Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

Poster: A snowHead
NATS Update

Quote:
Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Tuesday April 20, 0900

The situation regarding the volcanic eruption in Iceland remains dynamic and the latest information from the Met Office shows that the situation today will continue to be variable.

Based on the latest Met Office information, part of Scottish airspace including Aberdeen, Inverness and Edinburgh airports will continue to be available from 1300-1900 today, and also south to Newcastle Airport. Restrictions will remain in place over the rest of UK airspace below 20,000ft.

Overnight the CAA, in line with new guidance from the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) decided flights above the ash cloud will be permitted in the UK; between 1300-1900 this will enable aircraft movements above 20,000ft in UK airspace.

We will continue to monitor Met Office information and the situation is likely to change during the course of the day. We will make a further statement at approximately 1500.

What to do, what to do?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just in case this hasn't already been posted, it looks like the Daily Mash are reporting that a solution has been found .....

Quote:

STRANDED TOURISTS TO BE FIRED FROM A CANNON
19-04-10
THOUSANDS of British tourists stranded in Calais will begin their journey home today by climbing into the end of a giant cannon pointed roughly at Kent.

Ministers insist that some people won't dieAs the Icelandic volcano attack entered its fifth day, the government said long-range artillery was now the best option for getting people back to the UK as all the boats had been reserved for trade unionists, Guardian readers and friends of JK Rowling.

Lord Mandelson, secretary of state for whatever the feck he wants, added: "Only the 14 richest people in Europe can now afford to travel by Eurostar, while Dan Snow and his rag-tag armada of inflatable dinghies have almost certainly been eaten by whales."

This morning British embassy staff are setting up a deli counter ticket dispenser at Cap Gris Nez near the French port and asking tourists to form an orderly queue.

When their number is called, each 'passenger' will be given a bicycle helmet, a banana and magazine to read during their flight before being fired from the cannon at just under 78mph.

They will then soar across the English channel, at least 20ft below the deadly ash cloud, before hopefully landing in a large inflatable mattress that has been set up in the car park of the Folkestone branch of Sainsbury's in Bouverie Road West.

After returning the magazine and the helmet they can walk to the local station and take their chances with the UK rail network.

Tom Logan, his wife Helen and two of their three children will be fired as a group at 10.30am.

He said: "Apparently the cannon can only take four at a time, so we've had to leave one behind. We went for the ginger one. I'd imagine the French will probably just eat him."

British Airways will today carry out a series of test flights in a bid to calculate exactly how much it will cost them when planes start dropping out of the sky, while Ryanair has cancelled all of its flights until Wednesday, though aviation experts stressed this is probably nothing more than an elaborate tax dodge.

Meanwhile the quiet, clear blue skies above the UK have prompted speculation over what the world would be like without contraptions.

Professor Henry Brubaker, of the Institute for Studies, said: "According to my computer, it would take ages to get to Australia, but, by the same token, it would also take an awfully long time for Australians to get here. Which would, of course, be excellent."

Wink

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/stranded-tourists-to-be-fired-from-a-cannon-201004192651/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"And the first flights out of Glasgow are going to Stornoway and Islay, while the first international flight is expected to depart at midday going to Reykjavik, in Iceland."

Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shimmy Alcott, presumably carrying a bloody great plug to stick in the damn thing!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I made a decision, I got no faith in flying soon so I booked a ferry for tonight and am driving out.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
TallTone,
Quote:

a bloody great plug to stick in the damn thing

Gordon Brown perhaps?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dwarf Vader, good for you Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dwarf Vader, See you out there I hope. While I've parked the bus plan for the time being (Pressure is off on getting things booked so it's back to watch and wait, with European airspace guys saying it will be clear by Thursday! (Hopefully optimistic - apparantly - his words not mine!), we do have the option to pick up the plan again at short notice. So if anyone is still without a back up plan, keep clicking the boxes on the new real lardy bus thread.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dwarf Vader That is great news. Not least because through the use of Sod's Law all flights will be back to normal by the time you leave. Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tiger2, lol yes me and sod's law have an understanding, he really hates me Wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tiger2, He was meant to leave 4 days ago Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is it too early for Volcano jokes, or should we wait until the dust settles....
rolling eyes
I'll get my coat. The Westbeach covered in ash please...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Colleague at work was due to go on holiday to Fuerteventura tomorrow and has been offered a full refund, or credit against a future holiday by the TO. That's pretty good I think, since some insurance companies are being a bit sticky.

Must admit, all this has strengthened my favour for the TO option.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, At first my sister and her family were left to their own devices but now Kuoni have started paying for their hotel.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Airlines seem to be pressurising Governments & EuroControl to start flying.

Has anyone asked the Pilots?

Would you feel safe boarding a Trans Atlantic flight knowing the pilot maybe flying under pressure to do so by his airline company???

Will airline/planes that fly be covered by insurance, I doubt it ?
latest report
stanton, I would trust a British captain not to compromise safety.
ski holidays
There was a documentary on German TV last night about a plane that flew through such a cloud. The jet engines / turbines became caked up and stopped, the windscreen was scratched as if it had been sand-blasted. The atmosphere in the plane became very dusty. Luckily just before the plane plunged into the sea they managed to restart some of the jet engines and get to the nearest airport. The pilots managed to land the plane even though the view through the windscreen was just one big blur. Shocked

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0415/breaking71.html

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 20-04-10 15:16; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Tuesday April 20, 1500
The situation regarding the volcanic eruption in Iceland remains dynamic and the latest information from the Met Office shows that the situation will continue to be variable.

Based on the latest Met Office information, part of Scottish and Northern Irish airspace including Aberdeen, Inverness and Edinburgh airports will continue to be available from 1900 today to 0100 tomorrow, Wednesday 21 April, and also south to Newcastle Airport. Glasgow and Teesside airports will additionally become available in this time period. Restrictions will remain in place over the rest of UK airspace below 20,000ft.

Flights above the ash cloud are now permitted in the UK; between 1900 today and 0100 tomorrow, this will enable aircraft movements above 20,000ft in UK airspace.

We will continue to monitor Met Office information and the situation is likely to change during the course of the day. We will make a further statement at approximately 2100 today.

NATS is maintaining close dialogue with the Met Office and with the UK's safety regulator, the CAA, in respect of the international civil aviation policy we follow in applying restrictions to use of airspace.

We are working closely with Government, airports and airlines, and airframe and aero engine manufacturers to get a better understanding of the effects of the ash cloud and to seek solutions.
snow conditions
Guess I'll do this as Dwarf Vader will be very busy packing/driving/paddling for or to the Alps....

Latest NATS update

Quote:

Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Tuesday April 20, 1500
The situation regarding the volcanic eruption in Iceland remains dynamic and the latest information from the Met Office shows that the situation will continue to be variable.

Based on the latest Met Office information, part of Scottish and Northern Irish airspace including Aberdeen, Inverness and Edinburgh airports will continue to be available from 1900 today to 0100 tomorrow, Wednesday 21 April, and also south to Newcastle Airport. Glasgow and Teesside airports will additionally become available in this time period. Restrictions will remain in place over the rest of UK airspace below 20,000ft.

Flights above the ash cloud are now permitted in the UK; between 1900 today and 0100 tomorrow, this will enable aircraft movements above 20,000ft in UK airspace.

We will continue to monitor Met Office information and the situation is likely to change during the course of the day. We will make a further statement at approximately 2100 today.

NATS is maintaining close dialogue with the Met Office and with the UK's safety regulator, the CAA, in respect of the international civil aviation policy we follow in applying restrictions to use of airspace.

We are working closely with Government, airports and airlines, and airframe and aero engine manufacturers to get a better understanding of the effects of the ash cloud and to seek solutions.

ski holidays
You think it couldn't get worse?

Well maybe it could if your flying & were sitting next to this....

http://youtube.com/v/b5yWa-iVu00&feature=player_embedded#!

Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 20-04-10 15:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Lisa222, the CAA and NATS are going to have to get a grip - Eurocontrol and NATS seem to have a very different idea of what is sufficiently hazardous to ban flying. If Eurcontrol are flat wrong, it would be nice to be told by NATS and the CAA why that is so. Meantime, Paris and Amsterdam are getting on with it, according to correspondence in the pprune site.
ski holidays
Can anyone give me the link to that site that showed all the flights/flightpaths. Can't find it anywhere. Ta.
latest report
Shimmy Alcott It is http://www.radarvirtuel.com/. Brilliant.
snow report
also http://www.flightradar24.com/
ski holidays
i've seen a plane flying south of london westwards about 30 minutes ago. quite high up though, so maybe from europe somewhere? quite strange after so many days of nothing but birds up there.
latest report
achilles, I totally agree....how anyone is supposed to make a meaningful decision which (not least in the case of us EoSB 'ers) could have a serious financial implication (i.e. how many beer tokens will we have left if we have to drive as well as fork out for flights wink) I really don't know!

Perhaps there's two ash clouds up there and the one over the UK comprises of the wrong kind of ash.....

Seriously though, if they were all at least vaguely singing from the same hymn sheet we might be able to have a small amount of faith they've got it right and get on with making above mentioned decisions accordingly. Grrr.... Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Lisa222, is a height issue ? The ones in the air are above it whereas one taking off from the UK has to fly through it ?

I'm guessing here if you hadn't noticed.
snow report
stanton wrote:
Has anyone asked the Pilots?

Would you feel safe boarding a Trans Atlantic flight knowing the pilot maybe flying under pressure to do so by his airline company???

Pilots can refuse to fly if he/she doesn't believe it's safe. It's implicit. More over, it's his/her own life that's on the line. Will a ski guide go down a slope when he doesn't think it's safe for himself? He's also under pressure to do so (in this case, by his client).

I feel as safe as the pilot's feeling.

Frankly, this, coming from someone who will ski off-piste when the fatelity rate is much higher than flying, is rather interesting.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Loving watching the returning flight from Iceland Laughing

Looking at the radarvirtuel site - why are there no planes over Sri Lanka
latest report
bladeskier, I know quite a bit about volcanos but chuff-all about planes to be honest! I would (wildly!) guess it is for planes landing and taking off as their trajectory (if this is even the right word) would mean they would spend a fair amount of their ascent/descent in the ash cloud?

I shall now stop making stuff up and handover to achilles's vastly superior knowledge......
snow report
And the ash is being blow directly from Iceland at the UK whereas it has had time to settle over the rest of Europe. If the ash is thicker anywhere then it's bound to be here.

There's going to be a lot of people involved in the decision:
the airframe manufacturers;
the engine manufacturers;
the pitot manufacturers;
the pneumatics manufacturers;
the hydraulics manufacturers;
the window manufacturers;
the airlines;
the pilots;
the leasing companies;
the insurers;
the VAACs;
all the different air traffic organisations;
IATA;
CAA;
the government;
any more?

Trying to organise a meeting between that lot could take for ever never mind come to a decision based on very little information.
snow conditions
sherlock235, Yes, going to the US - check out the links just above youyr post for more info. There was about 4 planes over the South when I looked.
ski holidays
Husband just phoned from London, Flight canceled again! Crying or Very sad
snow report
altis, as a former aircraft maintenance engineer I understand all of that. Yet I can't help feeling that too many people have not been prepared to get stuck in to getting data fast, and make decisions based on real engineering.

abc, bearing in mind the recent Polish accident, I wonder just how much discretion captains always have.
snow report
achilles, I am also confused how it is that the rest of northern Europe now seem to be operating (particularly Schiphol and Orly/Paris) and are even over-flying the "no fly zone" southern part of the UK Puzzled
ski holidays
Freddie Paellahead, looking at their altitudes they are above the ash cloud. Plane over us a few minutes ago though, looks to be JET 2
latest report
achilles wrote:
abc, bearing in mind the recent Polish accident, I wonder just how much discretion captains always have.

I missed that one. Sad Got a link for me to catch up on?
snow report
Quote:
"Many women who do not dress modestly lead young men astray and spread adultery in society which increases earthquakes,"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8631775.stm

Wonder who he blames for volcanos? If we knew we could then perhaps ask whoever it is to stop whatever it is they're doing and all get on a plane Toofy Grin

La la la...clearly time to go home... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
abc, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8624067.stm
latest report
abc wrote:
Frankly, this, coming from someone who will ski off-piste when the fatelity rate is much higher than flying, is rather interesting.

On-piste fatality rate is way higher, which I find even more interesting wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy