Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pure Powder ski recommendation

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

I've been reading the forums as an "anon" for a while now, theres some great info in here, so thanks for everything so far.

At the moment I ski a K2 coomba, this had started with the idea of being just a powder ski, but it’s so great all over the mountain that I use it every day. I guess for icy surfaces there would be better skis, but I tend to avoid it where I can! My one qualm with the coomba is that it's a little soft, and it lacks the surfey feeling in the deepest powder. I like to ski fairly aggresively I'm about 5"9 and 70kg, I ski the coomba in 174cm, I'd probably go slightly longer in the next ski.

So, I'm after a pure no compromise powder ski. I've skied the Volkl Kuro, in less than great conditions, but I really rated it. The other skis I had picked out to were the Line EP pro, K2 hellbent and the K2 Darkside, I haven’t had a chance to try these yet but hopefully will soon. I wonder if anyone else has any other recommendations?

Cheers in advance

Mark
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHead

Whitedot Freeride Redeemer or Faction Royale. Enjoy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
powdermutt, hellbents....they are sooooo easy...mount them at +7 and you will be riding switch in nipple deep in no time!!...

okbye
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
parlor wrote:
Welcome to snowHead

Whitedot Freeride Redeemer.

Just waxing mine up at the moment hoping for powder later in the week but they're getting a run tomorro whatever the conditions, can't wait. (note to self: don't get blind tonight you might get powder up top tomoro if you hit first lifts).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hellbents, no question, amazing skis!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
milnerhome wrote:
Hellbents, no question, amazing skis!

If you liked those, you'll love the Factions.

RPF I've just put together some clips from recent seasons, I found a load of shots from 3rd April 2008, easily the deepest snow I've ever skied in Verbier... Hold on, the best is yet to come...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
powdermutt, welcome to snowheads. Are you by any chance Mark the pilot?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys some good suggestions coming in here. Does anyone have a rough idea of the flex of say kuro vs hellbent, and hellbent vs royale?

Cheers

Mark

PS. spyderjon, yep its me. Hows things? You managing to cope back in blighty sans heated toilet seats?!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
powdermutt, Another one to consider if you are after a pure powder ski is the Line Prophet 130 - lots of flotation and well rated - as you are probably aware Eric Pollard is one of their sponsored athletes. My missus has just bought the Line Celebrity 90 mm waist (womens specific ski) - she is very happy with her choice - more of an all rounder. All in all great ski's.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
powdermutt, Deepest powder, no comprise ? You need this
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
powdermutt, assuming there's some fresh at the weekend I will have a swap with RPF and you can have 2 opinions on the Kuros vs the Redeemer's. I've got 185 Kuro's and am a big fan (and have skied them everywhere since the start of January). Haven't tried the Hellbents, Darkside or Line's I'm afraid.

What conditions did you ski the Kuro's in? They are at their best in powder or wind crust. Not so good when you are going through to a hard base or in heavy debris where thy can get knocked around a bit.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I also like the Hellbents at +7 much better than reccomended. Doesn't mean you will though. I find the Bents pretty surfy and they are, of course, much softer than Coombas and so don't do crud nearly so well. If you have the option then try all your options out. Otherwise make a rough guess and go on price.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Royales are slightly stiffer than the Hellbents, they also have slightly less rocker which means they do cope with hard pack far better than the Hellbents - which I understand are still pretty good considering the size / shape etc...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
K2 coomba, this had started with the idea of being just a powder ski, but it’s so great all over the mountain

Yup - its a really great ski...
Really easy and fun to ski on all types of snow.

Sadly mine have died (ripped the edge!)

Quote:
My one qualm with the coomba is that it's a little soft

True...

Though just be aware the softer flex is one of the things that makes the Coomba usable on piste / bumps / harder snow.

Quote:
I like to ski fairly aggresively I'm about 5"9 and 70kg, I ski the coomba in 174cm

Well then you should be on the 188cm wink
Far too many people buy wide skis then get them in too a short length.
The extra length will add more surface area and flotation
And also make the ski feel stiffer / more stable at speed.

Something like a Pontoon / Fly Swatter / JJ (or other reverse camber ski) would be the obvious suggestion for a dedicated powder ski. Just dont expect lots of days in Europe where they have snow deep enough for it!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bobinch, I skiied the kuros mostly on tracked powder, but managed to climb to get a few turns in the real fresh snow. They seemed all most to be like the coombas, but after a heavy dose of steroids, which is really what im looking for. If you could manage to do a comparison between them and the Redeemers that would be much appreciated!

After a little more research the prophet 130's seems pretty interesting too. The one small reason putting me off the ep pro and hell bent etc is that their design seems to be heavily based around skiing/landing switch in powder, which isnt going to happen with me driving, at least not intentionally!

Thanks again for the advice so far guys, keep it coming and I'l keep growing this demo list. If anyone fancies sacrificing anything to the powder gods for Chamonix this weekend...that would be helpful too!

Cheers

Mark
snow report
Another (and rather biased!!) vote for the Redeemer, check out Praxis and DPS from the states aswell!
latest report
the_doc wrote:
Another (and rather biased!!) vote for the Redeemer, check out Praxis and DPS from the states aswell!

For "not a powder ski from the big companies..."

- Whitedot Freeride (http://www.whitedotfreeride.com)
- Storm Skis (http://www.stormskis.com)
- Birdos (http://www.birdos.com)
- Praxis (rabid cult following in North America) http://www.praxisskis.com
- ON3P (rabid cult following in North America) http://on3pskis.com
- SkiLogik (http://www.skilogik.com)
- DPS (rabid cult following in North America) (http://www.dpsskis.com)
- Kingswood (http://www.kingswoodskis.com)

Or search the listing...filter by "Powder Skis":

http://www.exoticskis.com/ExoticSkis/list.aspx

I just visited Fallline Bootfitting in Chamonix, and they still have some White Dot Redeemers, and a rare pair of Kingswood powder skis at decent pricing!
The most advanced pure-powder shapes seem to be coming from the champagne powder regions of the USA and are produced by DPS, Praxis and ON3P. Kingswood has a new rockered ski "RockerType" (I have not seen it yet).

You need to ask yourself if you want a "pure" deep-snow ski (flat or full rocker with pintail and narrowed-to-flared tip or full "reverse-reverse" geometry) or a more "multi-surface" fat ski (cambered underfoot with tip and tail rocker...hourglass sidecut)....the "pure" powder skis are like cheating in pure powder and cannot be surpassed in their element, but can be "challenging" on the groomers getting back to a lift. (very specialized but superb).

The answer is to buy both !

DPS has an interesting hybrid coming:

latest report
Don't forget PM Gear too, they seem to have a rather rabid cult following wink
snow report
powdermutt, Hi fella, nice to see you on here snowHead

Get some proper skis wink

ski holidays
Frontier Powder Ski, I'll get some more info up tomorrow.....

139 underfoot, bamboo core. Epic.
ski holidays
powdermutt, If you are in Chamonix at the weekend Fall line bootfitting has Whitedot test skis so you could try the Redeemers there.
Things are to cool down soon so maybe the powder Gods will dump on us for the weekend.
snow report
I have Redeemers, was skeptical about the size but they are really easy to control in any type of soft snow. The float takes some getting used to.
snow report
another vote for redeemers from me
ski holidays
Right, hopefully it'l puke this weekend and I'l demo the redeemers. Thanks for the suggestions on the "boutique" brands, I'm determined this time though to buy a ski that I have tried and compared to a few other's as opposed to just on a review. Whilst this worked out on the coombas, I think I got pretty lucky!

Can anyone talk me through the benefits/drawbacks of running a twin tip, like the EP pro or hellbent against a more traditional shape, darkside, kuro, prophet 130 etc if I dont intend to ski titty deep pow backwards?

Cheers

Mark
snow conditions
RPF, where's the test? just in case I'm in the neck of the woods
ski holidays
under a new name, Fall line bootfitting have test skis at the shop all season AFAIK.

arv, agree I had them out yesterday in crust and chop and I was expecting them to try to kill me they didnt. The rocker made them easy to turn in tight spots and they never hooked up in the crust like some of my stiff cambered skis. I was very impressed in less than ideal conditions. Cant wait to get them in the powder. snowHead
snow report
The redeemers sure are a lot of fun. I've only had a half day on them on spring sugar with some heavy powder off piste, but they pretty much cut through it all. They're funny on piste - perfectly rideable but, man, you get some chatter!
ski holidays
RPF, ahhh, I may pop in, just out of curiosity, y'know.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
powdermutt wrote:
Can anyone talk me through the benefits/drawbacks of running a twin tip, like the EP pro or hellbent against a more traditional shape, darkside, kuro, prophet 130 etc if I dont intend to ski titty deep pow backwards?

Can't think of any. I'm sure the skis are still made like that to look cool. IMHO it's a pain in the backside, skins don't attach properly, making a bomber anchor is tough, even standing your skis in the snow is hard. You get rooster tails which just annoy folk behind you and you loose some effective edge.

The I re-read your message. My rant above is about twin tips on fat skis, you are actually talking about tail rocker (or reverse camber on certain skis). The advantage of this is the way you can turn the skis, you can be stood directly over the skis and change direction just by pivoting them, why you ask? because it's fun. It all depends on the type of skiing you want to do and where you want to do it. Double rockered or reverse camber skis are a real blast in the trees, and give a real jibby feel.
latest report
Best thing about twintips (if you're not a freestyler) is the rooster tail - brilliant for cutting your mates up and blinding them, and it looks pretty cool too.

I think you're tlaking about tail rocker though, as parlor, mentions above.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Best thing about twintips (if you're not a freestyler) is the rooster tail - brilliant for cutting your mates up and blinding them, and it looks pretty cool too.

I think you're tlaking about tail rocker though, as parlor, mentions above.

..My darkest pleasure on the slope! haha Laughing
ski holidays
ok more info on the Frontier ski as promised.

Their powder ski has the dimensions: 158 - 139 - 144 182cm length

Frontier skis have a bamboo core and are hand made. They are designed specifically for Niseko, Japan.

They are a fairly stiff as far as powder skis go, but this is to maximize speed through the powder.

Trust me these skis are amazing!

Picture of the ski next to a 189cm K2 Hellbent.....

snow conditions
Could always check out the atomic bent chetler as well! twin rocker 123 underfoot with camber... the best thing about the ski is that it can be skied on piste with ease so getting to the powder feilds is a breeze! Think it has been very highly thought of in fall line next year wink

I also have 10/11 ones in stock already! Happy
ski holidays
parlor wrote:

Can't think of any...

You get rooster tails which just annoy folk behind you and you loose some effective edge.

Surely getting rooster tails is the only & possibly greatest advantage to having a twintip on a powder ski?
ski holidays
frank4short wrote:
parlor wrote:

Can't think of any...

You get rooster tails which just annoy folk behind you and you loose some effective edge.

Surely getting rooster tails is the only & possibly greatest advantage to having a twintip on a powder ski?

Rooster tails are great and worth having a twin for alone.

I've always had a theory that the tail gives you the benefit of surface area without the penalty of effective edge (e.g. in trees, tight spots etc).i.e. even without rocker the twin gives you greater response at a given length (or enables you to pint compensate while still being a girly man) . I buy into parlor's PITA doctrine too as obviously do a number of manufacturers who seem to have gone rpound cutting the twins off their pure freeride skis.
ski holidays
Rooster tails =/= fun. You can't actually see your own rooster tails, unless you are actually skiing switch and then you didn't need a twin anyway because 1) your tip is now your tail and 2) the forward lean of your ski boots mean that you can ski your flat tails backwards without having a gay turn up. Skiing behind someone with a rooster is gay. When you ski real powder you don't need a rooster tail, you leave a cold smoke trail anyway, skiing anything else means that your rooster tail is basically a skin scouring indicator that you enjoy anal discharge but because your boyfriend doesn't ski you settle for a twin tip.

And by FAR the gayest this about twin tips is that punters seem to think that they are some kind of "really cool" different type of ski. Have a scroll through this section and see how many, "recommend me a twin tip" threads there are.

Twin tips = jester hats.

Within 5 years you will only see twins on dedicated park / pipe skis. Even the "backcountry jib" skis won't be true twin because they'll all have rockered tails anyway. Wink

Maybe I'm just getting old. Sad
snow report
Elliot_Simcock, what's the camber like on those things? Post pictures...
snow conditions
parlor wrote:

Have a scroll through this section and see how many, "recommend me a twin tip - I'm an advanced intermediate and confident on reds" threads there are.
(

slightly amended..

Saying that by Parlors measure I'm SUPERGAY as I have two pairs of TT. COO-EY SAILOR
ski holidays
parlor wrote:

Twin tips = jester hats = Smurf outfits

latest report
parlor wrote:
Elliot_Simcock, what's the camber like on those things? Post pictures...

They are fairly flat I'll go grab some more pictures today for you to have a look at. The radius of the ski is 50m, a proper powder ski.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy