcken-Lech will go ahead for the 2011/2012 season as there is no need for the UVP (Environmental Impact Study) as the proposed changes only effect 1 Hectare of Land well below the 20 Hectare limit/

http://vorarlberg.orf.at/stories/466108/

My post earlier

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1541732&highlight=lechwarth+linkup#1541732

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 30-08-10 13:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If that and the Rendl/Kappl link came off it would allow the Arlberg to boast quite a growth in area over a short time...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nozawaonsen wrote:
If that and the Rendl/Kappl link came off it would allow the Arlberg to boast quite a growth in area over a short time...

Plus the new Lifts & Pistes in Stuben planned to begin next summer.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
wow. Pretty amazing ski area for the future, given that it's pretty damn fine just now. stanton, I suppose the obvious missing link is Zurs/St Anton (for those of us who stick to the piste) - do you think that will ever happen as it seems to me like a glaringly obvious link?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski, I'd be surprised if that happens any time in the near future. The topography is very tricky and you'd have to go through the Pazieltal and I can't imagine that would be very popular...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boabski wrote:
wow. Pretty amazing ski area for the future, given that it's pretty damn fine just now. stanton, I suppose the obvious missing link is Zurs/St Anton (for those of us who stick to the piste) - do you think that will ever happen as it seems to me like a glaringly obvious link?

They have had various plans for years like a tunnel through the Valluga & also possibility of a lift up from Stuben to Zurs(Flexen).

One would think it be good for the environment to remove the buses from the streets Very Happy

However, unless they kept re-submitting the plans it will not happen as No new lifts are allowed to be built in Austria. Only upgrades.

I suppose they could argue that the shuttle Bus is a lift & there applying for an upgrade Very Happy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 30-08-10 14:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton and either tunneling through the Valluga or building a (presumably pretty serious) lift to take you up from Stuben would be pretty significant investments (ie as opposed to upgrades of existing infrastructure), so on price alone you'd have to wonder. How do they argue the case for the lift infrastructure linking Rendl and Kappl? Is the argument that it is just "extending" (by a long way) existing lifts?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nozawaonsen wrote:
stanton and either tunneling through the Valluga or building a (presumably pretty serious) lift to take you up from Stuben would be pretty significant investments (ie as opposed to upgrades of existing infrastructure), so on price alone you'd have to wonder. How do they argue the case for the lift infrastructure linking Rendl and Kappl? Is the argument that it is just "extending" (by a long way) existing lifts?

The Rendl-Kappl link was planned before the lift ban. The link to Kappl is really for the benefit of Kappl giving them access to The Arlberg. There virtually no benefit to skiers/borders from St Anton.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zurs

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 12-09-10 10:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just out of interest, has anyone got any information about the ban, is it country wide? Complete blanket ban?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999 wrote:
Just out of interest, has anyone got any information about the ban, is it country wide? Complete blanket ban?

Country wide.

I have not got time but if you want to do some research on Environmental Impact Assessment Act of 2005 you can find out more.

"Umweltverträglichkeitsprüfungsgesetz von 2005"

This is the act which protects water, forests & a whole lot more.

It has been tightened up recently.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton wrote:
No new lifts are allowed to be built in Austria. Only upgrades.

None at all?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Only modernisation,replacements.

Taking out two,three lifts and replacing with one would be OK depending on the UVP.

Opening up new ski areas,fields with new lifts is not allowed. It also extends to the building of new Hotels on greenfield sites.
snow report
stanton, cheers.
snow report
stanton wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:

Plus the new Lifts & Pistes in Stuben planned to begin next summer.

Wot lifts and pistes? Please tell me they ain't going to carve up all that lovely off piste??
snow conditions
The lift Company of Pettneu am Arlberg has commenced bankruptcy procedures in the State court In Innsbruck

http://www.seilbahn.net/snn/bericht.php?wert=3028&wert1=4&zurueck=0

Shocked
snow report
Some nice photos over on the German Forum.

Lech 30th August 2010
snow report
Red Bull Hüttenrallye 21. and 22. December 2010
snow conditions
boabski wrote:

Hi! I have never been to St.Anton, but we are going there this year late January. As I understand, there is no direct link between St.Anton and Zurs ski regions by pistes or lifts. But there exist possibility to get from one another by skis - can you give some dirextions, tips and tricks how to do that? Smile How convenient is it? Does it involve some long walking? Smile Can you do it in both directions St.Anton --> Zurs; Zurs --> St.Anton? Any info will be helpful! Wink
ski holidays
Here's some info .....

http://www.ultimate-ski.com/Off-Piste/Arlberg_Off_Piste/St_Anton_off-Piste/Off_the_back_Valluga/Off_the_back_of_the_Valluga.html

You need a guide for the highest lift or to skin up to the Valluga summit before you can ski down to zurs. Have skied St Anton to Zürs but wouldn't do it without a guide or someone else with local knowledge - (taking the wrong route down could be fatal)

There is a bus service between St Anton and Zürs.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 16-09-10 13:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Yes, I know about buses, but I would rather not do it "boring way" Smile Thanks for information, DB! Wink Maybe someone could share his own expierance also Wink
ski holidays
Scroll down to see pics of what the offpiste skiing is like in St Anton .....

http://www.pistetopowder.com/index.php?p=13-46-44&url=www.pistetopowder.com

Can you ski offpiste stuff like this?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 16-09-10 14:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
maartinsh, you would need to be comfortable and capable of skiing off piste. You would need to hire a guide who will want to assess whether you are safe to be up there. You would need to be happy skiing with some exposure. There are a number of routes down. For almost all of them the start is likely to be the trickiest bit. It is fairly steep and were you to fall it could potentially end badly. People do die up there. After the start it becomes much more staightforward. It's a really beautiful valley. Don't think there is a realistic route in the other direction- though with imagination and mountaineering skills and a lot of effort I'm suspect you could find one coming down to Stuben, but it would be hard. January might be a little early for the Valluga depending on snowfall.
snow report
It is not safe to Ski the North Face of the Valluga in January. These routes are normally skied later in the season.

2008/9 Season the North Face Avalanched at the beginning of the season claiming a life.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1113243&highlight=valluga+avalanche#1113243
snow report
Yeah, it seems to be a little bit "too much" for me - I don't have such off-piste skills. I thought there is a little bit comfy way down... Very Happy Thanks, guys, for the information though! wink
snow report
FYI. An Old Post

Off Piste In The Arlberg

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=17499&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=piste
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maartinsh wrote:
Yeah, it seems to be a little bit "too much" for me - I don't have such off-piste skills. I thought there is a little bit comfy way down... Very Happy Thanks, guys, for the information though! wink

You made the right decision because death can be very inconvenient in late Jan as the season runs through to April / May.

Welcome to snowheads. snowHead
snow report

Welcome to St.Anton

(FPV crash into Gondola at the end)
latest report
Thank you for warm yet snowy welcome! snowHead And quite welcoming St.Anton presentation video - it definatelly raises ones interest to go there and see all the beautiful surroundings and crazy guys who are trying to kill themselves Laughing
Frankly, I have very little expierance in off-pste skiing, but, I guess, since I am going to St.Anton, which is famous with off-piste runs it would be a shame not to try it out. Maybe you can suggest some interesting yet not so difficult and relatively safe area there to upgrade my skills in January?
latest report
maartinsh,

If you have very little experience then why not go on an introductory offpiste course?
http://www.pistetopowder.com/
ski holidays
maartinsh, I'd agree with DB. Whilst it would be possible to give you a list of off piste routes (stanton, composed a good list a while back and there are various books) I'm not sure it would be that helpful. Without knowing what the conditions are (visibility, snow coverage, wind, avalanche risk etc) it is very difficult to suggest a specific area with any confidence. Also without seeing you ski it is very hard to get a sense of what you would enjoy and be capable of. You might well not enjoy it and at worst you could get yourself into trouble. A guide will know where conditions are at their best and also what would suit your style best. Piste to Powder are good as is the ski school. Very Happy
ski holidays
Rodel Alm (Extension)

Courtesy of sidneyreilly

http://stantonviews.blogspot.com/2010/09/rodel-alm.html

RodelAlm website.

http://members.vol.at/rodelalm/

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 5-10-10 14:26; edited 4 times in total
latest report
Nice and snowy in Lech this morning!

Very Happy
snow conditions

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 27-09-10 9:38; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
St Christoph am Arlberg

latest report
Looks like more snow forecasted for the next few days 1600m+ snowHead
latest report
Line Dancing in St Anton Shocked

World Record

http://youtube.com/v/FlGaX1Tyy4I
snow conditions
Some Photos over on the German Forum

Arlenmähder. Earthworks on Piste 12 & 13a ditches and depressions filled.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy