Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg snow report 2010/2011

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for tuning in last season.

I am not sure of the stats but I think last season The Arlberg Snow Report thread was well viewed Very Happy

The season has ended nearly 4 weeks ago but it has been dumping up top !!

News............

It looks like the planned new Stuben Gondola ( Alpe Rauz to Albonasattel) will not happen this summer . Now planned summer 2011.

There is unlikely to be any new ski/lift developments in St Anton next season.

The NEW Mooserwirt Hotel is already under construction , more later.

This season I probably will not be updating so much , INPUT Welcome
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mooserwirt Hotel Construction WebCam

Opening December 2011

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 5-08-10 18:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stanton, that's a lot of digging. Do you reckon the hotel is going to built into the face or are those excavations for foundations and basement?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton, that's a lot of digging. Do you reckon the hotel is going to built into the face or are those excavations for foundations and basement?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nozawaonsen wrote:

Thats where its going planted on the face and slightly forward of the Mosserwirt. I believe its going to be a small 30-34 bed Boutique Style Hotel.

The Mooser

http://www.ofa.at/Projekte/?subid=73&detail=374

Not sure if this is going ahead now but its the new Hotel to replace the whole block (Platzl,Funky Chicken, Pomodoro & the Intersport Ski Rent)

TopHotel am Arlberg

http://www.ofa.at/Projekte/?subid=73&detail=296

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 5-08-10 18:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Seem to be some adverts for hotel and catering staff (Chef de Partie, Rooms Division Manager) to work at a/the TopHotel am Arlberg. Not completely sure for what period they refer to.

Not too sure that it makes sense to increase the amount of rooms in town and decrease the number and range of bars and restaurants. But maybe the hotel is required to add bars and restaurants as part of the complex?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nozawaonsen wrote:
Seem to be some adverts for hotel and catering staff (Chef de Partie, Rooms Division Manager) to work at a/the TopHotel am Arlberg. Not completely sure for what period they refer to.

Not too sure that it makes sense to increase the amount of rooms in town and decrease the number and range of bars and restaurants. But maybe the hotel is required to add bars and restaurants as part of the complex?

Nah, there is no money in bars & restaurants.

The "Top Kill" by English all in catered Chalet companies and now recently Dutch all in cateted Chalets has killed off the restuarant business .

It may change with reduced numbers but dont expect any new cafes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stanton,
Quote:

You are taking the pi55 surely? Find it very hard to believe that the bars and restaurants in St Anton are not making money. I've increasingly gone b&b over the years to St Anton and whilst eating is never a problem (ie eventually get a seat), the restaurants are rammed and as far as the bars go - can hardly breath in them because there's so many folk in them - all a part of the charm of course Very Happy
Would be pretty sad to see Funky Chicken etc being eaten up by new hotel, no matter how smart - some of the best apres ski nights of my life have been in some of them Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boabski wrote:
stanton,
Quote:

You are taking the pi55 surely?

With the exception of two or three well established places.

Employees are a huge overhead & business taxes are very HIGH. There is only effectively a few weeks when these businesses are "full on".
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton, you're right about the impact of the chalets. Compared to say Ischgl where there are very few chalets many of the bars in the centre of St Anton are pretty empty from say seven to nine. Some of them might want to consider raising their game a little mind.

Still losing restaurants in the centre of town seems likely to increase not decrease the trend of eating in hotels or chalets. Pomodoros would leave quite a gap in the inexpensive but good pizza market. Eventually though if the centre of town starts to hollow out (and the Underground has already been forced out of the centre) then I suspect it won't be to the benefit of the hotelliers?

I did read somewhere I think that Bodega might be moving to larger site?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Not sure if this is going ahead now but its the new Hotel to replace the whole block (Platzl,Funky Chicken, Pomodoro)

Gutted!! I love Funkys and Platzl was ace for when you fancy a more chilled/quiet night. Guess it's good news for Bobo's that Pomodoros is closing though, about the only other place doing cheap(ish) good food? I can see Funkys being a BIG loss to the resort though, leaves only Piccadilly and Kandahar if you want to rave it up, and I'm not massively keen on either of them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

Not sure if this is going ahead now but its the new Hotel to replace the whole block (Platzl,Funky Chicken, Pomodoro)

Gutted!! I love Funkys and Platzl was ace for when you fancy a more chilled/quiet night. Guess it's good news for Bobo's that Pomodoros is closing though, about the only other place doing cheap(ish) good food? I can see Funkys being a BIG loss to the resort though, leaves only Piccadilly and Kandahar if you want to rave it up, and I'm not massively keen on either of them.

The locals will not lose any sleep, those joints are full of imported foreign workers & the land can be more usefully used on a Hotel complex (fixed cost) basis.

Anyway, its not happening next season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nozawaonsen wrote:
stanton, you're right about the impact of the chalets. Compared to say Ischgl where there are very few chalets

You obviously know northing about the Scandinavians. I worked there 1986 the Scandinavians were famous for the all in concept , they had tons of places all over town !!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well no wonder I know nothing about them if they are in their chalets the whole time wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

The locals will not lose any sleep, those joints are full of imported foreign workers & the land can be more usefully used on a Hotel complex (fixed cost) basis.

Anyway, its not happening next season.

Doubtless the locals won't mind, seasonairres and punters will though!
snow conditions
Quote:

Compared to say Ischgl where there are very few chalets many of the bars in the centre of St Anton are pretty empty from say seven to nine.

Us pi55heads do need to eat at some point in the day you know wink
ski holidays
boabski, that's a fair point! Still I think there is a more noticeable couple of hours in St Anton during the evening where the après stops, a lot of people go home for dinner then it starts againabout nine. My impression is that there is less of a clear stop start in Ischgl and it tends to merge into one... I was speculating that this may be because there are less tour operator chalet operations in Ischgl, but I may have been seeing this through too union jack tinted spectacles! Of course if you are in the Moose, Taps, KKs, Heustadl or Underground everything probably merged into one a number of beers ago... wink
snow report
Mooserwirt or griabli 3.30 to 6, piccadilly for gunar 6 to 7.30, funky chicken for some food and potential stomping après, then back to Piccadilly to catch some live music after 9 and hit the sack around midnight. Repeat 5 times.
Went to ischgl for the day this year when I was in kappl with family. I noticed that the après lull was definitely when we were out between 4 and 6.30. Think the ruskies were changing from ski bling to clubbing bling
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:
boabski, that's a fair point! Still I think there is a more noticeable couple of hours in St Anton during the evening where the après stops, a lot of people go home for dinner then it starts againabout nine. My impression is that there is less of a clear stop start in Ischgl and it tends to merge into one... I was speculating that this may be because there are less tour operator chalet operations in Ischgl, but I may have been seeing this through too union jack tinted spectacles! Of course if you are in the Moose, Taps, KKs, Heustadl or Underground everything probably merged into one a number of beers ago... wink

All of those places exception undergound & moose is ripoff warmed up industrial food all comes out of a bag. LOL .
snow conditions
Don't forget weekday happy hour 4-6 in Cuba, 2euro pints for seasonnaires, 3.50 for everyone else.
snow conditions
stanton, you're quite right about food in KKs which certainly won't win prizes... Rumour had it that Mario Matt might have been looking to sell it on again... clarky999, I really used to enjoy an evening at Cuba but when they raced to 5 euros a pint ahead of eveyone else I must admit I wondered why...
ski holidays
Talking of crappy food - what the hell happened to the Berghaus Stuben this year Evil or Very Mad Obviously new owners but the food and service was terrible. Used to be a favourite lunch time stop for us but sadly I doubt we will return Crying or Very sad
snow report
boabski wrote:
Talking of crappy food - what the hell happened to the Berghaus Stuben this year Evil or Very Mad Obviously new owners but the food and service was terrible. Used to be a favourite lunch time stop for us but sadly I doubt we will return Crying or Very sad

The old owners of Berghaus Stuben now own/run the Hannes Schnieder (Haus)Restaurant in Stuben.

The differneces in drinks prices for Skibums & customers is an illegal practice. The only way they can do this is if the skibum is directly employed by the business.
I know it goes on but If the busineess is caught they will face large fines.
latest report
Quote:

The differneces in drinks prices for Skibums & customers is an illegal practice. The only way they can do this is if the skibum is directly employed by the business.
I know it goes on but If the busineess is caught they will face large fines.

So what's with the workers discount card thing offered by Jennewein/Mailbox, which most of the bars accept?
snow conditions
Was just thinking about the above. Only for a few bars tho: Cuba, Funkys and Scottys IIRC. Of does the fiver you pay for it get you round it?
ski holidays
boabski wrote:

That is indeed sad to hear. We have had some great lunches at the Berghaus, but did not get a chance to eat there this year. Sounds like we made a good decision; alas, entirely by accident.

Did "discover" a "new" place this year... "Mohnenfluh" in Lech. Great food, at a reasonable price.
snow report
stanton, Presume that the owners of the Haus Schneider managed to eventually sell up then? Glad it's gone to good hands as the owners were really nice folk and introduced me to Heisse Witwe's wink Will need to make the treck next year then
snow report
[quote="clarky999"]
Quote:
The workers discount card thing offered by Jennewein/Mailbox, which most of the bars accept?

You mean the discount card valid for all the following vomit ridden drunken dumps > Cuba, Funkys and Scottys Very Happy

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 5-08-10 18:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sounds like St Anton is a classy place Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
[quote="stanton"]
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:
The workers discount card thing offered by Jennewein/Mailbox, which most of the bars accept?

You mean the Brit discount card valid for all the following vomit ridden drunken dumps > Cuba, Funkys and Scottys Very Happy

Pretty much lol - although not just for Brits. Don't think Cuba and Funkys are that bad though, although obviously classy would be the wrong word... Is the card actually illegal then?

Sarge McSarge, it does have nice places too, and you can avoid the lairiness if you want.
ski holidays
Sarge McSarge, St.Anton is a classy place! For some reason stanton dislikes the Brits and spends a lot of time letting out his spleen here on Snowheads. Typical Flachlandtiroler. Just ignore him.
snow report
Steilhang wrote:
stanton dislikes the Brits
Incorrect. They just seem to frequent these trailor trash joints & it has to be siad that most trouble in town occurs in these three places.

Before Mark Warner took over the Rosanna Hotel the Bar (Scottys) there used to be quite nice, a good mix of folk inclusing Austrians. Cuba has never been the same since it was Pinochios.
latest report
Most of the fighting I've seen in two seasons in St Anton generally involved Scandis...
snow report
Some News about the Lech-Warth linkup. Over the last years this has been vehemently opposed by the enviromentalist & there is still many hurdles .

http://www.vol.at/news/vorarlberg/artikel/augenmerk-auf-auenfeld/cn/news-20100608-06535611/gemeinde/lech/gemeinde/lech

Proposed Gondola Link.

I cant see this happening any time soon (next 5-10yrs).
snow report
That link has been talked about "forever" and probably will be talked about "forever".
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
That link has been talked about "forever" and probably will be talked about "forever".
I think mainly because the good people of Lech don't actually want it to happen! No more do they want a connection with the grubby side of the Arlberg in St.Anton!
ski holidays
Incident on Railway between Bludenz & Langen am Arlberg (Braz) last Wednesday morning. Freight (New Autos) train derails.

http://youtube.com/v/zZQb4_xGARo

http://youtube.com/v/S0F3ikbaUMY

http://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/article725582.ece?service=popUp&ctv=R2010&oewa=0
snow report
New Ski School Law

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=65139
snow report
This is about inline with my sources said last season. Locals expect much less UK & Irish this season but they have opened & tempted other (holdback) cash rich markets like the Russians & Spanish.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/10614196.stm
ski holidays
Rumour is next season (2011) start with Rendl Kappl link starting with new lift Rossfallscharte....(Riffelbahn 1)......more later....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy