Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

teaching mono

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
Hope you can help
I’m a T7 paraplegic and use a Mono-ski, I’m ok on piste, Red, Blacks not usually a problem but I could always improve as could all of us!
I’m thinking that I’d like to start exploring the possibility of starting to teach others, with a view to eventually maybe two or three years time doing a whole session somewhere, Jest like to know where and who I should be getting advice from, For example what’s the advantages/disadvantages of BASI or PSIA if I wanted to do a year or so in the states if I do BASI is this accepyible in the USA?
Would it be an advantage if I did some sort of first aide course here? And if so with who?
How do I get started and who should I talk to, any thoughts help would be great.
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, you can definitely qualify as an adaptive instructor in either BASI or PSIA. In the BASI scheme you can do all disciplines but would need to provide your own helper who would do hands on elements (eg tethering). So you can attend the courses in the standard manner. To teach on snow you would need to do the L2 snow based 2 week course. As you are an adaptive skier you can gain direct entry but need to be fully independent on lifts etc. (within the provisions of drag lifts - but certainly independent on chair lifts). You need to be comfortable and confident in skiing all pisted terrain without a helper for yourself. You will need to be able to show different styles of skiing to be able to demonstrate what a student may be doing and also then what they should be doing.

For PSIA it is a little harder for people not based in the USA. Their scheme has a system where you have a training weekend (typically early in a season) and and exam weekend (typically id to late season. In between you are expected to do development work with your ski school to get you up to the required standard. So this is a bit harder to do as a "one hit course". I believe that Rocky Mountain are also moving to a scheme whereby yiou can ski the prep weekend if you are signed off as ready by your ski school.

Most US ski schools will take BASI (and we can speak to them if they don't). However, the challenge now in the US is getting a visa to work. They changed the rules on seasonal worker visas a few years back and now there are fewer available. You would need to have a qualification first to get a visa. However, you could also go to the US as a volunteer to get up to speed on training etc and take the exams. Obviously in that scenario you would need to fund yourself.

Under BASI you need to do a first aid course to hod any qualification. Most people do the BASS type course as it is outdoor oriented vs the First Aid at Work style.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Tomichi
Thanks for the reply, on the strength of the fact that I could (if I chose to and could get the visa) teach in the states as well with the BASI, I decided to bight the bullet and take the next step.
I’m also in touch with a couple of BASI instructors by phone now so will lean on them for the benefit of advice and experience.
Thanks for your input.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK great, be great to see you on a BASI course (I am one of the Trainers). Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Met Man how did you get on, did you manage to get qualified or on a course? I'm also a mono-skier and very keen to do some instruction.

Another option for the instructor training is an internship in the US, I know the Breckenridge Outdoor Education Center (BOEC) do this (I’ve skied with them for over 10 years) and I also remember an English lad doing the same at Winter Park. The benefit is you get paid (only $50 a month) plus food and a bed to do the internship, and once done the experience and qualification would be well regarded. Check out their web site http://www.boec.org/internships/life-of-a-winter-intern/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well there’s nothing like a late reply!
I did indeed pass the level one adaptive course; although I do think it was by the skin of my teeth.
I’m now shadowing with Charlie up at MK. I have a long way to go before I’m happy with either my own skiing or my confidence as a teacher, however with that in mind it’s a great way to both improve your own skiing and put something back into a sport that’s given me so much.
If you’re thinking about doing it I can highly recommend it.
I’m looking at doing a season at some point but work commitments will put that on hold for the next two years, I have heard good things about challenge Aspin as well so who knows where this will take me.
Thanks to all who have got me this far.
snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi cgoodie,

It's great to hear that you're keen to get into instructing.

The Met Man has now been up to MK to shadow with me a couple of times and has been getting on really well with both sit-ski and stand-up lessons. So well, in fact, that one of our stand-up skiers has requested that he's here for their next lesson!

If you want any help/advice please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Best of luck with your instructing adventure Very Happy

Charlie
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Charlie DSUK,

How do you get started in being an adaptive instructor? Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi cgoodie,

The first step would be to take a look at the BASI website (www.basi.org.uk) and follow the links down the right of the page to the 'adaptive' discipline.

Here you will see the different levels of instructor and what each course involves. You do not need to have done an instructors course before to become an adaptive instructor, but you would need to start with the Level 1 qualification which covers bi-skiing and learning difficulties.

If it sounds like something you'd like to pursue it may be best to give me a call to discuss it a bit further if you wish as there are additional considerations when doing the course as a mono-skier.

C
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy