Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

low cost alternative to expensive helmet cams

Poster: A snowHead
Came accross this on ebay (approx 11stg) looks like a low cost alternative to expensive helmet cams

http://youtube.com/v/IhwuQz-47o4
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here's a video shot on the camera - there's a lot of dropped frames, so many that the output is irritating to watch. YGWYPF.

http://youtube.com/v/Akb-ca_gBoY&feature=related
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A class 6 memory card will sort the dropped frames
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
90% of headcam footage is irritating to watch dropped frames or not
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I used my Oregon ATC2K which I got for £25 in ToysRUs sale last week in Les Deux Alpes. Strapped it onto my daughter's helmet on the basis that she is faster and better than me Smile Not great quality but OK for the price.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Been noted before here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1450746
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a go pro HD (granted not cheap cheap. but i think even for the cost it is good value)

check out my vid
http://youtube.com/v/5bQ6y1HT5S0 from Val Disere, much better than photo's and the HD quality is very good
how anyone can say that it is not good to watch is beyond me, who likes sitting through 5 mins of other peeps photos? but a short film is much more enjoyanble IMHO and at £299 i think the go pro is good value for the quality you get.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gaffa tape! Laughing NehNeh Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
depthjunkie, the best thing about pictures is that people generally only post the best ones so you get to see the best frames of the day. Instead I was treated to some over-exposed piste skiing (although I didn't enjoy this as much as you riding the lift) followed by traversing through all the white-gold in the trees and not actually skiing any of it. I did find myself quite enjoying the small powder section, I was willing you to turn the whole way through it Toofy Grin

OK, maybe a bit harsh but definitely not better than most of the photos I have seen this year. Probably better suited to showing family and friends in your front room and watching for yourself to bring back the memories.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
depthjunkie, the best thing about pictures is that people generally only post the best ones so you get to see the best frames of the day. Instead I was treated to some over-exposed piste skiing (although I didn't enjoy this as much as you riding the lift) followed by traversing through all the white-gold in the trees and not actually skiing any of it. I did find myself quite enjoying the small powder section, I was willing you to turn the whole way through it

OK, maybe a bit harsh but definitely not better than most of the photos I have seen this year. Probably better suited to showing family and friends in your front room and watching for yourself to bring back the memories.

Is there something wrong with piste skiing??? im confused, when i go skiing with my wife on holiday this is what we do (ski on piste) as do 99.9% of the other folk i see.

Over exposed?? well to you maybe but deffo not to myself. You seem to be a bit of a cock with your reply, i posted to show an example of the go pro helemet cam for quality purposes to help other folk see it for themselves as i said for a £299 i think it is quite reasonable for what you get.

You have posted nothing constructive to the helmet cam thread other than to slag off and make a cock of yourself without contributing anything of worth.

maybe a bit harsh but your a COCK
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You said that your video was better than pictures and I disagreed giving a fairly in depth explanation of why I thought so. If anyone wants to see the potential quality of the GoPro HD I would advise they go here - http://vimeo.com/gopro

Didn't say there was anything wrong with piste skiing. Saying that 99.9% of people ski on groomed runs sounds like a bit of an exaggeration to me, almost as if you made the figure up.

If I had £1 for every time you had called me a cock I would be 0.010 of the way towards buying a GoPro HD.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
arv, that is a wee bit harsh and depthjunkie, keep it clean please...

IMO this is a nice home movie which is a great record of your trip and arv was out of order to comment on content as that is irrelevent to this thread.

There are many over exposed shots from the cam which is certainly a significant downside for a head cam used for skiing.
The shots clipped to the skis are a great quality with very balanced colours.

What is the sound quality like?

Just one last thing though (and contradicting my 2nd sentence in this post)....
Why use the music from House? I keep on thinking someone is about to collapse any second with some kind of unexplainable symptons that is probably not auto-immune but will be treated for that anyway at some point.

And I am hoping that the wide-angle lens is very wide angle... otherwise maybe you should take a look around you a little more when skiing....
1:49 - 1:53 ...
and
4:14 - 4:17 ...

You are obviously a confident skier so should have the experience to allow people a wee bit more room on the piste?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flangesax, I don't think it was irrelevant, depthjunkie commented on his preference of the head-cam footage to pictures and I just expressed different preferences. I'd much rather see pictures of people skiing groomed runs than a head cam footage of skiing a run that could very well be anywhere in the world.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulg, a class 6 memory card will not necessarily sort the frame-rate at all. Simply putting a faster card in crap hardware doesn't make a difference.

depthjunkie, the GoPro came out on top on a Gadget Show test - it was miles ahead of even the Contour HD. Thing is, you look like a tool when wearing it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I know a snowboarding company that uses the contour cam for their experience days.
These are fantastic and I think size/wearability is so much better than the gopro.
They can clip onto your goggle strap and stay-put nicely.
Big buttons on the back are great - slide to record and slide to stop. They have just updated the hardware to allow white-balance and exposure control (however this is via USB so may be a bit tricky to implement halfway through the day)
snow report
depthjunkie wrote:
Quote:
depthjunkie, the best thing about pictures is that people generally only post the best ones so you get to see the best frames of the day. Instead I was treated to some over-exposed piste skiing (although I didn't enjoy this as much as you riding the lift) followed by traversing through all the white-gold in the trees and not actually skiing any of it. I did find myself quite enjoying the small powder section, I was willing you to turn the whole way through it

Is there something wrong with piste skiing??? im confused, when i go skiing with my wife on holiday this is what we do (ski on piste) as do 99.9% of the other folk i see.

Over exposed?? well to you maybe but deffo not to myself. You seem to be a bit of a cock with your reply, i posted to show an example of the go pro helemet cam for quality purposes to help other folk see it for themselves as i said for a £299 i think it is quite reasonable for what you get.

You have posted nothing constructive to the helmet cam thread other than to slag off and make a cock of yourself without contributing anything of worth.

WOW. Awww, is your footage that bad?

POV footage is unbearable to watch at the best of times. The thought of watching someone piste skiing with one cracks me up.
ski holidays
arv, I think you were harsh, too. The thread is about cameras, and their pros and cons, not about who does the gnarliest skiing. Most of us only do the kind of skiing which is of interest to ourselves, and our nearest and dearest - but it's still useful to have a discussion about the merits of different cameras. I did a terrible film of my brother in law piste skiing in Les Saisies - my first ever video editing effort - and he loved it to bits because it reminded him of his holiday. Wasn't a helmet cam, I stood still with my HD video camera, or followed him down the piste holding it in my hand. Terrible wobbly filming, and terribly wobbly skiing too, come to that - but that was not the point!
snow conditions
hyweljenkins wrote:
paulg, a class 6 memory card will not necessarily sort the frame-rate at all. Simply putting a faster card in crap hardware doesn't make a difference.

Have a look on youtube, there are loads of videos on there of people using MiniDV MD80's without any dropped frame rate problems.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Mini%20DV%20MD80%20footage&search=Search&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&spell=1
latest report
pam w, fair enough. I could have worded it better but depthjunkie suggested that his video was better than any pictures and I just thought that I haven't seen photos that have appealed to me less than that video. I see where you are coming from.
snow report
I've worked it out now, a thread about helmet cams is just a helmet thread in disguise. Here's an idea, why not make the use of helmet cams compulsory wink
snow conditions
Agree that a fair bit of the snow scenes are overexposed, lost detail in the general whiteness. But otherwise a nice enough video that has me thinking about getting a cam for the next family trip. Will take a look if the local Aldi have still got one in their display case full of various unsold bits of gadgetry!
snow report
OK... I don't know how people are claiming the video is not overexposed. It is pretty overexposed in places. However its pretty understandable considering lighting is difficult when you have blue skies and acres of snow around...

I personally thought the way you edited it was more annoying than anything else. But! Each to their own. And if you post a video up on an internet forum, you should be thick-skinned enough to be able to handle some abuse. This isn't nursery school anymore.
ski holidays
Quote:

And if you post a video up on an internet forum, you should be thick-skinned enough to be able to handle some abuse.

I suppose that's fair enough - I certainly wouldn't post mine. Even if I didn't use any "off the shelf" trick transitions. wink But I think the quality of the video is fairer game than the quality of the skiing.
ski holidays
Quote:

Eyes + brain.
snow conditions
laundryman wrote:
Quote:

Eyes + brain.

and the lyricism of Laurie Lee with finger to keyboard . . .
latest report
The MD80s are clones of the Veho Muvis btw http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=61093
snow report
though agreed it was overexposed, i actually quite liked it.

and the quality of he pic is quite excellent
ski holidays
a hd helmet cam is on my list, not sure which one though.. helmet hero or countour? Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
milnerhome, check out the videos here: http://vimeo.com/gopro

Sells it to me...
latest report
flangesax,

"What is the sound quality like? "

Sound quality is pretty good with the non water proof door, with the water proof door it ok but not great.

"Just one last thing though (and contradicting my 2nd sentence in this post)....
Why use the music from House? I keep on thinking someone is about to collapse any second with some kind of unexplainable symptons that is probably not auto-immune but will be treated for that anyway at some point. "

Sorry i dont know what House is, the track is tear drops by massive attack. It's one of my fave singles off all time.

"And I am hoping that the wide-angle lens is very wide angle... otherwise maybe you should take a look around you a little more when skiing....
1:49 - 1:53 ...
and
4:14 - 4:17 ... "

Yes the angle of view is 170 degrees, the guy in the 1st clip i had too take evasive action, he started off the complete other side of the slope and just traversed along from one side to the other. if you re watch the clip you can see him from where he starts and where he finishes. i actually move over about 3 foot or so to avoid him on my last turn when i realise he aint stoping and is gonna keep cutting right across the piste.

the later clip we still had about 5-6ft between us if not a little more.

"IMO this is a nice home movie which is a great record of your trip"

thats all the vid is meant to be.

As for the over exposed comments, the camera did record what it was like. The over exposed bits are where the sun was really glaring off the snow. Blue skys/cloud/snow/sun/shade all at the same time is all ways gonna be tricky and IMHO i think the camera does a decent job.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 12-04-10 0:18; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
arv,

Sells it to me aswell, seems a good way to make a bit of a movie when no one wants to stand in perfect powder watching and filming people ski Wink Laughing

just seems a bit "dangly" if you get me... it sticks out a bit to much but there's a few falls filmed with 'em and they seem to keep attached.
ski holidays
milnerhome, there are cameras which are a lot better size wise (Contour, POV) but I think the GoPro has it nailed on quality. I figure I'd get plenty summer use out it as well, all in the name of trying to justify yet another ski related item I don't need.

depthjunkie, thanks for your constructive comments Wink
latest report
Quote:
milnerhome, there are cameras which are a lot better size wise (Contour, POV) but I think the GoPro has it nailed on quality. I figure I'd get plenty summer use out it as well, all in the name of trying to justify yet another ski related item I don't need.

depthjunkie, thanks for your constructive comments.

Your welcome,

the answer comes down to do you want to pose and have the sleeker looking cam. Or do you want the one that has the better image quality???

seeing as video is intended to be watched back at home i went for the image quality option. Do you look a bit of a knob with it on your noggin?? possibly?? but does it matter if the quality makes up for it??

one thing i will say for the go pro is the mounts clip in and off quite easy, so you can clip it on and off as required.
I did take a fall one day at quite fast speed. No problem with the camera staying on the mount, they do seem robust.

the other reason i went for the go pro is they are rated to 60m with the underwater back fitted. And my other hobby is tech diving. Cant see it being any good in the UK at 60m but in places like the red sea i think it will be pretty good. And anyone who knows about diving, will know that that camera (be it still or video) dont come cheap. So for me it was 2 bird one stone.
snow report
depthjunkie wrote:

It was overexposed at times. The piste is a harsh environment however and the quality was good overall. Having recently borrowed a mate's contour, that took fabulous quality shots, but was prone to basically not working. We lost hours and hours of what, to us, would have been good footage. arv would have been bored. wink

He did post constructive criticism. The fact you didn't like it doesn't make him a cock. You just come across as petty and childish by reacting so violently to what was quite reasonable criticism. Harsh, but he's entitled to his opinion whatever it is.

And please get your head around the correct "your/you're" to use as it really lessens the impact of your flouncy last line when you get such basics wrong. I say this as a veteran of many internet arguments. wink
snow report
Quote:

And please get your head around the correct "your/you're" to use as it really lessens the impact of your flouncy last line when you get such basics wrong.

carled, Laughing . That's why I never try to do clever retorts in French. Bound to be completely risible.
snow report
sorry depthjunkie but I don't like this:

Quote:

i had too take evasive action, he started off the complete other side of the slope and just traversed along from one side to the other. if you re watch the clip you can see him from where he starts and where he finishes. i actually move over about 3 foot or so to avoid him on my last turn when i realise he aint stoping and is gonna keep cutting right across the piste.

So you saw a chap traversing from one side of the piste to the other.
He was also clearly downhill.
FIS code mean anything to you?
Why should he have to stop?
Why should you have to take evasive action if you saw him so early on?

I also think that 5 or 6 foot away from an obvious learner on an otherwise empty piste is pretty foolish too...
snow conditions
Hang on...........lets get this straight

I was going down a piste that on my side was completly free. The other guy must have been at least 50m or more away when i started off. its only as i was going down i saw him cutting across the piste at the last minuate ( as he was originaly no where near my fall line when i started off) hence i took action and avoided him. Its only in watching the video back you realise how far the guy cut across the piste, as i said in the real time he was completly the otherside of the piste to start off with and i saw him cutting across last min in the corner of my eye and took action.

If not he would have been splat, so yes the uphill skier (me gave way) so yes i am aware of the FIS code and avoided spaltting the guy.

both the clips you are on about are on plan m ( a red piste/ so not a beginer slope) the bottom of the piste is probably about 20ft wide before opening back up to the main piste runs into the village. So with a guy the other side of the skier you are on about, plus me the other side with 5-6ft gap i fail to see how this is not giving ample room. as the 3 of us side by side are basicly covering the piste.

but hey what do i know you all seem to know or are a lot better than me, but hey in real life i see very few folk doing or skiing like you lot in your minds eye seem to think you do.
ski holidays
troll alert... I am bored.. the wife is out skiing with some mates and I am stuck in looking after the kids and watching the fresh pow fall... but hey should be out on it tomorrow!... anyhow...

Quote:

as i said in the real time he was completly the otherside of the piste

Does your camera not record in real time... some kind of special bullet-time function we should all know about?... if so I'd buy it!

Quote:

The other guy must have been at least 50m or more away when i started off

Plenty of time to see him traversing accross then... I mean I saw it in not 'real' time during the video...

Quote:

hence i took action and avoided him.

yes you avoided him... but according to your video you took absolutely no action

Quote:

So with a guy the other side of the skier you are on about, plus me the other side with 5-6ft gap i fail to see how this is not giving ample room. as the 3 of us side by side are basicly covering the piste.

Ever thought about slowing down?... stopping?.... or maybe turning?...

Anyhow what do I know?.. .after all I am just one of the few folk who...
Quote:

doing or skiing like you lot in your minds eye seem to think you do.
???? rolling eyes Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
Oh, FFS, here we go again - lets all stone the newbie to death rolling eyes

GIVE THE GUY A BREAK!
snow conditions
depthjunkie, you are remarkably defensive... You are relatively new here so you probably aren't aware of the depth of feeling on the subject of uphill/downhill skiers and their respective rtights or lack of them. You do have to bear in mind that there are many, many excellent and experienced skiers and boarders on this site (and many, many who are not) so don't be too quick to try and tar everyone with the same brush of "you all think you're better than you are".

In a nutshell, it doesn't matter if the skier below you fired up a rocket pack and traversed 50m of piste in a nanosecond to "get in your way" (ahem), you are the uphill skier and you have to avoid them, not the other way around. The ONLY exception to this is when the skier below is joining the piste you are on. If they go off-piste or join from an interconnecting run then they have no right to expect to be avoided, it's their lookout if they get cleaned up by someone on the piste already. In this case, the skier at 1:45 - 1:52 is quite clearly there early on (I can see them in the video at 1:45 the second the video transition from the previous shot happens and it's 7 seconds later that you almost collide. It was immediately obvious to me (and many others watching your video, no doubt) that the person was traversing and I, and many others on here, would no doubt have altered my line to pass behind them, thus avoiding any potential for collision.

The one a bit later was not quite so bad in my view, but could have been a whole lot worse if the beginner had carried on a bit further left. There would have been an unavoidable collision and I dare say that you probably wouldn't have considered yourself responsible as they had veered into your path? Looking at that video I don't see how you could possibly have stopped in time if that person had cut across you, but that's just my point of view, ironically enough, from your point of view...

Anyhow. This is nothing to do with video quality...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy