Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Veho Muvi - mini DV camcorder...anybody used one skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Bought one of these little babies last week with a sports pack for attaching to various things. Have bought new memory cards for it and generaly been experimenting a little but not properly yet.

Has anybody used one of these out skiing and if so any tips or recommendations for how you found it? we're off to Sauze d'oulx in 3 weeks so looking forward to taking a toy out with us to play with on the slopes and capture some cool videos we hope! I'm going to take it out this week and stick it on top of my riding helmet when I go out on the horse and see how it fares!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes.Tried out a muvi clone but comments would still apply.Picture quality was good dispite its small size. The main problem I had was the small buttons ,very very fiddely with cold hands or gloves. I was never fully sure if I was recording or not.Also at low temp-8 the battery gave up so keep it warm till just before use.I fould the bset I could do was rig it up whislt having a coffee and just let it run .I have now decided to buy a Mini DVR h720 which has a small bullet cam and small recorder which I can store somewhere warm,plus the main feature I think is useful,a remote way to control recording.For its size and cost the mini muvi is a good bit of kit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I treated myself to a Aiptek AHD Z500 Plus: HD bargain camcorder (http://crave.cnet.co.uk/camcorders/0,39029423,49297242,00.htm), and we took it away to Les Arcs last week. I was very impressed - its not helmet mountable, but easily goes in a pocket and is small enough to ski with it in a hand. The best bit is that I got mine for £99 Shocked Cool I will post some footage when I get a moment.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for replies.

Yeah it is definitely a good price for what is essentially just a bit of a plaything for us! Last holiday my bf and I were trying to film on our cameras and again they did not like the cold at all and generally skiing about with a camera is a bit of a pain. Means the only footage we have is basically straight line skiing or down very steady runs as wobble was too much otherwise so hoping with a bit of jiggery pokery and attaching to heads etc it will be good fun. I was a little concerned about it being fiddly and worrying about it filming or not when you ask it to and hoping for the best but have gathered there are flashing lights of varying colours which should provide some sort of indicator if not 100% reliable! worth a go anyway I hope Smile

If it's a success then I'm sure by all means we would upgrade to something a little flashier!

Would you recommend maybe warming it up again in a pocket with help of a handwarmer or something, or would the extremes in temperature be likely to damage it?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FiFi - just got a clone version myself. Taking it out at the beginning of April.

How did you get on and which category of micro SDHC card did you use?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
anyone tried these bargain clones from ebay for about £12?

Seem to be getting good enough reviews on bikeradar.....

ebay linky, seller is lucky2009-allen

sample video http://www.amateuretape.com/?p=412
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kitenski - that what I just got - £17 delivered. Video quality looks pretty amazing - considering size and price, that is - although playback is a bit jerky. I drove round nearby streets and it looked like I was doing 60 then barely moving. Trawling through the net for advice - I have decided to pick up a cat 6 micro sdhc card which should give a higher data transfer speed.

Will report the findings in due course.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It sells for considerably more at CPC:

http://cpc.farnell.com/_/md80-pocket/camera-digital-mini-head-armstrap/dp/CS17862
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fifespud, cheers, reckon I am going to order one, £12.88 delivered from that seller I linked to....and yes over on the bikerader forums there is loads of discussion, class 6 card seems to be a must...

Discussion is here http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12666507
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One thing to watch out for is cards from ebay. It may be advertised as a class 6 but may be fake.

I use a Peak Performance (not the ski gear) Happy class 6 bought on special from a now defunct shop for my eeepc. Better than a similar priced Sandisk and get 25Mb/sec data speed.
ebuyer is good for specials on cards
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ebuyer seems a good company - I've had several items from them and have always been well pleased with service and what I have received and would recommend them to anyone that hasn't tried them before.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
liking the look of the 8gb Samsung on amazon

Samsung 8GB Micro SD Plus Memory Card (Class 6) for £16.49 delivered, it supposedly comes with:

10 Year Warranty
Waterproof - Innovative epoxy moulding compound tech helps over 24 hours in sea water
Shock proof - Survives high pressure, including the crush of a 1.6ton automobile
Magnet-proof - Resists over 13 times the magnetic force of home theater speakers
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MINI-DV-SMALLEST-BLACK-POCKET-USB-DIGITAL-VIDEO-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ220572176153QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders?hash=item335b204f19

The above is a link to the shop where I got mine.

As I say playback on todays test was jerky but otherwise amazing. Just tried it in the house and it likes natural daylight much better.

I bought a peak cat 6 card on the way home so will try again tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all - reporting findings on the Muvi...

managed to get loads of video whilst out in Sauze using 2 8gb and 1 2gb cards. The 8gb were the class 6 cards and were a massive improvement on the 2gb standard card which we had knocking about. the 2gb was really jerky and almopst flickered throughout.

We used the sports pack provided and with my bf's peaked hat, attached it to the front of his head with the elastic strap and it stayed on absolutely no problem at all and having a "base" with the peak seemed to give it some stability. Between us we had a system where he wore the camera and each time we wanted it on I would put it on turn it on and adjust for him and be checking at points throughout the morning/afternoon/period of using camera what the lights were doing (was the card full/battery out etc). We did seriously regret not taking the insruction book with though us as initially we couldn't figure out what lights meant what but we soon grasped it though as it was relatively simple.

Quality wise you do get what you pay for and at the end of the day it was only a £50 gadget and not worth hundreds of pounds so that needs to be taken into account. It could be a little bit jerky and jumpy at times which is partly due to the nature of the sport, clarity was good overall and we had it on some times when snowing heavily and it didn't break or take on moisture at all. Sound wasn't bad in that you could hear what was being said but not amazing. It was not up to the quality of a proper video camera but wasn't far off that of a digital camera but with the bonus of not having to worry about it where it was on your head.

We only used this with the intention of having a mess around and seeing how we looked skiing, hairing it down a few runs, doing some little tricks and things and really just for fun to be able to watch back and reminisce. I'm not sure if I would recommend this for any serious skiing or boarding footage to be honest. That said, for us it really was good fun though and much better than carrying a digital in your hands which we tried the year before and whilst better quality film, it hardly lasted at all in the cold. The little Muvi monster lasted ages out in well below freezing temperatures before we would give it a break and warm it up in the coat pocket during lunch or on a lift. Since being home I have taken this out horseriding and it again was great but didn't like being thrown up and down in trot! long fast gallops looked pretty cool though!

Overall I would recommend this to casual skiiers or boarders or just people in a group wanting to play about filming one another Smile

FiFi x
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi , used this with the micro sd card supplied on an overcast day at Cairngorm and I must admit I was pleasantly surprised by the results.Playback was a bit shakey as I had no time to prepare a proper fitting so I simply clipped it onto my jacket with the supplied clip.I am intending to upgrade card to an 8gb class 6 and fit the camera to my helmet.Going by what ive seen already I think this will provide pretty decent results.For the price of the camera and fitting kit I dont think youll get much better , the size is a bonus too.Have fun Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
I use a flip and I have to say, its fantastic. One button to start. One to stop... and I have the Mino HD which provides HD video.

And to cap it off... it just plugs directly into any PC and loads up!
ski holidays
Just completed he test run with the cat 6 sd card. Very pleased with the results. The hardest thing is going to be knowing if its recording and pointing in the right direction.

Mark this thing is tiny compared to a flip - maybe a 5th of the size and only weighs 50g. And it plugs straight into any pc, no drivers required and you can pull the videos off with drag and drop.
latest report
Really? Cool. I'd love some "downhill" footage to add to the point and shoot stuff that my Flip gives me.

There's a great thread on another part of the forum which links to some off-piste stuff. The quality of that is awesome!
snow report
mine has just arrived from Hong Kong, can't believe how small it is! I'm thinking of using the supplied clip to attach either to my jacket or my rucksack chest strap and see what happens.....
ski holidays
There's a less-than-glowing review today over at el Reg:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/05/25/review_camcorder_veho_muvi_atom_vcc_004/
snow conditions
here's a video I did with my twelve quid ebay device....it was mounted onto the chest strap of my rucksack, think it needs a firmer mount in future.....

http://youtube.com/v/Zu2ggi5Vutg
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
here's a video I did with my twelve quid ebay device....it was mounted onto the chest strap of my rucksack, think it needs a firmer mount in future.....

http://youtube.com/v/Zu2ggi5Vutg
Oh I feel sick!
ski holidays
I bought my muvi a few months ago and the quality was surprisingly good, however now it won't seem to turn on Sad
I'm not sure what is wrong with it but t just won't switch on or record!
snow conditions
How do you fix it to your helmet? my helmet is very smooth with no holes for fixings. Does it need the waterproof housing?
ski holidays
Quote:

brizatow
user
I bought my muvi a few months ago and the quality was surprisingly good, however now it won't seem to turn on
I'm not sure what is wrong with it but t just won't switch on or record!

Sat 05 Jun, 10
Greetings and apologise for 5 year delay in responding. Actually I was searching Muvi forums/ references to see if there was any solutions to a problem just encountered with my Veho Muvi micro camera which after 3 years good varied usage has now stopped functioning. The flashing lights no longer come on so all that happens is now steady green light with no recording despite trying 3 separate micro sd cards. This happened a few weeks ago out off Florida coast, when it was inside waterproof case on my head whilst sitting was canoeing in and around mangrove islands. Great shame as I had potential footage of Dolphins and manatees encountered. This lovely little camera has taken great skiing, snorkelling, boating, biking and golfing footage and will be sadly missed. This forum however gave me contacts for cheap EBay clones one of which I have just ordered for £6.23 so would appreciate any comments on fixing my original or whether the clones will work with original veho muni accessories which are very good

13:51     

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy