Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

buying off piste skis, cheeper in uk or abroad?- first post =D

Poster: A snowHead
Im comfortable skiing on piste and enjoy going off piste, but the skis im on at the mo don't rly do the job off piste. At the mo im on dynastar cruise xs and theyre brilliant on piste, and im wondering if having another pair of skis for days when i go off piste would be worthwile and if so is it cheaper to buy uk of abroad?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Right now its cheaper to buy in the UK as there are some great sales on, what sort of ski are you looking for? just a pure fat ski or a twin tip fat ski, something you can do freestyle on in the backcountry.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
preference would be a twin tip fat ski, but for it to have enough flex for me to do jumps.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Right ok, well I've got the K2 hellbent and it totally rocks and I would recommend it to anyone, freeze pro shop is where I got them and they've got a sick sale on right now, but its coming to an end so theres not much to choose from, ones I like are the..

Line Elizabeth
http://www.freezeproshop.com/line-elizabeth-skis.ir?cName=brand-line-skis

Coreupt Candide pow pro model
http://www.freezeproshop.com/coreupt-candide-pow-pro-ski.ir?cName=brand-coreupt

Like I say, if I was you i'd still go looking around for the hellbent, the 2011 Obsethed interests me as its got the same hellbent rocker in the tip (powder rocker) but its got normal terrain rocker in the tail so its a bit more stable for stomping drops.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Uk is alot cheaper bud! Exchange rates work in our favour the amount of skis i send into the EU is ridiculous! milnerhome, sujjestions are pretty good if your looking for a pure pow ski! if ya looking for something a little more flexable check out things like the line cronic kypits, scott punishers etc! work well off piste and on! ohh also the atomic snoop!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was passing through Heathrow recently from HK to Europe and oh my gosh it was cheap shopping heaven!! I would be very surprised if it was more expensive to buy skis in the UK than Europe.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
steep and deep wrote:
preference would be a twin tip fat ski, but for it to have enough flex for me to do jumps.

Dynastar Big Trouble (or newer identical Sixth Sense Big model) cheap as chips of US Ebay. Not massively fat these days at 92mm underfoot, but they're good in pow and awesome in chopped up crud and variable snow.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are not too tall or big there are some cheap csar's on ebay 166
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks for all the great feedback. im 6ft 2 and 14 stone, so ill be needing some pretty big skis, been looking around on the internet and there don't seem to be many over 166 Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
steep and deep,

I'd recommend a 189cm hellbent if you sway that way.. the reason most skis are in lengths such as 166 is because they've sold out of all the "sensible" lengths and shops only have the really small or really big lengths left in stock.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
milnerhome, the 189 hellbent is massive... my housemate had them and they're actually longer physically than my 196 Bros. I'd personally go 179 and I'm 6'4" and just over 14 stone, just because when I tried the 189s they felt like tankers.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've got 179's and I'm just under 6ft and I think their to small..

Ok for tricks and stuff in the back country but I wouldn't like to be doing really big stuff on 179's with all the rocker considered your skiing on 100cm of ski and thats really not much.

I still had a great time on them (understatement) but if I was buying again I would go 189
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
given your in Leeds, support a Yorkshire lad and try whitedot....

http://www.whitedotfreeride.com/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
milnerhome, fair enough. I don't really think the Hellbent is the ski for big lines anyway, so I didn't really feel the extra length was worth the hassle in trees, or particularly stable when skiing fast/charging. I imagined the 179 would be a bit more playful.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveC, good point, I think that's why the 2011 obsethed really grabs me but when it comes out I don't know if I can justify having two really fat skis rolling eyes I really want to try it out on some steep lines though Laughing
snow conditions
DaveC wrote:
milnerhome, the 189 hellbent is massive... my housemate had them and they're actually longer physically than my 196 Bros. I'd personally go 179 and I'm 6'4" and just over 14 stone, just because when I tried the 189s they felt like tankers.

I've heard a few people say similar things, how exactly have K2 measured them, is it minus the tip/tail or something?
ski holidays
Pretty sure they list effective edge not ski length, so don't include the tip/tail - iirc the usual rule is add about 4cm, but the Hellbent is so oversized that the 189 is approx 2m
latest report
Surely witht he rocker in the hellbent they don't have 189cm effective edge though?!
snow report
They do when you roll them on edge though - the more you angle the ski, the more edge will engage (like a regular camber ski as it decambers).
ski holidays
Fair point.
ski holidays
I still stand by the hell bents are the most scary ski ive skied! you have to crank them ALONG way before u actually get an edge lol
ski holidays
dansmith, I spent a lot of time on Praxis Powders (think bigger exaggerated Volant Spatula if you've not heard of them), which might well be the scariest ski I've skied when I defaulted to edging them! I think quite often strong technical skiers will find these newer shapes a bit scary since they do require a very different style, lots of pivot and not really much edging. Same applies to the Hellbents though, super playful when worked right, and they do make the style of skiing they're good at a lot of fun - but I definitely prefer stuff with a little standard camber. Praxis Protests, WDF Redeemers and Moment Night Trains (and I guess Armarda JJs, Rossi S7s, and prob more) are the most attractive looking examples of the evolution of the shape to me since you do get the best of both worlds.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy