Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Things you dread in a shared chalet

Poster: A snowHead
Dr John wrote:
although if I find myself in the same chalet as that twunt with the guitar again he'll be wearing it for a hat.

He struck a chord with you then. Toofy Grin

Don't fret about it. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
geepee, aye, I probably shouldn't fret about it so much...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
curse your edit button
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Still it might be a good place to pickup women, and perhaps indulge in a little fingering.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone who is there on they're own.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The closest I got to the chalet situation was on the EoSB when we had 4 x shared rooms in the Oxalys appartment. I have to admit that for me (who had been starved of social company for years at the time) the idea of an appartment full of new folks to chat to was one of the weeks many plus points. Maybe it was because everyone there was great that I didn't have any problems with the concept, and would happily share in a similar situation again like a shot.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chippy poor people who can't talk properly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman, Watneys? good lord man, how long ago was this?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We've only done two chalet holidays, both times we got on OK with the others but the poor newly wed couple who were learning to ski and were sharing a bunk room probably disagreed, although they were very friendly. The second occasion was a better mix of couples and families with older children. Our kids went off skiing around Arc 2000, we joined up with some of them for a ski, and it was very sociable. Food was excellent, staff great, and as it was the end of the season, and there was plenty left in the kitty, with lots of wine.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Clients who worry about the other clients!!

Can honestly say in the 2 seasons we ran chalets very very few didn't run smoothly and the ones that didn't tended to be when a single group had booked it!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not keen on the whole chalet experience myself. Apart from the fact that single rooms are rare and TOs like to charge rather a lot for empty beds, they never seem very private. Much prefer the privacy of my own ensuite hotel room.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dr John wrote:
Spyderman, Watneys? good lord man, how long ago was this?
1984 I think, it was crap beer even back then.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia, both chalets I've stayed in had their own ensuite bathrooms and loos.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, You're staying in the wrong chalets......
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen BeamontThat sounds like a description of a load of bedsits with a communal living area and kitchen. Round where I live, a bedsit is about £300 per month (approximately the £9 per night I posited earlier). Still sounds like people staying in these so-called 'chalets' are being royally scammed.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, The Voice of Reason, only did it once to be honest and it put me right off. It was expensive compared to a hotel, the food was bland and very British (I prefer to sample local cuisine), I had to share the bathroom (although I did have my own loo) and the chalet was full of noisy kids.

Pretty sure I'd never bother again unless a group of friends booked a whole chalet and invited me.
snow report
paulio, Really? It sounds like a chalet with all rooms ensuite to me? Maybe it is aimed at the 'toff' market, and therefore wouldn't interest you anyway, you young scallywag, you....
snow conditions
Can you hear people humping in the adjacent rooms, like you always can in similar setups (such as a student house)?

I'd probably pay a few quid extra for that.
ski holidays
paulio, In my experience, no....but they can hear me and the good lady making the beast with two backs. Even from the other side of the valley.
latest report
queen bodecia, I much prefer to sample the local food too, I haven't done chalet hols for a long time now. Price suited us for last minute deals on a couple of occasions. We were also lucky with the food.
latest report
queen bodecia, As a vegetarian, how do you find the local cuisine? I have often found that local fair in any alpine region often consists of a whole heap of meat, and not necessarily the nice cuts you can pick up in your local Waitrose.....sure, there are vegetables too, or even salads, but I would not have deemed these to be 'local' in the general sense of the term.....you can get a plate of salad and a potato almost anywhere
ski holidays
So let me get this right. So-called 'skiers' are paying literally thousands of pounds, to stay for just 1 week in a house in a remote location in Switzerland, with other people's children and a communal hot tub.

Sounds a bit suspect to me.
snow conditions
paulio, I think you are looking at the sort of internet sites which get me into trouble again....

Having said that, I do know of a private chalet owner who has been approached about hiring out for 'private parties'. The money being offered was fantastic, and well worth the inevitable clean up and de-grease which would follow
latest report
I hear what everyone is saying about trying the local cuisine but a little bit of context is required here I think. We're talking about, predominantly, France Austria and Italy i.e. tartiflette, schnitzel or pasta, it's not exactly still beating snakes heart in the foreboding jungles of Laos, is it?

And there is always lunch...

*spilling mishtakes adjusted*

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 16-03-10 15:21; edited 2 times in total
snow report
D&V bugs.
snow conditions
Dr John, vegetarian schnitzel? What's that? Battered carrots? And tartiflette without lardons and charcuterie sounds to me like cheese and potato pie by any other name.....hardly something to rave about
ski holidays
The Voice of Reason, with you all the way. No disrespect to queen bodecia, but when one takes the choice to become vegetarian one also relinquishes the right to food criticism.
latest report
My shared chalet nightmare?
Turning up to find that the rest of the guest are a bunch of red hot swedish girls, that hate to wear anything but skimpy stuff when in the chalet, love hot tubs, are ski/snowboard instructors, are all just out of serious relationships and looking for some holiday fun....and are the sharing type...
wait... no...that's the wrong one...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Excellent Thread ..pml

I am all those people AND I watch Barney the Dinosaur at breakfast !
snow conditions
Kruisler, now if Carlsberg did chalets ........
ski holidays
The Voice of Reason wrote:
..... People who sit and preach about how much better it is to go self catering, it's so much cheaper, and of course we drove, it only took 14 hours, and we get to fill the car up with reblochon on the way home. The Eurostar was 'free' with our Tesco vouchers, and we avoided the roadworks on the E17 by detouring through a little village de blah blah and taking Jemima out of school is so easy because her Headmistress is lovely, and we bought our helmets as christmas present to each other, and we got our snow tyres off ebay and the chains were so easy to fit with the money we saved on tolls by purchasing our vignette online and those new fangled skis are really awesome and we found hot chocolate on the mountain for only 3 euros and we took sandwiches and ate them on the lift and of course we normally head to a quaint little resort near the Swiss border, you would never have heard of it, there are no English there, only locals and it is only 5 euros a day for a family pass and we got 34 mpg by leaving the windows up and coasting down hill and watch out for speed cameras and aren't boarders wacky sitting in the middle of the slope on the blindside of the rollers but we won't get on the chairlift with them because they knock us over when we dismount, but it is not as bad as the drag lift to Italy in La Rosiere, have you ever been there? and the local ski school are so much better than the ESF, who Jemima didn't get on with last year because they didn't speak fluent English with a Leicestershire accent they were recommended by a complete stranger on an internet forum we use have you heard of it and would you mind awfully not smoking outside the chalet because of little Jemimas cough and the passive smoke is much worse for her than sitting in front of a roaring fire driving us all mad with the constant pinging from her Nintendo DS and and and......I could go on

why didn't you just write .... snowHeads..... Little Angel
snow report
(rayscoops, because some of them don't realise they are like that wink )
latest report
rayscoops, The Voice of Reason, SEDITION! Burn the heretics!

Run, run for your very lives before the DIY Superiority Crew (DSC for short) descend* on us like ravenous locusts....

*thank you VOR

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 16-03-10 15:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
*descend
snow report
paulio wrote:
I've never stayed in a shared chalet. Presumably they're really cheap due to having to bunk up with total strangers, are they? Like staying in a dormitory room at a cheap Amsterdam hotel. Normally I stay in small self-catered places for about a £15 or £20 pppn. How much could I save by staying in one of these horrible-sounding 'communes'?

Yes that's exactly what they are like, you'd totally hate it. Stay well away and holiday alone, leave those who end up in such places to endure their terrible ordeal rolling eyes
latest report
paulio, That's it ... again - stay clear! the likes of you would have a terrible time there.
snow report
Dr John, You're welcome
snow conditions
I love being one of this so-called 'the likes of me'. I've never met the others, though they sound like a great bunch.
ski holidays
skim wrote:
Cathy - you've obviously never stayed at the Morris in Val D.

The 'Chalet Hotel' Morris in Val D is the one such place I HAVE stayed. Did a lads trip there a couple of years ago.

Cheap, cheerful, single rooms at no supplement, excellent food and right above one of the busiest bars in Val D.

Absolutely perfect for a 'lads week' and we had a great time. I wouldn't describe it as a 'chalet' though. It's a hotel.

And there were no kids, Purple dinosaurs or guitars in evidence. Toofy Grin

Jumpin Jack Flash and his mates were there at the same time, but we didn't let that spoil things. NehNeh
latest report
Joanne Mountainsun wrote:
Stay well away and holiday alone

Also, why would anyone holiday alone? That sounds grim. I always holiday with my extremely large numbers of friends, or my loving family.

Although I suppose if I wasn't fortunate enough to have such wonderful people around me, I would probably choose to pay thousands of pounds to bunk up with total strangers, and then complain about the experience on the internet!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy