Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
Airline passengers are facing massive disruption across the UK after an ash cloud from a volcanic eruption in Iceland grounded planes.

In Scotland, all airports are shut and there is disruption at many others including Manchester, Liverpool, Stansted, Newcastle and Birmingham.

The Air Traffic Control Service (Nats) imposed restrictions after the Met Office warned ash could damage engines.

Passengers are being advised to contact their airlines prior to travel.

Experts have warned that the tiny particles of rock, glass and sand contained in the ash cloud would be sufficient to jam aircraft engines.

'Significant disruption'

Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow airports were shut as Nats said it was restricting flights "in accordance with international civil aviation policy".

The ash cloud disrupted all flights to and from Manchester with a similar picture at Newcastle airport where all arrivals were cancelled and all outbound flights either cancelled or subject to indefinite delay.

Liverpool's John Lennon airport suspended all flights until at least 1300BST.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8621407.stm

Just flaming wonderful, the winds had better change by Saturday. Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dwarf Vader, we seem to have two of these threads now....http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63807

Do keep up sir....or is it really just to rub my nose in it that I've now been up for four and a half hours for no good reason whatsoever...Grrr!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Barrr humbug

This is ski related news so it's in the Piste, that's gossip so it's in the Apre ski section. Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dwarf Vader, 'cos of course you'd never gossip....ahem! Well I wasn't going to EDI to ski, I was going to some deathly dull meeting! Which, I've now been told, can be conducted over a conference call today instead now. So, precisely why was I schlepping up there in the first place then.....Double Grrr Mad Mad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dwarf Vader, hope it's no longer an issue by Sat.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jonm wrote:
Dwarf Vader, hope it's no longer an issue by Sat.

Me too!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
why can't they just direct flight paths round it?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
papasmurf, I think cos it covers an area over much of Northern Europe?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This was the area affected at approx 0900.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm flying from Aberdeen to a conference on wednesday next week in Basel - or perhaps not Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Michelle,
Quote:

This was the area affected at approx 0900.

Am loving the fact that the one northern european country that appears not to be covered in a large toxic cloud is.....Iceland!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JUst been looking at the skies - Arrrg my eyes my eyes. Wink

Nice blue skies with a few normal clouds, no death dealing Mordor type cover - over reaction again?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dwarf Vader, no.

stoatsbrother wrote:
This is why it can be an issue. Scary story.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Michelle, but it may get in the way of my skiing Wink

As I said blue skies. Can I exchange my easyjet tickets for SNCF ones?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dwarf Vader, Laughing Laughing Laughing

(I was about to post something then realised that this was in the piste... comment deleted Little Angel )
snow report
Just had my SMS from BA telling me my 7am flight to EDI is cancelled. Thanks guys, really enjoyed getting up at 4.30 this morning and schlepping to the airport for nothing Mad
snow conditions
Lisa222 wrote:
Just had my SMS from BA telling me my 7am flight to EDI is cancelled. Thanks guys, really enjoyed getting up at 4.30 this morning and schlepping to the airport for nothing Mad

That's only for work, far more importantly I'm looking at trains to Moutiers. If fuel was not so costly I'll drive
ski holidays
The CEO of Icelandic Express is speaking on BBC atm and has said: If it's just one or two days then it's fine - if it goes on longer it could be a financial problem...

Shocked
latest report
try this for updates http://www.nats.co.uk/

BTW if any Mods want to merge the two threads that's ok by me.
snow conditions
Lisa222, I find that SMS messages are frequently delayed (sometimes by days) when sent between providers - so don't necessarily blame the sender Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
If you want to visually see how this affecting flights then try this amazing and rather scary site:

http://www.radarvirtuel.com

It shows every plane currently in the sky, where it is going, where it has been and how fast it is travelling!! Shocked
latest report
Yoda, I take on board your point. However, they managed to SMS the cancellation of my inbound flight this evening an hour earlier than the one for my outbound

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
On the plus side, the sunsets and sunrises could be pretty spectacular in the coming days.
snow conditions
Iceland screwed over Britain's savers and government.

Now it's screwing its travelers.

Britain should divert a few troops to Iceland and invade it Smile
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Iceland screwed over Britain's savers and government.

Now it's screwing its travelers.

Britain should divert a few troops to Iceland and invade it Smile

agreed! Laughing Laughing
snow report
"Dear Iceland,

We said 'Send cash!' "

(From the BBC news website, which got it from the twitterfeeds of someone called littlesapling)
snow report
Hubbie flew out from SA last night, should have landed this morning early. He is giving a presentation today and cannot reach him,
anyone know from what time Heathrow was closed? Hope he made it in...
snow conditions
Apparently, the last time this volcano erupted it went on for two years - and then its bigger neighbour blow!

Hubbie could be stuck in transit for some time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Beautiful blue skies and brilliant sunshine now.

lizski, hope you hear something soon.

Live update page http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8622438.stm

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 15-04-10 14:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
H&S jobsworths strike again

Quote:

1346 Nobody is taking chances. Despite flying at altitudes far below the volcanic ash cloud, the BBC has been told that the air ambulance services for Warwickshire, Northants, Derbyshire, Leceistershire and Rutland has also been grounded.

No Common sense nowadays.
ski holidays
Airspace closed until 0600 Friday
snow report
A private little plane has just flown over - is that exempt from the air traffic ban?
latest report
snowymum, I think propellor planes are OK? It's jet engines that will have problems. Or I've probably got that completely wrong!
latest report
Flying from Norway Sat morning. We're really gettting dumped on over here. Mind you, if it does get cancelled, I might make it to the end of season bash. Every acid-cloud has a silver lining wink
ski holidays
Shrek wrote:
I might make it to the end of season bash. Every acid-cloud has a silver lining wink

You will have to get there first. Who says this will be over by next Saturday? Smile
snow conditions
Just had sms from husband, made it in this morning . Flying out tomorrow evening, hope he makes it out as we have a mountainbike ride on Saturday, and I need somebody that can fix punctures! Blush
Must say the footage of volcano out of glacier on news is spectacular, even if it is causing some stress.
Thanks
ski holidays
lizski, Good news (so far) Smile
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader wrote:
Shrek wrote:
I might make it to the end of season bash. Every acid-cloud has a silver lining wink

You will have to get there first. Who says this will be over by next Saturday? Smile

If there is the faintest chance of that happening, I will be on the midnight Eurotunnel on Friday evening to make sure I am there.
snow report
We took a picture of it today...

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMFYR9MT7G_index_0.html
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont,
Quote:

I will be on the midnight Eurotunnel on Friday evening to make sure I am there.

Good luck, you know how these things have a habit of snowballing and affecting other transport Confused
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy