Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

Poster: A snowHead
lizski wrote:
what if the volcano does not stop for months like last time it erupted

It's almost certain that it will, but the current phase the the eruption (which is violent and producing large quantities or fine ash) is not likely to last for more than a few days.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lizski, just like people used to do?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My brother is stuck in Madrid, BA have told him it will probably be Monday before he can get a flight back.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Was about to order some stuff from UK, making use of the excellent/pants* exchange rate, but then realised that the package isn't going to get much further than the DHL/TNT depot is it?

(*delete as applicable)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
For stranded air passengers, the European Commission advises that "EU passenger rights do apply in this situation". That is, airlines must keep passengers informed; must provide refreshment, meals and accommodations as required during the delay; and must offer a choice between reimbursement of fares or eventual delivery to the final planned destination.

However the EU cautions that, as the volcanic eruption is an exceptional circumstance and not the airlines' fault, "passengers are not however entitled to additional financial compensation that would be the case where delays or cancellations are the fault of the airline".

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/16/ash_friday/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Greetings all! Little Angel
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Look on the bright side. A really big volcanic eruption could reverse global warming.

Could mask global warming for a year or two. C02 has a half life of hundreds of years in the atmosphere and we are pumping it out continually at rates that are still increasing. S02 has a half life of weeks (or less) in the atmosphere and the volcano will soon stop.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy wrote:
... making use of the excellent pants exchange rate...

I was confused for a while then while a curious image lingered in my brain!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the current NATS statement
Quote:
Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Friday April 16, 0830

The cloud of volcanic ash continues to cover much of the UK and the eruption in Iceland continues. Following a review of the latest Met Office information, NATS advises that restrictions preventing flights in English controlled airspace will remain in place until 0100 (UK time) tomorrow, Saturday 17 April, at the earliest.

Flights in Northern Ireland and the Western Isles of Scotland to and from Glasgow and Prestwick will continue to be allowed until 1900 (UK time) subject to individual co-ordination. North Atlantic traffic to and from Glasgow, Prestwick and Belfast may also be allowed in this period.

From 1900 (UK time), forecasts indicate that Scottish airspace may be able to accept domestic flights within Scotland and Northern/Southern Ireland, and North Atlantic flights to/from airports in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

We will review further Met Office information and at 1430 (UK time) we will advise further arrangements. In general, the situation is dynamic and subject to change.

So if Scotland is freeing up it may spread south overnight, So I'm going to hold my nerve and pray.

And if and when I get a flight I'm getting there well early as I can see it been nothing but a big backlog chaos.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dwarf Vader, which way is the ash spreading? Is there any danger than as the north of the UK gets clear Alpine regions start closing down? Pointless being able to take off if you can't land near where you're trying to get to.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OH FFS Evil or Very Mad

http://www.raileurope.co.uk/

Quote:
Welcome To Rail Europe

Sorry, our website is temporarily unavailable while we undergo maintenance to provide a better service.

Talk about timing. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
Dwarf Vader, which way is the ash spreading? Is there any danger than as the north of the UK gets clear Alpine regions start closing down? Pointless being able to take off if you can't land near where you're trying to get to.

Thank you for more positive thoughts Sad Wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dwarf Vader, still some cheap ferries going.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Axsman, pack it in, you silly @rse
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dwarf Vader, Have you tried Flybe - I heard the director on radio4 this morning saying they were getting some flights away - they fly to Chambery, so not far from VT

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/billet-train
Seems to work too - good luck!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 16-04-10 10:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
A bloke in the bar ( wink ) says no flying until Sunday lunchtime at the earliest,
all low fly pilots on standby to protect UK airspace if required, as the usual boys do so via a height currently blocked....

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 16-04-10 10:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
genepi, thank you, I'll check.

Nope all booked up Sad
ski holidays
Most Flybe planes are turboprop Dash-8s that may not be affected so much by the ash.

Dwarf Vader, it's heading for the Alps:
http://metoffice.com/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1271398735.png

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 16-04-10 11:30; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
I think this well spoken scotsman sums this up very well.
http://youtube.com/v/34mHZgP9vkc&feature=player_embedded
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, commercial flights only, if anyone has a pal with a private jet you'll be fine, so no impact to end of season for Verbier, St Moritz or klosters
latest report
Oh dear - so sorry for all of you affected trying to get away Sad and for those unable to get back. It's still the Easter break for schools isn't it? There must be many people getting worried about getting back this weekend.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Dwarf Vader, still some cheap ferries going.

Must admit, driving is a thought. But then, if they don't cancel the flight, that's @£140 I won't be getting back, plus the (expensive & self-indulgent) transfer - actually, I might get 50% back on that, but even so... Plus the rather high cost of driving - I've got a big car, so lots of room, but also lots of petrol. Don't really think I can justify it Sad

(Edit to add) Can't stand ferries either! spoo

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 16-04-10 11:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Dr John, Ok no more arson about from me, promise Little Angel
ski holidays
Jo225, My thoughts as well, Just going to have to tough it out. Sad
latest report
(I lied) Madeye-Smiley
snow report
anyone on the 14:20 seafrance to calais? Toofy Grin

its been a while since i drove for a weekend of skiing but what the heck!!
snow report
I wonder how an inch of fresh.....ASH will affect the ski runs in VT
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, would play hell with your bases. They'd need some REALLY high temp wax. Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, Ash + Slush = mud? Smile but I will still be on my ski's and not in the UK Smile (When I eventually get there)
snow report
Quote:
What are the alternatives for getting to Europe?

P&O has stated that it cannot accept further foot passenger bookings until Monday because its cross-Channel services are full. A spokesman issued this statement: "Many of our incoming sailings from the Continent for this weekend were already heavily booked with returning Easter holidaymakers and pressure on outbound services is now also such that we are unable to take further foot passenger bookings until after the weekend."

SeaFrance has added a foot passenger service on it Dover and Calais sailings (it normally only accepts passengers with vehicles) at 11.25, 12.30, 15:50, 16:50 and 20:00; plus Saturday morning. For foot passenger bookings, call 0871 22 22 500. For vehicle bookings, call 0871 22 22 500.

Eurostar is fully booked today on all routes. There is limited availability on Saturday and Sunday. The rail operator is advising passengers not to turn up at its stations unless they have a confirmed booking.

Eurolines offers high frequency services between London Victoria and Dublin, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam and Cologne. It has announced further services on key routes between the continent and the UK. Fares to Paris for today start from £40 single and £55 return.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/article7099479.ece?token=null&offset=12&page=2
ski holidays
A glimmer of bright news.

Quote:
Dr Matthew Roberts, a glaciologist at the Icelandic Met Office, has flown over the volcano responsible for the ash cloud.

There's a lag effect between material being emitted from the volcano and the ash plume drifting into European airspace
Dr Matthew Roberts
Icelandic Met Office

"The situation as it stands this morning is that the eruption continues. It seems to be quite stable. There haven't been any further significant outbursts of volcanic ash from the eruption site," he said.

"However, as you know, there is still volcanic ash in the atmosphere and there's a lag effect between material being emitted from the volcano and the ash plume drifting into European airspace. So, the material that's in the sky at the moment was ejected on 14 April and currently there isn't any new material leaving the eruption site."

Lets hope it disperses in the next 12 hours Smile
snow report
Dwarf Vader, good spot, excellent glimmer Very Happy
snow conditions
What time are you guys due to fly tomorrow? I'm scheduled on the 9:25am from Luton... I'm not currently feeling very hopeful.
ski holidays
carled, 06.25 from Liverpool so I should know this afternoon if it's a goer, if not will rebook for Sunday.
ski holidays
9:25 luton Sad nats should have an update at 1430, and then we'll know..
snow report
.Ro, so that's a "snap" there then! I've got the eurotunnel booking on standby on my browser, ready to click the "buy" button. Trouble is, I suspect the next announcement will be to bump the "no flights until..." time back to 1pm Saturday. Meaning that I could then rebook my flights to the 4:30pm flight in the hope... but then it will bump back again probably and, by then, it's too late to get on the eurotunnel in time to make my short break worthwhile... I think if they bump it back again then I have to just take the plunge and book the tunnel crossing.
ski holidays
carled wrote:
... I think if they bump it back again then I have to just take the plunge and book the tunnel crossing.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Is that an economy class thing? - they make you SWIM? Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
Axsman, in any other circumstances, you'd get a Smile for effort mate... however in current circumstances with stress levels at max, I'm not in the mood and you can have a Mad for the time being
snow report
carled, Completely understood. Hope you get there by some or other means of transportation, and that it doesn't involve getting your luggage wet. Little Angel snowHead
snow report
It's looking unhopeful for le weekend. The VAAC has just predicted that the ash will be still hanging around at 7:00 (06:00 GMT) on Saturday morning:

http://metoffice.com/aviation/vaac/data/VAG_1271417376.png

See image at bottom right.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy