Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Icelandic volcanic ash alert grounds UK flights

Poster: A snowHead
Axsman, I'm with you, the OH looks like the earliest she may get back from the USA is monday into shannon the a car then a ferry then a train... but who cares, nowt we can do about it Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Guy on the BBC news was talking about it drifting over to Scandinavia for a day or so, then drifting back as the wind changes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dwarf Vader, i am on the 6.25 to liverpool also snowHead but wont transfer to the sunday as am only in cham for two days Embarassed
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Neilski, I understand, it must be even more of a pain if your only off for a couple of days. I'm lucky in the fact I'm looking at two weeks so if I miss a day or two it's not a disaster.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lots of people with big problems, stuck abroad, can't get back to work etc. And miserable for people whose holidays from the UK are being disrupted but really, some people are utterly pathetic. A woman on the news complaining about lack of "support" from the airlines. Like she'd appreciate a few hours of counselling? And someone at an airport (where the latest announcements from NATS must be very readily available complaining that he's not getting "any answers" from the airlines.

It's a modern disease, I think, being convinced that there simply has to be an answer, to everything, always.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just heard Lord Adonis say that he expects disruption for at least the next 48 hours.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, totally agreed, I think poeple are just so use to been told what to do that they lost the abilitiy to find stuff out themselves and to gather information. I think it goes so far they Just dont read notices put up.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, was that the guy in a UK airport with the sobbing wife? Why didn't they just go home or not travel?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle wrote:
Just heard Lord Adonis say that he expects disruption for at least the next 48 hours.

Wow he must be a god to see that happening Shocked THe next thing he will say is the sun sets every evening Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dwarf Vader, in fairness, I think he meant no flights, rather than dealing with the backlog. But I could be wrong.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Never mind - we've all got travel insurance haven't we! No problems it were delayed for over 12 hours we can cancel and get our money back?

Just had a very interesting conversation with my insurer - No your not covered Mr D.!!!!

The underwriters have decided its not covered because its not listed as as something they cover! so I asked them if its listed as an exclusion? No! but because it not listed as covered they can cop-out!

Has anybody out there had their insurers say they will cover it?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rob D, It's covered by that Insurance company catch all called Force Majeure Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

was that the guy in a UK airport with the sobbing wife?

yes, that was the one - I felt little sympathy I have to say. She wasn't his wife though; they were planning to get married in Mexico. wink. Being really horrible, I'd say anyone who has spent two years planning a wedding in Mexico deserves everything they get. Is it that people don't have any friends, or that they are all loaded, or that they just don't care about them?

What "answers" does he want, for goodness' sake! Does he think someone is hiding vital information from him? At least he's not stuck abroad spending a lot of money not getting any answers. Go home and make her a nice cup of tea, there's a good boy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dwarf Vader wrote:
Rob D, It's covered by that Insurance company catch all called Force Majeure Sad

But why? Is this not the sort of thing we buy travel insurance for?

I would really love to know if any insurance policy will cover this.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rob D, It's what they do, cover there back bottoms. When I was serving in the Army I was offered insurance that did not cover Conflicts or war zones Shocked
ski holidays
If you havn't booked already would not assume you will get a seat on the eurostar, have a mate who works for them and he said they are at almost 100% capacity
snow report
Some people I know were supposed to be flying to Oz this evening. When they rang for advice, Trailfinders had already booked them on to a Sunday flight - a different route, but getting them to their destination at much the same time. Good service.
ski holidays
NATs update

Quote:
The cloud of volcanic ash continues to move south through the UK and the eruption in Iceland continues.

Following a review of the latest Met Office information, NATS advises that restrictions preventing flights in controlled airspace over England and Wales will remain in place until 0700 (UK time) tomorrow, Saturday 17 April, at the earliest. From 1900 (UK time) today ATC restrictions will be lifted in a large part of Scottish airspace including Scottish airports, Shetland, Orkneys and also Northern Ireland.

On this basis, North Atlantic traffic can also operate to/from points in this airspace. Please note these arrangements do not mean that all flights will operate. Anyone hoping to travel today or tomorrow should contact their airline before going to the airport.

We are looking for opportunities when the ash cloud moves sufficient for us to enable some flights to operate under individual coordination with ATC. Some aircraft were able to operate at Manchester this morning, although restrictions are now reapplied to Manchester.

We hope there may be some opportunity from the north into Newcastle after 0100 (UK time) tomorrow - Saturday. We will review further Met Office information and at 2030 (UK time) we will advise further arrangements. In general, the situation is dynamic and subject to change.

We continue to work closely with airports, airlines, and the rest of Europe to understand and mitigate the implications of the volcanic eruption.

So That's my Flight buggered Sad
latest report
Dwarf Vader, misery Sad
snow report
Just waiting for Easyjet to update their website so I can get in quickly on the free transfer.
snow conditions
Dwarf Vader, you going to try for the same day ????
ski holidays
Neilski, I think Sunday would be a better bet of it flying but lets see what they got available.
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader, sorry to hear that, hope for all our sakes we can hear some good news soon. Only thing BA can say so far is that husbands flight cancelled, so he is stuck in London indefinately - wonder if he should start looking around for a ship - does travelexpenses cover the QE II? Smile
latest report
lizski, How long is it by train? 2-3 days?
latest report
carled, .Ro, I'm on the 9.25 from Luton as well. Or not, as the case may be Sad
snow report
... misheard ... thought it was Icelandic CASH on the way at first ... Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

Axsman, I'm with you, the OH looks like the earliest she may get back from the USA is monday into shannon the a car then a ferry then a train... but who cares, nowt we can do about it

CEM, Ferries from Dublin are rammed full for the next few days! The world and its mother is o them you can hardly get on the Irish Ferries site it is that bad!

Would suggest she try the cork to Swanse route with direct Ferries if you are stuck.

Meant to be flying to manchester in the morning for the Grom Games but it is not looking good. Ah Well worse things hapen at see you know,
snow conditions
Jo225 wrote:

I've jumped. Booked eurotunnel and I'm driving it. Stop off at Troyes on the way in an F1. I think it's just going to be put back and put back...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carled wrote:
Jo225 wrote:

I've jumped. Booked eurotunnel and I'm driving it. Stop off at Troyes on the way in an F1. I think it's just going to be put back and put back...

Good Luck, I'll sit it out until the next update to see what looks like a goer, but I don't blame you. Smile
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader, still sitting on my thumbs too when do you think update will come, or possibility of just a delay being the first flight out ??
snow report
carled, Good for you.
I'm trying to figure out an alternative - I can get a bus to Paris, but tomorrow all the trains to BSM seem full. Puzzled
snow conditions
what's happening with cross channel ferries, direction Calais - Dover? Are they full too? Some people here were wondering about hiring a car and driving up to Calais - but would they get on a ferry?
ski holidays
.Ro,

Just received this Email from Raileurope

Quote:
Dear Customer

We have just been advised that the SNCF strike in France is continuing - although many services are now operating.

As you will see from the information below, most international services are showing as operating during the day and overnight, but you need to be prepared for disruption to services within France.

Saturday 17th April 2010 – Day services

International rail services:

EUROSTAR: Normal service (extremely busy due to air travel disruption)

THALYS: Normal service

TGV ALLEO (France >Germany day trains): Normal service

ARTESIA DAY (France>Italy): Normal service

LYRIA:

* Paris - Bern/Lausanne: 2 in 3 trains running
* Paris - Geneva: 2 in 3 trains running
* Paris - Zurich: Normal service

BRUSSELS – ZURICH: 90, 91, 96 and 97 will operate as normal.

TALGO DAY (Montpellier/Narbonne>Spain): Trains 463, 72, 71 and 460 are
cancelled.

TGV Brussels – France: 2 in 3 trains running

France:

TGV:

TGV Nord (services between Paris and northern France): Normal service.

TGV EST (services between Paris and eastern France): Normal service.

TGV Sud Est (services between Paris and south/south-eastern France): Normal service apart from the following:

* Paris-Lyon-St Etienne: Normal service but no trains stopping in St Etienne.
* Paris-Montpellier-Perpignan:

- 6219 Paris Gare de Lyon 19h20 Montpellier 22h38 CANCELLED

- 6204 Perpignan 05h31 Paris Gare de Lyon 10h41 CANCELLED

- 6208 Montpellier 10h21 Paris Gare de Lyon 13h48 CANCELLED

- 6212 Montpellier 14h21 Paris Gare de Lyon 17h49 CANCELLED

- 6216 Montpellier 16h20 Paris Gare de Lyon 19h49 CANCELLED

- 6220 Montpellier 18h21 Paris Gare de Lyon 21h49 CANCELLED

- 6232 Montpellier 12h21 Paris Gare de Lyon 15h49 CANCELLED

* Paris-Marseille-Nice:

- 6108 Toulon 07h19 Paris Gare de Lyon 11h31 CANCELLED

- 6122 Marseille 15h28 Paris Gare de Lyon 18h41 CANCELLED

- 6128 Marseille 17h28 Paris Gare de Lyon 20h45 CANCELLED

- 6123 Paris 17h16 Marseille 20h34 CANCELLED

- 6129 Paris 19h16 Marseille 22h34 CANCELLED

- 6132 Marseille 19h28 Paris Gare de Lyon 22h45 CANCELLED

- 6136 Toulon 05h33 Paris Gare de Lyon 09h31 CANCELLED

- 6138 Marseille 18h28 Paris Gare de Lyon 21h31 CANCELLED

- 6109 Paris Gare de Lyon 10h15 Hyères 14h35 will terminate in Toulon 14h16

- 6174 Vintimille 8h38 Paris Gare de Lyon 15h19 will start in Nice 9h35

- 6175 Paris Gare de Lyon 11h46 Vintimille 18h21 will terminate in Nice 17h24

* Paris-Avignon-Miramas: The following train only will run: 6196 Avignon Centre 12h39 Paris 16h11
* Paris-Bourgogne Franche Comté: 1 in 3 trains running

* Paris-Chambery-Annecy:

- 6467 Paris 09h10 St Gervais 14h12 will run, but will be attached to 6473 Paris 10h06 St Gervais 14h59

- 6486 St Gervais 16h51 Paris 21h43 CANCELLED

- 6964 Annecy 08h30 Paris Gare de Lyon 12h07 CANCELLED

TGV Atlantique (services between Paris and western France): Normal service

Téoz:

* Paris – Clermont-Ferrand: 1 in 2 trains running
* Bordeaux – Toulouse - Marseille: 1 in 2 trains running:

4754 Marseille 06h14 Bordeaux 11h47 will arrive late into Bordeaux (12h10 instead of 11h47). There will be an additional stop in Agen (10h58)

Paris – Limoges – Toulouse: 1 in 2 trains running

Metz / Strasbourg – Lyon: Normal service.

Intercités:

Eastern France: Normal service.

Northern France: Normal service
Normandy

* Paris - Rouen - Le Havre: Normal service.
* Paris - Caen - Cherbourg: Normal service
* Paris - Granville: 1 in 2 trains running

Western France: 1 in 3 trains running, with following exceptions:

Nantes - Bordeaux: These are the only trains/buses running

* 3833 Nantes 10h16 La Rochelle 12h04 then 68833 (bus) La Rochelle 12h15 to Rochefort 13h15 then train 21223 Rochefort 13h25 Bordeaux 15h19.
* 3852 Bordeaux 10h34 Rochefort 12h22 then 68852 (bus) Rochefort 12h30 La Rochelle 13h30 then train 21222 La Rochelle 13h44 Nantes 15h34.

Bayonne - Toulouse: 1 in 3 trains running.

Bordeaux - Lyon: All services CANCELLED

Southern and Central France:

· Paris - Orléans - Tours (Aqualys): 1 in 2 trains running, however no stops at Orléans.

· Paris - Bourges: 1 in 2 trains running

· Paris-Nevers: Normal service

Caen - Tours and Nantes - Tours - Lyon: 1 in 3 trains running

TER services (regional trains) are also affected in France, please refer to the TER website:

http://www.ter-sncf.com for further details. FRENCH ONLY!

Overnight services Saturday 17th April

Corail Overnight and Lunea: 1 in 3 trains running

ELIPSOS TRENHOTEL: Normal service, however:

* 409 Paris Austerlitz 19h47 Madrid 09h10 CANCELLED
* 406 Madrid 19h00 Paris Austerlitz 08.31 CANCELLED

So that might explain your problem.
latest report
And there is still strike action on the french railways Sad

Edit - cross post with the one above

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 16-04-10 16:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Just found a few mug shots of the culprit Smile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yahooeditorspicks/galleries/72157623855495574#photo_4476862865
ski holidays
pam w, there was plenty ferry availabiliy earlier with Norfolkline from Dunkerque
snow report
Dwarf Vader, ? to South Africa by rail from London???
snow report
For those driving, note that tonight is the start of the Paris Vacances de printemps too!

http://www.education.gouv.fr/pid184/le-calendrier-scolaire.html?zone=15&dept=&annee=5&cp=

Sad
snow report
altis, yeah, but although they'll clog up the roads, they're not generally going skiing.
latest report
Icelandic webcam of the volcano:

http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-valahnjuk/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy